Chapter 22

Seoul, Saranghae
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seunghyun came down from his room one night, only to find Natalie fidgeting with some knobs on the stove. "You making dinner tonight, Chef Natalie?" he asked, walking up behind her.

 

"It's getting a bit late and my parents aren't home yet, so I figured I should," she said as she waited for the pot of water to boil, "I hope you like spaghetti."

 

"Do you need any help?" he asked, hugging her from behind as he so often did.

 

"That's alright," she assured him, "The sauce is already simmering, and the meatballs are in the oven. All I have left to do is boil the pasta."

 

"Ah, but I'm bored," Seunghyun hummed, "Entertain your guest."

 

Natalie scoffed playfully, "Are you saying I'm boring? Go play with my cat or something."

 

"Your cat hates me," Seunghyun laughed, having accepted this fact by now, "You're more fun."

 

Natalie jumped as he poked her side, her most ticklish spot. "Seunghyun, stop! I need to cook dinner!" she laughed. But even when she tried to move, Seunghyun wouldn't let go of her. "The sauce is going to burn," she sighed. She managed to pour the spaghetti noodles into the pot, and she checked on the meatballs to see how they were doing. Finally, she had an idea.

 

"Fine, if you really want a job, go make a salad," she instructed.

 

"What?"

 

She pulled a head of lettuce out from the fridge and handed it to him. "Tear some lettuce, and make a salad. It's very simple; I think you can handle it." Seunghyun pouted, reluctantly taking the lettuce with a muffled reply of assent. Her plan succeeded, allowing Natalie to get back to work. By the time the pasta was done cooking, Natalie had retrieved a strainer from the cupboard and emptied the pot of its contents.

 

"Seunghyun, can you take the meatballs out of the oven?" she asked as she rinsed the spaghetti with cold water. Seunghyun turned off the oven and opened the door, and as he reached for the tray, Natalie managed to yell at him just in time. "Oven mitts!" she cried, and Seunghyun pulled back his hand.

 

"Oh, right," he said, scratched his head with a sheepish grin.

 

With the meatballs left to cool on the counter, Natalie served out the spaghetti and sauce. "Come tell me how much sauce you want," she called him over, still holding the pot and spoon in her hands.

 

Seunghyun poked her side again, and she yelped.

 

"I told you not to do that! Especially not when I'm holding a pot of spaghetti sauce. I don't need it spilling everywhere," she scolded him.

 

"I didn't do anything," Seunghyun couldn't hold in his laugh, showing how terrible of a liar he was.

 

"You watch yourself," Natalie glared, waving the spoon in his direction.

 

A splatter of sauce landed on his cheek just as she flicked the spoon, and her jaw dropped.

 

"I'm sorry! I'll get you a napkin," she said quickly, but Seunghyun had a certain look in his eyes and she recognized it immediately. "Don't you dare," she warned him, "I'm going to put this pot down, and you better not touch it."

 

She went to tear a napkin from the roll on the other side of the kitchen counter, and as soon as she turned back around, she froze. Seunghyun held the saucy spoon like a loaded catapult, ready to let it go at any moment.

 

"Come on now," she said carefully, holding the small square of napkin up as a shield, "You don't really want to do this."

 

"Oh, but I think I do," Seunghyun grinned.

 

"Seriously, Seunghyun! I don't want to make a mess," she pouted, and he sighed, close to giving in.

 

"Fine," he said, but then held up his finger mischievously, "But only if you this off of my face."

 

Natalie's face went blank, and she stared at him in disbelief. Seunghyun just waited.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter