Chapter 7 ~ The Second Riddle

The Beast Knight Rises

"Scars?" DuJun asks by phone as Hyuna jumps off the bus and heads towards her apartment complex. 
Against Junhyung's better judgement, he had to exit the bus earlier than her, though he offered to stay behind and ride with her the whole way. Out of embarassment of her living conditions, she practically threw him off the bus. Not that she really cared what Yong JunHyung thought...
"Yes, scars!" she pants as she goes up to her apartment. "Some people can have a lot but others not so many but everyone has them because they can be mental or physical scarring from something. It happens at least once in everyone's lives, no matter what their social class. It can begin at birth under the knife if it comes from a c section. Although, i still think that that pertains a little more to me personally." she touches the cut on her cheek as she locks up her apartment and gets ready for bed. 
"I guess that makes sense, but what does it mean?"
"Isnt it obvious? Scars. They left a scar on my cheek."
"The men from the garage."
"That's right. The same ones now have my number."
"How?"
"I'm not sure."
"Unless they already know you. And they're targetting you."
"Why? What would they want from me?"
"That's what we have to find out. Leave it to me though, Hyuna. Dont go snooping around on your own. For now just get some rest. You have work at the Seoul Headline tomorrow right? Go straight there and straight home. Call me before you go anywhere."
"Yeah yeah yeah i know. But i'm stopping by BAP's store tomorrow since i didn't see them today."
"I dont like that."
"Too bad. Goodnight, DuJun."
"Goodnight."
Hyuna hangs up and crawls under the covers of her bed, her mind spinning with the new information. The riddle had been solved. She knows that the men from the garage now have her phone number...what else do they have? They could have gotten her number when she dropped her phone. Easy enough. 
But...JunHyung had her phone. He picked it up for her. And...JunHyung knew the answer to the riddle. He knew about the calls before Hyuna told him, claiming that DuJun had told him. 
"Yong JunHyung?" Hyuna asks herself as she stares at the black ceiling above. 
If JunHyung hadn't been the one to tell her the answer to the riddle, she might have thought that he could be one of those men from the garage. But why would one of them give her the answer after all of that trouble? No, it couldn't be him. And it definately wasn't the BAP boys. It could be BigBang...but a bigger part of her truly hoped that it wasn't. Because she had left over feelings for JiYong? She didnt know. 

Hyuna's heart jumps almost out of her chest when Jazz and Slick unexpectadly leap onto her bed. She tries to calm herself down as she pets the purring cats. She closes her eyes and tries to forget about it all for awhile so she can try to get some sleep. She journies deeper into the darkness behind her eyelids as she tries to sleep without the reoccurring nightmares from the garage. 

The next morning, Hyuna hurries off to her job at the Seoul Headline. She spends most of the time running errands like usual, but this time she's given a few writing assignments to work on. Overall, the work day leaves her tired but it rid her mind of her troubles...momentarily.
After work, she walks down the street towards BAP's store. She crosses over the road to see that the neon Open sign is lit up in BAP's store. She smiles as she takes a picture of it as she walks in. 
A man carrying a skateboard and helmet heads for the door after she enters. She smiles as she sees Guk at the front cashier with HimChan smiling over his shoulder. DaeHyun and YoungJae work on restocking some selves on the side. 
"Hyuna!" Zelo calls from the steps as he comes up.
The others look to her and shout their greetings. Hyuna laughs and takes pictures of the happy workers.
"Havent seen you in a while!" Guk smiles.
"Guk, it's only been a couple days." Hyuna laughs.
"He missed you." HimChan smirks as he nudges Guk's shoulder before scurrying away.
Yong Guk lunges to catch him but decides to let him go.
"What have you been up to lately, noona?" JongUp asks as he joins Zelo's side. 
Hyuna sighs as the boys gather around. "You wouldnt even believe it."
The guys exchange glances before Zelo turns off the Open sign and locks the front door. 
Guk puts his arm around Hyuna's shoulders and walks her towards the lower level. "We'll close early today. Tell us all about it." he smiles warmly.

Downstairs, Hyuna tells them all about the strange calls and police reports as well as the riddle and answer. She even tells them about her worries about JunHyung's family and how she might even suspect JunHyung himself. Guk brings up BigBang again, and Hyuna agrees that they're still on the list. 
"What are you going to do about it?" Guk asks at the end of it.
Hyuna shrugs. "What can i do?"
"You're just going to sit around and wait?" Zelo raises an eyebrow.
Hyuna looks to him for a moment and then nods. "I've filed the report. I have no names. No faces. No information. This is all i can do."
"They should track your calls." HimChan suggests.
"Perhaps," she says, "But three calls and no threats isnt enough to have them track my calls."
"So then we just sit and wait." Guk confirms with aggravation, and Hyuna nods. "Well, then at least you can never be alone. Always have someone with you."
"Huh," she scoffs, "How? You all are busy. I have work. DuJun has work. IU has school. The Beast boys...i dont really know what they do all day but certainly they're busy. I'm fine how i am. I can take care of myself."
"I dont doubt that," Guk smiles, "But it still worries me."
Hyuna smiles and shrugs as she stands up. "It's actually getting past my curfew. DuJun would be upset if he knew i was out late and going home when it's dark. So i'm heading back now."
"We'll you!" Guk stands. 
"No no!" Hyuna ushers him back, "You guys shouldnt close shop so early. It seems like things are going really well for you now. I'm going to go home and write about the grand reopening of your store!"
The boys smile and congratulate eachother as Hyuna makes her way to the steps.

When she hears her ringtone go off, she pulls out her phone and glances at the screen; the sight of the blocked number on the screen makes her stop in her tracks. She blinks at the screen as it seems like she cant see or hear anything else besides the blocked sign and the annoying ring. She takes a breath and then opens the phone. She brings it to her ear silently.
"Some have many, others few, physical or mental, before life is through, but one, all share, in luxury or strife, that begins at birth, under the knife." the voice quietly says.
"Scars." she answers as she turns to face BAP, who are all watching her with curious eyes now.
She holds her hand over the phone and lips out "Its him." The BAP boys' eyes widen as they hurry to gather around her as she talks. 
The low chuckle builds through the phone. "That's correct." the voice says. "Does that answer your first question?"
"Why are you doing this?" Hyuna asks.
"Answer my questions!" the voice screams. "You ask and i answered! Now you answer mine! We will play this game by my rules, do you understand?" Hyuna closes her eyes as they yell at her. "From now on you wont speak unless i tell you to. This is a game. Both sides must play and play by the rules. Tell me you understand."
"I understand." she answers quietly.
"Good. Now, tell me...did the answer to my riddle help you to understand who i am?"
"The parking garage."
"Yessss, that's correct. We're on the same team here, Hyuna."
"How do you know what my name is?"
"...did i tell you to ask another question, you stupid, silly girl?"
"No."
"That's correct. Play by the rules."
Guk steps closer in order to try to listen in. "What do they want?" he whispers.
Hyuna shakes her head, not sure of what they want at all.
"Now something has changed in our game..." the voice continues on, "This is like a game of...hide and seek. I want to find you...but you also want to find me. You want to know who i am. What i'm doing. Why i am doing it. And it will all be answered. So choose your questions wisely. But i will tell you this...you do need to answer them all. There will be consequences."
"What happens if i dont?" Hyuna asks. 
"That wasnt an acceptable question. You're not good with rules, Hyuna. I'll give you a break this time. Something big is going to change, and you need to join our team. Only one team can win. There are no ties. You need to find us to join us."
"Us." Hyuna repeats.
"Yessss." the sickly voice echos in her ear. "Now...its my turn. You're hiding, and i want to find you. I will find you."
"How? When i dont even know where you are in order to hide?"
"That's the fun of it." he breathed a long breath. 
Hyuna waits a moment and listens, then asks, "What do you want?"
"People need me, but they always give me away. What am i?"
Hyuna spins around and pushes through the group of guys. She dumps her purse onto the floor and scrambles around for a pen. "Wait, wait!" She urges as she fumbles to get what she needs. "What was that? Repeat it!" 
The voice sighs in the phone, clearly aggravated. "People need me! but they always give me away! What am i??"
Hyuna writes it down quickly.
"Hurry Hyuna. The game is only starting." the line dies. 

Hyuna pants as she sits back and looks at the words scribbled onto the paper. She rereads them and tries to make sense of them. What do they mean? She cant solve riddles!
"What did they say?" Guk shouts as he kneels down to see what she wrote. "Another riddle? What's it mean? What did he say?"
"I dont know, okay!" Hyuna yells, "Give me a minute will you!" The guys gather around and look down. "He's trying to find me. But i have to be the one to solve the riddle...so he will find me...?"
"But...we dont want him to find you." DaeHyun says in confusion.
"He said i'd want to find him." she replies. 
"This doesnt make sense." YoungJae says.
Hyuna sighs. He's right about that. None of this makes sense. What were the consequences? Were there consequences if they couldnt even find her? Her pulse feels as if she can feel all the blood in her veins rushing around in a frenzy. She pants as she sits back. 
"I have to call DuJun." she says. "I'm going home, i'll call him on the way." she quickly gets up and makes her way upstairs. 
"You can just leave on your own!" Guk shouts as they rush up after her. "Let us come with you!"
"I'm just going home! Straight home, Guk, i pinky promise! They dont know where i am, remember?" she runs down the street towards the bus station.
She needs people; nothing can happen to her if she's in public. Then she can hide out in her bedroom. No one knows where she lives, she can be safe there. 
"Hyuna! You're not thinking clearly!" Yong Guk yells from down the street. "Let us come too!"
"No!" she shouts as she stops and turns towards them. "They cant know you're involved! I think thats why your store got ransacked. They knew you were involved with me. If you all come, it'll be too easy to find me! I'll call you when i get home."
 

Hyuna catches the bus before it leaves the station and hurries on board. She pulls out her phone and quickly calls DuJun but he wont answer. She calls multiple times, but he wont pick up. Yong Guk calling her every minute on the way doesnt help steady her nerves either. She jumps every time her phone rings, gathering attention from the other passangers. 
She sighs as she reaches DuJun's voice mail yet again, but this time she decides to leave a message. She speed talks, ignoring the glares from the other people. She tells him quickly that she's on her way home after being called again and given another riddle. She tells him when they called, how long they talked, and what they said. She tells him about the game metaphor and how they wanted to find her, meaning they didnt know where she was.
"Just...call me when you get this!" she hurries as she looks out the window. The bus is on a different route, since she jumped onto the first one at the station. It was taking her around Seoul instead of through it, making her trip twice as long, as the sun seems to be setting twice as fast. "The riddle said  'People need me, but always give me away. What am i?' I dont know what that means, DuJun." she sighs. "I just need your help. Call me back."

 She gets off at the bus stop closest to her house and then hurries up to her apartment, bursting through the door and causing Slick to get scared and jump out her window. She sighs, almost certain she's more scared than that silly cat is. She rolls her eyes as she locks up her door and throws her stuff across the room. She checks her calls. Nothing. Where's DuJun? She thinks about calling Yong Guk and asking him about the  riddle. Maybe having him around wouldnt be so bad...

She flips her phone open and scrolls down to his number as she heads for the kitchen. She reaches forward to shut the window. Slick can sleep outside for a night, she'd feel better with everything locked up. She stops when she hears a terrible shriek come from the alleyway below. A cry, loud and high pitched breaks through the silence of the night. She holds the phone open but leans out to look out the window. From below, she can hear the terrible cries of Slick...and the laughter of boys. 
"Yah!" she screams down at them. "Leave that cat alone!" she scolds. 
The boys below grow quiet for a moment, but then the jeers pick up again and she hears the sound of something crash into the trash cans, followed by the wail of a cat in distress. 
Hyuna turns and runs from her apartment, slamming the door behind her and jumping down the steps two at a time until she reaches the bottom. She yanks the door to the alley open and stomps outside to confront the tormentors. 
"Didnt you hear me?" she growls as she nears a small group of boys at the front of the alley; only they're not the young boys she was expecting...they're older. Taller. Bigger. She shakes her head and tries to seem just as confident as she steps closer. "Leave my cat alone."
"Your cat?" a familiar voice asks as a figure steps out from between the other three. 
"JiYong-ah?" Hyuna shields the light from the lamp post out front in order to see better. "JiYong! What are you doing here?"
"Hm...just scouting some realty i guess you could say." he smiles as he slowly walks closer...one foot in front of the other. 
His three friends smile as they follow his lead, forming a type of barackade. She recognizes one with a mohawk right away, and then the shorter one with short dark hair, and the other with small eyes and a little longer hair. Four. Not five as she had once seen them...four. Where was the fifth? The tall one with the deep voice that had pulled JiYong away the first time. 
Slick runs out from behind a trash can with coke cans tied onto his tail, making a loud ruckus as he panics. Hyuna bends down and scoops him up in her arms. She quickly unravels the cans from around his tail and holds him close to her. The cat's pupils are fully dialated...making them look all black. 
"You torturing my cat?" Hyuna asks as she forces a smile to keep the coversation easy.
"Didnt know you liked cats." JiYong answers as he walks forward, his eyes going between her and Slick. 
"Yeah, well, they kinda grew on me i suppose."
"Mhm. So you uh...live around here?" JiYong looks up the fire escape to the cracked window three floors up. Her window.
"Uh...yup. Momentarily you could say."
"Is that so?" he looks back down to her and smirks.
The group encrouch on Hyuna, pushing her deeper into the alley and further away from the light of the lamp. 
"JiYong-ah..." Hyuna says quietly, her voice betraying her fear. 
"No." he says as he turns his head to the side slightly, "GDragon."
Hyuna backs away until her back is almost up against the brick wall behind her. The sudden noise of her ringtone causes all the boys to stop in their tracks. She fumbles to pull the phone out and still hold on to Slick. She sees that the caller is DuJun, and she quickly flips it open and brings it up to her ear when the boys take another step closer. 
"Yes, DuJun-ah!" Hyuna announces as she answers, causing all the boys to stop again and look around uncertainly.
"Listen, Hyuna, i have news." DuJun pants.
"I do too! Did you get my messages?"
"What messages? Oh, no i didnt listen to them yet, but i have news, Hyuna, you need to listen to me."
GDragon and his group walk forward confidently now. Intently. 
Hyuna gasps. "DuJun..." her voice croaks. 
"That hair sample, Hyuna," he continues, "It came back from the lab." by now GDragon stands with his toes up against Hyuna's and his eyes staring down into hers; he leans forward so he can just make out DuJun's voice. "The DNA test worked, Hyuna. The test results are in. That hair from your phone after the parking garage incident...it's JiYong's."
Hyuna's eyes widen as GDragon smiles and brings his hand up and onto her own that holds the phone to her ear. drops as he brings her hand away.
"Hyuna? Did you hear me?" she can hear DuJun still talking as GDragon takes the phone and snaps it shut. 
"I guess you could say, the cat's out of the bag." GDragon smirks and looks down to Slick.
The cat hisses and then leaps from Hyuna's arms and bolts out of the alley. Hyuna quickly tries to make a run for it, but GDragon's arm stops her and throws her up against the wall. She gasps as he puts both hands up against the wall to block off any exits.
"It was you!" she pants as she stares at him. "I...i didn't want to believe it..."
GD smiles and nods. "Oh, i'm sure."
"You...you came after me and CL in the garage. You took my phone. You've been calling me. ...Why?"
"Yes it was me in the garage, but no i didn't take your phone. Yes i have been calling you. And why...well you're not exactly ready to know about that just yet. I must admit Hyuna, i have all these plans but as soon as i see you..." he looks her up and down, "i seem to lose control and cant think straight anymore. I think it may be better to work over the phone for a while. I'll be going into hiding, obviously. But then again...you dont have any evidence...or witnesses." he smirks. 
"Stop this." Hyuna squeaks.
He shakes his head. "Nope, i can't. It's come too far."
"Youre not a bad person, JiYong. You can stop now."
"It's GDragon. And no, i cant." he grinds his teeth as he stares into her eyes. 
He looks angry for a moment, and then his expression softens. He brings one hand away from the wall and brushes his fingers along her cheek. She turns her head to the side as his face nears her own. She can feel his warm breath on her skin. She can smell him. Her heart is pounding and she's certain he can hear it. In fact, he smirks and looks down a bit as his nose brushes along her cheek. Then he looks back up and presses closer. His hand reaches down and takes a hold of her wrist and pins it against the wall. His other hand snakes down her arm lightly to do the same to the other as his lips lightly touch her cheek. That's when Hyuna pulls her other hand up and pushes GDragon's face back against the wall as she squeezes out the side. She hears him grunt with the force as she tries to run for the lamp post on the sidewalk. 
The man with the mohawk jumps in front of her path, but she's quick to deliver a solid punch to his nose, causing him to stumble backward as he grabs his nose to keep the blood from running down. The small one with the smaller eyes comes next, but he slides low, throwing his leg out in front of her and making her trip. She falls to the ground, throwing her hands out to catch her fall. The third jumps onto her back next, trying to pull her arms behind her and make her stand upright. 
"Help!" Hyuna shrieks in hopes of a passer by, "Help me! Someone! Please!" she cries as she's dragged back down the alley.
She kicks at the hands that try to make her stand. 
"Help!" she yells out as tears trickle down her face and she claws the cement for some type of grip. 

The screeching sound of a car echos through the alley, and the darkness is thrown back as headlights light up the walls. Hyuna looks up to see some sort of black car stopped outside the alley...facing the alley. 
"Help!" she yells to the stranger. "Help me!"
The car rumbles as the engine runs, but the windows are too dark to see anyone inside. Why wont someone come out and help her?
"There! Up there! What is that?" one of the men shrieks as he drops one of Hyuna's legs and points to the top of the fire escape. 
A black figure sits perched on top of the fire escape, looking down. He wears all black...and has pointed ears. In that moment, Hyuna actually smiles. She looks back and twists onto her back as she kicks one of the men in the stomach, sending them away and clutching their ribs. The black figure above then leaps down...no, glides down. It spreads out some sort of wings and almost seems to parachute down into the alley. With a great *whoomp* he lands on top of another boy. Hyuna feels herself freed and quickly tries to crawl away. She looks to the side to see her cell phone laying by a trash can. The screen lights up with an incoming call. She grabs at it, but someone's foot crushes her hand to the ground.
She screams in pain as she looks up to see GDragon snarling down at her. Her eyes are filled with terror as she stares into his. He's so different. GDragon scoffs at her, and then he brings his fist across her face in one smoothe blow, smashing her head into the hard cement ground. She blinks as darkness crowds her vision and she feels her body go limp. She glances up to catch glimpses of the batman leap onto GDragon...but then everything goes dark.

~

When Hyuna comes to, she's moving. She's being jostled around. She looks up to see stars. She looks to the side to see a window, and down to see that shes high up on a fire escape. She looks to the other side, and her nose brushes against the padded chest of her carrier. She turns her head up to look at their face, but she can only see their chin. 
"Batman." she mumbles. 
The figure looks down to her, and she can just make out the top of his mask, and those clear brown eyes. Then the black blotches cloud her vision again. 
The batman walks her down a hall and stops outside a door. He pulls out something from off his belt and fumbles with a lock and then swings a door open. Hyuna watches as the familiar walls and pictures pass by her line of sight. The man walks into DuJun's living room and places her down carefully on the couch. 
"Uhhh," she mumbles as she brings her hand to her throbbing head. 
The batman takes her hand and slips her cellphone into it, and then lays it gently on her stomach. He stands behind the armrest of the couch, looking over top of Hyuna. He arranges her into a comfortable possition, leaning over her in order to do so. She turns her head up and her nose brushes against his padded neck. She blinks as she tries to take in the scene. 
Batman starts to pull back, but Hyuna's hand shoots up and grabs a hold of the back of his head, keeping his face level with hers besides being upside down.
"I knew you were good." Hyuna says quietly as she looks into his eyes. 
His eyes are so gentle. So caring and soft. They blink once and she pulls on the back of his head, making him move closer. She pulls him over her and brings her lips to his, carefully. At first, her lips just brush against his...being upside down it was hard to place them. But then she presses hers against his. She tightenes hers and then smiles a bit when she feels his tighten as well. But then he pulles away, causing a small smacking sound to break loose from their lips being parted. 
Feeling weak, Hyuna drops her hand from behind his head and her face turns to the side. Batman stands behind her and looks down at the bandade still across her cheek. He reaches forward with a careful hand, and tenderly touches the bandaide.
"Mmmm," Hyuna moans as her eyes squeeze shut. 

The sound of the apartment door opening comes quick, followed by DuJun's call. "Hyuna, are you here?"
The batman quickly turns and throws open the window to the family room. He crouches down and looks below. It's not a long fall. He glances back to hear DuJun coming toward the family room, IU right behind him. Batman turns again and jumps out the window. 

 

 

~WORKS CITED~
Riddle
: http://dan.hersam.com/riddles.html 

 

 


[is this chapter better? let me know, okay! :D comment/share/subscribe!]