Dazzling Like A Flower.

Maybe In The Next Life.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

You smile to yourself as you continue to stare at the picture in your hand. You can’t take your eyes off Chanyeol’s face, though you notice how pale it is. But still, how can you not admit that it is the most beautiful face you’ve seen in a picture? Your mum will look beautiful in pictures… if you have pictures of her.

Sighing at that though, you wonder why your parents never bothered getting a camera. They can afford a camera, right? At least if so, you will have some evidence of memories with you.

“Let’s have lunch outside!” Baekhyun beams, appearing out of nowhere and slides across the bench before pressing himself against your right arm. You click your tongue and nudge him to move away, just slightly. His eyes make their way to the picture you’re holding and he frowns. “I can’t believe you’re still not over with staring at that same old picture.”

It has only been a week.

“I can’t believe you’re still staying over at my place,” you scoff. Shifting your gaze to Baekhyun, who is still staring at the picture, you ask, “Didn’t your mum found a place to stay? Does she ever plan to retrieve you?”

“Yah,” Baekhyun hits the surface of the table playfully and snaps his head to you. “Don’t you have any other better word than ‘retrieve’? Besides, my mum approved of me staying over at your place because I’ve actually gained weight.”

You raise an eyebrow. “And that’s a good thing because…?”

“Ah, you don’t get it, you’re not a mother yet,” he laughs but stops when you blink at him, not amused. He sighs. “My mum has been trying to get me to gain more weight. She says she missed the chubby little Baekhyunnie.” You can’t help but snicker and he shoots you an offended look. “What’s so funny? I was very adorable, mind you. Everybody wanted to pinch my cheeks!”

You shake your head with a grin and look away. “Whatever you say, Baekhyunnie.” You laugh.

Immediately, you hear whispers echoing across the room and you proceed to scan the cafeteria, only to realize that the both of you have gathered more attention than usual. Glancing over to Baekhyun, you are impressed at how he’s not affected by what’s happening at all. Is he pretending not to realize what’s happening or does he not know at all?

Just as you’re staring at him weirdly, Baekhyun snatches the picture out of your hand which wakes you up from the deep thought of him. “You know, I actually like this picture.”

You eye him weirdly before looking back down at the picture. One end of your lips curls upward and you nod. “I really like it.” Because Chanyeol is in it.

And as though he read your mind, he states, “Because of Chanyeol?” You remain quiet as he continues on with a nod, “Thought so. Want to know why I like it?”

“Because I’m in it?” you remark sarcastically.

He chuckles and shakes his head. Tapping onto your face in the picture, he then says, “Because you’re smiling.”

You focus on your expression in the picture and this is the first time you’re actually paying attention to yourself in it. Oh, you are smiling. You look really happy. “What’s so amazing about that?”

He sighs, but smile slightly at the picture. “I envy Chanyeol. I envy how he’s able to make you smile like that.”

“Yah,” you snatch the picture out of his hands and turn away from him. “You’re starting to sound stupid again.”

“Hey, I just really like—“

The vibrating of your phone on the table cuts Baekhyun off and somehow, you feel glad. Grabbing your phone, you then slide your thumb across the screen before pressing it against your right ear, totally ignoring the fact that it’s a call from an unknown number. It’s not surprising, seeing how the only numbers you saved in your phone are your parents’, Kai’s and Baekhyun’s.

“Hello?” you initiate, looking over to Baekhyun slightly who pokes his head into your view. A deep voice rings in your ear and you choke with widen eyes. Chanyeol. Chanyeol is on the phone with you.

“Eli, who’s th—“ you press a hand over Baekhyun’s mouth. There must not be any interruption. Not now.

“Chanyeol, what are you saying?” you stutter, tightening your grip onto your phone. You don’t even notice how your cheeks are flushing red or how your knuckles are turning white. Baekhyun can only stare at you worryingly. “Are you listening to yourself?!” you shout into the phone as tears start falling down your cheeks. “Stay there. NO! Stay there, I’m coming!”

Without another word, you your bag and throw your phone in before zipping your bag shut again. Quickly enough, you sling your bag over your shoulder, jump out of your seat and start running. Baekhyun’s voice can be heard, shouting your name several times but as soon as you make an abrupt left turn down the hallway, his urgent voice is no longer audible.

You run, not caring the attention that you’re getting or the fact that your eyes are burning in tears and your vision is starting to blur. You need to get to the hospital. You need to.

“Hi, Eli. Listen, I’m going to ask for the favor you owe me now. I have no much time left and I figure that I should at least claim what you owe me before I leave.” He chuckled, soft and weak. “I’m going, Eli. I’m ready to go. Eli-ah, you do know that I love you, right?”

You violently wipe your tears away with the back of your hand, but tears just won’t stop forming and trailing down your cheeks. What an idiot, you burn in anger, does he really expect you to just let him die like that?

You don’t know how long you’ve been running and you couldn’t care less on how your heels are hurting. No pain can be compared to the pain your heart is experiencing. You curse Chanyeol’s name inwardly, thinking how many times he must be the cause of your heartache. It doesn’t make sense. 5 months ago, Chanyeol is just another passerby of your life. A passerby that you never thought will make a significant existence in your life. Why are you crying because of him now? Why are you running just to meet him now? Why can’t he just stay another passerby that means nothing to you?

But you fell for him.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter