Let Me Be Part Of It.

Maybe In The Next Life.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Visiting Chanyeol again?” You look up and see Kai placing a clean set of clothes on Chanyeol’s bed. You nod with a small smile; the smile, you figure, is out of politeness. That, and the fact that Kai is talking to you. There is just something about him that you find interesting. “I never really got to ask but who are you? To Chanyeol, I mean.”

“A friend,” you answer flatly. “I guess.”

“Ah,” he nods, awkwardly scanning the room. “It’s lunch time and Chanyeol won’t be back after 2,” he informs you but you just nod in acknowledgement and do nothing else. “Uhm, want to join me for lunch, maybe?”

You slowly look away with widen eyes before turning back to face him with your normal cool expression. You think through whether you should accept his invitation. It’s Kai we’re talking about here. “Oh, sure.”

Kai leads you to the cafeteria and you notice his popularity in this hospital is on par with Chanyeol’s. The only difference, you guess, is that Kai’s fans are all females of the same age, both patients and nurses, while Chanyeol’s fans are either too young or too old.

You would probably fall for Kai… if you are allowed to and if you are a normal girl.

Along the way, Kai is the only one talking, not like you mind, and he couldn’t stop telling you about Chanyeol. He speaks of Chanyeol as if Chanyeol is his hero or idol, which he later adds on saying he admires Chanyeol and wants to be able to do what Chanyeol can do to affect people’s lives. You don’t blame his enthusiasm really, because you almost feel the same way. Chanyeol’s ability to make people feel life is worth living is great.

“So why be a nurse?” you ask, holding onto your glass of cold water.

He looks up from his plate and scrunches his mouth to one side, thinking deeply before answering you. “I guess I just want to take care of people.”

You almost laugh at his answer. “You could just opt to be a nanny.” He shakes his head with a grin and you realise that you just said something funny yourself. Something you have never done for a long time. Or never done before.

“Well, yeah,” he nods slightly, taking a bite from his spoon. “I could do that but I have a higher chance to marry a doctor if I’m a nurse, no?” he says jokingly but you don’t seem to catch it. “I was just kidding.”

“Right,” you say, awkwardly looking down at your glass.

“You seem like you have lots of free time,” he picks up the conversation again and glances down at your school uniform. “A student, I see.”

“Last year of high school.” He nods and gulps down half of his drink, focusing back on you after that. “I… don’t know why I’m here every day. I mean, I don’t exactly have a good reason to be here but I guess being here is better than staying home alone.”

“Where are your parents?” he asks and you avoid his gaze. He waves his hands and leans forward, saying, “I’m sorry. Did I say something wrong?”

You shake your head, head hanging low. “No, it’s okay.” Then, you look back at him, with a smile of assurance. “I’m fine. It’s been a month since my parents passed away.”

He smiles and that smile alone comforts you. “It’s been a year for me,” he says, patting your hand.

Having lunch with Kai didn’t turn out that bad after all. It was good, actually, knowing that you have found someone that can almost relate to you. Parents’ death isn’t something everyone can handle properly and with an open mind. You were in the grudging stage two weeks back, you went through what others of the same situation would go through, but it ended fast for you. You come to learn that there’s nothing you can do to have them back but to live your life to the fullest for them. That’s what Chanyeol has been doing, that’s what Kai is doing, and so should you.

You’ve been giving Chanyeol’s words of advice a few thoughts. You need to learn to let people into your heart again, you recall him saying. You could try, and if you do, you figure two spots are already reserved for Chanyeol and Melody. Not to mention, another spot for Kai. You don’t have romantic feelings for the two guys, that’s for sure. You barely know them that well but you can tell they’ll stay long in your heart for whatever reason. God surely has arranged important roles for them to play in your life.

You know you’re supposed to drop the thought of believing in your curse, you promised Chanyeol. But it doesn’t hurt to play safe. Since you don’t love the both of them, you suppose the curse won’t take a toll on them, right?

 

 

 

“Chanyeol?” you peep in and step into his room. You close the door behind you immediately and hurry to his bed. “C-Chanyeol?” you call again, looking down at the peaceful figure before you. You reach your hand out to his pale face but pull back. You hesitate before gently touching his cheek and your hand snaps back at the piercing coldness of his skin. “Chanyeol, you’re worrying me,” you whisper, fully cupping his face with both hands now.

He cracks one eye open and smiles at the sight of you. “Y-you’re h-here,” he stutters weakly. “I t-t-thought you’re not going to visit me today,” he says while he tries to push himself up into a sitting position but to no avail.

“Stay down,” you order, gently pushing him back. Your voice almost cracked. What have you done? You can’t believe you actually convinced yourself to let Chanyeol into your heart. “A-are you going? Don’t leave me,” you mutter, almost sincerely. You’re actually begging someone whom you just met for barely two months to not leave you. This is starting to sound ridiculous to you.

But he’s Chanyeol. Who would want Chanyeol to leave?

He lets out a weak chuckle. “I’m not going anywhere, silly.” You stare at him, hurt. He’s doing it again. He’s lying to make you feel better. “I’m really not going anywhere. I just had chemotherapy. I’m suppose

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter