The Wince (Luhan Ver.)

I Couldn't Care Less

 

When is he coming??

 

Luhan has been sitting in his Social Ethics class for 10 minutes now and his professor still haven't shown up. A professor late for his own Social Ethics class - talk about irony.

 

Hey Luhan!” Two of his female classmates called out as they sat down next to him.

 

Hi.”

 

Is it true? Are the rumors true?” One of them asked.

 

Is what true?” Luhan asked back, even though he knew the rumors they were referring to.

 

That you're dating Oh Sehun – that tall kid with the icy stare.”

 

The students at the university apparently had nothing better to do than start a rumor that he was going out with Sehun. Besides losing a few fangirls, the rumor hasn't really affected Luhan. People would whisper whenever he walk past, but the gossip didn't upset Luhan much – most likely because he wish it was true.

 

No. It's not true,” Luhan replied, shifting his attention elsewhere. He wasn't comfortable talking about Sehun to other people.

 

Then how do you explain your lunch dates?” The girls were now looking at him intently, in hopes that he'll crack and tell them what they wanted to know.

 

Friends can't have lunch together?” Luhan huffed.

 

Well yes, they can. BUT not when the other party is that Sehun guy. You two are really friends? For real?”

 

Yes,” Luhan said, trying his best not to sound agitated. When is that darn professor going to come?

 

How is that possible???” They squealed.

 

What is this? An interrogation?

 

I don't see why not,” Luhan retorted.

 

Because that Sehun kid is the complete opposite of you. He's rude and distant, while you're sweet.. and well..cute,” one of the girl replied matter-of-factly.

 

So?” Luhan said, voice still calm though his insides weren't.

 

So you shouldn't be close to him! He is bad news.”

 

Nobody even know how you two even became friends.”

 

Luhan scoffed, “It's none of anyone else's business.” He folded his arms across his chest, hoping to convey the message that he doesn't want to be a part of this conversation any longer.

 

The girls didn't get the hint. “Regardless, you should still keep your distance or you'll end up hurt.”

 

Thanks for your concern,” Luhan said through gritted teeth.

 

Of course. Still there's no denying that he treats you differently. Now that I think about – before you transferred here, he rarely ate lunch in the cafeteria.”

 

Luhan's eyes widen. “Really?”

 

Yes. So you can't blame people for talking when he is suddenly seen eating lunch with you almost every day.” The girls nodded.

 

AHEM! Sorry I'm late!! Can I get your attention please? ” The professor exclaimed loudly as he walked in, hair uncombed and shirt untucked (quite obvious he had overslept).

 

Half of the class groaned at his appearance, and another half cheered. Luhan did neither. He was too occupied with thoughts of his younger roommate. The very boy that doesn't cease to amaze Luhan everyday.

 

----

Where is he?....

 

Luhan's eyes scanned his surroundings. There he is!

 

Luhan made his way through the crowded cafeteria after spotting Sehun. Oh, he's with people...classmates maybe?

 

Luhan wasn't sure he should be interrupting (it looked like they were talking about something important), but decided that since he was already half way there, he should just go meet them. He has never met any of Sehun's friends. Luhan was even convinced that the younger boy had no friends outside of the house.

 

He was now right behind the three guys sitting in front of Sehun –

 

It's not my fault that Chinese transfer kid has the hots for me.”

 

Luhan abruptly stops. His eyes widen. His chest tighten. W-wh-w-what?.....Did he just say... Sehun k-knew??

 

He was in complete disbelief at the words that came from the other boy, but what he said next cut Luhan deep.

 

I only put up with him because he looks like a kicked puppy if I refuse. And I'm against animal cruelty.”

 

The other boys had started viciously laughing, but Luhan doesn't hear them. He only hears his throbbing heart.

 

Put up with? Kicked puppy?? How could he..

 

Luhan's vision slowly blurs. He was on the verge of tears, but he didn't want the the younger boy to see him cry. He turned around to leave, but a tear droplet had already slid down his cheek.

 

He rapidly made his way out of the cafeteria, throwing his tray of food away. He was in no mood to eat. Luhan ran to the restroom outside the cafeteria and locked himself in the nearest stall.

 

And cried.

 

Standing in front of the mirrors outside the stall, Luhan stared intensely at his pitiful reflection. His eyes were red and puffy and his cheeks were tear-stained. He looked worn out.

 

Luhan shook his head. I'm going to be fine! He the faucet and began washing his face. I'm okay. It'll be fine.

 

Zzzzzzzzz. Zzzzzzzz. A text message -

 

Hyung, meet me in the bathroom outside the cafeteria. It's important!

 

It was from Sehun.

 

Sehun.

 

Luhan sighed. He wasn't ready to see the younger boy, but he knew that it had to be done. Sooner or later, he'll have to face the boy. It was inevitable.

 

Luhan looked up at his reflection again and hoped that it isn't too obvious he had cried.

 

The door opened, and he hears hesitant footsteps – Sehun's.

 

Luhan hyung,” the other boy softly called out. Luhan, with his remaining ounce of energy, turned to look at the younger boy.

 

Luhan peers through the eyes that met his...searching for an answer.

 

What happened to your eyes? Are you okay?” Sehun asked with a worried expression.

 

No. Sehun-ah, I'm not okay... I'm not okay at all....I'm hurting.

 

Even so, Luhan willed himself to ask the question he so desperately wanted to know the answer to.

 

Since when have you known?” His voice came out shaky. Luhan mentally cursed himself for sounding so weak, but there was nothing he could do to fight his bodily reactions. His hands were shaking, but he gives it no attention.

 

Known what?” Sehun asked, puzzled.

 

About me likin --”

 

BANG. The door bust open and three guys walked in. Who are they?

 

One of the guys looked at Sehun and asked him, “Is that princess giving you a hard time Sehun?”

 

Princess? Luhan looked quickly at Sehun then back at the three intruders. They must be his friends.

 

The guys started walking towards Luhan. There was something menacing about the way they were looking at him. It sent shivers down his spine. Fear was creeping inside of him.

 

Luhan's terrified eyes darted towards Sehun, but the boy focused on the others.

 

It's fine. I can handle it.” Sehun answered. Handle what? Sehun, why are these guys here?!?

 

Before he could speak up, he felt a pair of rugged hands push him harshly in the chest, sending him backwards. He painfully hits the wall.

 

Oww,” he whimperd. Unwittingly, his eyes were starting to get watery. He forced himself not to cry in front of these jerks.

 

S-Sehun...h-help...Sehun

 

Luhan's eyes pleaded towards the younger one, but Sehun just stood there. S-Sehun?

 

The guy that pushed him stepped closer, so close he was practically breathing down on Luhan. He was looking at Luhan; no it was more like he was “inspecting” him.

 

I admit you're a pretty firecracker, but you need to stop clinging on to Sehun. We don't need you 'gay-ing' up the school. Learn your place!” the jerk growled. Luhan froze.

 

Learn your place! Learn your place!

 

Those three words repeat themselves in Luhan's mind. It was not the first time he had heard those words. It was not the first time he had someone snarled those words at him while he was pushed against a wall.

 

His current situation was increasingly terrifying him. It was too painfully similar.

 

Panic gripped Luhan and his body started to shake in response.

 

No..noooo this can't be happening..

 

Luhan wanted someone to help him, but unlike the last time, the person he needed didn't step in and save him.

 

Still glued to his spot, Sehun made no effort to help Luhan. 

 

Sehun why?..You're letting them hurt me...?

 

I suggest you let him go,” a familiar voice proclaimed. Luhan looked towards the owner of the voice and saw Kris and Tao.

 

The guys all backed away from Luhan. The one that had pushed him claimed that he was just giving “this Chinese fairy a lesson, then the guys got in a little scuffle with Kris and Tao and ran out.

 

Luhan doesn't really see any of this – his mind is elsewhere.

 

The tears he had been holding back finally escaped.

 

Tao asked, “Luhan hyung, are you okay?” Luhan couldn't answer, a lump had lodged itself in his throat.

 

Then from the side where Sehun had been, a blurry hand reached out. It inched closer to Luhan....

 

He winced instinctively and backed away.

 

Do you want us to take you to the infirmary?” Kris asked.

 

Luhan shook his head and ran out of the bathroom.

 

He couldn't see anything; tears were still blurring his vision, but he knows he doesn't want to stay there – in that small suffocating room.

 

He couldn't hear anything except his heart - currently pounding so frantically against his chest, he just wanted to drown it out.

 

Luhan ran down the long hallway and pushed open the door that led to the emergency stairs. He ran down a few flight of stairs until his legs could no longer carry him.

 

Exhausted, Luhan sat down on a step in the quiet, empty staircase. He buried his head between his hands.

 

Luhan agonizingly exhaled.....

 

The excruciating memory resurfaces.

 

 

~~~~~~ So how was it??? Poor Lulu, just wanted Sehun to be his knight.

I'm sure you are all "Whattt!?!?!? What memory??!" Lol. Next chapter will be up in less than 24 hours :) 

Subscribe and comment. Thanks!!

(P.S. In case it needs clarifying, Sehun does NOT know that Luhan likes him, he just rashly said that - & other mean things- to keep Lulu away from the table...misunderstandings were bound to happen)