7 Days- (Four) She's going down

7 Days

“You are looking at him.” Baekhyun quips. Kyungsoo stares at the dog.

“Yeol?”


 


Kyungsoo stretches his arms high above his head as he steps out of the apartment building, taking a deep breath before hollering, “좋다 (Nice)!! Kyungsoo hwaiting!”

He decides to go to the gelato cafe earlier since he’s got nothing to do at home anyway.



When he opens the heavy glass door to enter, a large white shepherd dog pounces on his legs, pink tongue hanging out and tail wagging excitedly.


“Oh, hello there!” He bents to its head.

“So, how’s things so far?”


Kyungsoo shoots a glance towards that familiar voice.


“Baekhyun?” His round eyes widens even more as he recognizes his friend standing cross-armed leaning against the side of the reception counter.

“What are you doing here?”


“Well, just checking how things’ going for you…” He untangles his hands and struts forward. “You’ve moved in, haven’t you?”

“Yes… Wait a minute, if you are here, then Chanyeol…” Kyungsoo’s eyes darts across the now-empty cafe for his other friend.

He and Baekhyun are literally attached at the hips wherever they go. Kyungsoo is unfortunately roped into their clan when he first wobbled through the gates, still awed by the stupendous glory around him when a long limb clapped itself across his shoulders and a deep, booming voice announced him as their new best friend.

Chanyeol, he said his name was.

Kyungsoo had to look up because he’s so obnoxiously tall, his brown eyes sparkling and face wide in a teeth baring grin… that looks oddly like the one the dog is giving him now.


“You are looking at him.” Baekhyun quips.

Kyungsoo stares at the dog.

“Yeol?”


The dog barks cheerfully in response, tongue hanging out with bits of spit.

A snort escapes from Kyungsoo, “You? A dog?”


And then he hears it.


“Am I safe? Baekhyun? Am I safe? Can I speak?”

It’s strange to hear Chanyeol’s bassy voice coming from a dog, even when it’s almost a whisper. Almost, because Chanyeol for the world, can never quite master something so intrinsic for others with that thundering voice of his.


“The boss is out on errands, you are free to terrorize our dear friend Kyungsoo, Yeol.” Baekhyun pats the back of the shepherd smartly.

It gives a yelp with the slap of permission and though jaws unmoving, Chanyeol’s unmistakable voice emerges, “He didn’t say human, Kyungsoo-ah! He said we are free to choose what we want to be when we came down! I’ve always wanted to be a dog! You know, just laze around, eat, run and chase after butterflies and my tail… I don’t have to wear clothes like you and because I’m so fluffy looking, the pets shop opposite already adopted me when they first saw me lurking outside yesterday night, free food and lodgings!”

He yelps again merrily and prances around in celebratory mode.

That’s Chanyeol all right.


Kyungsoo straightens up and examines his other friend.

“You are wearing the uniform…” He points at Baekhyun then at himself, clad in the same dark brown shirt and black pants.

“I’m one of the temps here as well. You could have been doubling up as the cashier if you came last night, but…” Baekhyun flashes a knowing grin as he wags a finger at Kyungsoo. “You were at the bus-stop, weren’t you?”

Kyungsoo snickers and shrugs, “Since you already know, why ask?”

“Well, I just want to make sure you are making full use of your time here, you know.” Baekhyun’s perky tone drops a notch as he continues. “Seven days, Kyungsoo. You’ve only got seven days.”

“Anything came out of it yet?” Chanyeol halts his prancing and sits still, puppy eyes on Kyungsoo.

“I don’t know.” Kyungsoo confesses quietly.


“You were watching her through that glass wall for almost two years, Kyungsoo. I understand things can get a bit emotional, her being your first mortal and all… but you are clearer about her situation than any of us and it's going to get worse… Her mother is going to die soon. And on the seventh day, you know you are not supposed to be involved then. Free will, Kyungsoo-ah, she has to make the decision herself. Whether she goes up with us or down there, it’s already decided. Will you be able to change anything? I’m surprised He even allows you to come down here.” Baekhyun throws his hands up and sighs, “Oh well, His ways are higher than ours anyway.”


“I’m just trying to help her see what she really is, Baekhyun. She’s stronger than she thinks and I have faith in her. He probably does too. That’s why I’m here.” Kyungsoo’s brows furrows adamantly.

“You are her guardian angel, not me. But the last time I checked, Kyungsoo-ah, when a suicide is predicted and the guardian isn’t assigned to receive her, it can only mean one thing. She’s going down.”


“Or it can mean someone else is receiving her instead.”

“Who?” Chanyeol cuts in.

Both Baekhyun and Kyungsoo swivels their gaze to the shepherd.


“I don’t know, Yeol.” Kyungsoo admits with a wispy smile.

“At least you are making her happy these few days.” Baekhyun raises his eyebrows, his tone light and pesky again.

“Being happy is a personal choice. But I’ll just give her more ice-cream.” Kyungsoo corresponds, his eyes disappearing into half moons.

“Your plan is sorely simple, but it sure did capture her attention yesterday night, so what do I know? It may work.” Baekhyun sighs resignedly.


“Can I have some ice-cream too?” Chanyeol pleads.

Kyungsoo chuckles. “Ice-cream gives humans pleasure but dogs tummy aches…So, no.”


He saunters across the room and behind the counter.

The shepherd shifts its attention to the other uniformed human.


“Baekhyun?” Its legs stamp restlessly.

“Ask your guardian angel.” Baekhyun smirks and joins Kyungsoo behind the counter.

“But you are my guardian angel!” Chanyeol protests.

“Before.” Baekhyun raises one finger and counters. “Now, it’s Him.”


The shepherd growls gloomily and places its head on his paws.


“I’m asking Him to change me back into a human.”