14

A Surprising Meeting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

My semester break has two more weeks left. I don’t know, but this semester break is probably the best one I have ever had. I find the one that I love and meet new people. I teach myself to love children more and I spend more times with my grandmother.

How to tell Myungsoo about this? I can’t just go back to college without telling him anything. Not to forget these kids too. I have to properly arrange the sentence so that they won’t feel like I want to leave them.

“Eonni, you’re going to take care of us forever right?”

“Forever?”

“Yeah, I like _____ eonni as my sister. Right Hyunri?”

“Ummm… Nuna is the best.”

“Can eonni be our sister?”

“Sure. I'll be your sister.”

“Promise?”

“I promise…”

I giggle, reminiscing our conversation from before. They made me promise things that I can’t be sure with. But at that time, I was just thinking of taking care of their feeling and now, I’m worrying of how they might think of me when I leave later.

Right after then, I receive a text massage. I check who the sender is. It’s from Myungsoo. He asks me to meet him at the park this evening after the kids goes home. Wow, seems like he read my thought. I was planning to tell him the same thing. I beam, staring at the text message. His face appears in my mind. His warm smile, his beautiful hair, his puppy eyes and everything on him makes me love him even more.

Hyunri approaches me with a story book in his hand. “Nuna, can you read this for me?”

I take the book from him. It’s a cookbook; a cupcake recipes. He must have interested in this book because of the colorful color of the cover page. I chuckle and rub his head. “Hyunri-ah, this is not a story book, it’s a cookbook.”

“What’s a cookbook?” He asks blankly.

“It’s a book that teaches you how to cook something.”

“Oooh.” He shapes his mouth into an O shape. Hyunri then flip the books and looks through the picture. One picture catches his attention. A picture of a cupcake with a topping shapes of a rabbit. “Nuna, does this book teach how to make this?” He shows me the picture. I nod.

“You want to eat this?” I point on the page. He moves his head up and down excitedly. I smile. “Go get your sister to the kitchen. We’re going to make one.”

They wear the oversize apron over their body. I simply laugh, looking at their behavior. They don’t really do anything much, just mixing the icing together and decorate the cupcakes. They seem to have fun. Me too.

I pack some of it into a plastic container and wrap it nicely in a polka dot cloth. I ask the kids to give it to their parents and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter