7 Days- (Nine) Bringing you back to Heaven

7 Days

He's not just trying now. He's going all out to make sure it happens.




Kyungsoo feels he must be doing something right when he sees you finally breaking into a smile. Something about it makes him giddy with happiness and it's like nothing else matters.

When Baekhyun brings in the slice of cake with a single lit candle on it, they sing a birthday song for you, the clapping louder than the actual song.

You giggle and say a quick wish, "That mom will get better soon," and the silent one, "That Kyungsoo will be happy, even when he goes back to Ggyeongi-do."

That last wish makes your heart tighten a little as you blow out the candles.

____________________

"It's three days down, four to go." Baekhyun reminds Kyungsoo after you leave for the hospice.

"She's doing good... I think." Kyungsoo gives a flimsy smile as he helps clear the plates. "I can't seem to sense her thoughts the same way when I'm up there. It's like there's a veil or something between us and... I can't do anything about it."

Baekhyun nods. "Yup, that sounds like it. Our sensors are affected when we are down here. Welcome to the mortal world, full of guesses and surprises."

He smirks and gives the plates to the back kitchen ahjumma for washing. 


"Why are you talking like you have been through it before? I'm not sure whether I like that though. I'm finding it hard to adjust... say, do we get like allergies or something?"

"Allergies? No, not that I know of. Why?"

"I-I find my heart palpitating sometimes. Like someone just knocked the breath out of me or something."

Baekhyun frowns.

"When does this happens?"

"Usually when... I'm with her." Kyungsoo muses.

He is surprised to hear Baekhyun snickering.

"W-What?"


Baekhyun crosses his arms and leans on the counter, eyes dancing with amusement. "Kyungsoo... Do Kyungsoo."

"Yes?" The other angel answers cautiously.

"Have you ever fallen in love?"

"In Lo--- ?" He pauses and tries to recall. "No."


"Not even a crush?"

"Well... " Kyungsoo's voice automatically lowers. "Does liking movie stars count?"

"Not that kind where you can only touch over the screen. No, like really really liking someone around you."

Kyungsoo shakes his head.

"What has that got to do with my allergies?"


Baekhyun sighs.

"Just take it from me, don't get any closer to __________ than you did already. It will be harder when you are leaving."

__________________


You enter the ward to find your mom sleeping.

Trying to be as discreet as possible, you angle the chair beside the bed towards her and sits, watching her take in ragged breaths.


You can hear the muted chattering of the two nurses outside and someone talking over the phone.

The frivolity makes the scene in front of you look more ordinary, almost like you are not a part of it. Just an outsider, watching.


She suddenly lets out a dry groan, but eyes still sewn shut. Her lips are dry.

You pick up the jug and pour some water into the plastic brown cup, drawing up some water into a straw and placing it just on the tip of her lips. She moves on instinct and you release the water. She swallows and her breathing stills again.

For a wild moment, unknown panic grips you and you fear she'll go just like that.

You place a hand on the bed, near her paper-like body, as if to stablilize yourself.


"Mom... " You whisper, feeling silly, but when the words come out, you find courage to press on. "It's my birthday today. Someone... celebrated it with me and... I'm happy."

You pause. You've never told her before, but it seems... right. Now.

"I love you mom."

____________________


Kyungsoo is sitting on the couch flipping through the cds you recommended when Baekhyun's words strike him.

"Have you ever fallen in love?"

He died when he was 19 in a car accident. He didn't remember much of what happened. It's like that. When they go up, all the bad things cease to exist. Even memories.

He did remember working too hard to be a sous chef though. It was a dream come true, but in the process, he gave up too many opportunities.


When he first saw you, you reminded him a little bit of himself. Too busy with your dream to notice that people around you don't and won't always stay the same.

You became a music director, got your first boyfriend, then your first house in Seoul, then things started falling apart one by one. When you finally realized that, it's already too late.

He saw you disintegrate. A happy, chatty person suddenly forging layers and layers of barriers around yourself until one day, you don't see anymore, blind in your own fortress imprisoned in darkness.


He's always been the sensitive kind. He had to help.

When he descended, wings burning with the sear of speed, feet toppling on cold hard earth, he was trying to make you change your mind.

That's all. To save you from hell. Back to heaven.


But somewhere along the way, saving you has taken on a whole new level.

He's not just trying now. He's going all out to make sure it happens.



Is that love?

He's not sure.

He only knows that he's fallen. And now he won't go back unless he knows you'll be with him, ultimately.