Chapter 6 ~ Let the Games Begin

The Beast Knight Rises

Back at home that night, Hyuna makes herself a warm bowl of ramen noodles and sits on her bed to watch some television. She flicks through the channels absentmindedly when Slick jumps in through her window. He lands lightly on his feet and then looks up to her with his wide eyes. She smiles as she looks down to her little friend.
"Hey there, neighbor." she jokes as she pats the bed.
The cat meows and then hops up to lay by her on the bed. She his soft, black fur as she returns to the television. After a moment, Jazz sneaks in through the open window as well and makes her way over to the bed while purring. 
"It's been a while hasn't it?" Hyuna talks to the cats as she pets Jasmine's back. 
Both cats curl up by her side and she can't help but feel the warmth and love that seems to radiate from their bodies into hers. 

Suddenly, her cell phone lights up and screams out her ringtone.
"Must be DuJun," she says to herself as she reaches for the phone, remembering that she forgot to call him when she got home. 
She looks at the screen to see that the caller isn't DuJun...or CL or IU or Guk...it's a blocked number. 
"How strange!" she mumbles to herself as she flips it open and brings it up to her ear. "Hello?"
The other line is quiet...
"Hello?" she tries again. "Is someone there? Hello?"
Silence. 
She brings the phone back and looks at it. The call is still going through...so someone is on the line... but they're not talking. She shakes her head and shuts the phone. She places it back by her bowl of ramen and returns to the television. 


She stops on a news channel about a protest going on outside of a big black building in the middle of Seoul. She recognizes the name Yong. 
"JunHyung's family?" she wonders as she watches.
"The Yong's political building continues to attract much attention from the people of Seoul as the rumors of foul play from President Yong gain strength." the news caster announces,  "President Yong and his wife are currently abroad attending to their own business matters, however, the citizens of Seoul continue to bombard the building. These rumors of cheating in the polls of course came up from an anonymous group in Seoul which continue to leave their mark around the city. In recent reports, this same group may have been linked to a few vandalism scenes including dismanteling political figures' cars, destroying a local business, and even recently possibly into robbery. Though these instances are all in themselves very different, they contain enough similar information to be assumed to come from the same street gang. Obviously, someone out there wants attention for whatever reason, mainly focusing on different economic and political figures. The Yong family must be going through a difficult time with all of this hate, but the news will continue to investigate and get the truth out soon enough..."


Hyuna's attention is drawn away from the news as her phone chirps again. She glances down to see the blocked number appear on the screen again.  She sighs as she flips it open again.
"Yes? Hello?" she speaks quickly, already aggravated by the prank calls as she keeps her attention on the television. 
Static fills the reciever and she pulls it back as the noise hurts her ears. After it seems to calm down a bit she brings it back.
"Who is this? What do you want?" she asks with annoyance as her heart picks up pace.
"...You..." a low voice answers.
Hyuna's eyes widen as she sits up and listens. She can hear whoever it is breathing on the other end. Slow, shallow breaths. 
"Who is this?" she asks again, quieter now.
The person exhales into the phone, making it feel as if they're breathing into her ear. "You dont know?" the voice asks in a hushed tone.
"No, of course not." she replies, "How could i know?"
"...You will know..."
Hyuna blinks. "How did you get my number?"
Silence.
"Who are you?"
"...How about i ask a question." the man replies with more emotion. "Do you want to play a game?"
"Games?" Hyuna looks around the apartment, suddenly feeling very alone. Both cats stare up at her with their clear eyes. 
She listens as the phone starts to make a shuffling sound, as if being passed to soemone else. 
"Riddlessss..." the man says again, but now his voice is different; a little higher. "You want to know who i am? Answer the riddleeee.."
"I...i dont think... stop these pranks!" Hyuna starts to breathe faster. 
"Here's the riddle."
"I'm not playing around with children."
"We're not playing eitherrrr."
"We?"
The other line is quiet except for the sound of the breathing. Then the voice returns, "Here's the riddle."
Hyuna looks around the apartment. She jumps up, spilling the ramen on the floor as she rushes to the kitchen to grab a pad of paper and pen. She clicks one and scribbles on the pad as the voice starts.
"Some have many, Others few, Physical or mental, before life is through, But one, all share, In luxury or strife, That begins at birth, Under the knife."
Hyuna waits a beat, thinking there must be more, but the other line is quiet again besides the shallow breathing. Then the shuffling noise occurs again. 
"What does that mean?" Hyuna asks as she looks at the scribbled words. 
"It's me..." the voice answers, different yet again with a stranger tone. 
"Who?"
"The riddle!!!" he shouts into the phone, hurting Hyuna's ears and making her flinch. 
Hyuna takes a moment to catch her breath, scared to say anything more. Then a low chuckle comes through the line. 
"Let the games begin...." and then the line cuts off. 
Hyuna pulls the phone down and looks at the screen. Five minutes...only five minutes passed on that call yet she feels like she's in a panic. She tries to steady her heavy breathing as she places her hand on her chest and looks down to her cats; both sit at the foot of the bed, the spilled ramen and staring at her with their large, focused eyes. 
What can she do? Who can she call? Where can she go?
Nothing. She could call DuJun... but she can't leave since it's too late. 

She does call DuJun. She calls him in a panic, which forces him to become serious as he hears her out. She tells him about the calls and then reads the riddle off to him.
"Did they make any threats?" he asks.
"No! They didn't say anything. They just said i'd know them by the riddle."
"It could just be a prank call. Dont go anywhere and keep it all locked. Do you want me to come get you?"
"No, no i have work in the morning. I'm fine, and like you said, there were no threats...it just kind of scared me you know."
"Yeah that's understandable. Let me know if they call you again. Keep paper and a pen nearby and write it down whenever they do. Record what they say, when they called, and how long they talked for."
"Alright, i can do that." Hyuna sighs as she closes her eyes and brings her hand through her hair.
"You gonna be all right?" DuJun asks.
"Yeah." Hyuna lies, feeling as if someone is watching her. "I'm just going to go to bed."
"Come to my place tomorrow after work and we'll talk it over."
"Alright."
"Did you tell anyone else about this?"
"No one."
"Keep it that way. Don't even tell the BAP boys."
"Why not?" Hyuna asks.
"Gotta keep the subject list open."
"It's not the BAP boys!"
"Whatever. Get some rest and i'll see you tomorrow."
"Fine."

~

After her shift at the restaurant the next day, Hyuna hurries over to DuJun's house for dinner and to talk about the calls, which havent occurred since the night before...luckily. She desperately wanted to see her BAP friends and CL...but she knew that if she wanted to figure out what was going on then she couldnt tell anyone about the calls...not yet at least.
She wrote out the poem and highlighted and underlined the words that may be important or that she thought pertained to her. 

"Some have many, others few, physical or mental, before life is through, but one, all share, in luxury or strife, that begins at birth, under the knife."
She tried to wrap her mind behind the meaning but none seemed to point to anyone she actually knew. Her real questions were: Why? Why me? What do they want? None of which she could answer. She desperately needed her brother's help. 

 

DuJun told her to meet him at the police station to file a real report this time. 
She walks through the double doors and into the busy station. Other men and woman in uniform stare at her as she enters. She looks down to her apparel; short jean shorts and an oversized, loose pink shirt with the neck whole hanging off one shoulder and the sleeves reaching down to just above her elbow. Flip flops. Hair tied up into a messy bun that hung on the back of her neck. 

She sighs and walks up to the front counter where an older police chief sits and searches through other files. He's an older man, early fourties with dark stubble around his chin and dark eyes. A serious expression, not the type of man someone would want to mess around with.
Hyuna stands in front of his desk for a moment and waits, but he doesn't seem to take notice of her. She glances around at the other officers, who apparantally have taken notice. She stands on her tippy toes in order to better see over his desk. Finally she resorts to clearing her thoat, making the man look up to her.
"Can i help you?" he asks in an annoyed tone. 
"Yes, i'm actually here to file a report."
The man looks back down to his files and nods. "I see. And what type of report would you like to file?"
"Actually, can i talk to officer DuJun? Could you tell him that his sister is here, please?"
The man looks back up at her and closes his papers. "Ah yes he told us you would be coming by. Threatening phone calls is it?"
"Something like that."
The man nods as he comes down from behind the desk. "I see. I'll go get him then. You can uh...have a seat over there." he holds his hand out to a bench along the side wall. An elderly woman sits at the end with her purse on her lap. She stares across the room towards a set of benches on the opposite side, where a younger man sits...handcuffed to the bench. 
"Er...right." Hyuna mumbles as she goes to sit by the older lady. 
She greets and takes a seat to wait as the chief dissappears into the back room, where a lot of clammer and talking comes through the open door. 
Hyuna kicks her feet absentmindedly as she waits. She looks up to the man sitting across the room; he's staring at her. When she meets his eyes, he smiles and then winks. Hyuna's eyes widen as she sits up and glances around the police station. She notices a familiar man looking out from the back room window. He's tall with dark hair, clean cut and in uniform. He looks her way and then around the room. He comes out the door and confidently walks towards her.
"Kim Hyuna?" he asks with a very unique, deep toned voice.
"Yes?" she answers as she looks into his smoky eyes. He seems so familiar...in every way. 
"You can follow me and we'll start that report."
"Oh, great!" Hyuna jumps off the bench and hurries behind the tall, muscular officer towards the back. 
He leads her into the back rooms where multiple desks are scattered about with different officers. There's even a few small jail cells along the far wall, where a drunkard sleeps on the floor without a shirt. 
The officer leads her into a small room at the back of the room with a large glass wall and a table with two chairs.
"This looks like an interrigation room..." Hyuna mumbles as she takes a seat.
She looks up to the officer standing in front of the desk. She looks to his badge to see the name "TOP," but he then holds a file up so that it blocks her view. He chuckles and looks to her with a smile. "Dont think of it that way. I'm not interrigating you, i just want to know what happened..."
"Sounds a lot like interrigation to me..."
He laughs and shrugs his shoulders as he sits down and pulls out a file. "So, why don't you tell me what happened."
"Um, when will my brother be here? He knows more ... stuff..." Hyuna looks up to the officer uneasily.
He returns her stare with gentle eyes and a small smile. He blinks once, slowly. "I'm just starting it for him. He knows more? What else is there? Other incidents?"
"Sort of. I just thought...i thought that maybe it could be tied to a possible uh...mugging that almost occurred to me...like days ago."
"Was it reported?"
"I think so."
He nods. "Alright we can deal with that later. Tell me about the calls first."
"I guess there were three total but i only answered two. One they didnt talk so i hung up. The second they-"
"They? They who?"
"I'm not exactly sure."
"More than one?"
"I'm pretty sure."
"What makes you think so?"
"Well their voices changed...and they mentioned 'we.'"
He nods as he writes it all down. "Continue."
"Right, well like i was saying, they didnt say much. Just that if i wanted to know who they were that i should answer a riddle."
"Interesting. What riddle?"
Hyuna told him and he asked if she was sure that was it, in which she assured him she was since she wrote it down. He asked if she thought it meant anything. 
"Well some words stood out to me more than others. I came up with a few theories of my own." she smiles sheepishly. 
He smiles sweetly back and leans forward. "I would like to hear your theories. They could be helpful." He seems so...genuine. 
Hyuna smiles back and actually feels her cheeks blush a bit. "Well, the first part: some have many, others few. That makes me think that everyone has them. Which ties in later when it says: but one, all share. But then physical and mental...what could that be? Something that applies to both...but what? Before life is through, that means that everyone gets it eventually somehow. Whatever it is. Luxury or strife, something that knows no social classes. But then...begins at birth...under the knife. I dont get that. Something natural? But a knife isnt natural. And knife just stands out because of that incident i mentioned...a knife was involved."
The officer nods as he stares at her. His eyes shift to the bandaide on her cheek. "I see." he leans back and gathers his papers. "It seems to me like you're coming along pretty well on your own so far. I'll go get DuJun in here." he pushes back and stands up quickly.
"Oh, alright." Hyuna mumbles as he heads to the door.
He opens it and turns back to give her one last smile. Then he closes it softly behind him and dissappears into the crowded room. 

DuJun hurries past the window, and Hyuna sits up as he quickly comes inside.
"There you are! Who brought you in here?"
"Um...i dont really remember..."
He shakes his head as he sits down across from her. "Whatever. Anyways, tell me what happened."
"Again?" she asks.
"Again?"
"Well, i just told that other guy." she points out the door, but she can't see him anywhere.
DuJun looks behind him and then back to her. "Well, i dont know who asked you questions...but i'll find out later. Just tell me everything."
And so she did. She went through it all and made sure to tell more details this time. DuJun recorded it all and then sat back to look at his notes. 
"I think you're right about the knife, that just seems too ironic. I'm not exactly sure about the rest of it though."
Hyuna nods. DuJun sighs and then gathers his papers. "Well i'll file the report but we can't really do anything. There's no evidence that it's BigBang or anything. It could just be a joke. Maybe BAP or something..."
"BAP? It's not them okay, they're too busy with their store to even joke around...trust me. And BigBang? I dont know."
"GDragon has your number." DuJun leans forward and looks her in the eyes.
"JiYong. And true. But i dont think he'd go so low as to frighten me like this."
DuJun shakes his head. "Whatever. They're all suspects, okay?"
"Fine." Hyuna crosses her arms and looks away.
DuJun sighs and gets up. "Come on, let's get out of here."
Hyuna follows him through the office, looking around at all the others in search of the first officer. What was on his name tag? TOT? TOY? But she cant find him. 

DuJun leads her to the front room that she entered from. The chief is back at his desk, the old lady and handcuffed man are gone, but someone stands in front of the chief's desk. Yong JunHyung. 
"JunHyung!" DuJun exclaims, showing his surprise as much as Hyuna's. 
"There you are," JunHyung exhales.
"What's going on? Why are you here again?"
Again? Hyuna thinks to herself as they walk over to him. 
"You know. The usual. Vandalism of our building by protesters and all that." he shrugs. 
DuJun's eyebrows come together with sadness. "Sorry, man."
"It's alright." JunHyung looks to Hyuna, "What can someone like me do to stop them anyways?"
"Just leave it to us." DuJun says.
JunHyung nods and then looks back to Hyuna. "You guys leaving soon?"
"Oh that's right," DuJun turns to Hyuna too, "Turns out i have to work late tonight. I have to get your report filed and then Junhyung's and a few others. Whoever this street gang is...they're causing a lot of trouble."
Hyuna nods. "I'll just head home, then."
"I'll walk you out." JunHyung offers.
DuJun nods and then goes back to his work. Hyuna looks to JunHyung with a stoic expression. Why is he always around lately? She sighs and pushes around him for the exit.


"Where are you going?" he calls as he follows after her, his hands in his pockets.
"Werent you listening? Home."
He nods. "Taking the bus?"
"Yup."
"I'll take it with you."
"Dont you have a motor bike? or ten?"
JunHyung waits a moment before replying, "I took the bus today. Trying out how it feels."
"How what feels? Public transportation?"
"Yup."
They're both quiet as they wait for the bus. After a moment, JunHyung turns to her and stares. Hyuna shifts uneasily on her feet before forcing herself to return his gaze.
"What?"
"What were you doing at the police station anyways?" he his head to the side.
Hyuna searches for the bus. "Filing a report."
"About?"
She looks back to him. "DuJun said i can't tell anyone."
"Huh," Junhyung laughs and looks away, "He already told me about your little phone calls. If that's what it's about."
She looks to him with wide eyes. "He said not to tell anyone..." she mumbles.
"He told me because i asked. I was on my way to the station with my own report and he said you were there. So...what were the calls?"
Hyuna waits a moment, thinking about whether or not she can tell him. She believes him that DuJun would say it's okay. She sighs. "Fine, i'll only say it once because i'm sick of repeating it so listen closely."
JunHyung smirks as he walks over to the bench and plops down. He leans forward and rests his arms on his knees as he looks into her eyes intently.
"I'm all yours." he smirks.
And so Hyuna tells him all about it. The calls, the riddle, the voices. He sits there and listens, occasionally changing his expression along with her story. Shock, disgust, and worry all go across his face as she goes on. 
"Are you serious?" he asks.
"Yeah." she nods and sits next to him. 
"I can't believe that..." he mumbles to himself as he looks away.
"What?" she looks to him. 
"It's just...a reference to a game was made tonight at one of our buildings. 'Let the games begin.' Same thing they said to you."
"You think they're related?" she asks with wide eyes.
"Possibly. But...the suspects for the vandilism and threats against my parents are BigBang."
Hyuna sits back. "I dont think so."
"Why's that? Why don't you think it could be them?"
Hyuna shrugs as she looks to the oncoming bus. They get on and she takes a seat in the back, and JunHyung sits close to her. She looks towards the window in silence. Junhyung glances her way, and sees the bandaide in the reflection of the glass. Suddenly his eyes widen and he gasps. Hyuna turns towards him, and his hand grabs onto her chin, forcing her to look to the side so he can see her cut. 
"What are you doing?" she asked in a hushed tone as she pulls his hand away from her. 
"I...i think i know the answer to your riddle..." he says as he stares at her face.
"You do?" she turns so she can look at him head on. "What is it?"
He stares into her eyes, his own filled with the look of fear, realization and worry. "I think... i think the answer is... scars." he reaches forward and touches her bandaide. 
She turns forward and thinks about it. "Scars?"


 

 

~WORKS CITED~
Riddle
: http://www.braingle.com/wii/brainteasers/teaser.php?id=46275

 

 

[sorry it took so long to publish and that this chapter was boringggg. i've been on vaca. :) but im back and have a week off work so i have good plans for the next chapter. Hello to new subscribers! XD please continue to comment/share/subscribe so i have reason to continue to update soon. it makes it all worth it for me since im so shy about writing. 
by the way, if you have a twitter, be sure to follow! @PuppyLo3e :) im also on tumblr by the same name. thanks! will update soon!]