Chapter 4 ~ Batman Begins

The Beast Knight Rises

Hyuna had been the first to report the story and therefore, her first article would appear the next day in the paper. Seoul Headline had paid her well for her addition to the paper and she recieved many compliments on it as well. It seems that she would fit in with them all there after all. Sanna was even more surprised and happy with HyunA's contribution, saying that the girl had potential in their field. On her first successful story, the President of Seoul Headline awarded her with an access pass, complete with her picture and the Seoul Headline logo, allowing her to research pretty much wherever and whenever she wanted. All she had to do was flash the pass to people and see where it could get her; still, it all felt pretty official to her. 

Now Hyuna was racing back on her wobbly bike to help with the clean up at Guk's place. She had called DuJun on her way to HQ and told him about it. He had been called on to go to the store  and left IU with Hyuna's friend, CL.
Hyuna rides down the street and hops off the bike while still in motion. Now there are cop cars with their lights twirling through the evening sky parked out front the store, and yellow caution tape has been set up all around the perimitter to keep the onlookers from entering, and there is quite the crowd now. People have gathered around the scene; parents, children, bums, officials, everyone wants to see the act of violence probably brought on by another street gang.
"I hear something like this happened on the North side the other day," a man with glasses tells another man with a black hat, "These types of things are happening too often these days."
"You're telling me," the other man replies, "This is going to trash Seoul's good reputation for sure. The crime these days is unbelievable. And all because of these kids."
"Back in my day, we played with sticks and balls for fun, and then went off to work. Not vandalism."
The two continue their conversation as Hyuna shrugs past and goes up to the caution tape. She goes to slide underneath when a cop puts his hands up to stop her.
"Hey there, little missy, no passing the tape." he instructs, and then to the rest of the crowd, "This is a restricted access point. No civilians are to enter. Please stand back from the tape!"
A few people back up but everyone continues to stand around and watch and gossip. 
"Excuse me sir, i'm with the paper," Hyuna tries to flash her new access pass.
The cop looks at it for a moment and raises an eyebrow, then he shakes his head. "Doesn't matter, no press beyond this limit either."
HyunA grunts and looks past him towards the store. She spots DuJun coming out of the front, dressed in his cop uniform, flashlight in hand. 
"Yoon DuJun!" Hyuna calls and waves her arms, "That's my brother! I'm here to report on the accident! Uh...i own part of the store!" The cop looks at HyunA in annoyance with all her claims. "DuJun-ah! Yah!"
DuJun looks over and spots her in the crowd. She dramatically waves him over. 
"What's going on?" he asks.
"DuJun tell him to let me pass! I'm here to report on it! Here, look." she slips him her access pass.
He examines it for a moment and then hands it back as he looks over at the store, "The investigation is done anyways..."
"Do you know this girl?" the other cop asks him.
"Yeah she's my sister. Works with Seoul Headline and friend of the owner of the store."
"DuJun let me in! I told Guk i would help with the cleanup. I was here before anyone else." Hyuna gives him her serious expression and he sighs as he places his hand on the other cop's shoulder.
"Let her pass."
Hyuna smirks as she hurries under the tape and then quickens pace to catch up with DuJun. She pulls out her paper and pen.
"What did they say? Do they know who did it? Did you tell them about how i suspected BigBang? Are they going to look in to it?"
"Yeah yeah yeah, we did all that. No they didn't find anything, not even finger prints. Nothing was reportedly stolen so it's just considered an act of violence...vandalism. Probably just one street gang attacking another."
"BAP is not a street gang." Hyuna looks up from her pad of paper.
DuJun shrugs. "Point is there's not enough evidence to convict BigBang. This isn't the first crime like this...and i dont think it will be the last. A lot of people think it's them...and possibly others are involved."
Hyuna follows him to his cop car as he rummages for something in the front seat. She looks up and around when she notices Yong JunHyung standing off to the side, talking to a pair of cops. His arms are folded across his chest, and he speaks with a serious expression. 
"Why is he here?" she mumbles to herself.
DuJun looks up and follows her eyes. "Who? JunHyung? He's here because a very similar act happened at the building that his parents work at. You know his parents work with the government, focused here in Seoul. They found some similar spray painted patterns at their building about a week back and the feds think it could related. To be honest...the whole city is talking about a possible uprising. Like some sort of underground type of...thing. Rumors and all that. The city's turning to turmoil, scared out of their minds in anticipation to what could possibly happen next. Who knows...these random acts of vandalism could lead to violence." he shakes his head. 
HyunA stares off at JunHyung with wide eyes and a busy mind. His parents work with the government, very big players to the public. They were keys to Seoul itself, and he was their prodegy. There was a lot that some disgruntled gangs could get from people in such a high possition. 
"DuJun," a deep voice comes from behind Hyuna, "What did you get in the lower level?"
Hyuna turns to see a very tall man in cop uniform. His face is nicely chissled and his eyes are stern; his hair black. He looks and sound familiar...but Hyuna doesn't know where she could have seen him before. 
"Nothing," DuJun replies as he exits the cop car, and the other officer's eyes move down to see HyunA. "Oh this my nosy sister. She works with Seoul Headline. She's friends with the owner of the store and was able to get here first. Hyuna, this is TOP; he works at the station with me."
"Nice to meet you." HyunA gives her head a slight bow, and TOP nods in response. The way he looks into HyunA's eyes...it's almost as if he knows her as well. "Have we me-"
"Are there any possible suspects?" TOP asks DuJun as they walk back towards the store and Hyuna hurries behind to listen in.
"Not really. We're just trying to see if we can link this with any of the ones in the past. It looks similar to what happened at the government building last week. The son of the Yong's is here to help out."
"Oh really? Where at?" TOP looks around the crowd.
DuJun points over his shoulder to JunHyung, and Hyuna's eyes follow. "Over there. Says he'll help out as much as possible...but i don't see how he can really be of much aid at this point."
"That guy? Ha, isn't his father the one with the reputation being trashed?" 
Hyuna quickly turns back to TOP and DuJun, this being new news to her.
"Hey man easy, he's a good friend of mine. I don't know whats going on with his parents or companies or politics and legal crap like that. I know he's a good guy, and so are his parents."
"Huh, whatever you say."
TOP stares off in JunHyung's direction and almost seems to glare. He looks at JunHyung strangely too...maybe this guy is just the suspicious type. 
Suddenly DuJun stops and Hyuna runs into his back.
"What are you doing? Go find Guk or whatever and get your story. The investigation here is done." DuJun says, and then turns to the group of cops, "Alright everyone, pack up. There's nothing more we can do here."
Everyone sets into motion as they work to cleanup all their epuipment. Even the crowd of onlookers start to disperse. Hyuna watches TOP as he walks around almost aimlessly, not really doing anything. Something about him...Hyuna doesn't really like. She shakes her head and then goes back into the store to find the BAP boys and start the long process of the cleanup. 

~

After a few days, the store doesn't look horrible. The spray paint was too hard to wash off, so they just decided to repaint it alltogether in hopes of actually making the place look better than before. Of course the insurance company chipped in to help replace broken glass and certain electronics, but overall, they werent much help. The store itself would take longer to get up and running again, but Guk and BAP were putting all their time and effort into getting it back into shape. 

Hyuna's story published and to celebrate, CL decided she would come take Hyuna out. CL was Hyuna's oldest childhood friends. CL's parents and Hyuna's parents had been good friends, so the two had practically grown up together. Now with Hyuna's father basically shut up in his own home, it was CL's father who visited him often and helped to take care of him; Hyuna, IU, and DuJun would have nothing to do with the drunken remains of their father. 
CL is a pretty girl with unique features. She has big eyes that had a tad bit of a cross-eyed look but are still pretty and interesting. She has a great complextion and nice, long hair, which she dyes often. This time, it's a nice blonde. 

"I can't believe you have another job!" she exclaims as she drives her expensive car towards the center of Seoul to all the nice shops and clubs, "At least this one is truly worth having. And you already seem to have a knack at it!"
Hyuna smiles with her friends words. "Yeah, it's really great. It's too bad about Guk's store and all though..."
CL nods. "Right, that's a shame. He's seemed really distraught lately."
"I think he's worried it might happen again. You know...crime is really up in Seoul lately."
"So i've heard. Everyone is talking about it. They think that there's a new street gang on the loose that's really bent and twisted on terrorizing the city! Kind of scary."
"Yeah, it is." Hyuna looks out the window at the lights as her mind travels to JiYong. 
He wasn't a terrible guy...at least he wasn't when HyunA first met him. Could he have really changed so much since then? He was pretty bad when they went through the breakup but still...what could he possibly be capable of?
CL pulls into a parking garage a couple streets down from the restaurant she wants to go to. 
"Alright," she looks over to Hyuna and smiles, "Let's go!" the two exit the car and head towards the bright colored lights of the city. "I hear this restaurant is really good! Do you like sea food?"
Hyuna smiles. "Yeah, i do actually. Love it. I just don't have it often."
"Well good! Because tonight i'm treating you, and it will be good!" 
Hyuna laughs as she links arms with CL and heads down the busy street. 

The dinner is good, and Hyuna stuffs herself for the first time in months. It's good to catch up with CL since Hyuna has been so busy lately. They talk and laugh like old times and fill each other in on their lives. Soon they find that they're not even eating anylonger, but are just sitting around talking. The waiters start to give them funny looks as the closing time nears. They laugh as they pay and leave the restaurant. The streets are still busy with people, but not filled like they would have been before all the crime sprang up. 
Hyuna and CL walk close together as they near the darkened parking garage, stil laughing with eachother and talking. Suddenly, the already dim lights in the top of the garage go black, and utter darkness surrounds them. 
CL gasps and holds onto Hyuna's arm even tighter. "Did the power just go out?"
"I...i don't know. Do you know where your car is? Then we can use the headlights."
"I cant see anything. We're on the first floor...the car is on the second..."
"Okay..." Hyuna thinks for a moment and then pulls out her cell phone and uses the light. "Let's go find it." she looks behind her to see the light opening of the garage. It's not much, but it's good enough. 
"Okay." CL answers with fright in her voice. 
The two walk slowly through the garage with the small cell phone lights as guidance. Somehow, with the lights turned off, everything seems quieter. Their footsteps echo as they walk towards the ramp leading up to the second level. 
Hyuna stops.
"What is it?" CL asks quietly as she shines the phone light into Hyuna's face.
"Shhh," Hyuna puts her finger to her lips and looks around the black garage. "I thought i heard footsteps."
"That's us, silly." CL smiles warily and then tugs on her friend's arm. 
Hyuna gives in and walks a little further, but she strains her ears to listen. There it is... *thump thump thump* of footsteps coming from...the side? She stops again.
"Hyuna..." CL whines. 
"Shh!"
"You're scaring me..." she whispers. 
"Come on," Hyuna whispers back as they walk on a little quicker. 
*Thump thump thump* the footsteps come again. They're not a tapping noise like CL's high heels but more of a thud, like boots or someone heavy in sneakers. 
Hyuna stops suddenly and listens. *Thump thump* then they stop. Hyuna's eyes widen and she looks to CL who's eyes are already like two cat eyes looking into hers.
"Did you hear that?" Hyuna whispers.
CL nods her head vigorously and then looks around the garage. "Let's go back!" she urges, "We'll wait outside in the light. Or let's just get a cab and i'll get my car tomorrow."
Hyuna waits and listens, then nods. "Okay." 
The two turn and head back down the way they came. The sound of the footsteps is now behind them, and louder than before. They seem to pick up pace, so Hyuna and CL go into a fast walk. Then there's more sounds...more feet...more people. One at each side and one in the back.
"Oh gosh..." CL whimpers quietly as they go into a slight jog towards the lighted exit. 
They begin to feel better when they see the moonlight lighting the sidewalk out front of the garage ahead when a dark figure steps out and casts a long shadow their way. Both girls stop and scream high pitched as they grab onto eachother.
Hyuna pants as she stares at the dark figure, who stands quietly at the end. 
"Dear god, you scared us!" she says to the person as she pulls CL's nails out of her arm. She looks to CL and nods, "Let's get out of here."
The girls start to go off to the side to avoid the stranger, but he moves over to block their path. They stop again and stare at him. Now the sound of the footsteps continues, and out of the side and from behind them steps three other figures dressed in dark clothes. Hyuna cant see anyone's faces, but by their physique, she can tell they're men. 
"Um, excuse us," Hyuna says quietly as she takes CL's hand and tries to walk to the other side of the exit. 
A small chuckle comes from the figure in front and then builds into a steady laughter. Then the other three join in and all laugh as they follow the girls. The one in front of the exit moves in their path again and then comes closer. 
"Uh, stay back..." Hyuna says with a shaky voice, but all four figures get closer anyhow, until the girls feel sandwiched on both sides. 
She can hear their laughter in her ears, their breath in her hair, the heat from their chests. She can't see anyone's faces because of the shadows of the garage. She holds her locked cell phone limply at her side, not sure what to do with it. If she calls DuJun, the guys will take it from her. 
"Please let us pass," Hyuna asks as innocently as she can, hoping to appeal to their better nature...if they have one.
They dont. The group erupts in laughter again and Hyuna looks down in disgust as CL holds onto her tightly. 
"What do we have here?" a voice ripples from the one in front. His voice sounds different...as if he's trying to diguise it. It also sounds a bit muffled, as if he has something blocking his mouth. 
"Looks like a couple of girls out past their curfew boss," a younger sounding voice comes from the side. 
"Seems that way doesn't it?" the first replies.
He brings his hand up to reveal purple gloves as he reaches out to Hyuna's face. She moves her head back, away from his hand, but it comes closer anyways. His rubbery fingers grab onto Hyuna's chin as he pulls her face up to look at him...or so he can look at her. 
"What should we do with them?" he asks in a knowing tone.
"Let's make an example out of them." another replies; the one behind them. 
"That sounds like a good idea," the first nods. "What could be a good way to do that?"
"How about the symbol?" the fourth replies next to them.
"Hm, i like that idea."
Hyuna yanks the strangers hand off her face. "Don't touch me." she says through her teeth, "We're leaving."
She grabs onto CL and tries to drag her past the first guy, but he moves faster. He throws his arm out and blocks Hyuna's path. One arm hooks around her front as the other hooks around her back. Hyuna can hear CL's cry as someone else yanks her off. Then her shouts become muffled as the guys surround her. Hyuna shrieks and bends forward to try to break free from him grasp. She can feel his body up against hers as his strong arms restrain her own.
"Help!" she shouts. 
Another figure hurries to her front and puts their hand over . She bites at them and twists her head as she tries to scream. The one holding onto her back, the leader, and grunts as he bends back and picks her up off her feet. He jostles her to keep her from yelling and drags her into the shadows. 
She's thrown up against the wall, just feet away from the garage opening. The first's hands hold her shoulders against the wall so she can't move, and the second holds shut. She can hear CL just a little to her left, probably in the same position as she is. Hyuna tries to look that way, but the leader's hand brings her face around to face him again. 
"What  pretty little face." the guy practically growls to her. She still can't see him, his face is hidden in the shadows. "Hm, what  a shame it would be to have to carve our little symbol into such nice skin." the man pulls up a blade and shines it in the light of the moon. Hyuna's eyes widen. "Or, maybe we could put it in your little friend over here...?" he looks towards CL, and Hyuna's eyes follow in terror. "So that you can look to her and know that it's your fault. Anyways, we like her type a little more than you." he turns back to Hyuna and she faces him again.
Her heart is pounding inside her chest and she's almost sure it will pop out at any moment. Her breathing is ragged as she breathes in and out through her nose and the gloved hand of the second man coveres . Her eyes are wide as she tries to see the face of her capturer. 
He brings the blade forward and presses the tip against the skin of her cheek, enough so that she can feel it, but not enough to cut. She closes her eyes and breathes harder. "Yeah, i like this sort of thing on your friends type. You don't mind do you?" the stranger asks as he drags the blade across her cheek a bit, still not cutting into her.
Hyuna opens here eyes and blinks. The stranger shifts weight on his feet and moves closer. His face is illuminated by the moonlight, only, it's not his face. He wears a mask. A strange, scary mask! The mask is white like a clown with purple circles as a cheeks and a red nose. The eyes are red and look like cat eyes. The mouth is twisted into a cruel smile with pink lipstick. And a black dragon is painted on the forehead, the symbol of fire inside the blackness. 
She gasps in terror and looks around. Now she can see them, the outlines of the other masks; all similar. Another is purple rather than white, but with the same type of outline of a clown face, except they have red question marks on their cheeks. The third is a brownish type of color, and actually just looks like some sort of bag with holes cut into it; but when the light hits it, it makes strange shadows giving it a guelish look. The fourth wears just a simple black type of hoodie with dark glasses and a black mask covering their nose and down. 
Then HyunA remembers her phone at her side and realizes that hand is free so the stranger can hold the blade...
She acts quickly as she brings the phone up and crashes it into the back of the strangers head, the part that the mask doesn't cover. She can feel his hair and his skull and can hear the thud of the phone against the side of his head. 
"Ah!" the man wails as his head turns with the blow, and the blade slits into Hyuna's cheek a bit.
Hyuna takes the opportunity to rip the hand away from and shrug out of his grasp. She hurries to her left and barrols into the third man holding CL up against the wall as the fourth aims a knife at her pretty face. She knocks the fourth down and can hear the knife clamber in the darkness. Then she hops up and grabs onto CL's shoulders to pull her away from the wall and towards the exit, but the others are already moving now. 
One man grabs onto Hyuna's back again as others take CL. The girls scream and cry out as they kick and lash out at the men. Their voices echo through the garage. Hyuna can't see anything, but she can feel the multiple hands grabbing at her and pulling her back into the darkness. She screams as tears overflow and stream down her face as she pulls forward, trying to sprint in place for the exit. 
As she's pulled back into the the blackness of the garage, it seems as if she's being pulled into hopelessness as she she kicks and fights but feels as if it's no use anymore. She clenches her eyes shut and cries as she's dragged deeper. 
Then there's a muffled thudding noise from behind her, and whoever was holding onto her loses their grip as he grunts. This is followed by shouts and the sound of scuffling around the cement floor. 
"Ack!" something rams into the second guy holding onto Hyuna, sending her to the ground with a thump. 
She feels around the floor in the darkness, searching for some type of weapon to grab on to in order to protect herself, or for her cell phone which was lost after she smashed it into his head, or for CL wherever she might be. 
"CL!" she shouts out through the ruckus. 
Her voice is drowned out by the yells and shouts coming from the men as they rush around in the small space. At one point, one of them stumbles and trips over Hyuna as she crawls about the floor. Someone is fighting. Someone is going after these bad men...but who? 
"CL!" Hyuna cries as more tears break free.
"Im here," CL squeeks to her right. Then CL crawls over and touches Hyuna's hand. 
"CL! Come one let's get out of here!"
The two hold hands as they scoot towards the light. The sounds of the men continue all around them. 
"Who is it?"
"Ugh!"
"Grab him!"
"Unf!" 
"Where's my knife?"
"It's some sort of monster!"
"Ah! Ow!"
"Is he a cop?"
"It's wearing body armer!"
"Let's get out of here, man!"
"We'll be back," the last voice, the voice of the leader, practically snickers as it disappears somewhere in the garage; and then it's quiet.

Hyuna flops out into the light of the moon on the quiet sidewalk outside the garage. She breathes heavily as she lies there with her eyes closed, her heart in her ears. She can feel CL laying on top of her, no doubt in the same condition. And so they lie there...thinking...trying to grasp what just happened. Who were they? How are they alive? Who rescued them?
Hyuna's breathing starts to slow and she sighs quietly as she squeezes her eyes shut. Then she feels something on her face, something soft...no, rubbery. Something gently touches her cheek and there's a slight pain that shoots out from the spot. 
"Ah," she moans as her eyes clench tighter. 
It then moves away a bit and she's able to relax as the pain decreaes. A slight breeze causes the wound on her face to sting again and she wimpers. The object returns and wipes across her face.
"Uh," Hyuna's eyes flicker open and she forces her head to look up.
Another dark figure kneels over her, their eyes focused on her. Those eyes, they're so deep and clear. They blink as they look down to her.  All she can is their eyes, looking out from a black mask, and their lips. Those lips...heart shaped. The man wears an all black outfit made out of some sort of rubber. Their eyes are kind...and gentle, but their mask...has two tips at the top. Horns? Ears? Then she notices it's their hand that's touching her face. She blinks as she brings her hand slowly up to her cheek. She slides her fingers under their's, padded by gloves, and touches the sore spot. The stranger withdraws their hand as Hyuna brings her fingers away to see blood across the tips. Her eyes widen at the sight and she looks back up to her rescuer, but they're gone. Hyuna lifts her head and looks around the street. Just gone. They're no where to be seen. 
"CL?" Hyuna moans as she looks behind her to see her friend sprawled out across her back. "Are you okay, girl?"
CL sniffles and then starts to stir. "I...i think i'm okay."
"Did you see him?" Hyuna asks as the girls start to sit up.
"See who? Those creeps with the masks? Not really."
"No not them, the last one."
"Which one?"
"The one that was just here! He was sitting right next to us. In all black, no scary mask just...something over his eyes...and on his head. Did you see him?"
"No! Why?" CL looks at her with confusion, wondering why HyunA even cares about another masked man.
"Because i think... i think he saved us." Hyuna looks around the cold, quiet street but that's all it is...cold and quiet. 

 

 

 

[hehe so it begins ;) comment/share/subscribe]