Layered Cake

Us Against The World
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Stop," Hyunjoo whispered, holding a hand up as a signal to halt everyone's movement. Everyone had split into their two groups at the house, driving off in different directions. Team B, Hyunjoo's group, had traveled west, into the more urban area. She noted that if the group was a gang based in such an affluent area, they must have either come from well off families, or they must have done a lot to get there. And by work, she meant underground dealings, blackmail, and most likely the occasional hit-man run. That was normal for groups who were located in areas such as the one they were in currently.

But back to the events at hand. The seven of them had parked their car a good distance from the address given to them before they walked down the clean streets of the city. Kyungsoo scratched his head as he looked at their surroundings, asking, "Are you sure The Kin are here? It seems a bit too..." "Nice? If They're the kind of gang I think they are, then of course they'd live in a place like this," Hyujoo said as she glanced at the address in the front the store she stood before. "Wait, it's a cafe?" Luhan asked, his face making a confused expression as he tilted his head to get a better look inside the window.

The interior of the cafe was rather eclectic, a mash up of different concepts in furniture, art pieces, and lights all over the room. With its strange variety of furniture it looked rather warm and cozy, which must have been one of the reasons there were so many families inside. Another thing noted was that there was so many children inside the cafe, all pushing up against the glass of the food displays. Hyunjoo watched as a little girl pointed at one of the small cakes behind the glass before glancing at her parents who stood behind her, asking if she could have one. The mother's eyes turned up happily as she nodded her head, and the father began laughing at how cute his daughter was as he picked her up in his arms and told her that he would buy her one. 

Suho furrowed his brows and glanced over at Hyunjoo, who had an equally puzzled expression on her face. "This doesn't really seem like the kind of place a gang would be in." Hyunjoo shook her head. "You're right, it doesn't," she replied as she watched two people emerge from behind the kitchen door to the cash registers. "That's them," Tao whispered as he compared the picture on his phone with the guys who had just appeared, "That one is Jungkook, The Kin's first line of combat, and the other one is Yoongi, he's in charge of their artillery."

"You sure man?" Xiumin questioned as he watched Jungkook grin brightly and hand the little girl a strawberry shortcake, "They don't look like the intimidating, or even violent type to me." "They never do, Xiumin," Hyunjoo answered before she walked to the door and opened it, stepping inside with a smile. The guys followed shortly after. "Hi there," Yoongi called to her with a beaming smile, "Welcome to 2 Cool 4 Skool cafe! I haven't see you here before."

Hyunjoo bowed her head slightly and moved closer to the front, making sure not to push any of the children who were still staring in aw at the delicious looking pasteries. "This is my, our, first time," she explained, motioning over to the six others standing a bit further behind for the cash register. Yoongi raised an eyebrow. "Wow, so many people. How did you hear about us?" "A friend recommended it to us. We're not from this part of town," She answered as her eyes gazed down at the very tempting chocolate truffle cake under the glass.

Yoongi noticed and chuckled at her antics. "Do you want to try a piece? It has a mint cream filling, really good." Hyunjoo blinked at him, mouth beginning to water at the thought before she snapped out of it and quickly shook her head. "No! I mean, I'm sure it's great! I can pay for mine," Hyunjoo stammered as she took her wallet out in a flash. But Yoongi had already beaten her to it, putting one of the dark colored cakes onto a small white plate with lacy blue pattern around it. "Nope, you're a new customer. The first one's on us," he said with a bright expression. "But-" "Just take it, okay?" he said with a wink as he handed her the plate, "Now run along. You're friends are waiting for you at the tables."

Before Hyunjoo could argue any further, Yoongi had moved his attention to the next customer behind her, causing her to sigh and take the plate back towards the others. They looked at her with curious glances. "Did you buy a cake?" Suho questioned as she placed the plate down upon their medium sized table. She shook her head. "Well, I was going to, but he beat me to it and gave it to me for free," she explained. "Is he flirting with you?" Xiumin asked, a smirk growing on his face. A hand flew over and smacked the boy on the back of his head, causing him to groan in pain. "Frick!" "Stop it. This is serious business," Baekhyun said, his eyes slanted judging towards the other. Hyunjoo took a small fork and cut a small piece off for herself before she ate it. "Oh my gosh..." she whispered, eyes widening as she looked at the others, "this tastes amazing! You all need to try this."

The others looked at one another, shrugging their shoulders before all grabbing forks and digging in themselves. The consensus was unanimous, The Kin made delicious cakes. Just as everyone had reached for their fourth bite, Luhan froze and stared at the plate. "Guys!" he whispered, turning his head quickly towards the rest of the group, "the plate!" Hyunjoo's eyes looked down and focused on the small dessert dish before a sudden gasp escaped her lips. Scratched onto the surface of the dish, lying just beneath the last remains of cake filling and cookie base, was the phrase, "We know who you are. Why are you here?"

A shutter danced down Hyunjoo's spine as she read the words. "That means they are aware of our connection with TEEN TOP," Kyunsoo whispered to the others in a low voice, now hyper aware that they were being watched. Hyunjoo looked from her peripheral vision and saw that both Yoongi and Jungkook, though both still hard at word as they gave everyone their deserts from behind the counter, were staring and her and the rest of the guys with extremely min

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter