Chapter 5 ~ The Phone

The Beast Knight Rises

After their ordeal, CL and Hyuna go back to CLs place by taxi. Hyuna had to use CLs cell phone to call DuJun and tell him about it since she lost her phone somewhere in the dark garage. DuJun demands that Hyuna go to the doctor and then back to his house, but she refuses, thinking that the hospital is too expensive, and not wanting to go out in the middle of the night anymore...that night at least. They agree on Hyuna coming by the next day to talk about it and get a cop report out about it. 
The girls, still in shock, address their wounds left by the terrorizors in the parking garage. Hyuna's left cheek has a small gash in the side left by the blade, but she's refuses CL's advise of going to the hospital for stitches; the hospital means she would have to pay, and she doesn't have the money to spend for someone to put a fancy bandaide on her face; instead, she uses an ordinary bandaide and fixes it over the cut, being sure to squeeze her skin together so it can heal properly. She sighs as she looks at the pink tape across her face, pink being the only colored bandaides CL owned. 
"Do you think it will leave a scar?" she asks as she looks towards CL in the mirror.
CLs eyes flicker to Hyuna and then she leans forward to look at the cut. She purses her lips and then stands back again, "It could. That's  why we should have gone to the doctors! They could fix you up so it looks like it never happened!"
Hyuna shakes her head. "It doesnt matter, i think it will go away on its own. And i told you, i dont want to go to the hospital."
"I'll pay for it..." CL looks to her friend with gentle eyes.
Hyuna returns the offer with a small smile. "It's not just that," she lies, "I really don't need it. How are you by the way?" she asks to change the subject as she turns to look at her friend. 
CL has bruises along the tops of her arms from where she had been pushed against the wall and later thrown to the floor. Other than that, both girls look alright, especially considering what could have happened with that knife. 
"I'm fine," she answers with a wary smile, "It could have been worse." she shrugs. 
Hyuna nods. "That's true." she turns back to the mirror and lightly touches the pink bandaide on her face. "I'll go out in the morning and get some scar gel for when it heals up."
"Antibiotics too." CL advises.
Hyuna nods but worries that it will all be too expensive. "When are you going to get your car?"
"In the morning. I have a business meeting at eleven so i thought we could walk to get the car together, and then i'll drive to drop you off at home and then head to work."
CL worked in advertisement for the local stores. She often made posters and even helped with commercials to advertise different beauty products and clothes. 
Hyuna nods and makes herself go away from the mirror.
The girls spend the night together, staying up late as they talk in bed about their ordeal and other subjects. Then the two drift off to sleep where their nightmares of the night wait for them in the dark.

After an interesting night of  waking in terror and falling back into sleep, Hyuna wakes first at eight and decides to give up on sleeping. She leaves her sleeping friend as she goes to prepare breakfast. She makes omelets out of the eggs from CLs fridge and then adds toast and bacon with two glasses of milk. She smiles at her own cooking, thinking about how nice it would be if she had the materials to make such meals on a regular basis. 
CL wanders out of her room as Hyuna places the forks by the plates and looks up. She smiles as she stands back. CL sees all the food and laughs. 
"I didnt know you could cook so well!" she exclaims as she takes a seat. "When did you wake up?"
"I dont know...eightish?" Hyuna replies as she sits down.
"Couldn't sleep?"
Hyuna shakes her head. "Not really."
"Sorry," CL looks at her with care, "It's all just too fresh, i get it. I keep thinking of it, and seeing their faces." she shudders.
Hyuna nods as she cuts into her omelet. "It will get better though. We'll forget about it soon enough."
"Yeah, soon." 

After breakfast, the girls change clothes; CL into a business attire and Hyuna back into her outfit from the previous night. Then they hurry out to catch the bus back into the city, where CL's car waits in that parking garage. They try to get their minds off of the events from the night before as they window shop on their way back to the garage... back to the crime scene, Hyuna thinks as they near the too familiar opening. Their pace slows as they get to the threshold, and then they stop as they stare into the open garage. The lights are on now, but the sunlight streams in from all the sides anyways. Still, the girls stand and stare as CL grips onto Hyuna's arm again.
Hyuna sighs and blinks before putting her hand on CL's. "Alright, let's go."
CL sighs and follows Hyuna's first step back into the place where they had nearly thought they would be killed. Now everything seems so...normal, not scary, not dark, not hopeless. A couple guys come down the ramp together, dressed in business suits and carrying coffee. They chatter to eachother about some type of business deal, not even noticing the girls, but Hyuna and CL cross over to the other side to avoid them anyways. 
Finally, CL's white car reflects the morning light ahead and she smiles as her step lightens and she skips over to it. She runs her hand along the smooth, clean surface of her car. "My baby!" she coos, "Not a single scratch!"
Hyuna smiles and goes around to the other side. "You see, simple!" 
CL laughs as they get into the car, the clock reading ten thirty. They hurry out of the garage and through the busy streets. After some light-hearted chatter and laughter, they fall silent as they see traffic ahead. Hyuna turns to the window and looks out, recognizing the street. 
"Why don't i get out here?" she offers.
"Here? In the middle of the road? How much further is your place?" CL had never actually been to Hyuna's arpartment yet, and for good reason. Hyuna feared that CL wouldn't let Hyuna live there if she saw the condition her home was in. 
"It's pretty far," Hyuna says as she unlocks the door and takes off her seat belt, "Anyways, Guk's store is right up the street across from a General Store. I'll get what i need from there and then go see the BAP boys. You'll be late to your meeting if you wait any longer anyways."
CL nods, knowing that her friend in right. "Okay," she says hesitantley, "I'll call you later."
"Alright," Hyuna smiles and shuts the door, "Have fun at your meeting!" she calls as she waves goodbye. 
CL laughs and waves as she speeds off towards the direction of the department store she needs to get to for her meeting.

Hyuna stands for a moment and then sighs as she heads up the street in search of the General Store and BAP's Skate Shop a couple of blocks down. When she sees that the skate shop is still shut down for repairs, she enters the General Store first. She browses the shelves, taking a little too long as she thinks about prices and how much money she has in her pockets. She holds up scar cream in one hand and antibiotic ointment in the other as the skin colored bandaides from the shelf ahead. Should she buy the scar cream...or the ointment? The bandaides could hide it and keep it clean as well, but she cant afford it all. In the end she  decides to go with the scar cream since it's more expensive. She reasons that she can use clear tape to cover it up and soap to keep it clean. 
She drags her feet up to the counter and sets down the cream as she digs in her pockets for the exact change. She pulls out what she needs and starts to count it on the counter as the cashier, an old grisly man, watches her with his sagging, bored eyes. 
Suddenly, a someone slaps down bandaides and antibiotic ointment on the counter. Hyuna blinks at the suddenness of it as she stares at the hand on the counter, and then looks up the arm to the face of the stranger. But they're not a stranger at all, Yong JunHyung smirks down at her. 
"Yah," Hyuna squeeks as she looks around the store in confusion. The Beast boys aren't here, just JunHyung. "What are you doing?" she asks as she looks from the ointment back to him. 
JunHyung's expression softens as he looks from her eyes to her cheek. His hand comes slowly over to her face as she pulls back a bit. The tip of his finger touches along the pink bandaide. "You get cut?" he asks.
"Oh, uh yeah." Hyuna slips her hand under his finger to hide her bandaide and JunHyung pulls his hand back. Hyuna turns back to the cashier, "Will this be enough?" she asks as she hands him his money.
"Hmmm..." the man looks at the money. 
"Please add this too, sir." JunHyung says as he slides the ointment and bandaides over to add to her scar cream. 
"Yah, who do you think you are?" Hyuna scolds as she pushes his hand back. "No ajhussi, just the scar cream."
"What do you think you're doing?" JunHyung whines as he pushes his pile back.
"I don't want that."
"Dont want it or can't pay for it?" JunHyung snaps as he looks to her with hard eyes. Hyuna glares back up at him as drops with his tone. JunHyung rolls his eyes and then takes her scar cream and adds it to his pile. "I'd like to purchase all of this, here." he pats the stuff on the counter as he addresses the man.
"Yah, no." HyunA says as she reaches for her cream. 
JunHyung slaps her hand away. "Don't touch my stuff."
"I had that first! Ajhussi, please!" she turns to the cashier, "That was mine first."
The older man opens his mouth to respond, but Junhyung slaps down a good amount of bills before he can speak. "I'd like to purchase this. Right now." 
The older man sniffs as he looks from Hyuna to the stack of medical supplies and then back up to JunHyung, who holds out his cash. The man shrugs and then rings up the supplies and puts it into a bag.
"Yah, sir!" Hyuna exclaims in shock as she watches JunHyung hand him his money.
She looks to JunHyung to see that he glances down at her and even...smirks? Her eyes widen and drops, and then she turns and stomps out of the store in a temper tantrum. 
"Argh!" she exhales as she paces about the front of the store, her hands in her hair in frusteration. "Who does that arrogant jerk think he is? Flaunting his money like that. Making me look bad. And i wouldn't buy anything from that horrible ajhussi even if i owned half the world!" 
"Half?" JunHyung's voice comes from behind her.
Hyuna stops her pacing faces BAP's store in defiance as she crosses her arms. 
"Why not the whole world?" he asks as he comes to stand by her side. 
"Huh," Hyuna scoffs, "What are you even doing in this part of town?"
He shrugs. "Seeing new sights and all. Plus i needed some stuff from the General Store, but thanks to you, i forgot about that and spent it on this other crap."
"Psh." Hyuna tsks as she moves to cross the street, but JunHyung's hand catches her wrist and pulls her back. 
"Yah," Hyuna croaks as JunHyung whips her around and forces her to sit on the bench out front of the General Store.
Then he crouches down in front of her, his knees in his nice dark jeans on the cement sidewalk. He wears a nice gray t shirt with an even nicer suit-looking jacket over top. He rips open the brown paper bag from the store and pulls out the medical supplies. 
"Wha-" Hyuna stops as he suddenly reaches up and grabs onto her face.
Her eyes widen as she stares into his in some sort of fear, but his focus is on her face. Then, more gently, he carefully peels off the bandaide on her cheek to reveal her cut. His head to the side as he observes it in silence. All that Hyuna can hear is her own heart and her heavy breathing, both of which she hopes he is deaf to. JunHyung's thumb gently moves over the length of her scrape. He stares at it for a moment before blinking and then returning to the bag. He pulls out the ointment and squeezes some from the tube onto his first two fingers. He looks back up and holds her chin in one hand to keep her still as he applies the antibiotic to the cut. Hyuna's eyes squeeze shut with the sting on the fresh wound. She relaxes when he pulls his hand away. She blinks as she looks down to see him peel away a fresh bandaide, and then use both hands to carefully and smoothly place it over her scratch. Once finished, he leans back on his knees with his hands on his legs as he looks at her, and then he nods. 
"Much better." he says as he packs up his stuff. He quickly pulls out the scar cream and shows it to Hyuna, "Put this on after it's healed up a little more. Twice a day until it looks better." he instructs.
Hyuna stares at him and slowly nods her head. He places it back in the bag and rolls it up before placing it on her lap. She looks down at it and stares as he gets back up onto his feet. He looks around the street absentmindedly with his hands in his pockets.
"I'm going." he says blatantly and then heads down the road.

Hyuna takes the bag and slowly stands up, not taking her eyes off of it. Then she starts to quietly go towards the BAP store. The guys are in the basement, working on cleaning up still. The store is starting to look better, but they're really taking their time to make sure that everything is put back the way it was or even made to look even better. 
Hyuna tells them all of what happened the night before as they gather around to hear her story. Their eyes widen and they gasp along with the events. 
"Did you see their face?" Guk asks as he stands in the back with his arms folded across his chest. The whole story has made him incredibly upset, and she can see that.
She shakes her head. "They were wearing strange masks. I couldn't even see those very well until the last minute or so."
"They didn't hurt you anywhere else?" HimChan asks.
"Nope. I just got a cut on my face here, but i sort of did that myself...i suppose."
The guys laugh a little to break the tension from the story. 
"You dont think..." Zelo starts and then glances around the group, "You don't think it could have been BigBang...do you?"
"That's what i was thinking." Yong Guk states as he comes closer.
Hyuna thinks about it and then shakes her head. "I can only remember four being there."
The guys look at eachother with worry. 
"But what about that last guy? The one that you think rescued you?" YoungJae asks.
"Think rescued me? He did rescue me." Hyuna states with confidence. 
"Okay, but what i'm saying is he's a fifth guy...maybe BigBang could have staged it or something..."
Now they all exchange glances and whisper to eachother. That idea had never occurred to Hyuna, and it actually unnerves her. 
But she shakes her head, "No i dont think so. I think he's...good."
"A guy dressed up like a bat?" HimChan scoffs, "How is that good?"
"I didn't say he was a bat!" Hyuna tries to defend.
"Black with pointed ears...at night, what else would it be?"
"I...i don't know." she shakes her head. "Point is he saved me, and i owe him."
HimChan shrugs. 
"You know, i've heard about this guy," Zelo says and all eyes go to him. "Yeah, this isn't exactly the first time a black figure with pointed ears has been seen in Seoul. Some guys down by the skate park were talking about how they've seen him on rooftops. He was down around the clubs the other day, well not down...up...on the rooves. Hopping from top to top! Or swinging...i dont really know. Some others said they've seen him glide around the sky, with wings. Lots of stories like that you know."
The guys raise their eyebrows at the strange story. 
"Doenst sound good to me," HimChan mumbles.
"Guy sounds like he has a lot of issues..." YoungJae adds.
Hyuna sighs as she thinks about it. 
"What are you going to do now?" JongUp asks.
"Well, i'm going to head over to DuJun's place and tell him about it all too. He's going to file a report. Who knows, maybe he can find them."
"I hope so." DaeHyun says as he looks up to her with soft eyes. 
She smiles and nods as she heads towards the door. "Me too."
"Until then," Guk says as he walks up to her, "Don't go out at night anymore. These things have gotten really bad. And with this bat guy floating around..."
"Dont you mean flying?" HimChan corrects.
Guk shoots him a glare and then shakes his head as he looks back to HyunA, "Point is it's not safe. So just go to and from work. If you're bored you can come here. Are you sure you can't stay with DuJun? Or...you could stay here with us." he smiles nervously. 
Hyuna smiles and pats his arm. "Thanks, but i'm sure i'll be okay. I'll be with DuJun tonight and then go straight home. And then from now on, it'll just be work and back. I promise." she holds up her pinky and he hooks his with hers. 
They smile and then she heads out. 

Hyuna goes directly to DuJun's, deciding to walk there and then use her money to take the bus home at night, in attempt to honor her promise to Guk about not walking around alone at night. 
When she walks into DuJun's apartment, she's greeted with a tight hug. 
"I've been so worried!" he says as he pulls her back. "The guys are here, but come tell us what happened."
Hyuna walks in to see all the Beast boys gathered together in the family room. IU pops up and runs over, throwing her arms around Hyuna. 
"Unnie," she cries, "DuJun told me something happened! Are you alright?"
"I'm fine." Hyuna pats her sister's head.
"I've been trying to call you but you haven't been answering." DuJun says as he sits down.
"Oh yeah, i lost my phone there too." Hyuna replies as she sits and looks around at the groups. 
They all look worried, but everyone greets her with warmth; even Junhyung. 
DuJun pulls out a file and a pen. "Alright, tell me everything that happened. Exactly."
Hyuna sighs and then goes into the story, being sure to tell every detail. She describes the masks she saw and what she remembers the guys saying, and she doens't leave out a single detail as she describes her heroince. IU's eyes are wide and full of wonder as she listens to the description of the "tall, muscular, man dressed in black." 
"Did you see his face?" DuJun asks as he scribbles. 
"Not really." Hyuna sighs as she thinks about his eyes, "He had brown, clear, beautiful eyes." the guys snicker and she smirks. "He wore some type of covering over the top of his face."
"But not over his mouth?" DuJun continues.
"No not his mouth. I could...maybe be able to recognize it..." she stares off at the cieling as she tries to remember. JunHyung looks to her and studies her expression. "No, i can't remember. But maybe if i were to see it again..."
"Hopefully you wont see it again." DuJun says.
"He's not the bad guy, DuJun."
"How do you know?" JunHyung speaks up.
Hyuna looks to him with an annoyed expression. "Because he saved me, Junhyung."
"How do you know he wasn't just going to rob you himself?"
"He had the chance, and he didn't take it." Hyuna sets her jaw and grinds her teeth. 
"I'm more interested in the other masked...clowns?" DuJun says as he looks over his notes. "You dont think BigBang could have done it do you?"
"BAP mentioned that too," Hyuna turns to her brother, "But i dont really think so. First of all, there were only four there."
"Maybe you didnt see a fifth. Or maybe that black masked one was the fifth." DuJun retaliates, and Junhyung looks to him. 
"No, i'm telling you, the last guy was good!" Hyuna states with emotion, and Junhyung looks back to her. 
"They mentioned a symbol...there were symbols on BAP's store...and at Junhyung's building..." DuJun continues. Hyuna looks to JunHyung who's looking at DuJun when his name is mentioned. JunHyung nudges DuJun and mumbles something, to which DuJun nods. "Too bad we dont have that symbol..."
"Oh you're right, too bad i didnt stand around long enough for them to carve it into my face." Hyuna snaps as she touches the bandaide on her face. 
"You know that's not what i meant!" DuJun states as he shakes his head, "There are some other events that seem related to BigBang..."
"But not related to what happened last night." Hyuna says, "And not related to JiYong. Even with BigBang doing some vandalizing, and not all that has been confirmed as them, they wouldn't  just jump to murder."
"They wouldn't have had to kill you." DuJun responds as he looks up to her. 
"They wouldn't. I just dont think it's them." Hyuna shrugs. 
DuJun leans forward and stares at her for a moment. "Dont tell me you have feelings for him, Hyuna." he says, and the whole group looks to her with wide eyes.
"Where did you get that from?" Hyuna scoffs.
"I'm just saying, don't try to protect them. They're bad people...JiYong is a bad guy. Maybe he wasn't bad when you first met him, but he sure as Hell was bad when i had to come-"
"Okay i get it!" Hyuna shouts to cut him off. "Just...fine! They can be a suspect, fine. I just dont think JiYong is the type that would go to these lengths."
"And i just think that i think GDragon would." 
DuJun and Hyuna glare at eachother from across the circle for a moment in silence. 

All of a sudden, the sound of a song breaks through the silence. A loud song plays part of the chorus, and everyone looks around to see where it's coming from. It sounds like some sort of ringtone...in fact it is a ringtone! It's Hyuna's ringtone. 
"Omo!" she exclaims, "That's my phone! Where is it? Everyone look around!"
The group scatters to search for the source of the music. Hyuna hurries up to look behind JunHyung, but stops. The sound is coming from Junhyung. She looks up to his eyes in confusion. 
He blinks and then digs his hand into the inside pocket of his jacket. He pulls out the phone just as the ringtone is ending. 
"Oh, that's right." he mumbles as he looks at the phone, "On my way back from the General Store today, i found this on the sidewalk."
Hyuna takes the phone from him as the others gather around to see. "You found this on the sidewalk? Where? I left it by the garage."
JunHyung shrugs as he puts his hands in his jean pockets. "I dont know, i just recognized it as yours so i picked it up."
"Really?" Hyuna turns the phone over in her hand. 
DuJun reaches out and grabs the phone from her. "This could contain evidence! Finger prints or something!"
"I dont think the prints will still be on there..." Junhyung mumbles. 
"No that's right!" Hyuna exclaims, "Or else how would it have gotten all the way there? They had to have carried it!"
"Well, my prints are on there because i picked it up." JunHyung says.
"Damn that's right." DuJun says, "Still, we can try."
He looks the phone over in his hand and then stops. He opens the old flip phone and pulls something out of the crease. He holds it up to better examine it. 
"What is it?" Hyuna asks as she looks closer.
"Some type of hair," DuJun says as he grabs a napkin and puts the hair into it. "It's brown but i dont think it's yours...it's too short. It could be JunHyung's i suppose..." 
"OMO!" Hyuna practically screams with realization, causing the whole group to jump back in shock. "The phone! The hair! I had smashed my phone on one of their heads! As like... a weapon! That could have gotten caught then!" 
DuJun looks to her with excitement in his eyes, "Well then, i think we have a good clue as to who this could be! I can have it sent down to the lab. If it's BigBang, we'll have a match based off DNA in our records from earlier, but if it is a new street gang...well then that will be harder to track down." DuJun walks to the kitchen with the hair to place it into a zip lock bag. 
Hyuna can't help but smile with this new piece of evidence. This could shed light on her terrorizors! And if it is BigBang afterall...then that should be enough evidence to get them off the streets. 
Hyuna stands in the family room as she looks at her phone. She flips it open and check the call history. 
"Yong Guk,  Dujun, DuJun, CL, Yong Guk, DuJun, IU, DuJun..." then she stops at the top of the list. The latest caller, the one who had just called with her phone in Junhyung's pocket, was a blocked number. 
"Who could that have been?" Hyuna mumbles to herself.