7 Days- (Eight) Happy Birthday

7 Days

I don't know you long enough, but I know everyone deserves a happy birthday."






The air smells musky yet invigorating after the rain.

Kyungsoo looks crisp and fresh in his light blue button-up shirt and white pants. He's still wearing the same white sneakers you first saw him in and it's making slight ripples in the puddles on the pavement as he walks.


"Do you have any preference?" He turns to you and asks.

You slip your hands into the pockets of your melon red cardigan and shrugs.

"Nothing in particular."

"How about the cafe that I work in? They serve mains too. Sandwiches, pasta, that sort of stuff."

"Ok, I guess." You shrug again.


Both of you cross the narrow road towards the gelato cafe. The dependable looking wooden signboard has a round yellow logo of an ice-cream on it. The glass windows looking in to a simple design of chrome-plated brown tables and pairs of chairs neatly arranged against white washed walls, a counter display of sweets and pastries a few meters away.

It's cozy and homely.


You've bought ice-cream here before but never sat in the cafe the one year it's been here, because it just seems like the kind of place you go with company, not alone.

You've always been alone.

But now, Kyungsoo is holding the door for you as you enter, the smell of waffles and ice-cream hitting you in the nose.


It's still early for both dinner and dessert, so there's no one else in the cafe except for the slim looking guy with a really small face behind the counter. He's smiling and greets you first politely, then to Kyungsoo, "I thought you'd never come."

The two of them chuckles as if it's an inside joke and you glance at Kyungsoo, but he didn't look your way, only proceeds to the nearest table behind you and pulls out a chair.

"Thanks." You mumble and sit, hands fiddling with the menu on the table.


He drags the seat across from you for himself. "The carbonara pasta here is quite nice. You like pasta don't you?"

"How do you know?" You widen your eyes.

"You just look like the kind that does." He smiles, tidy white teeth showing.

"I seem to look like a lot of things to you that other people don't really notice." You snigger and goes back to the menu.

Kyungsoo just laughs.


"I'll have the carbonara then." You announce after ten seconds of flipping through the two page menu, 3/4 of which are desserts.

"Ok, I'll have the same." He signals to the thin guy. "Baekhyun-ah, two carbonaras, chef's order please."

You raise your eyebrows.

"Chef's order?"

Kyungsoo only beams.



Three minutes later, the food arrives.

"That's... fast." You gawk as his colleague presents the two steamy plates before the two of you.

"Enjoy." He smiles at you, then winks at Kyungsoo before slipping away.

"Quick, try it." He urges.

You down a mouthful and it only takes three seconds for you to start writhing in pleasure.


"Woah!" You exclaim.

"H-How is it?" Kyungsoo has this half worried and half expectant expression.

"It's... If only I know how close I am to heaven like just a walk across the street, I'll be coming every day." You succeed with another bite and continues to revel in delicious delirium.

"So I take that as good." He says, somewhat in relief.

"What do you mean? The chef who made this should be given a raise or something and has his name in papers, Michelin or whatever..." You babble and continue to stuff yourself.

"Well, I did get an advanced pay. I was worried whether re-heating it will compromise on the flavor..."

"You... wait, what? You made this?!" You can hear yourself in a near scream. He sniggers.


"Ho, calm down! Y-Yeah, I made it and I was hoping you won't be craving something else and..."

"When?!" You cut him short.

"Oh, when you are sleeping just now. I-I had some time and when I finished I went up and woke you..."

"Gosh, you make these... these... fine dishes and you had to endure my... lackluster ramen, oh man..." You cup your forehead, elbows hitting the table with a soft thud in dejection.

"It's... No! Your ramen tastes wonderful! I mean, it's only kimchi and ramen, but it's the best I've eaten, really!" His bright eyes are shining when you look up again.

This guy.

"Why?"

"W-Why, what?" He stares, not understanding.

"Why do you... do this?" You gesture limply with your hands.

"It's... my present for you. Birthday present."


"My bir-- " You stop short.

It's your birthday today.

You cleanly forgot about it.


"And.. there's supposed to be a cake. I didn't bake it though, it's the ice-cream cake from our cafe... which is meant to be... a surprise..." He trails off weakly, silently chastising himself for giving it away as he squeezes his eyes.


"How do you know... my birthday?"

Of course he does.

"Well... A little bird told me." The guardian angel smiles. "And there's the mailers you haven't gone through, lying on the table. One of them is a discount coupon for your birthday. It's written there."



"Kyungsoo..." Your voice is quiet.

"Y-Yes?"


"Thanks."

He is stunned because you are smiling, but there's tears in your eyes too.


"I-It's... nothing much." He's panicking. He isn't expecting this. "D-Don't cry."

You tilt your head back, willing the tears back in.

"I'm just... You don't have to..." You force a smile. "I-It's just been... so long, you know? Since someone celebrated my birthday, with me, like this? And... And you don't even know me."

He takes a deep breath and leans forward, eyes burning earnestly.

"I don't know you long enough, but I know everyone deserves a happy birthday."



"... "

"Happy birthday, ___________ ." He smiles, that heart-shaped smile of his.

 

 

 

 

 

 

______________

 

How are you liking the story so far? ^^