Two Hwang Jaemis

Stay Alive

''Jinyoung! They're here.'' Mrs. Hwang called me from the door. Chansung, and I searched all over town, we checked the hospitals, and called the number Jaemi left Chansung. None of it worked. As we stood in the living room not daring to close our eyes sunlight crept through the curtains making this situation a lot more terrifying. 

''Eomeonim, should I talk to them?'' The police just pulled up to the house so we could file a missing persons report. It pissed me off that they made us wait 24 hours before even getting a chance to tell them about Jaemi's absence.

''Ye, here's the photo.'' She handed me the most recent picture she had of Jaemi. It was of her in the kitchen making dinner. That smile I missed so much was brighter than ever. I almost forgot that I was going to have to explain everything to the police in a few seconds. I pulled myself back together, and opened the door when they knocked.

''Please come in.'' Mr. Hwang didn't even look at them. He sat on the couch a meer shadow of the man he used to be. Chansung, and I were the only ones who could keep a conversation going for Jaemi's sake.

''So what exactly is the issue?'' The taller one asked. His name tag said officer Lee Sungyeol.

''My sister has been missing since yesterday morning. Jinyoung give them the picture.'' Chansung stood from his seat on the couch.

''She went to check a car for sale. No one's been in touch with her since then.'' I handed them the picture, and they chuckled. Chuckled!!

''Is there something funny?!'' Chansung frowned.

''We know where this girl is. She was found three months ago.'' The shorter officer named Nam Woohyun smirked.

''Three months ago? There must be some mistake Jaemi didn't go missing until yesterday.'' It had to be a mistake.

''This girl's body was found in an alley about three months ago. She wasn't in our records at all. So we could never solve the case, or identify her. This is that girl.'' Officer Lee pointed at the picture of Jaemi.

''I'm telling you my sister was here! Just yesterday I was in her room talking to her! She didn't die three months ago!'' Chansung's eyes were blood shot.

''Look there's no need to get upset. We're just trying to make sense of everything.'' Officer Nam sighed.

''Well, you've made a mistake. Jaemi went missing yesterday so please do everything in your power to find her.'' After we answered every question about Jaemi. Like her height, age, even her daily routines the police officers left us to our own thoughts.

''...eomma, can you believe those men said our Jaemi was found dead three months ago?'' Chansung breathed.

''How can you say something like that to me?! My Jaemi isn't dead!'' Mrs. Hwang collapsed to the floor in tears. 

''Aigoo! You idiot! This is all your fault!'' Mrs. Hwang smacked Chansung over the head. 

''Kaja hyung. Let's go get some fresh air.'' Him, and I needed to do some thinking. Why did they say Jaemi was dead three months ago? I didn't imagine looking into her eyes, and giving her a good night kiss after dinner the other day. I definitely didn't imagine seeing that smile of hers. So...could there be two Hwang Jaemis in this world?