Birthday Wishes

Stay Alive

''Jinyoung-ah come help me with the flowers.'' Mrs. Hwang called me into the living room.

''Eomeonim, I'm sure who ever she's with is treating her to a red vevlet cake today.'' The picture of Jaemi sat on a bouquet of flowers in the living room. It was her birthday. We didn't think she'd still be missing this long, and the possibility that she was no longer of this world stuck to the back of my mind. 

''That's her favorite cake...'' Chansung sat next to us with the cake he bought earlier. 

It read. ''Saengilchukahae Hwang Jaemi~ Come back soon!''

''Don't touch it!'' Eomeonim swatted Chansung's finger away from poking the frosting. ''We have to wait for the station to get here.''

  For her birthday we called a news station to come over, and do a segment about Jaemi's absence. As far as the police...they're certain that Jaemi is the girl they found dead a while ago. We explained to them that our Jaemi was with us long after that other girl was found so it was impossible for them to even think that.

''Excuse me'' I walked over to the bathroom to calm my self down before the cameras got there. Not having Jaemi with me for so long was making it hard for me to get through a day without crying. I pulled out my phone to listen to the message I had Chansung send to me. 

 ''Oppa, you told me to call so why didn't you answer? Anyways I got here okay, so I hope your audition is going-''

''Oh, are you Hwang Jaemi?'' She was interrupted by that same unfamiliar voice. 

''Oppa, he's here. When I buy the car Jinyoung, you and I can go for ice cream, nae? Annyeong.'' 

I could practically feel her smiling into the phone. With this message the police had some idea of where to start investigating, but they were really intent on solving the case of that dead girl. I wouldn't accept that. They needed to find her before it was too late...unless it already was

''No!'' I had to erase that worry from my mind. 

''Jinyoung?'' Chansung knocked on the door. ''They're here''

''Nae.'' I cleared my throat, and splashed my face to wipe away the tears. When I opened the door the living room was full of camera men, and one woman reporter holding a mic.

''At the household of the Hwangs today isn't a day of celebration for Hwang Jaemi's 20th birthday, but a day to morne. It's already been almost over a month since they've last seen this young girl.'' The cameras focused on her picture, and cake.

''Tell us about Jaemi.'' She turned the mic to me. Why me?! I really didn't want to talk. Chansung pushed me forward.

''Well...she was my girlfriend. It's been three years, and out of those years I've never been seperated from her for more than two days so...it's really hard for me.'' I had to take a seat on the couch before I started tearing up on television.

''Jaemi has always been one of my best friends, a good little sister, and a great daughter to our parents. If anyone watching this may know where she is or anything that can help please give us a call!'' Chansung held up Jaemi's picture. I didn't know how he was able to do that without getting choked up. ''And Jaemi if you're watching this please come home. We won't be mad if you ran away...we just want your safety. Thank you.'' Chansung put her photo down, and took a seat next to me.

''There you have it. If anyone has any information on the where abouts of this girl please call the number below. This has been channel 7 news goodnight everyone.''

 

                                                                           __________________________________________________

 

Seohyun stayed in the room with Minho. She didn't say anything to me, she didn't touch me. She just watched me. She watched me like I was some type of science experiment. Minho kept an eye on her, like she was bound to go running any minute. I didn't know her relationship with him, but I had a feeling she wasn't going to help me.

''Who are you?'' She finally said. ''Why are you here?''

''Seohyun! I already explained everything to you.'' Minho sighed irritated.

''But why is she like this? She been laying on the floor shaking ever since I got here. What did you do to her?'' 

''I...nothing...she's sick.''

He was right. I am sick. Disgusting even. I couldn't even feel comfortable in my own skin. Suddenly the door opened, and Onew came to sit right in front of me with a bowl of chicken soup.

''You have to eat Jaemi. Ahh?'' He held a spoon in my face. The smell of soup used to make me feel good, but now all it did was make my stomach turn. 

 

''Is the salt making you feel better?'' Taemin smiled.

''...Sure, I didn't know salt made people feel better.'' 

''Well, hyung said it was special so you would feel better.'' 

''No!'' I smacked the spoon out Onew's hand. I couldn't trust anything that was fed to me. Even if Onew was serving it.

''Thanks.'' He said to Minho. ''Now she won't even eat my food.'' 

''Then she won't eat so what?'' Sehyun scoffed.

''She'll die.'' Minho mumbled. ''I'm sorry Jaerim...''

''Please eat a little.'' Onew pushed another spoonfull toward me. 

''Go away...get out!!!'' I was turning into someone I wasn't. My anger came out randomly, and when it did I wanted to hurt someone. Anyone. I wanted to get rid of my pain, by bringing it onto someone else.

''Jaemi please eat this.'' Onew left the bowl in front of me, and walked out. As soon as the door closed behind him I regreted everything. I wanted to trust him, to smile again, to hold a conversation...but I couldn't.