Caught In The Act

Us Against The World
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The night seemed darker than usual. It seemed as if the stars had decided to not come out this night. The wind rushed through the trees, picking up pieces of trash and dead leaves into the air. Jae and Kai quietly walked up the steep hill. They jumped and hid at every little noise; it kept them on their toes.

Jae let a puff of air escape her lungs as they reached the top of the mound, stopping in her tracks and closing her eyes to catch her breath. Kai turned his head and looked over at the younger girl, tilting his head to the side slightly. "Hey... You okay there?" He asked. 

"...Yeah, I'm perfectly fine~" She said, inhaling another breath before opening her eyes and looking forward. Her eyes scanned the area before them. Tacky neon signs lit up the businesses that lined the side of the street. The buildings were covered in graffiti and many of them had boarded up windows. The sight made Jae breath a sigh of relief. Places like this was where she felt the most comfortable, minus the possible danger surrounding their reasons for being there.

Kai's eyes shot back and forth through the location, his nose scrunching up a bit. Jae looked up at him and chuckled lightly under her breath, making him turn his head towards her.

"What?" He asked; his eyebrows had furrowed as he questioned her. "You're not used to places like this are you?" She laughed, covering in order to not draw attention to them. Kai rolled his eyes and sneered. "And? I wouldn't come here if you didn't need me." "What do you mean 'if you didn't need me'??? I don't need you!" Jae hissed, turning her head away from him angrily.

Kai suddenly pulled her arm harshly, making Jae fall back hard and lean against his chest. Her eyes widened, body freezing completely in shock. Kai chuckled and wrapped an arm around her waist, the other hand brushing her hair back away from her face as he smirked. "Yes you do Jae," Kai whispered under his breath as he leaned in close to her ear, " and you know it~"

Her cheeks heated up, and Jae quickly pulled away and stared at him exasperatedly. "Are you crazy?!?!" She yelled angrily, "You're such an idiot!!!" Kai's smirk grew and he wiggled his eyebrows. "Oh really? Why are you getting so worked up about it then?" He asked, his voice sounding deeper and huskier than normal. Kai took a step closer to Jae, to which she responded by taking five steps back.

"Don't come near me!" She hollered. Kai chuckled and put a finger to his lips and winked. "Shhh~ You're going to draw unnecessary attention~" Jae grabbed the sides of her hair and pulled in frustration. "Ugggh! I told you already that we are only partners! Don't you dare trying pulling something on me! This is way more important than that, do you understand?" She said in a loud whisper.

Kai laughed quietly and nodded his head. "I got it, don't worry. As long as you don't fall for me during this investigation I think we'll be good." Jae shook her head and blew out a huff of air before regaining her composure and looking around at the scenery.

"Now... Where would BAP go in this part of town?" She asked herself as she looked from sign to sign. Her eyes suddenly focused on a small tag of graffiti on the side of a bar. It was a plain black and white spray, but the work was professionally done. The tag was of the head of a rabbit. Jae smirked at herself, mentally applauding herself as she looked over at Kai and motioned for him to look at that particular building.

"That is where they are." She told him confidently. Kai raised his eyebrows and looked at her. "Are you sure?" He asked. She nodded. He blinked. "...Okay then. Let's go inside and see what they are up to." He replied, smiling as he walked beside her towards the bar.

___________

Once they got inside, the smell of cigarette smoke, alcohol, and filled their lungs. There was barely any light in the room, and whatever lamp was in there was very dim, making it extremely difficult to see. The room was packed with people. Mostly tough, twisted looking drunk men, and a few skimpily clad dressed women. Poker and Pool tables were placed around the room, with different groups of people huddling around each one, hollering and laughing as their games continued. The bar area seated many a drunken man and his friends, speaking in slurred words and ordering more intoxicating beverages.

Jae bit her lower lip and stared at the faces of each person, looking for an acquaintance who she could identify. She could feel Kai shift closer towards her and she looked up at him. He leaned down and whispered to her, "This place is so gross..." She nodded her head and continued to look around. Suddenly she heard a high pitched voice screech aloud, "Well~ If it isn't the little b*tch herself!"

"Oh Lord Jesus help me now...." She prayed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter