7 Days- (Two) Seven days

7 Days

“Only for seven days. I’ll have a job by tomorrow, so I can pay you back the rent for the week, then I’ll be out of here.” You marvel at how he speaks with such absolute certainty about a job that hasn’t yet exist.


“Where are you going?”


“To the place where I’m supposed to be.” He smiles, cocking his head to one side.


“I’m sure your positivity will find you a job soon enough.” You didn’t press on, only nod and unlocks the door to your apartment.



During the bus-trip (which you paid since he doesn’t even have a dime on him) you gather he’s a university grad in culinary arts and was a sous chef for a fine dining restaurant back in Ggyeongi-do.


“What brings you here?” You had asked.


“Let’s just say something changed my discourse of life. And now I’m back to fix some things before I go back.” He gave you a knowing glance and you let the vagueness hung between you, feeling oddly as if you were involved.



After giving him a short tour of the house (which isn’t much to go by anyway), you hand him a towel for showering.


“I— don’t have any spare clothes to change.” He mulls as he takes over the towel, seemingly embarrassed.

You flush a little at his comment. Didn’t he bring anything with him when he came here?


“Uhm… I’ll see what I have.”


You slip into your room and open your closet.


Memories are a when it comes back in a form called ex-boyfriend’s belongings. The mental image you had shoved in the corner of your mind and inhumed in chronic work the past two years pops up together with the blue shirt and grey sweatpants. You meant to throw them away during last year’s spring cleaning but your mother called you for help at the last minute and it was chucked further into the closet. Until now.

You figure at least one good thing came out of it, the forgotten reliving its purpose on another being- Kyungsoo.


That’s his name.


“Sorry, I only have these.”

“It’s perfect.” Kyungsoo grins and rises promptly from the sofa, taking the clothing. “I’ll be done shortly.”


You watch him disappear into the bathroom and shuffles to the kitchen to make some supper.

It’s been a long time since you’ve last cooked for anyone else except your mother. There isn’t much to work with in the fridge except for some ramen and kimchi. That will have to do. You can’t possibly match the standards of a sous chef anyway, not that you want to try.


When he steps out of the shower to the aroma of food, his voice sings with appreciation, “That smells really good!”

You survey his garb. It looks a tad bigger on him, making him look tinier than he really is. “We should probably get you some clothes tomorrow. Anyway…” You lay the two bowls of ramen on the table. “Nothing much here, but that’s all I have in the fridge.”

“Ah, simple fare is always the best.” He beams as he pulls out a chair to sit.

“I guess when one is hungry, anything tastes heavenly.” You pass him the utensils and perch across him, then notice his stare. “Why?”


“Thank you, _______________ ” He quips earnestly and grins as he claps his hands together before taking in a mouthful of noodles. “It’s delicious!” He sounds genuinely sincere.

“T-Thanks.” Something stirs in you as you watch him tuck in.


The ramen suddenly tastes much better.