The Brightest Smile.

Maybe In The Next Life.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You stare at the door to Chanyeol’s room blankly and ponder whether you should go in. You used to walk in carefreely but now, you can’t. Not after what came to you by surprise that day. It shouldn’t be a big surprise to you since you already knew Chanyeol has brain cancer and will probably get as much treatment as he needs but you didn’t exactly know what these treatments could do to Chanyeol. You weren’t ready to see Chanyeol in such state. You have no idea Chanyeol can look that weak in the first place.

Maybe you’re just ignorant. Maybe you've never have that experience or knowledge. The deaths you’ve encountered happened quickly and their pains ended fast. Chanyeol’s suffering is new to you; it’s a slow agonizing process. Almost like yours but yours isn’t fatal. He makes it seems painless but you know he’s just holding back. He’s hiding the pain from you.

Taking in a deep breath, you then put on a smile. You want to let Chanyeol know that you’re okay. You know that Chanyeol wants to see that you’re fine. Pushing the door in, you enter his room, just to find that it’s empty.

“Oh, Felicity! You’re here!” A familiar voice calls from behind and you look back. Melody brushes pass you with a small box and places it on Chanyeol’s bed. She then turns back to you and waves her hand, motioning you to go to her.

You close the door and step closer to Melody. Glancing down at the box, you then realize it is a box of chocolate. “Who is that from?”

“The new owner who took over his business,” she answers, looking at the box and back to you. “He sends Chanyeol chocolates most of the time. But you know, that boy always give them away to the other patients,” she laughs and you smile. You know that is something Chanyeol will do. “I’ve never seen you for so long. How are you?” she asks, pulling you closer to the bed and sits down. “Come, tell grandma everything.”

Grandma, you smile and your eyes curve into two crescents at the mention of that word. Melody is such a sweet old lady that your heart can’t help but melt at her voice. The things Chanyeol and Melody can do to your closed heart.

You notice that you’re slowly opening your heart again, though it is what you wanted to prevent. But Chanyeol insisted. He wants you to try. And if repaying his feelings, whatever they are, is something you can do for him for these 4 months, then you don’t see why you shouldn’t.

But you always remind yourself that you can never love Chanyeol.

Sitting down next to her, you then start off by telling her about your school life and you watch every expression of hers. The way her eyebrows meet with disappointment when you tell her you sleep through class all the time. The way the wrinkles around her eyes doubles as she smiles proudly when you tell her you still manage to get top marks for tests and quizzes. The way the curve of her thin lips drop when you tell her how annoying Baekhyun is.

“You cannot go out with the lad!” she protests and you are taken aback by her reaction at the mention of Baekhyun’s name again. “You are Chanyeollie’s!”

You let out a small laugh at her cuteness. “Grandma,” you call her almost naturally, as if you’ve been calling her that for years. “I’m not Chanyeol’s.”

Melody pouts childishly, acting not like her age, and turns her body away from you. She crosses her arms, telling you, “I don’t care. You can’t go out with that kid. You belong to Chanyeol.”

“Who belongs to me?” Someone cuts in and the both of you turn to where the voice came from. “Honey!” Chanyeol beams at the sight of Melody and he spreads his arms wide, motioning her for a hug. She jumps onto her feet and into Chanyeol’s arms. For a 60 year old, she doesn’t acts like one. “I miss you!” He pulls her away from the hug and pouts at her. “Where have you been?”

“Look at you,” she says pitifully while pinching his cheeks. “You’re getting thinner. Aish, I need to ask them to transfer me back to this building. They can get other people to take care of the old building. I need to take care of you.”

He shakes his head immediately. “They transferred you there for a reason. They need you there.” Chanyeol smiles and points to you, saying, “I’m in good hands.”

“Ah,” Melody nods agreeingly and your cheeks flush in shades of pink, remembering how Melody said you’re Chanyeol’s. “Then, I shouldn’t be worried from now on.”

Chanyeol nods with pursed lips and gently pats his left chest. “She’s in here and she’s never leaving.”

Melody giggles and you blush even more. She reaches her hand out, motioning you to hold her hand and you did, getting off the bed. You are pulled closer to the both of them and now, you stand just before Chanyeol with Melody just by your side. Pressing her hand at your chest where your heart is located, she smiles to you, feeling your heartbeat. “He’s in here already so make him stay.”

The corner of your lips unconsciously curls upwards and your gaze shifts to Chanyeol. Staring deep into his eyes, you press your hand over Melody’s which is still on your chest and nod. “I will.”

That day, you received the brightest smile from Chanyeol.

 

 

 

“Ready?”

You stare at the guy who is standing at your door, him being the first person other than you or your parents to step onto your doorstep. His outfit is almost too casual, a pair of jeans with a plain white button down, something no one would imagine him in because of his rebel image. Just like everyone, you expected him to show up in tight leather jeans or i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter