Chapter 3 ~ The First Strike

The Beast Knight Rises

The next morning, Hyuna wakes up with a headache, but she hurries to get ready anyways. Today is her first day in the office and she feels the need to get there early. Slick sits on the top of her kitchen counter, staring at her as she hurries around the apartment. Jazz lays out in the morning sun in the window sill. Hyuna wears a nice white dress with a black belt around the waist. She sticks her hair up in a messy bun and adds a black headband for style. She slips on black flats and looks at herself in the full body mirror on the back of her door. She decides she looks good enough and then rushes downstairs to catch the bus to Seoul Headline. 

Hyuna walks into the Seoul headquarters and makes her way upstairs. She'll be working with a pretty well known journalist by the pseudonym of Sanna; Hyuna was just to follow her around and get an idea about how everything works there. The girl was in her early thirties and was always on the go. She talked just about as fast as she could write and walked even quicker. Hyuna was sure that she saw the whole building within the first hour without actually seeing it! She ran place to place running errands for Sanna; she got coffee, she delivered messages, she sorted mail, she picked up lunch, she did just about everything except go out and take pictures or write even a single article. By the end of the day, Hyuna was thouroughly dissappointed.
On her way out, Sanna caught her and smiled widely, pushing her long, straight black hair behind her ear. 
"You leaving already?" she chirps in her high pitched voice.
"Uh, yeah i was only supposed to stay until six." Hyuna answers tiredly.
"Awe too bad, i was going to go out and look for a good story!"
"Right now?"
"Of course! All the best news comes out at night!" Sanna gives Hyuna wink, "So here, take a camera with you. News never sleeps." she pushes a camera bag into Hyuna's stomach, and she reaches and takes ahold of the heavy bag. "But anyways it was nice working with you today! See you next time!" Sanna spins away before Hyuna can say anything more, and the elevator doors close. 
Hyuna stares at the shut doors for a moment in silence, and then she lets out a long wail.
"Arghhhhhh i can't believe that!" she runs her hands through her hair in frusteration, "Run around doing nothing all day and then go out later and do the fun stuff! Well! Let me tell you, Sanna, i'll be back with a great story all my own without your help."
She crosses her arms over chest as she pouts in the empty elevator. The doors open and she marches out to the bright street. The world seems so fresh and new, as if it's inviting her to come out and find the most interesting story. The whole world was wide open to her. But she cant go...because she has dinner plans at DuJun's with him and IU. 
She sighs as she heads that way. She decides to walk through the busy streets and see all the people and attractions on the way. Everyone seems so happy. So consumed in their own lives. Each car, every house...they all contained people...with their own stories, their own lives; fears, triumphs, love, struggles. Surely there was something she could write about. Then she remembered; she could always write about Yong Guk's new store. In fact, she really did want to. That would be a nice opener, and it would help his business as well. Hyuna pulls out her cell phone and texts Yong Guk, telling hiim that she'll stop by after dinner to take pictures of his store and put together a story. 

At DuJun's apartment, IU is happy to see Hyuna again. The two sit at the couch and wait for DuJun to finish the dinner he planned when suddenly the bell rings to the apartment. DuJun goes over and preses the entrance button right away, as if he's expecting someone. 
"Expecting company?" Hyuna asks.
"Yup, the guys wanted to come over. I didnt think you would mind. They can help me make it at least."
"I thought this was a family dinner."
"They're family." he shrugs. 
Hyuna rolls her eyes, annoyed that she had to come to a family dinner that wasn't really a family thing after all. She could be out with Sanna actually doing something instead of doing nothing all day. She can hear the loud Beast boys before they even ring the doorbell to the apartment. 
"Hyuna!" they laugh and greet her with enthusiasm. 
"Ha, hey guys." she smiles to hide her annoyance. 
Hyuna glances over to Junhyung. He stands towards the back with his hands in his pockets, staring at her. He smiles a bit when their eyes meet, and he steps forward. 
"How was your night last night?" he asks. 
DuJun throws a glance his way, but Junhyung doesn't return it. Hyuna looks around at the others. Yoseob and Dongwoon have taken a seat next to IU as KiKwang and HyunSeung went to the kitchen to help with dinner. 
"Fine." she answers flatly.
They look into each others eyes for a moment before JunHyung nods and smiles again. 
"Good." he says as he walks into the kitchen to help with dinner.
Hyuna sighs as she sits back into the couch.
"Unnie," IU nudges her, "What was that about?"
"Nothing." Hyuna closes her eyes. 

The guys get dinner ready quickly; pasta night. A big bowl of spaghetti is placed in the middle of the table as everyone gathers around. Homemade sauce is passed around the table as DuJun pulls the fresh garlic bread out of the oven. Being completely honest, the dinner is quite good. Hyuna sits next to IU who is also next to DuJun. JunHyung goes to quickly take a seat next to Hyuna rather than his usual spot by DuJun's side. She tries to ignore him, but she cant help but glance at his arms as he reaches for the pasta bowl in the middle of the table. His skin is all one nice color, and his texture looks smooth and soft; well toned so that his tendonds show nicely. In fact, his whole arms are pretty well toned... He must workout, she concludes. Her eyes travel up his arm to his shoulder, where she can see some of the muscle along his neck, his clear jawline, his heart shaped lips and straight nose, and those focused eyes...
HyunA shakes her head to clear away any thoughts about him. She had never liked him since he was an arrogant playboy, and she never would, no matter how good he may or may not look.
JunHyung then reaches over and takes Hyuna's plate.
"Would you like some pasta?" he asks as he looks down into her eyes.
"Uh, that's okay i can get it myself..."
"I've already got it, i'll get it for you."
He holds the plate in his right hand as he scoops spaghetti with the left. He has a tattoo running along his right forearm in black ink that says "carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero," which means to sieze the day and not worry about the next. She knows that he has another tattoo across the left side of his collar bone that reads "Born again, still you son," which Hyuna suspects to reference his religion of Christianity; born again being a term for being saved, and still your son meaning he still loves his earthly family, which doesn't share his religious beliefs. Both tattoos are respectable to her and reminds her of her own tattoo that she got at the age of eighteen; "My mother is the heart that keeps me alive" in black ink with stars on her left shoulder blade, to remember her loving and caring mother who had passed away. 
"Don't really lke people doing stuff for you do you?" JunHyung smirks as he hands her plate back to her.
"Why should people do stuff for me when i can do it myself?"
"She's always been like that," DuJun adds as he fills his own plate, "She's the independent one in the family. She would always run off on her own, sneak out at night, stuff like that."
Hyuna shoots him a glare, wondering how he can just say stuff so easily and openly like that. 
DuJun looks over to her with a mouth full of food and blinks twice, "What?" he exclaims, "You know you're a little rebel."
"Am not." she smiles as she gets into her own food, "Don't believe a word he says, IU."
IU giggles and nods. "Unnie is the best unnie in the world!"
The groups laughs and Hyuna looks around at each other them as she rolls her eyes. 
"She's not scared of anything!" IU continues with pride. 
"Yah," Hyuna laughs.
"You're not scared of anything?" JunHyung asks as he looks to her.
"I mean...i guess..." Hyuna shakes her head and looks around the table to avoid his eyes.
"That's not true, Kim Hyuna." DuJun says as he looks to her, "You're deathly afraid of water and you know it!"
"Yah!" Hyuna exclaims as she shoves him, "You don't tell people that! It's embarassing!"
She looks down to her food and rests her elbow on the table with her hand on the side of her head to not see anyone.
"Water?" KiKwang laughs.
"Hey, there's sharks in there!" YoSeob stands up for her, "I understand, Hyuna."
"Ha, thanks YoSeobie!" she smiles.
"So sharks scare you? But not the water right?" JunHyung continues.
"No, the water scares me." Hyuna mumbles  just loud enough for him to hear. 
"Why?"
"Hmm...just does." she shrugs and ends that part of the converstion there.
"Junhyung you have a funny fear too!" DongWoon shouts from the other side of the table as he points a messy chopstick his way, "Don't try to deny it."
"Yahhh, that's not important." JunHyung returns to his food now in attempt to avoid the others like HyunA had. 
"Oh really?" Hyuna looks up with a smile, "What's he afraid of?"
YoSeob starts to laugh, "He's afraid of-"
"Yang YoSeob!" JunHyung whines. 
"What? It's not that bad! I think they're kind of scary too!" 
"Scary?" Hyuna begins to laugh, "Someone tell me!"
"He's scared of bats!" HyunSeung says quickly as he looks up and laughs. 
JunHyung hides his face by looking down. 
"Bats?" Hyuna asks in surprise. "How random!" she looks to him. "Why, huh? Why scared of those?"
"They're like flying rats," he says, "Vermin. Teeth. Blood ers that come out at night. You can't hear them coming or even see them. How can you not be frightened by them?"
Hyuna looks at him, knowing that he's completely serious. He's afraid of those bats.
"Son DongWoon is scared of bugs," HyunSeung continues, and the focus turns to him instead. "Any type of bug, though! Even an ant!"
DongWoon doesn't try to deny it, but rather puts up with the teasing. The joking and laughter continues throughout the meal. 

Everyone helps out to clean up after dinner and wash dishes by putting together a type of system. It doens't take long to get everything to look even better before dinner. Hyuna grabs her camera and slips on her flats. 
"Where are you going already?" DuJun asks as he leans forward on the couch, "We're going to put in a movie."
JunHyung comes out of the kitchen and leans agianst the wall between the hall to the front door and the kitchen. 
"I'm going over to BAP's new store. They opened up a new skate shop on Third Street so i'm going to take pictures and write an article for the paper."
"You're writing about a skate shop?" DuJun raises his eyebrow.
Hyuna's eyes narrow. "Yes, yes i am."
"Alright whatever," DuJun shrugs and returns his attention to the television.
"See you later, everyone! Bye IU, darling, see you later."
"Bye Unnie! Visit me soon and take me shopping, okay?"
Hyuna laughs, "Of course! Right after my next paycheck."
The rest of the group says bye as she heads for the door. As she goes down the hall, she turns to see JunHyung following behind. 
"Are you going to walk?" he asks. 
"Yeah, my bike is at BAP's place."
"Why don't you let me drive you? I mean... i only have my motor bike here, but i can still give you a ride." he puts his hand behind his head as he blushes a bit.
Hyuna smiles, actually somewhat liking this side of him. "I didn't know you had a motorcycle."
"He has like ten!" YoSeob calls from down the hall.
Hyuna smiles but drops and she quickly shuts it as she turns back to JunHyung. There's that arrogant rich play boy side of him again; and that side would never leave.
"I'll just walk," she throws up a fake smile and quickly pulls the door open and leaves before he can reply. 

HyunA walks down to the street and heads towards YongGuk's store. The sun is still out but the evening is cooling off. The streets are crowded and busy with people. Seoul is always a popular place and never even seems to sleep. That's why HyunA chooses the less traveled roads at night, in order to get home quicker and avoid the crowds. But today is a nice day and she decides to see what's up in the busier parts. She watches people talk and walk around, children running around with eachother, pets chasing each others, couples holding hands. Today is the type of day when everything seems okay. 

HyunA turns off the busy roads and through the quick alleys towards Third Street. Street by street the number of people gets less and less until she almost feels alone. That's when she decides to stick to the main roads with at least a few shoppers and locals rather than the dark alleyways. She slows as she heads up the hill to the corner where BAP's skate shop is. She pulls up her camera bag and gets ready to take out her camera for pictures. She rounds the corner and stops in her tracks. The store...is a mess; each and every neon light has been smashed, the front window has graffitti all over it, the display on the inside torn apart, and the front door off a hinge and left swung open. She stands there and blinks at the sight in front of her for a moment before she can figure out how to make her feet move again, and when she does, she rushes inside. 
"Yong Guk!" she shouts softly as she stops inside the doorway. 
The inside is no better; shelves are ripped from the walls, equipment thrown around the room, paint on the counters... and no BAP. Hyuna walks in slowly, looking around at everything as she goes through the mess. She pulls out her camera and starts to take pictures of it all.
"Yong Guk? DaeHyun? Guys?" she calls out as she spins around to take it all in. 
She walks over to the counter and goes through the already open part to get behind it. The cash register is left open, and money is strewn around the floor. She takes a picture of the scene.
"Why didn't they take any money?" she mumbles to herself as she steps over and towards the stairwell.
She stops and strains her ears in order to listen below. Downstairs she can hear voices...more than one. Someone's talking quite harshly, full of emotion. Something smashes and clatters across the room. 
Hyuna gasps, "Are they still here?" 
She backs up a bit, not sure if she should leave and call the police or go down and investigate for herself. If the police weren't here yet, she could get her story together first and then call them on her way to Head Quarters; that way she would be in the paper for sure. But what about BAP? Were they okay? Were they down there? Maybe that was them...
She decides to sneak down quietly. She's takes one precise and careful step after the other. She avoids the loose boards in the steps to be sure not to let them squeek and give her away. Stealth is one of her specialties. She makes it down to see streaks of spray paint leading all the way to the bottom. The voices inside of the workroom are muffled but she can just make them out. She picks up her camera and eases around the door. She takes a picture immediately, the flash lighting the door way. The voices inside stop immediately and she looks up to see BAP. They blink as they recognize her.
"Hyuna?" Guk's voice comes from the far end as he walks forward with a bike tire in his hand. He tosses it off to the side carelessly and it smacks into a tin shelving unit, causing the noise to echo.
"Guk!" Hyuna exclaims as she rushes in and throws her arms around his neck.
His skin is warm and sweaty. He breathes into her hair for a moment before carefully placing his hands on her back to return the hug. She pulls away and looks at him, and then to the rest of the BAP boys. They stand and sit around the work room, eyes filled with misery and dread, and faces showing exhaustion.
"Yong Guk, what happened here?" Hyuna asks as she steps back and looks at the trashed workroom.
"Don't know. We got back about ten minutes ago from the skate park to find it like this. Haven't been here all day to be honest. I don't know when this could have happened." he looks around at the mess and then up to the television he installed the day before, the screen smashed in with a skateboard hanging out. "For all i know, it could have happened any time since we left last night." he hooks both hands behind his head as he walks around and inspects it all.
Hyuna quickly takes some pictures and then pulls out a pad of paper and pen. "Okay so it could have happened anytime between six last night and about seven today. Spray paint was used, things were ruined, but did they take anything?"
"Nope, that's the part we dont understand," YoungJae steps forward, "From what we can tell, they didn't take a single thing."
"Interesting," Hyuna scribbles on her pad of paper, "Could they have been looking for something?"
"What would they look for here?" HimChan asks.
"They didn't even take the money." Zelo adds, "But they drew on some of it."
"Really? Could i see it?"
Zelo hands her a paper slip of money, but there's a picture of a dragon sketched onto the middle and the symbol of fire in each corner. Hyuna takes  a picture.  
"So they just wrecked the whole store? And drew on stuff?"
"Yup," Guk answers in distraught, "Let's go upstairs."
The group heads up the steps.
"Guk, why didn't you call the police?" Hyuna calls down over her shoulder.
"We just got here too. And they didn't take anything. I didn't know what to do."
They go back to the main store and look around. 
"Do you know anyone that would want to do this to your store?" she asks.
"Nope. Not a single person. We're a gang of friends yeah but we don't go out looking for fights or anything. We haven't done anything. We've only been working on getting this store up and running...but now we have to start all over!" Guk kicks a helmet and sends it flying across the room.
"Hey watch it!" HimChan scolds, "You almost hit me!"
"I think i would feel better if i did hit you." Guk mumbles in clear aggravation. 
"Hey, Hyuna, did you get a picture of the front window?" DaeHyun calls from outside.
"No i didn't." she answers as she goes out to meet him. 
In gold and black spray paint, the letters BB are painted on the front glass. She takes a picture.
"And here too," JongUp points to the old open and closed sign. 
The lights have been broken and the letters GD have been painted over in green. 
"What do they mean?" Zelo asks.
"I'm not exactly sure." Hyuna answer as she flips through her pictures. "Could be some competitor store or something. Or just some street gang..."
Hyuna stops as the name of a well known street gang comes to mind. "BigBang," she mumbles to herself and looks up at the letter, "BB. But then...GD...what's that?" she blinks as her mind tries to work around the puzzle. "GD...G...Ji...GDragon?" she takes another picture. "There's no way that he could have...could he?" she shakes her head in amazment.
Would GDragon have raided the store? Just because she said she was out with BAP? She knows that the BigBang gang have gotten infamous over the years but this...wasn't this going too far? Was she allowed to publish her own suspects in her story? Or would she get in trouble for blaming a possibly innocent group of guys. 
Everyone stands around the front of the store and looks at it.
"Alright, guys," Hyuna takes iniciative, "Let's get the cops here to investigate. I'm going to run over to HQ to get the story printed. Then i'll be back and we'll all work to get everything fixed up and back to normal. Guk, call the insurance company, they'll help you out. Let's get moving guys so we can catch the vandals."
She makes a fighting fist and looks to the line of boys. Some start to smile a bit and then go to get moving.
"I'll call the cops," YoungJae says as he heads inside.
The group follows, except for Guk, who stands with his arms across his chest as he looks at his prized store. 
"Guk," Hyuna says softly as she places a hand on his arm, "I'm really sorry this happened to you, But we'll make it all right again, don't worry."
"You know, Hyuna," he says quietly, "I've never really felt hate before. I'm a pretty easy-going guy. But this...this just makes me so..." he sighs, "I want revenge. I want to find who did this."
"We will, Yong Guk. I promise. Let me publish this story so that we can flush the culprit out."
He nods. "Alright. You're coming back right?"
"Right. But...where's my bike at?" she mumbles as she peeks inside the store.
JongUp is just on his way out, rolling her bike as well. Some of the frame is bent and it's covered in black and gold spray paint, but otherwise, it's able to be ridden. 
"It'll do." she says as she hops on, "Thanks, JongUp. I'll be back soon guys."

HyunA rides off towards the Seoul Headline Head Quarters on an emotional high with her adrenaline rushing. Why would Gdragon and BigBang terrorize BAP's store? Why did they not take anything? What are their motives? Is BigBang really back?

 

 

[what do you think so far? are the chapters long/interesting enough? be sure to comment/subscribe/share for more story]