A Shot Fired

Stay Alive

''So, you're saying this Minho guy went out with that girl?''

''He didn't just go out with her. They were soulmates. I mean, can you imagine spending your entire life with one person? I don't think anyone had a connection like them.''

''I don't need to imagine that...'' Jaemi was my other half. We've been classmates ever since first grade, and very close friends until we both decided to take our friendship further, and became even closer. 

''Oh yeah...sorry.'' Jonghyun looked away awkwardly.

''Anyway. Jinyoung-ah.''

''Mm?'' I answered Kibum.

''You're not just asking us these things because you're curious are you?''

''No, I'm not.'' If Jaemi was still out there somewhere I wasn't going to sit back crying about it anymore. I was going to solve this case with Jonghyun, and Kibum. Somehow I knew that this Minho person had something to do with Jaemi's disarpearence. 

''So, the three of us...are going to find her? Together?''

''If you're willing to help me then yes. I could use your help.''

''Look, I don't mean to rain on the parade, but we're not detectives. We barely talk to Minho anymore. Actually the last time I spoke to him we got in an argument, so I don't think I'm ready to become some hero.'' Kibum frowned. 

''Kibum's right...'' Jonghyun sighed.

''Guys...I'm not asking you to be heros. I just need something. Something to bring her back to me...it's been months since I went through a whole night without waking up crying. I haven't even hugged my mother because I can't face seeing her hurt over how pathetic I've been. I don't want to be like this anymore, and I can't let Jaemi go through anymore pain. I just can't! But I can't do all of this by myself.''

We were met with an awkward silence. I guess I got a little too passionate with my speech, but all of it came from the heart.  ''I've never met her parents.''

''Mwoh?'' I was confused with Jonghyun's random statement.

''Jaerim. I don't think I ever met her parents. She never mentioned them.''

''Could she have been adopted?'' 

''Adopted? I don't know, that's not really something she could've kept from us. We were kind of close in middle school.'' Kibum tapped his chin in thought.

''Well it's possible right?'' I jumped at the chance of discovering another piece to the puzzle.

''I guess it's possible but-''

''Come on!'' I grabbed a picture of Jaerim Jonghyun brought with him. She was in her school uniform and wore her hair exactly like Jaemi. One long ponytail on the side of her head. She even had the smile I longed to see again.

''Where are we going?!'' Kibum tried to follow behind. 

''You'll see!'' 

                      

                                                                             ________________________________________________

 

My stomach was growing in size. I couldn't stand looking down every five minutes and seeing it jut out. It disgusted me. 

''Jaemi...we need to go to the store. Will you come with?'' Onew smiled hesitantly. 

''Ani.'' I said staring at the wall. 

''Please? We can even have some dried mangos.'' He tried to intrigue my apettite, but my ankles were swollen, I had terrible morning sickness, and I felt like a whale. 

''Fine, you stay here with Soohyun ne? Taemin is down stairs too.'' Minho came over and brushed my hair back. By now I lost all fear of him. I knew how much he wanted to have this baby, and wouldn't lay a finger on me. 

''Come on hyung~'' He grabbed Onew, and the two of them went out. As soon as I saw them walk out of sight I ran downstairs to Taemin.

''Taemin-ah! Give me the phone...please!'' I pulled on his sleeve. 

''Hyungs had all service disconnected for the day....'' He pouted. ''I can't do anything to help you noona...I'm sorry.'' He started crying. 

''There has to be something!'' I looked around and realized that the one phone that used to hang in the kitchen was disconnected. 

''Nope! It's all gone! But then again why would you want to leave?! Isn't this paradise.'' Soohyun smiled in a condescending tone. 

''No, not exactly!'' I glared. 

''You are so bitter! You are having Minho's child and all you do is whine all day, and cry. What's your deal?!'' 

''My deal?! My deal?!?'' My hormones were taking over my body. Soohyun was stepping on my last nerve. ''I don't want this thing! You can have it if you want it so badly. However, if you were the one in my shoes I don't think Minho would care as much. He doesn't seem to like you if you haven't noticed!''

''Me?! And who do you think you are?! Minho doesn't love Hwang Jaemi, he wants Park Jaerim! Well she's gone! I went through enough trouble the first time, and I think you're going to visit your sister pretty soon!'' 

''Noonas! Stop!'' I heard Taemin cry. Soohyun marched over to me, and started beating me! 

''You're going to die just like she did! This time I'll make sure to stuff you away so no one can find you or that baby!'' She landed punches on my face, her hands wrapped around my neck and I lost all air flow to my head. 

''Noona! Please stop!'' Taemin pulled at Soohyun but she wouldn't remove herself from me. 

''T-Taemin~'' I choked out. My vision was getting fuzzy. I couldn't think properly anymore.

 

                                                              _______________________________________________________

 

Soohyun was choking her! I didn't know what to do! Jaemi, and the baby were both going to die.

''Noona! Please stop!'' I tried to get Soohyun away but she was tightening her grip around Jaemi's neck. 

''T-Taemin~'' She reached out for me. Her eyes were slowly closing. I had to do something! 

''The phone!'' I quickly ran to the kitchen to grap the phone, and realized it was disconnected. ''DAMN!'' The cabinet in front of me got a punch. Something big and black clanked onto the kitchen counter. 

''DIE!!!'' I heard Soohyun yell. I lost all reason at that moment. My hands were shaking as I reached for the weapon. One press of a button and I could solve the problem.

''N-noona! P-please forgive me...'' I closed my eyes and pulled down on the trigger. After a loud bang everything stopped. 

 

                                                                     _____________________________________________

''Hyung, we need to get things that are good for the baby.'' Minho smiled. ''What about this?'' He held up a small rattle. ''Do you think it'll like this.'' 

''Who knows?'' I knew it wasn't right, but Minho was himself again. This baby was bringing joy into his life that I don't think he's had for a long time. 

''Omo! We should go to the park a lot right? I hope it's a boy! Do you think he'll like the beach? We live right next to one.'' He babbled as he added things to our cart.

''Minho, I think this is all things we should worry about when the baby's here. Right now it's pointless.'' I sighed. 

''You're right hyun. But if it's a boy I want to name it Jinho.'' He smiled.

''Jinho? Wae?'' I tilted my head.

''It's my name, and yours..your real one. This baby wouldn't be a thought if it wasn't for you. You saved his mother when I was too weak to do anything. Thank you hyung.'' He placed his hand on my shoulder. 

''Yah~ Enough with this girly stuff.'' I laughed awkwardly. ''Let's get back home.'' 

We walked down the boardwalk, and noticed at least three police cars and one ambulance racing past us. In the direction of our house.

''You don't think...'' I asked.

''No way...I had all phone service disconnected...'' Minho sounded a bit sceptical as well. 

A news van raced past us. With one look we knew something was up. We sprinted home. 

As soon as we got there it was a chaotic mess. There were police cars everywhere, the ambulance was carrying someone on a stretcher...a woman!

''Jaemi!'' Onew yelled.

''Excuse me! This is house is under investigation I'm going to have to ask you-''

''Hyung!'' Taemin came running. ''I'm sorry! She was going to kill both of them! I had to stop her!'' 

''What's going on?!'' Minho asked. ''Where's Jaerim?!''

Taemin's blood covered hand pointed to the ambulance. 

''Excuse me sir, are you the owner of this house?'' A police officer stepped to Minho. Without thinking he nodded his head slowly. His eyes were glued to the ambulance truck driving away. 

''We're going to have to take the three of you in for investigation.'' Minho didn't speak. He didn't blink. He just stared. He stared past anything and everything. In his mind I think he was still watching the ambulance truck drive away.