The Wait

I Couldn't Care Less

You don't have to call me every day,” Luhan told the taller boy, but of course he doesn't mean it. Far from it. What he really wants is for his boyfriend to call him every second of the day just so he could hear his warm voice – just so he could feel like they're not that far apart.

 

But he knows that it's impossible because Sehun's schedule during his trip to Jeju is jam-packed. In fact, it'll be a miracle if Sehun even finds the time to call him or text him. Still.... a part of Luhan hopes that Sehun does go out of his way to give him a call, to let him know that he was okay. It was a completely illogical, selfish wish, yet Luhan couldn't stop himself from wishing otherwise.

 

All of the other music department students have already boarded the plane, so now it was just the two of them, standing rather awkwardly in front of the departure gate.

 

Luhan was shifting uneasily on his feet while Sehun, standing two feet away, was gripping his backpack unnecessarily hard. An unspoken truth filled the air. Neither of them was willing to say goodbye.

 

I'm going to,” Sehun replied firmly, staring into Luhan's eyes.

 

Luhan wished the younger one hadn't – it only made it more difficult for him to let Sehun go.

 

Giving Sehun a meek smile, Luhan gestured for him to go through the sliding doors, where a stewardess was impatiently waiting for him. “You're going to miss your flight if you don't go now.”

 

Sehun frowned. “Fine.” He turned to leave, but after three steps he looked back. “Don't worry too much. Eat all your meals. If you get sick, make sure to take medication -”

 

Sehun-ah, I should be telling you that.” Luhan crossed his arms.

 

Just take care of yourself.”

 

Luhan smiled. “You too, Sehun-ah. Now go.” Or I'll be force to snatch you back and never let you go.

 

Sehun took a deep breath, waved bye to Luhan, and walked through the doors – not looking back. It's better that way Luhan told himself as he stared at Sehun's receding back.

 

Ten minutes later, Luhan was still standing in front of the gate. Reality not yet settling in that Sehun was on a plane 30000 feet off the ground - somewhere Luhan can't easily get to.

 

With a lifeless sigh, Luhan finally left. In the taxi ride back, Luhan stared out the window, unintentionally looking up at the sky. Sehun-ah...I already miss you.

 

He shook his head. This isn't good. How was he supposed to survive 10 days, 240 hours, 14400 minutes, 864000 seconds (and counting) without Sehun if he was already missing the boy terribly?

 

They woke up that morning not really saying anything to each other. Luhan had decided the night before that the only way he'll get through the day is by not touching the boy so while Sehun was hugging his other hyungs goodbye, Luhan stood far away in a corner, quietly observing. On the ride to the airport, they were silent, not sitting too close to each other. Each of them were too preoccupied with thoughts of separation to initiate any small talk. The taxi driver kept looking over his shoulders, curious as to why his two passengers were not interacting much, but thankfully he didn't ask. They walked into the airport with a considerable distance between them. Luhan thought it was easier that way because he knows that if he was to so much as hold Sehun's hand, he would just cling on, refusing to let go.

 

Now as he sat alone in the back of a taxi, Luhan thought maybe he should have at least given Sehun a hug. Maybe he should have said more. Maybe he should have held on a little more. Maybe if he did those things, this void he was feeling wouldn't be so bad. Maybe...

 

When he got home, the other boys, knowing full well that all he needs is some time alone, didn't ask him how it went and for that he was thankful. Entering his room, the first thing Luhan noticed is Sehun's laptop on his desk. He forgot to pack his laptop...

 

After thrashing around his bed for a few minutes (getting some of his pent-up emotions out), Luhan took out his phone and checked for any new messages. There was none. He's still on the plane, how could he text you? Luhan plopped back down on the bed, feeling utterly dejected.

 

Since he didn't have work that day, Luhan knew that he was going to be left with nothing to do but wait for some sort of communication from Sehun. And it was pure torture. He was constantly pulling out his phone, turning it off and on thinking that the screen may have been frozen, charging it often to avoid running out of battery in case that important call or text comes. This is pathetic. He threw the phone on the bed, giving up on the idea that Sehun would call so soon.

 

After dinner, Luhan decides to go hang out with Baekyeol, hoping that they'll keep him company. They were watching Running Man (a variety show), when Luhan hears his ringtone going off in the next room. He shot up from his spot on Baekyeol's floor and ran to his room.

 

Hello?!?”

 

Hey.” That familiar voice responded from the other line. Luhan lets out a relieved sigh.

 

Hey.”

 

We just landed a few minutes ago and now I'm on the bus, heading for the hotel,” Sehun informed him. He could hear the other students talking in the background.

 

Oh okay. How was your flight?” Luhan lies down on the bed, taking comfort in the fact that he was now finally talking to Sehun.

 

Fine. What are you doing now? Did you eat dinner yet?” Sehun asked. Luhan could hear some shuffling going on in the background.

 

Luhan chuckled. He knew that Sehun was checking his watch when he asked whether Luhan had dinner already. “Mmm. I did.”

 

Make sure you eat a lot because I don't want to come home to a skinny boyfriend.” Sehun whispered the last part, probably to avoid letting other students on the bus hear his personal conversation.

 

Too bad because that's what you're going to get,” Luhan joked.

 

Yahh!”

 

Okay okay. I'll eat a lot. Honestly, who's the hyung in this relationship?” Luhan huffed.

 

There was a moment of silence before Sehun answered. “I-I'm just worried about you.”

 

Luhan sighed. “I know, but I'm doing fine.” Could be better though....

 

The chatter in the background was getting louder and Luhan knew what Sehun was going to say next.

 

I'm going to hang up because I can barely hear you.”

 

Okay Sehun-ah. Have a fun trip.” He could feel his chest tightening at the thought of their phone call ending.

 

Yeah. Bye....”

 

Bye...” They hang up at the same time.

 

Luhan, with his phone still in his hands, looks up at the ceiling. The wait had officially started.

 

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

 

A text message? It was from Sehun -

 

Stop staring at the ceiling and go do something productive. I'll be back before you know it. Promise :)

 

Luhan smiled. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

 

Another text from Sehun -

 

I love you.

 

I love you too, Sehun-ah.

 

Before he could reply, Sehun had sent him another text -

 

This the last text I'm going to send because I can't afford long distance texting :( So only text me if it's an emergency. Okay? And no, missing me too much is not an emergency :P

Love you.

 

Luhan laughed at how adorable and egotistic his boyfriend was. Since when did he use that many smiley icons in one message? And missing him is an emergency!

 

He sent Sehun a reply before getting off the bed and going to the bathroom. Hopefully the faster he gets to sleep, the faster the next day will come – the closer he'll be to seeing Sehun again.

 

Once on his big spacious bed, Luhan realized that it doesn't work that way. The clock on the nightstand was going ever so slow, leaving him tossing and turning the whole night.

 

DAY 1

For the first time in a long time, Luhan wakes up alone.

 

Instinctively flipping to his side, he frowns at the sight. The spot where Sehun usually occupies is now empty. Without knowing it, he started rubbing that side of the bed with his hands. It felt cold.

 

Surprisingly, Sehun had called him that morning as he got out the bathroom. Sehun did most of the talking. He told him his schedule for the day and how he's excited to go explore the island. Luhan simply listened -- content with just hearing his boyfriend's voice.

 

Before Sehun hung up, Luhan told him that he shouldn't call too often because it'll cost him, but the younger boy was determined to call him twice a day. Although a little part of him wanted to do a happy dance, Luhan had a feeling that when Sehun gets the phone bill, he would insist that Luhan pays.

 

No work today meant Luhan had to find another way to keep himself busy, so he helped Kyungsoo clean the house (the younger boy kept telling him that he was doing it wrong). After grocery shopping, Luhan felt a tugging feeling in his chest when he was forced to carry all the bags himself because Sehun wasn't there to help.

 

It was 11 at night when Sehun called again. And like the morning phone call, Sehun talked while Luhan listened – smiling the entire time.

 

After hanging up, Luhan naively thought that maybe this isn't so hard...

 

DAY 2

Like the first day, Sehun called him in the morning, although a lot earlier than Luhan would have liked. He was asleep when his phone went off. Sehun had apologized for calling him at such an hour, but Luhan told him that it was fine. As long as I get to hear your voice.

 

The rest of the day went well. He didn't think about Sehun too much.....Too much being the keyword.

 

The only time he really wanted his boyfriend to be there was when he came home from the park and saw Baekyeol napping on the couch. Seeing Baekhyun wrapped snugly in Chanyeol's arms made him a little envious. Just a little.

 

At night, Sehun called again, but this time instead of talking about how his day went, he asked Luhan what he's been doing. Luhan told him, leaving out the part that he was constantly checking the clock the entire day, secretly counting down to when he'll see his boyfriend again. Sehun didn't need to know that.

 

DAY 3

Sehun doesn't call.

 

Hyung, you should just call him if you're so worried,” Baekhyun suggested as Luhan paced back and forth in front of him.

 

I don't want to bother him. Unlike myself, he has a lot of stuff to do...”

 

Well, I'm sure he's just busy then. He'll call you when he has time.”

 

Yeah. I hope so.”

 

It was a lot harder to keep his mind off of Sehun today than it was two days ago. The boy's absence was becoming painfully noticeable, triggered by the sole fact that Luhan didn't hear his voice in the morning.

 

Past midnight and Sehun still hasn't called.

 

Despite knowing that he has to work tomorrow, Luhan stays up all night, hands clutching on to his phone. Often he would press #1 on his speed dial (Sehun's number), only to be discouraged when he rationalizes that Sehun was most likely asleep.

 

With a final groan, Luhan stuffed his phone under his pillow. Maybe he'll call tomorrow....

 

DAY 4

Luhan is restless.

 

He was at work, wiping down tables, but his mind was elsewhere. It has officially been over 24 hours since he has last spoken to Sehun.

 

Earth to Luhannn.” Joon waved his hands in front of Luhan's face.

 

O-oh Joon. What's up?” Luhan asked after snapping out of his daze.

 

Are you okay? You look tired.” Joon surveyed the dark circles that were evident on Luhan's face.

 

I didn't get much sleep last night....”

 

Ah. Well you do know that we work at a coffee shop right? Go behind the counter and make yourself something if you need to pick yourself up. For this job, you need to be awake and alert,” Joon reasoned.

 

Am I that out of it?”

 

Joon nodded. “You've been wiping the same spot for the last 20 minutes.”

 

Embarrassed, Luhan went behind the counter and made himself an espresso. Joon's right. I need to focus on work.

 

When he got home, Chanyeol came running towards him.

 

Hyung, why didn't you answer your phone?!!!? Sehun called.”

 

My phone?” Luhan rummaged his bag and pockets, searching for his cell phone. “I can't find it.” Where is it!??!?!

 

You must have left it at the cafe.”

 

Disappointed, Luhan nods. “You're right... What did Sehun say?”

 

Oh, he was just wondering where you were and why you weren't picking up your phone. He was having a mini panic attack.” Chanyeol chuckled at the memory of hearing the maknae's shrill cry from the other line.

 

Did you tell him that I was okay?”

 

Yeah, but he was still freaking out. Call him tomorrow when you find your phone.”

 

Okay. Thanks for telling me Chanyeol.”

 

Although sad that he missed Sehun's calls, Luhan felt better knowing that Sehun was still worried about him.

 

DAY 5

Rushing into the cafe in search of his phone, Luhan found it in the drawer where they put all the coupons. He checked it and sure enough there were multiple missed calls, all from Sehun.

 

Sehun-ah?”

 

YAHHH WHY DIDN'T YOU PICK UP ANY OF MY CALLS YESTERDAY???” Sehun shouted through the receiver. Luhan had to hold the phone away from his ear.

 

Sorry. I left my phone at the cafe.”

 

You should have called me using another phone,” Sehun said, apparently calming down.

 

It was late by the time I got home...didn't want to bother you.”

 

Luhan could hear his boyfriend growling on the other end. “Just call me to let me know you're okay! I was worried you were kidnapped or something!”

 

Hey, I'm not a kid – besides Tao taught me some useful self-defense moves.”

 

Pfftttt like that will do anything.” Luhan could tell that Sehun was rolling his eyes.

 

Well I'm here – safe and sound.”

 

Good.” Sehun lets out a sigh.

 

Sehun-ah?”

 

Yeah?”

 

Why didn't you call me the other day?” The question was nagging Luhan ever since that day.

 

Because they woke us up early and took us sightseeing around the island. It was nice and all, but I didn't get any service on my phone.”

 

Oh.” He looked at the clock on the wall – it was time to open the cafe. “Sehun-ah, I have to work now. I'll talk to you later.”

 

Okay. Bye..” He could hear the disappointment in Sehun's voice.

 

While serving the customers, Luhan noticed that he was smiling a lot more than he did yesterday. Hearing Sehun's voice again had certainly lifted his spirits.

 

All that was left was to wait 5 more days. I can do this!

 

DAY 6

I CAN'T DO THIS!!!!

 

Luhan was rolling around in bed, growing tremendously impatient. The stupid clock was taking forever to tick to the next minute and Luhan was suffering from Sehun withdrawal.

 

He hasn't seen his boyfriend in days and it was slowly killing him.

 

Pictures of Sehun laid scattered on his desk. Luhan would look through his massive collection of Sehun photos whenever he felt extra lonely, but the photographs couldn't do him any justice. His hair wasn't as shiny. His eyes weren't as fierce. His lips weren't as soft. His face wasn't as flawless. Sehun was much better in person.

 

Sehun in photos wasn't the Sehun he needed.

 

DAY 7

Luhan breaks.

 

Can you guys lend me some money? I promise I'll pay you all back,” Luhan asked the other boys at the breakfast table.

 

He had just gotten off the phone with Sehun, and he was forced to admit that talking to the boy on the phone was no longer cutting it. He needed to see him.

 

We were wondering when you would crack,” Chanyeol said with his signature grin.

 

How did you know –?”

 

Hyung, we saw those Jeju pamphlets in your room,” Tao answered with a smile.

 

And you were always on the computer looking at flight times,” Baekhyun added.

 

Oh..Sooooo can I borrow some money? I'll just get the cheapest flight, which would mean I'll be there for only a day, but it doesn't matter, as long as I get to see Sehun.”

 

Kai laughed. “You're hopeless hyung.”

 

Suho nudged Kai on the side. “Hyung, we'll be happy to help.”

 

Kris got up and opened one of the drawers. “Here. We already had the money ready for a plane ticket – you'll have to fly coach, but I don't think you care.” He handed Luhan an envelope.

 

Thank you! Thank you!!!” Luhan hugged him while jumping up and down, unable to hide his excitement.

 

Uh I think we need hugs too,” Xiumin interjected with a mischievous smile.

 

Luhan laughed, feeling happy for the first time in days. “Of course!”

 

He went around and gave everybody a bear hug (Chen struggled a bit but gave in after Luhan pouted).

 

I packed you some food for your flight,” Kyungsoo said as he took out a large bag from the fridge.

 

Have a safe trip hyung,” Lay said before Luhan waved them bye, carrying the bag out to the hallway where he placed his suitcase.

 

Sehun-ah, I'll see you in a few hours. 

 

 

~~~~~~ Yayyyyy an update!! This chapter took me forever because I wasn't sure on how exactly I want Luhan to spend his days without Sehunnie...It was giving me a headache and I procrastinated like 10 times! That airport scene took forever to write. You will get another chapter tomorrow - Sehun's side of story. 

Hope you enjoyed the chapter. Thanks for the comments and the support :) My subscribers are the best ♥