The Wince

I Couldn't Care Less

 

I'm the birthday boy so why am I cleaning up the mess?” Sehun asked as he threw away the empty cups left behind by his hyungs, who have all passed out in the living room after partying like animals.

Because it'll take me forever if I do it alone,” Luhan replied as he put away the party decorations and wiped the kitchen table clean.

 

Luhan and Sehun were the only two who didn't drink – Luhan didn't want a repeat of what had happened when he was drunk, and Sehun wasn't allowed to drink, not with Luhan watching him like a hawk. So that was how they were left with the task of cleaning up.

 

Taking a quick inspection of the kitchen, Sehun decided that it was almost as clean as when Kyungsoo cleaned it. Good enough.

 

He spotted Luhan putting something in a box and carefully placing it in the fridge. The darn strawberry cake.

 

Hyung, why did you get me a strawberry cake?” Even though Sehun knew that strawberry cakes were Luhan's favorite, he didn't think the older boy would order his own favorite cake for the maknae's birthday. That would be too selfish right?

 

Because I felt bad about always eating your strawberry cakes at school. That's why for your birthday, I wanted to give you a strawberry cake, rather than take,” Luhan answered happily.

 

Sehun just stared at his hyung, amused by his simple mindedness. He really thinks I like strawberry cake.

 

They walked into the living room to check out the scene. Long bodies were dangling from every piece of furniture, legs and arms sprawled across the floor. It almost looked like one of those scenes from a battlefield, fallen soldiers scattered everywhere, but without the blood.

 

They're pretty much knocked out. We should just leave them like this,” Sehun concluded with Luhan nodding in agreement, “besides they look comfortable..sort of.”

 

The Baekyeol couple were sleeping on the small couch. Chanyeol's long limbs were hanging over the armrest, and Baekhyun was laying on top of him, snoring cutely on his boyfriend's chest. Chen was awkwardly sleeping on the glass coffee table, still holding a cup in his hand. Lay's lower half was under the coffee table; his upper half was using Suho's stomach as a pillow. Kai and Kyungsoo were on the floor, closest to the tv, hands and feet oddly placed. Their sleeping positions made it seem like they fell asleep while playing twister. Kris and Tao slept on the big couch, laying in opposite directions. Kris had his legs on Tao's side, creating a sort of barrier in case the younger boy might fall off. And Xiumin...... he was sleeping in a pile of balloons with a plate of cake on his stomach. They all still have their party hats on, except for Kris who claimed, “I don't do party hats.”

 

Luhan giggled at the other boys and grabbed Sehun's arm, gesturing for him to leave the room. “Let's go to bed Sehun-ah.”

 

Sehun's heart started beating unusually fast. His palms were getting clammy. 

 

He didn't know whether it was the way Luhan said his name or the sentence itself, but he allowed Luhan to lead him upstairs and into their room. This is completely new for Sehun. He was not use to being led (usually he was the one in control), but for some reason he was fine with Luhan taking over. I'm probably just exhausted.

 

Once on his bed, all Sehun wanted to do was close his eyes and sleep, but Luhan would have none of it. He kept pestering him with questions, evidently curious as to how Sehun felt about his “surprise” birthday party.

 

Were you really surprised? We got you good, didn't we?”

 

Sehun mumbled, “Mmm. Yeahhh.”

 

Did you like your cake? How was the food?”

 

Preferring not to answer the first part, Sehun simply answered, “It was fine.”

 

Do you like the present I got you?”

 

Uh huh.”

 

Luhan had gotten him a teal music notebook with the letters of his name stickered across the front. Although Sehun was thankful for the gift (he was in need of a new notebook to write his music in), he highly doubts he'll use it in public because the stickers were annoyingly glittery. Other people can easily mistaken it as a private journal belonging to a 13 year old girl. Sehun rather not risk that.

 

Luhan had gotten silent, only now aware that his roommate wasn't in the mood to talk. He turned to his side to face Sehun, who had his lids closed. Luhan resisted the urge to poke the boy in the cheek.

 

Sehun-ah...I know you left the umbrella at the cafe for me,” Luhan said softly. Sehun's eyelids pop open, surprised by Luhan's revelation.

 

Why did you do that?” Luhan continued, eyes staring at Sehun.

 

Uhhh. The other hyungs told me to,” Sehun lied.

 

Oh...”

 

Sehun caught the disappointment in Luhan's reply.

 

They were both silent after that. Sehun kept thinking about Luhan and his tone... The way he sounded when Sehun told him the reason behind the umbrella. Why was he disappointed?

 

----

Hey Oh Sehun, when did you get yourself a cute little boyfriend?” asked the obnoxious guy (an annoying classmate) as he took a seat across from Sehun at his lunch table. The guy and his 2 hoodlums made themselves comfortable while Sehun glowered at them with cold eyes.

 

What are you talking about?” Sehun asked, keeping his voice steady. He already knew the answer.

 

They were referring to Luhan.

 

Apparently, after seeing the two frequently eat lunch together, the student population started gossiping. Everyone talked about how the popular flower boy from China is the only person to successfully “melt the icy Sehun” as they put it.

 

Frankly, Sehun was sick of it.

 

Before people would not even look him in the eye whenever he walked into a room, now they whisper and point at him like he was some joke. His reputation is being tarnished, and they don't even know that Luhan lives with him. If they find out that Luhan actually shares a room with him, it will only get worse.

 

I'm talking about that pretty Chinese fairy,” the guy jeered. When his two buddies started laughing, his ugly face twisted into a uglier smug face. Sehun balled his hand into a fist. They were really testing his patience.

 

Can you leave? Looking at you idiots is making me lose my appetite,” Sehun said flatly.

 

Does that mean it's true?” They cackled. “Sehun is dating the flower boy-”

 

I am not. Shut the hell up,” Sehun said with such firmness, one of the boys shifted his eyes down, not daring to look Sehun straight in the eye. That's right, punk. You're in the presence of Oh Sehun, you better look away-

 

Sh*t Luhan is coming.

 

Out of the corner of his eyes, Sehun saw Luhan making his way towards Sehun's table. This is not going to be good.

 

Sehun wanted to telepathically tell the older boy not to come near the table, but he knew it was useless. How do I make sure he doesn't come sit down...

 

It's not my fault that Chinese transfer kid has the hots for me,” Sehun exclaimed loudly.

 

Luhan stops, right behind where the three punks were sitting. Yes hyung, don't come here.

 

I only put up with him because he looks like a kicked puppy if I refuse. And I'm against animal cruelty,” Sehun said with straight face. The boys in front of him laughed. Sehun played along and smirked.

 

But then he caught Luhan's face and froze.

 

The older boy looked hurt...extremely hurt. Tears were starting to form, his eyes were glistening. He then turn to leave, but not before Sehun caught sight of a single fallen tear rolling down his cheek. Hyung....

 

After the punks left him, Sehun immediately text Luhan to meet him in the restroom outside the cafeteria. By the time Sehun gets to the restroom, Luhan was already there, staring at his reflection. His eyes were swollen.

 

Luhan hyung,” Sehun quietly called out. The older boy turned around and stared at Sehun, piercing right through his very soul.

 

What happened to your eyes? Are you okay?” Sehun asked, clearly concerned.

 

Since when have you known?” Luhan asked with a shaky voice. His hands were shaking. Why is he shaking?

 

Known what?” Sehun gave the other boy a confused face. Luhan, what are you talking about?

 

About me likin --”

 

BANG. The door bust open and the same three punks came in. Dammit! Not them again! Are they following me or something?!

 

Is that princess giving you a hard time Sehun?” The leader asked, closing in on Luhan. The older boy shot Sehun a terrified look, but Sehun's attention was focused on the jerks.

 

Why the hell are they here?Why are they even concern with my business?

 

It's fine. I can handle it,” Sehun replied hurriedly. He needed to get them out of here before...

 

Without warning, the leader roughly shoved Luhan against the wall. Sehun flinched.

 

Oww,” Luhan whimpered in pain. His eyes started welling up.

 

Sehun's eyes widen. What is happening???

 

He couldn't believe what he was witnessing. Luhan was just pinned against the wall by these thugs and to make it worse, he was too shock to help his roommate. He just stood there, frozen to his spot near the sink.

 

I admit you're a pretty firecracker, but you need to stop clinging on to Sehun. We don't need you 'gay-ing' up the school. Learn your place!” the guy snarled in Luhan's face.

 

Luhan was now visibly shaken. Sehun tighten his fist, ready to strike at Luhan's attackers.

 

That's it! I will give you a piece of my mind. You son of a bit--

 

I suggest you let him go.”

 

All the boys turned towards the door and there stood Kris with Tao, currently cracking his knuckles, next to him.

 

Hey we don't want any trouble. We were just teaching this Chinese fairy a lesson,” the guy said as he backed away from Luhan, obviously not willing to get in a scuffle with the tallest kid in the university.

 

But Kris wasn't going to let the punk leave without a scratch, so he gave the guy a right jab to the jaw. The guy bent over in pain. His two buddies started panicking and ran out of the bathroom, but not before Tao stuck out his foot and tripped them.

 

Don't call him that again,” Kris said as he pulled the guy he just punched up, so he could look him in the face.

 

And don't mess with him..or else,” Tao added, looking quite scary.

 

F-fine. Fine!” The guy ran out of the bathroom.

 

Sehun was glued to his spot while all of this went down. What the....

 

Luhan hyung are you okay?” Tao asked, snapping Sehun out of his temporary state of confusion.

 

Sehun turned to look at Luhan, who now had tears quietly rolling down his cheeks. Sehun finally moved and came over to the other boy.

 

He reached out a hand, hoping to place it on Luhan's shoulders to comfort him, but the boy winced and took a step back.

 

For the -nth time that day, Sehun froze. His chest tighten. It felt like someone had stabbed him in the heart.

 

Luhan..did he just...is he afraid that I'll hurt...him?

 

Do you want us to take you to the infirmary?” Kris asked, worry written all over his face.

 

Luhan shook his head and ran out of the room.

 

Not looking back.

 

Not seeing the anguish that had appeared on Sehun's face. 

 

Luhan....

 

 

~~~~~~ Sehun you bad boy! Unintentionally hurting Luhan with your words.... :(

Next chapter will be up soon. It'll be Luhan's side of what happened. Why was he so shaken? Why did he wince? All will be revealed! 

I want to thank all my subscribers! You guys are awesome for sticking with me. Lol I appreciate it :D