Chapter 1 ~ News

The Beast Knight Rises

HyunA hurries out of Seoul Headline, one of Seoul's newspaper buildings, and quickly hails down a taxi. With the good news she had to share with her family, she could afford to take a taxi for once. The high heels and tight black skirt didn't exactly make it easy to get into the taxi but she imagined it had aided her in calling it over in the first place. She pulls her white blouse out from her skirt and straightens her stylish black reporters cap. She reachs back to tighten up the braided bun that she had pulled her long, wavy, brown hair up into right before her interview. She smiles ear to ear and can hardly contain her laughter. But wait...why does she try to contain her laughter?
"Ha!" Hyuna squeels out with happiness and claps her hands together as she stomps her feet on the floor of the taxi in excitement. 
She laughs to herself for a while before looking up and seeing that the grisly taxi driver was raising his eyebrows at her through the rear view mirror. Hyuna's eyes widen as she sits up and straightens herself up again. She turns to look out the window of the cab as it drove through the busy streets of Seoul, South Korea. The sky is blue and the flowers in the flower boxes along the buildings are full of color. She rolls down her window to take in the exciting air of the city. This is her home; where she belongs. She loves the city and everything about it. Sure, there were some people that she would rather not be around, but where could she possibly go that didn't have people like that anyways? Besides the occassional street gang, the Seoul city streets had been pretty clean...up until lately. Those street gangs have seemed to grow a bit as the groups started to heads with eachother. Crime rates have risen and the city had turned into a scarier and even dirtier place compared to how it had been when she was younger. But then again, everything seems perfect when you're young. 

The taxi pulls up to the apartment complex on the east end of the city. It wasn't a bad area, especially compared to other locations. The apartments were a nice brown brick with a locked lobby entrance to keep out anyone that didn't belong in the complex. Up on the third floor is the simple apartment building where Hyuna's older brother and younger sister live. The two moved there two years ago when HyunA turned eighteen and moved out. Hyuna had her own apartment more towards the south west part of Seoul...not a bad place but a little too close to the notorious west side for comfort. Their mother had passed away when Hyuna was only sixteen, her sister was around twelve, and her brother just twenty one and already out on his own. Hyuna had been in high school and her sister, IU, in junior high when their mother had been killed in a car accident. A hit and run had occurred in which their mother's car was knocked over the guard rail and down a small hill where it tumbled. The doctors said she had died instantely. With DuJun already off in college, Hyuna was left to care for IU and for their father, who had picked up drinking due to the loss and thus lost his job. When he continued to throw away the money on gambling debts, Hyuna was lucky to have graduated high school at all, but college was out of the question for her. As for IU, DuJun dropped out of highschool and took her out of the home and into his own apartment, which he managed decently thanks to new job on the cop force. DuJun was able to pay for the rest of IU's high school tuition, though college didn't seem like it was going to work out for her either. However, Hyuna had high hopes for the girl thanks to IU's incredibly artistic ability. IU loves to paint and sketch, and she is amazing at it. IU took interest in such arts because of HyunA, who found a love for photography and writing. An internship at the newspaper for her own story line was exactly what she would have loved. 

Hyuna rushes towards the front of the apartment complex when she hears a couple people shout down the street. She stops immediately and whips around to the oncoming clatter. She gasps as Bang Yong Guk and his BAP brothers whizz up on their skateboards and bikes. They laugh at her surprised expression as they circle around her. 
"Hey, not a bad look for you!" Guk comments with a smirk as he pushes off the ground on his skateboard. 
Hyuna smilesand straightensup after realizing that this gang was her friends and not one of the other punks that troll the city. "You like it?" she asks as she flattenes out her business skirt, "Do i look professional?"
"Oh you look professional all right!" HimChan winks as he circles with his bike. 
"Yah!" Hyuna scolds him with a smile as she playfully slaps his back. 
Yong Guk stops in front of her and stomps on the end of his board to flip it up into his hands. "You look really nice," he smiles more genuinely, a smile that reaches his eyes. 
Hyuna smiles back and stares at his big lovable eyes for a moment before she realizes the "Ooh"s and "Ah"s coming from the rest of the group as they cirlce around them. Hyuna blushes as she looks down to her feet, and Guk runs a hand through his dyed blonde hair and looks over his shoulder shyly. In fact, all of the BAP boys had dyed their hair blonde. They said it was their "thing" to do within their gang. 
"You look like one of those business ladies from New York City!" Zelo shouts.
"But prettier!" HimChan adds with a wink.
"Oh, well then!" Hyuna scoffs at them and then walks forward into the path of their traffic. 
HimChan fumbles to find the breaks on his bike to avoid hitting her, and soon the BAP brothers pile up on each other in order to stop. 
"No but really, Hyuna, what's with your business attire?" YoungJae asks.
"I had an interview with that publishing company today," Hyuna replies as she skips up to the apartment entrance.
She hits the button to her brother's apartment and then taps it a couple other times until she hears his voice come over the speaker. "Yes yes yes, who is it? What do you want?" 
"It's me, DuJun, buzz me in!" Hyuna answers back as she grabs onto the handle of the door. 
The buzzer sounds that the door is unlocked and she pulls it open. 
"Oh yeah," Guk says behind her, "How was that interview anyways?" he calls. 
"Hm, i'll tell you some other time." Hyuna calls back over her shoulder as the door shuts and she hurries through to the steps. 

She bolts up the steps as fast as she can go in a skirt and heels, but after the first flight, she takes off the heels. She runs down the hall and jumps in front of the door to her brothers apartment. She excitedly knocks a tempo on the door until she hears the locks come undone on the other side. She stands back as DuJun opens the door. His face is his normal bored expression until he sees her in her professional outfit. Then his eyes widen and she struts past him into the apartment. 
"Well look at you!" DuJun smiles as he shuts and locks  the door.
He turns to follow her into the simple apartment. His place has a small living space and an even smaller kitchen. DuJun and IU share a bathroom but they at least have their own bedrooms. 
"Guess what i did today!" Hyuna smiles as she takes a seat on his old couch across from the worn out coffee table and simple television. 
"Um, well," he scratches the back of his head as he leans on the counter and looks at her apparol. She holds up her high heels for him to see as she smirks at him. 
Before he can answer, the sound of IU's little feet come prancing down the short hall from her bedroom and into the living room. "Hyuna!" she cries with happiness as she sees her on the couch. She wears a cute pink mini skirt and a flowered top, along with with pink and white ribbons tied in her pony tail...which happen to be a little off center. She skips over to Hyuna and plops down next to her on the couch for a hug. 
"Hello, IU, how are you?" Hyuna asks as she squeezes her in.
"I'm just fine!" IU giggles.
"How's school going?" Hyuna asks as she turns IU around in order to straighten out her ribbons. "Has DuJun been getting you ready in time?" she asks with a glance up at her brother.
DuJun smiles and rolls his eyes. 
"Yes, he has!" IU laughs. "But, unnie, why are you dressed in that outfit? Did you get a new job?"
What a smart girl, Hyuna thinks to herself with a smile.
"Is that it?" DuJun asks as he shrugs off the counter and walks closer with his arms folded across his chest, "Another job? What are you doing this time" 
His tone is a little annoyed since Hyuna has had many past jobs. Waitress, barista, maid; none seemed to fit what Hyuna wanted to do. Not till now.
"Well, if you must know," Hyuna smiles as she sits up a bit, "I just so happened to have went to an interview for an internship at Seoul Headline, you know, the newspaper publishers, about a possible internship for a while at their company." she smiles brightly.
DuJun starts to smile a bit too before he speaks, "Really? And how did it go?"
"Well," Hyuna starts and then pauses to look around at her siblings for a second, "I got the job!" she quickly exclaims with a clap of her hands.
"Really?" DuJun sounds compeletely surprised as he steps forward and his arms fall to his side. 
"Omo, how great!" IU claps and bounces up and down on the couch and then holds onto Hyuna's arms. "Unnie, that's great! You've always wanted to do that!"
Hyuna celebrates with them in happiness for a moment before a buzzing sound rings on at DuJun's door. He turns, still smiling, and answers the intercom.
"What is it?"
"It's us, let us in." comes the gruff voice of Yong JunHyung, a good friend of DuJun's. He rings them in. 
DuJun's college group of buddies must be coming over for a while tonight. The little gang they call Beast have been best friends all through high school and even into college. The six boys planned on being friends forever. Jang HyunSeung was the next oldest after DuJun, and JunHyung was also his age at twenty three. The difference was that Hyuna actually liked HyunSeung but couldn't really stand JunHyung. JunHyung was a boy born into a richer family that lived in some mansion just outside of Seoul. In fact, all of the Beast boys were pretty well off money-wise; even DuJun and their family had been pretty good on money for awhile before the accident, but JunHyung seemed snobby, as if he was better than others. He was usually pretty quiet and just kept to himself except for his Beast brothers. YoSeob was next oldest at age twenty, but also perhaps the sweetest one of the group. WIth a baby face and a pure soul, he was impossible not to love. KiKwang was second youngest having just turned twenty but also really kind and caring. He was obsessed with his body and working out, but at least he kept in shape and decent looks. Then DongWoon was the youngest at about ninteen; he was pretty quiet but had flower boy looks that most girls just adored. Overall, the group was a pretty classy and good group of guys with one exception in Hyuna's mind.

DuJun opens the door for his friends and they come in led by temporary leader, Yong JunHyung. Whenever DuJun was off at work or busy, JunHyung was the next one in line to take the lead. That also contributed to his more arrogant look Hyuna thought.
"Hey!" Yoseob exclaims with wide arms and a big grin as he enters.
Hyuna laughs at him as IU smiles shyly. Thought two had an age difference, Hyuna couldn't help but think that YoSeob and IU perhaps had some feelings towards eachoher, but with the protective DuJun always watching out for her, Hyuna wasn't worried at all. After all, YoSeob was a sweety and adorable, and IU was charming and beautiful; the two looked good together.
"Hey, Hyuna!" HyunSeung smiles as he comes to stand in the living room with the others.
"Ha, hello, HyunSeung." she smiles and waves to him.  
"Wow, noona, nice outfit!" DongWoon whistles and Kikwang laughs. 
"Oh yes, Hyuna was just telling us about her new job!" DuJun says as he puts an arm around JunHyung's shoulders.
Up until now, JunHyung had entered quietly and just stood by the others in silence as he looked at the girls. He had probably greeted, but Hyuna was too busy paying attention to the others anyways. 
"Oh a new job?" JunHyung mumbles as he looks from DuJun to Hyuna. "Doing what?"
"Journalism." Hyuna answers flatly. 
"That's right she got a top notch job at the Seoul Headline! What kind of stuff are they going to have you do?" DuJun asks. 
Hyuna can't keep the smile off her face, even as she speaks, "Well, i actually get to go around and photograph events and write articles for the paper. If they like them, they could actually go into print!" 
"Actually?" DuJun's expression changes to criticism as he lets go of JunHyung and comes closer. "You mean, what you do could possibly not end up in the paper at all?"
"Well i mean i am only an intern," Hyuna lets out a forced laugh, as if he was supposed to understand that already. 
"But wait...you are going to be paid for this right?" his expression is judgmental.
The room seems quiet as she stares at him and he at her. It seems like it had been back when the two would bicker and argue when DuJun and Hyuna still lived in the same house. That was another reason why Hyuna chose to live by herself. 
"I mean they are giving me a high quality camera to borrow for it. And they'll pay me for the ones that actually go into print."
"Hyuna," DuJun turns and runs a hand through his hair, "You're going to be working for the possiblilty of earning something! What are you going to do?"
"I still have my other jobs too, DuJun." Hyuna starts to sound defensive and uncomfortable in front of all the guys. 
"But those don't pay all that much either! And then you're going to be wasting your time running after stories that may not even get you anywhere! How are you going to pay for that place of yours? I mean...where are you even staying at these days anyways?"
"South-west." you mumble. 
DuJun sighs as he paces. Hyuna quickly stands up and pulls her arm free from IU's grasp. IU looks up to her and whimpers. "Unnie, where-"
"I'm going to head out then." Hyuna says as she scoots between the crappy coffee table and IU.
She pats IU's head as she passes by.
"Unnie!"
"It was good seeing everyone," Hyuna says as she walks past without meeting anyone's uneasy eyes. "I'll see you all next time."
"Bye, Hyuna." "Goodluck." "Good seeing you again." the others reply quietly. 
"Where is she living?" Hyuna hears Junhyung ask DuJun in a critical tone.
"I don't even know," DuJun replies before following Hyuna to the door. "Hyuna," he tries to calmly call after her as she opens the door.
"Goodbye, DuJun, good seeing you." she says flatly as she shuts the door behind her before he can come. 

Hyuna hurries down the hall and then back down the stairs. She gets out to the street and grunts when she steps on a pebble. 
"Oh ," she mumbles as she looks down to see that she's left her high heels up in the apartment. 
She sighs as she pulls the reporter hat off her head and untucks the rest of her blouse. If she's going to look like a mess, she might as well complete the outfit, she decides. She doesn't need the heels anymore anyways, she only wore the outfit to look good for the interview. Since she basically can work on her own, she can wear what she wants. She'll have to get the heels back before she's needed back in the office for her internship every now and again, but for now all she has to do is her other odd jobs. 
She makes her way down the street, avoiding the stares and scoffs. She went from looking classy to looking trashy. Great. 
"Argh," she sighs as she stomps down the street. 
It would take a while before she gets back to her own place, a crappy one room apartment in a gray brick building on the south-west side. A bowl of ramen awaited her in her apartment that consisted of one room with a stove, sink, bed,  simple television, toilet and shower. Luckily she had a window to offer light other that the single bulb on the ceiling. She only hopes to get back home before it gets too dark, that's when the city is the most dangerous. That is when the other gangs come out to "play." 
Hyuna is somewhat used to being by herself, but she knows better than being out in the city by herself. These days, it was harldy alright being out with her best girl friend, CL. CL was another friend from school; also quite well off with her family, but she was a really nice girl and very down to earth. She was pretty with naturally brown hair that she had dyed to a blonde occassionally. She was sweet and shy and quiet...but that was what Hyuna liked about her. She could really listen and then offer real advice. Hyuna was the open and outgoing type that could be completely honest, and CL accepted that completely with understanding. CL was the same way except she cared a little more for others in the way that she was more careful about what she says and does. But anyways, CL and Hyuna were close friends.

BAP also occassionally went out with her. It wasn't that much of a secret to know that Bang Yong Guk may actually think about Hyuna in a more than friends type of way, in which the other BAP boys caught onto pretty fast. However, Hyuna pretended not to notice and kept it a secret, even though CL was pretty interested in the idea of Guk and Hyuna dating; but Hyuna was never really into the whole dating thing. She had a boyfriend when she was younger...around sixteen. However, the guy turned out to be another bum in a street gang. Hyuna had gone along with the whole thing for awhile but DuJun was never into the whole idea. After the guy proved to be a jerk, DuJun was the one that had come to her rescue when she was eighteen, and that was when she decided to leave her old life behind and move on. Luckily, she had DuJun, CL, IU and the BAP boys to keep her spirits up; even the Beast boys. When it all came down to it, it was the people in her life that really mattered. She wanted to be careful about who it was that got to be apart of it.

Hyuna arrives at her place well into the evening, when the sun starts to throw different colors across the sky and the moon comes to take over the night. She hurries over to her worn down apartment building, where the half the windows have been smashed out with stones and the front door into the building is falling off its hindges. The entire place needs a makeover...but it's affordable. She instinctively glances over her shoulder as she nears the door, which is next to a dark and dusty alley way. There's a couple guys a bit older than her down the street talking. They wear oversized t shirts and baggy jeans. One is quite big the other just skinny. The tall one has darker black hair that's stylishly spiked towards the front, and his friend has shaggier looking brown hair that's covered with a sideways cap. They both glance her way when they notice her staring at them. She blinks and then quickly hurries into the building. Having people follow you to your apartment can be one of the worst dangers in this area.
She quickly ascends the stairs to the third floor and glances over her shoulder once more as she walks towards the fifth door in the vacant hallway. When she's sure that those punks didn't follow her up, she rushes the key into the lock and then slips in, making to shut and lock the door immediately. She sighs as she turns to her one room, one bathroom apartment. She hits the single light switch the cieling fan and light and then walks in. She pulls out a hoodie and sweat pants from her single closet next to the front door and slips off her business attire. She looks at herself in the cracked mirror of her bathroom and nods. Now that's how she usually looks; the guys had good reason to seem surprised with her professional outfit. She shakes her head as she heads to the kitchen sink to fill a pot of water for a ramen noodle dinner. The window above the sink is left halfway open to allow some "fresh" air into the room. Being on the end corner of the apartment complex, she was gifted with two windows. The one above the sink with the view of the alley below and the apartments across the way, and then the window by her bed which looked out the front to the main street and buildings. 
As she fills the pot and moves it onto the stove burners, a clatter sounds right out her kitchen window. She gasps and looks up as the pitch black form enters through her half open window and jumps onto the counter.
"Oh my god, Slick, you scared me!" Hyuna exclaims as she reaches out and pets the black street cat that often frequents her apartment. 
At first Hyuna didn't want the alley cat near her home, but after a couple days of living alone, she actually had welcomed the furry friend into her house. Now, Slick was apart of her family. He had big, bright green eyes that stared into her own. His skinny shape and soft, shiny black fur was what had earned him the name "Slick." 
She pet him as he began to pur and walk around her kitchen counter. 
"I know what you want, buddy," Hyuna talks to him as she pulls out a bowl from the cupboards ahead and then moves to the fridge.
She looks at the milk carton to see that it expires within the next couple days. She sighs as she pours whats left into the bowl and then slides it next to the watching cat. She tosses the carton out and leans on the counter as he laps up the milk. The white cream turns his whiskers white, and he holds her eyes with his as he drinks. Hyuna smiles as she scratches the kitty behind the ears. 
"Where's Jazz at these days, huh?" she asks the cat.
He answers her with a blink.
"Don't know, eh?"
Jazz was the other cat that Hyuna had welcomed into her apartment occassionally, less occassionally than Slick. Jazz was short for Jasmine, a pretty name for a pretty white and black cat. Jasmine was cuter with bright blue eyes and softer fur. She was sweet and cute but evasive. It had taken awhile for Hyuna to coax the cat into her apartment window with the treats of tuna. Slick and Jazz didn't really get along at first, but now the two seemed like best friends, except that Jazz ran off more often.
Just as Hyuna thought of this, Jasmine hopped in the window and landed next to Slick, who didn't even blink with the sudden entrance. 
"There you are, Jazz!" Hyuna smiles as she watches the cat join Slick in drinking the milk. "You have some sort of secret you'd like to share with me, Jazz?" Hyuna smiles to herself as she pets the pretty cat. "I wouldn't be surprised if you had another family somewhere that feeds you just as often as i do. You tricky thing you."

Hyuna returns to her boiling pot of water and adds the ramen noodles. Besides the quiet sounds of the kittens drinking up the milk and the burners on the stove, the apartment is quiet. 





[kinda like an introductory chapter to characters and plot. Too lazy too proofread on this sight so sorry for errors. Check back to the Foreward if you're ever confused about anything. Supposed to be written in third person present tense. Anyways, more characters in the next chapter as well as the actual start of the story. so share/comment/subscribe for more story]