The Past

I Couldn't Care Less

Luhan glanced at Sehun, unsure of whether or not the younger boy had heard the man since he didn't respond. He gave Sehun's hand a gentle squeeze, hoping to comfort him, even just a little.

 

Then why does Sehun's mom have your photo?” Luhan asked when Sehun remained silent.

 

Luhan's stepfather answered, with eyes trained on Sehun, awaiting his reaction, “Because we were childhood friends.”

 

Sehun, who had his eyes fixed on the table, finally looks up to find Luhan's stepfather still staring at him.

 

Y-you k-knew her since you two were young?”

 

The man nodded. “We were best friends actually.”

 

She has never mentioned you,” Sehun stated, bewildered as to why his mother would have a photo of this man, who claims to be her best friend, when she has never talked about him.

 

The man frowned. “I'd be surprised if she did.”

 

Why?”

 

Sehun could tell the man was not comfortable talking about the past, but he needed to know.

 

The man sighed. “Because I left without telling her. She probably hated me for doing that. We lost contact since.”

 

Why did you leave?”

 

Sehun's question seems to have struck a chord with the man because he shuffled in his seat, hands clasped tight around his coffee cup.

 

Why did you leave?” Sehun repeated.

 

Not looking at Sehun, the man replied, “Because she chose him...”

 

Him?”

 

Your father.”

 

Sehun's heart beats faster. “M-my father?”

 

Yes -” He looked at Sehun “- I knew your father. Your mother and I met him while we were in college. The three of us did everything together. We were inseparable.”

 

What happened?”

 

The man frowned again and diverted his attention elsewhere, choosing to look out the window instead. Sehun desperately wanted to know, his heart only beating faster as the seconds tick by. Luhan had fallen silent throughout the exchange, taking it all in, hand still firmly gripping Sehun's.

 

Your father and I.....fell in love with her.”

 

Sehun's eyes widen, and it seemed as though Luhan had stopped breathing for a second.

 

W-what?” Sehun sputtered.

 

The man turned to looked Sehun straight in the eye. “Your mother was my first love. I've loved her for the longest time, but I was too young and foolish to realize it – until your father came into the picture. Only when I felt this burning jealousy whenever she was laughing and smiling with your father did I realize that the feelings I harbored for her were more than just platonic. I wanted to tell her how I felt, but it was too late....She had already fallen for your father.”

 

Y-you loved her?”

 

Yes. Very much. That's why it was extremely difficult for me to stay friends with the two of them when they started dating. I-I couldn't take it. Even though he made her happy, I couldn't stop myself from resenting your father, and that's when our friendship fell apart.”

 

The man paused to stare at his cup, his expression completely crestfallen. The memory seemingly raw as he spoke. Sehun couldn't believe he was hearing this. Luhan's stepfather and his mother were best friends? He was in love with her but he never told her? Then his father came into the picture and that changed everything. His mother falling for his father instead, consequently ending their friendship?

 

Sehun couldn't help but pity the man sitting in front of him. He couldn't imagine losing someone you love to one of your closest friends. He shuddered at the thought of losing Luhan to anyone.

 

Sehun peeked over at his boyfriend, who seemed stunned at the recent revelation. The older boy kept his eyes on the man, not blinking, as if he was seeing him for the first time. A small frown making its way across his beautiful face. Sehun was sure that Luhan was seeing his stepfather in a different light. Perhaps he pitied him as well?

 

When they decided to get married at such a young age, we had just graduated, I was strongly against it – not because I was jealous, but because I felt like they weren't ready. I didn't want to see her get hurt. I got into an argument with your father when I confronted him and we ended up fighting until your mother came in and stopped us. Furious over the situation and the fact that she refuses to hear me out, I told her that I never wanted to see her again and left. She assumed I was going home to clear my head and that after a few days I would come around, but I never did. I packed my stuff and left. Leaving no clues as to where I went. I did my best to move on, starting my own business in Beijing. Looking back on it now, I admit that I was impulsive and leaving like that was cruel, especially towards someone you cared very much about. I also regret not having the decency to check to see if your mother was doing alright after I left. I'm sure you know that their marriage didn't last long... ”

 

Did you know about me?”

 

The man gave him a small nod. “A mutual friend told me that she gave birth to a baby boy.”

 

Did you know that my father abandoned my mother and me before I could even walk?”

 

Luhan's stepfather stiffen. “I didn't find out about that till after s-she passed away...When I found out, I was so devastated, I went to drown my sorrows in alcohol and that was the same night that--” The man shifted his gaze towards Luhan.

 

Luhan started blinking rapidly at him. “The same night that?”

 

The same night that you witnessed me hurting your mother. The night that I pushed you against the wall.” The man closed his eyes, guilt and shame evident on his face. Luhan, however, had his eyes wide open in utter shock.

 

The man opened his eyes. He gave Luhan a remorseful look before continuing, “I know I shouldn't have taken it out on your mother and you. And I'm sorry. I'm really sorry.”

 

D-does Mom know about this?” Luhan stuttered. Sehun could feel his boyfriend's palm sweating. This wasn't what they expected to hear when they agreed to meet with the man. Not at all.

 

Yes. When you two left Beijing, I realized that I was wrong and that I needed your mother in my life. Contrary to what you might think, I care for and love your mother a lot. When I finally found your mother again, I was determined to fix my mistakes and tell her everything. I told her about my past, about Se Hyuna.”

 

The man gave Luhan a small smile. “One of my favorite characteristic about your mother is that she's forgiving – even after the horrible things I put her through, she chooses to remain by my side. And I couldn't ask for more.”

 

What I don't get is how you could pretend it never happened the next day. Didn't you notice Mom's bruises? Or were you too hung over to realize?” Luhan's words cutting the poor man that sat across from him.

 

I-I was in denial. It was hard for me to admit that I was hurting your mother and you. I made a vow to cherish and protect your mother, but I did neither, and that was difficult for me to swallow. After that night, I tried to quit and I was sober for a long time --”

 

But you relapsed when I was in high school. That night when Mom left to go buy me something.”

 

Which is why I completely understand your hostility towards me. I'm not going to make excuses. I shouldn't have hurt you. I'm deeply sorry.”

 

Why did you go drinking that day? It wasn't something job related was it?”

 

The man shook his head and took a deep breath. “It was the day that I heard about Sehun's father.”

 

My father?” Sehun asked.

 

Yes. I found out that he died from alcohol poisoning,” the man answered.

 

And Sehun feels as though everything went blank.....

 

Here he was, sitting in a cafe, originally thinking that he was going to confront his father who abandoned him, only to find out that the man wasn't his father. And now this man was telling him that he no longer has a father.

 

Honestly, Sehun doesn't know how he should feel about this. He never knew his dad, so he couldn't cry or get upset. It wasn't possible.

 

But he also couldn't ignore the sudden aching sensation that has found its way to his chest.

 

He was never going to meet the man that his mother fell in love with.

 

He was never going to get the answer to the question he desperately wanted to ask him.

 

Sehun-ah, are you okay?” Luhan whispered as he put his arms around Sehun, bringing the younger back to the current situation.

 

Sehun doesn't answer, instead he just looks at him, hoping that his boyfriend could tell him how he should respond to something like that.

 

Hoping that Luhan knew how he should feel upon finding out that his father was no longer in this world.

 

As if sensing Sehun's inner pain and confusion, Luhan bit his bottom lip, unsure of how to answer the younger boy. He settled for squeezing Sehun's shoulders and whispering, “I'm sorry, Sehun-ah.”

 

I'm sorry, Sehun-shi. I know this is a lot to take in, but I hope you know that your father was not a bad man.”

 

Luhan and Sehun turned to look at the man.

 

I found out from his closest friends that there wasn't a day that went by when he didn't think about you and your mother. He deeply regretted leaving, but after realizing his mistake, he couldn't bring himself to show his face again. He felt ashamed. When he found out your mother died from that fire, he simply quit his job and went on to live a reclusive life, often drinking.”

 

That was when Sehun decided that he couldn't sit here and listen to this anymore. He needed to lie down. All of this was just too much. Too much for one sitting. Too much for one day.

 

He tugged the hem of Luhan's shirt, silently communicating with his boyfriend that he wants to leave.

 

Luhan got the message and nodded. He turned to his stepfather. “I think this is enough for one day. Is it okay if we leave first?”

 

No, it's fine. You two can leave first. I understand.”

 

Luhan and Sehun got up (Luhan had his arms wrapped around Sehun's shoulders, to make sure the younger one doesn't collapse or something).

 

They were about to turn around and leave when Luhan's stepfather called out -

 

Sehun-shi, if you have any questions, you can just ask me. I'll gladly tell you everything I know.”

 

Sehun opened his mouth and closed it again – not sure whether or not he should ask the question that was lingering on his mind.

 

Feeling Luhan's familiar warm hands giving his own a loving squeeze, Sehun perked up the courage and asked, Do you have any photos of him?”

 

Luhan's stepfather gave him a genuine smile. “Yes, I do. I could send them to you if you like?”

 

I would like that. Thank you.”

 

When they got home, the first thing Luhan did was run a hand over Sehun's forehead. “You're not running a fever, but you don't look too good. Do you want me to make you soup? Should I go buy some medicine?”

 

Sehun takes his boyfriend's hand and leads him upstairs. “I'm not sick.”

 

But -”

 

I just need to lie down. That's all. Can we do that?”

 

Mhmm. We can.”

 

Unlike all the other times, Luhan was the one holding Sehun as they laid there in bed. It was a nice change. Sehun was always comforting Luhan, and now that he needs a bit of comforting, he was happy that Luhan could be that person for him.

 

With his head between Luhan's neck and shoulder, Sehun listened to Luhan's soft humming. He doesn't know why his boyfriend thinks humming a DBSK song would make him feel better, but he was grateful nonetheless.

 

I love you,” Luhan told him after he finishes humming (either the song ended or he got tired).

 

Tell me something I don't know.”

 

Hmmmm. I joined the Music club so I could see you more often.”

 

Sehun snorts. “I knew that.”

 

Whattt?”

 

I didn't know at the time why you were suddenly joining a club you clearly have no interest in, but after we started dating, I realized that you joined because you were obsessed with me.”

 

I was not obsessed.”

 

Sehun chuckled. “Whatever. You even went to the gym to try and catch glimpses of me working out.”

 

Not true.”

 

Righhttt. You're such a dork for doing all of that.”

 

Dork?!”

 

Yes.” Sehun pressed his lips on Luhan's. “Thanks.”

 

Luhan raised a brow. “For?”

 

For falling hopelessly in love with me.”

 

Sehun smirked as Luhan flushes and hides his face under a pillow, voice muffled as the older boy groaned about how egotistic Sehun could be.

 

Luhan fell asleep first (what else is new?), allowing Sehun to watch him sleep - taking in the way his lashes brush his face whenever his lids flutter.

 

Sehun thinks that he has the best boyfriend in the world because even after what happened at the cafe with Luhan's stepfather, Luhan could always make him smile. Whether it's by joking with him or simply watching him snore, Sehun finds himself feeling better.

 

Sehun leaned down and pressed a soft kiss on Luhan's forehead. “Thanks for being with me,” Sehun whispered.

 

Afterwards, Sehun goes to sleep, dreaming about the mysterious man he won't be able to meet anymore...

 

A single tear escaped his closed eyelids.

 

 

 

~~~~~~ WHOA! WHAT A CHAPTER! SO MUCH HAS BEEN REVEALED! So everything is connected!! Sehun and Luhan never expected their lives to be so intertwined.. The reason behind Luhan's stepfather drinking was because of the deaths of Sehun's parents. I like how everything is now out in the open. Everybody knows now. And it's really sad that Sehun won't be able to meet his dad.....but he has Luhan now! ♥ Hope you guys enjoyed it :) Thankss 

 

P.S. I think the next chapter will be the last chapter. Yes very sad! I'm going to miss the story just as much as you guys, but considering how I wrote 40 chapters, I think that it's a sufficient amount (besides I don't know what else to write. lol). It's appropriate to end the story because I don't want it to drag... Hope you guys had fun reading and coming along the ride.