You're Not Worth It.

Maybe In The Next Life.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You’re awake but all you see is darkness. You wince as your hand slowly makes its way up to your head. Clutching on the side, you force your eyelids open. It doesn’t seem that dark anymore but you can tell that it’s night time since the only light source is the light rays shining in from the hallway. You can’t move your body, you don’t know why. Maybe you hurt yourself somehow or maybe you’re just really tired. You don’t remember. All you remember is Chanyeol falling onto the ground, unconscious after that. Your body is sore. Really sore. Not to mention the headache that you’re having right now.

You stare up at the ceiling and you notice that you are in fact on a hospital bed. You turn your head slowly to your right and see someone sleeping by the side of your bed, facing down. He has his arms folded on the edge of the bed, his forehead pressed against the upper arm and his breathing is almost audible. The room is exceptionally quiet. It reminds you of the ICU room that Chanyeol was in. You squint your eyes, trying harder to recognize who that guy is but you just can’t seem to make out who that is. The lights aren’t and the dim light of the hallway that is shining through the window of the room you’re in isn’t helping much.

You groggily sit yourself up. Weakly, you reach your hand out to him and gently touch the back of his head. He squirms and you withdraw your hand immediately, stunned.

“Why are you here?” you ask coldly as the figure pushes himself up drowsily. He rubs his sleepy eyes and blinks at you several times.

“Hey, you’re awake,” he says, almost calmly. You figure you haven’t been sleeping for too long or not he would be more surprised than this. “How are you feeling?” He reaches his hand forward, wanting to touch your forehead but you slap it away.

“Why are you here?” you repeat, the coldness in you grows stronger. The last scene of Chanyeol getting punched onto the floor replays itself in your head. You know. You know Baekhyun was the one who punched Chanyeol. “You followed me here, didn’t you?”

He frowns, reaching out again but to grab your hand this time. “Eli, I—“

You pull your hand away before he gets to grab hold of it. Looking away from him, you mutter, “You’re not supposed to be here.”

He gulps, in disbelief, and look away as well, shaking his head slightly. “I’m not dealing with this side of you again.”

This side of you. What side? The side of you that has always finds him annoying until Chanyeol comes into your life and changes your perspective on everything and everyone? Or the side of you that has always been stone cold?

You scoff, one end of your lips curve into a small grin. Crossing your arms, you then say, “You can leave. No one’s stopping you.”

“No, I won’t leave.” You shoot him a deadly glare and he turns his head back to you; locking eyes with you. But unlike the warning stare you’re giving him, there is determination in his eyes. His gaze is strong. So strong that you somehow feel intimidated. For once, your heartbeat is actually fluctuating due to this new feeling he’s introducing to you. Is it fear? Are you actually afraid of him? “Felicity Kwon might enjoy leaving any scene at any given time but I, Byun Baekhyun, stays,” he states, breaking the silence. “Staying can be fun and it can be worth it.”

You roll your eyes and shift your gaze to the other side. “It’s not worth it when the end is not something you want or hope for.”

“It’ll be something that I want or hope for.”

You snort, letting out a short laugh of mockery. “So can read the future now?”

“Don’t you know I always get what I want?” he says and you look back to him, unimpressed.

“I am something that you will never get,” you say quietly, leaning closer at every second and stop when your face is just inches away from his. You search his eyes and notice how calm he is. “Do you understand, Byun Baekhyun?”

He smirks. None of you move back from each other. “Oh? I’ll worry about that later.” Your eyebrows pinch themselves together and you eye him confusedly. “Because I want your heart first.”

Your heart. My heart. You blink, snapping out of your sudden thought of Chanyeol, and sit back, leaning against the cold wall. You look forward, where Baekhyun is not in sight. “You will never get my heart either.”

He shrugs, looking down to his feet. “It doesn’t hurt to try.”

“I don’t want you hurt,” you say almost instantly and Baekhyun snaps his head up to you. You freeze. Did you actually just say that? Did the impossible just slip right out of your lips? You bite your lower lip and awkwardly give him a quick glance before looking to the front again. You clear your throat. “One person being hurt is enough.” You can’t believe that was you best comeback. “Did you have fun punching someone for the first time?” you ask, only because you know Baekhyun never involves himself in any physical fights even though he’s the so called ‘leader’. “Chanyeol sure had the time of his life falling onto the ground.”

“Will you even listen and accept my explanation?” You shake your head. He sighs. “I’m still going to explain, though. I thought he was attacking you from the back so I guess I overreacted slightly.”

Your head turns to him and tilts to a side. With a raised eyebrow, you sarcastically say, “Slightly?”

He holds both hands up in defense, projecting the most innocent face you’ve seen on him. “I really thought he was taking advantage of you from the back.” You roll your eyes and shake your head in disbelief, thinking how stupid Baekhyun can really be. “Can you really blame me? You looked very shocked when he had his arms thrown over your shoulder.”

“He’s sick. He’s really weak. Of course I’ll be shocked when something like that happened. Won’t you react the same if I were to fall on your back suddenly?”

He drops his head, sighing. “I guess.” That’s right, he would. Baekhyun suddenly looks back up. “But would your reaction be as big if I was the one instead?” he asks curiously.

You can’t seem to answer him. The answer should be easily said. The answer should be a ‘no’. You’re not supposed to care or worry about Baekhyun. “No,” you simply lie. You know that isn’t what he wants to hear.

He nods his head slightly, slowly looking away before staring down at his shoes. Although he isn’t facing you nor are you guys making eye contact but you know there is disappointment in his eyes. “Ai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter