We Should Do This More Often.

Maybe In The Next Life.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“No…”

Kai grabs your shoulder gently as tears make two trails down your cheeks. Kai led you here and now you two are standing in front of the room where Chanyeol is, an ICU room. You lean closer to the glass window, where you can see Chanyeol clearly. He looks paler than before and you don’t have to exactly touch his face or hold his hand to know they are freezing cold; maybe even colder than they usually are. The oxygen mask over his face didn’t really make you any less worried either. For once again, your heart prepares itself. It’s almost 3 months, you say inwardly. 3 Months left.

Kai squeezes your shoulder comfortingly, telling you, “He’ll be fine.” Everyone in this hospital seems to like this sentence a lot. I’ll be fine, you recall Chanyeol saying. You focus your attention to Kai and he apologetically look away. “I’m sorry,” he begins, removing his hand from your shoulder and grabs the back of his neck. “I didn’t take good care of him.” He sighs and you see the guilt projecting in his expression. “It is my job. My job to…. take care of people,” he finishes with a slight stutter, burying his face into his hands.

You can’t help but feel sorry; sorry for making Kai more disappointed in him than he already was. It isn’t his fault. Chanyeol is really sick and Kai is not to blame for Chanyeol’s situation. In matter of fact, Kai has been doing his job right for the past few months; making sure Chanyeol attends every check up, gets his injections and stayed with Chanyeol after every treatment. You know, because Chanyeol told you.

“Chanyeol is going to be fine, right?” you say, in attempt to make him feel better. He raises his level of vision to you and you give him a smile. “Right?” you repeat, reaching for his hand.

You don’t know why you did that but you guess, holding his warm hand somehow makes everything a little better; knowing that both of you are not alone, knowing that both of you are hoping for the best for Chanyeol.

He looks down at his hand and smiles back to you with a nod. “He’ll wake up soon,” he says, shifting his gaze to Chanyeol who is breathing weakly with the help of the storage tank. “3 days. It’s been 3 days. He’ll get bored of sleeping soon.”

Coma. How can he be in a coma? He was fine the last time you saw him. He was smiling. He was nagging more than your parents did when your exams are close. And now, again, you’re not used to Chanyeol lying still in this state. From the first day you met him, Chanyeol is labeled as a hyper and crazy person, it’s fixed in your head.

So wake up. Wake up and start smiling again.

Tears start welling up in your eye sockets again and you forcefully wipe them off, looking down. Your hands start to tremble slightly and this reminds you of the time when you first met Chanyeol, where you were also as shaky as this before he showed up. Is it weird that your body is reacting the same way for Chanyeol’s case like how you reacted for your parents’?

“Uhm,” he pauses, opening his arms and awkwardly steps closer. Your head remain low, watching him weirdly as he slowly surround his stiff long arms around you. Then, he finally hugs you and gives your head a few pats. “There, there.” His actions cause you to let out a small laugh but you quickly bite back your laughter. He freezes for a moment, and then clears his throat. “Well,” he begins, releasing you. “That was awkward.”

“It’s cute though,” you admit and he laughs. Just then, he stops with widened eyes which you giggle at. You almost think this hospital is full with weird people. First, there are Chanyeol and Melody, and now, Kai as well. “Yah,” you wave your hand in front of his face but he stays motionless, without even blinking. You realized he isn’t staring at your direction but behind you. “Are you—“

“Stay here!” he says suddenly, grabbing onto your arms tightly which cause you to wince a little in pain. “You can’t go in! Stay here!”

“What?” Just like that, he runs down the hallway and you quickly turn your head back to the room. And like how Kai reacted, your eyes widen at the sight.

Chanyeol. Chanyeol is staring at you and you can see the smile forming behind the oxygen mask.

 

 

 

“Thank you, Dr. Soo.” Kai says with a bow and you bow slightly after him.

Dr. Soo smiles and makes her way out of the room along with a nurse as Kai follows behind. Before Kai closes the door, you ask, “Where are you going?”

Kai sticks his head in. “I’m still on duty.” You nod, muttering a soft ‘oh’. “Uhm, but I guess I can drop by again later,” he says and you nod even more with a smile. “Bye.” He waves and closes the door behind, leaving you waving stupidly by yourself.

Chanyeol lets out a soft chuckle and you snap your head back to him immediately. With a glare, you say, “Don’t think that I won’t dare to hit you because you’re in this condition!” After a few seconds of silent, you add on with a light slap on his arm. “See! I dare to!” you state and he laughs, though his laughter are a little muffled behind the oxygen mask. “What’s so funny?” you ask frustratingly.

He slowly pulls down the oxygen mask, revealing that precious smile of his. The smile that you miss. “Nothing,” he answers with a weak tone, almost sounding like a whisper. “I just think Kai and you are adorable together.”

You eye him weirdly. His level of craziness has increased, maybe even adding a little of delusional to his case. The oxygen mask. You blame the oxygen mask for forcing too much gas into his brain. “Oh, I only agree to the part where Kai is adorable,” you pause and he blinks. “Without the ‘me’ in it.”

“So you think he’s adorable,” he double checks and you nod.

“He is,” you say, as though it’s something normal. Wait, no, it is something normal. What’s so weird and wrong about you calling Kai adorable? He is. But Chanyeol doesn’t take it like it’s normal for you to say that about Kai.

“Then maybe you should ask him out,” he giggles.

You hit him on his arm again, a little harder this time but not to the point where it really hurts. “Yah! You’re unbelievable! You don’t joke around when people are actually worried sick about you!” you tell him with an annoyed tone, trying to change topic at the same time. “And when we saw you staring at us just now? When you’re supposed to be in a coma? Chanyeol, not funny,” you say, shaking your head in disapproval of his previous action.

He laughs. “I heard you giggling,” he says, slowly reaching out for your hand and you grab his hand when you realize that. He then weakly pulls your hand and presses it at where his heart is. You feel it beating. It is weak, but it’s beating. “My heart told me you’re here to visit me so I woke up.”

You don’t know how to react. A moment ago, he was teasing you about Kai and now he’s being all sweet-like. Is it even possible for him to like you? No, the real question is, is it even possible for you to fall for someone this quick? Your heart is accepting Chanyeol too

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter