The Blowoff

Sound of Love

 

Kyungsoo sighed as he started to walk off. “It’s not like I had much of a choice anyways.”

Kai furiously ran his hands though his hair. He supposed that they had to finish the night before first before trying to talk some sense into Kyungsoo.

They walked back to the ballroom and finished the night without any more mistakes.

Kyungsoo focused most of his attention on the ice sculpture that was now practically a puddle across the room. He couldn’t handle looking anyone else.

As soon as the last guest leaves, the boys start packing up, but then Joonmyun walks over to them.

“Ahem.”

Tao and Kai turn around with a displeased face. Kyungsoo turns around after he puts away the microphone and some of the electrical cords.

“Here is your pay for the night.” He said handing each of them an envelope. “Use it well.” He turns to walk away, but then turns around and tosses something at Kyungsoo. He catches it. “Since you don’t have a phone, I’m giving you one.”

Kyungsoo was confused at the gesture. Joonmyun smiled at the confused face. “It’s so I can call you to set up our date.”

Joonmyun realized something and then throws another phone in Tao’s direction. “Kris told me to give it to you. He said he didn’t want to wait for an answer so he’s going to call you when he needs you for a job.”

“Good thing I already have a phone.” Kai says.

Joonmyun slightly chuckles. “Funny. Anyway. Expect me to call.” He says as he smiles at Kyungsoo.

They watch as he walks away. Kyungsoo turns around to see his friends giving him ‘the glare.’

“Guys stop it. Let’s just pack up and go home please. I’m tired.”

They both sigh as they didn’t feel like arguing either and proceeded to finish packing up.

They lug back their stuff to their small one bedroom apartment which consists of a small kitchen, a small living room, a small bedroom, and even a smaller bathroom. It was like a square divided into 4 smaller squares.

Kyungsoo quickly retreats to the bedroom to avoid the other two as he falls asleep on the twin bed next to the full sized bed, which combined takes up almost the whole bedroom.

Kai settles in the full size bed next to Tao as he glances over and sees Kyungsoo sleeping pretty soundly. “We shouldn’t let him be doing this.”

“I know.” Tao says in response. “But what can we do. You know how rich people are. What they want is what they get.”

“Yeah I know and I hate it. But, I’m sure Kyungsoo will make good decisions.”

“Yeah, I hope so.” Tao said shifting in bed.

“How about you. Are you really going to work for that guy? Kris? Right?”

“Hell no. Last time I was basically molested by the creep.”

“But you know it’s good money. And I mean how cool would it be to be a model?”

“No Kai.”

“I’m not forcing you into anything. I’m just saying, you should think about it. We were struggling to get by. The pay for tonight is only going to last us so long. We need other sources of income rather than just nightly band playing.”

Tao sighed. “You know you could—“

“I’ve already thought about it. Once I get what I need, I’ll start again.”

Tao sighed again. “I guess if you’re doing that, I could think about it.”

Kai flashed a cheesy smile. “Good. Now go to sleep.”

Tao rolled his eyes. “Good night.”

----

Joonmyun was on his way home when he made a phone call. “Xiumin.”

“Dude, you. It’s late. I’m drunk from the party. So. Leave. Me. Alone.”

“Well you still work for me. I need you to get me background checks and all the information you can about that band that played today.”

“Ugh, I knew this was coming.”

“If you knew it, then maybe you should’ve already done it.”

“ you. Good bye.”

Joonmyun hung up his phone and stared at the lights that passed by. An image suddenly filled his head. He remembered the look on Kyungsoo’s face before rushed off the stage. He looked so scared, so terrified and Joonmyun had stood there not doing anything. It made him angry at himself. That face. Those eyes. He could feel himself wanting to protect him. He felt the need to prevent that scared look from ever crossing Kyungsoo’s face again.

And he doesn’t know why.

He sighed as he reached his home and tried to sleep it off.

----

Even on Sundays, Joonmyun still goes into work. He came into his office to see Xiumin leaning on his desk.

“Took you long enough.”

“What are you doing here? You never come here on Sundays.”

“I got your stupid background checks.” Xiumin said shoving the files towards him. “Now, I’m off to relax.”

“Wait Xiumin! I need your help?”

Xiumin groaned really loud.” What is it!?”

“I’m just kidding. Enjoy your day.”

Xiumin rolled his eyes. “.”

Joonmyun sits down at his desk as he flips though the files of the three boys.

First was Huang Zi Tao.

He was born in Qingdao, China and is only 19 years old. Immigrated with his parents to Korea when he was young. His mom owns a small restaurant while his father owns a Laundromat. Has been practicing wushu since he was young. Graduated high school in Seoul but has not gone to university due to his parents incomes not being able to afford it. Can play the drums and the piano and works during the dinner shift with Kai and Kyungsoo. No criminal history. Lives in a one bedroom apartment with Kyungsoo and Kai

“Interesting.”

Next was Kim Jong In.

He was born in Seoul and is 18 years old. His parents abandoned him when he was young and bounced around from foster home to foster home, without any luck of adoption. That’s when he changed his name from Kim Jong In to Kim Kai.  At the age of 16, he started doing juvenile activities, stealing from convenient stores, doing drugs, and drinking. Soon after, he went onto bigger things as he started to steal cars and race them. He was then thrown into a juvenile detention center. Once he was released all of those things ended. He barley graduated from high school. Does not attend university. Only known job is playing the guitar for the band at the restaurant. Lives in a one bedroom apartment along with Tao and Kyungsoo.

“Why does Kyungsoo hang out with someone like this?”

He moved onto Kyungsoo’s file.

Birth name is Do Kyungsoo. Born in Goyang, South Korea. He is 20 years old, although graduated a year later than he was suppose to due to being missing a year of school for unknown reasons.

This little fact stirred some interest in Joonmyun.

Only known job is singing in the band. Lives in a one bedroom apartment along with Kai and Tao.

Joonmyun flipped the papers and there wasn’t really anything else. He thought it was curious that Kyungsoo’s file was pretty much empty compared to the other two.

Joonmyun picked up the phone and was about to call Xiumin, but stopped because he thought instead of trying to get Xiumin to find information about Kyungsoo, maybe he can ask Kyungsoo himself.

That’s when Joonmyun remembered that he still had to set up that date.

Joonmyun picked up his phone and called Kyungsoo’s new cell phone.

After a few rings, it went straight to voicemail and this made Joonmyun a little frustrated. “I thought I told him he’d better pick up?!”

Seconds later he received a text.

From: Doe-eyed
I apologize, sir. I am in vand oractice.

“What the hell is vand oractice?”

From: Doe-eyed
I mean band practice.

Joonmyun huffed out.

To: Doe-eyed
You better call me back once you are done or else!

Joonmyun sat there for a good ten minutes staring at his phone waiting for a reply. He sighed when he realized what he was doing. He decided that he might as well get some work done to distract himself.

Hours later, he realizes that it’s 2 in the morning and he still hadn’t received a call or a text.

“Aish! This kid.” He was contemplating on calling him again, but realizing the time, he chose not to. “He better pick up tomorrow or he’s going to get it.”

----

Joonmyun came into the office a little more tired than usual.

“Were you up late darling?” Xiumin says sarcastically watching as he dragged himself in.

“No.”

“Liar. The security guard told me you didn’t leave until like 3.”

“What?! Remind me to fire him.”

“No. So why were you here so late.”

“I was waiting for a call.”

“Ooo from your lover boy?” Xiumin cooed.

“No.” Joonmyun checked his phone and no new messages or calls. Well there were, but none from who he wanted them to be from. He dialed Kyungsoo’s number as he walked into his office. Xiumin sneakily followed.

He waited though the dial tones, but he again he didn’t pick up.

“Aish!” He angrily yelled out as he turned around and threw his phone straight for the wall.

Xiumin expertly caught it before any damage could be done. “Whoa calm down there, Hulk. No need to break your poor defenseless phone.”

Joonmyun sighed as he flopped down in his chair. “Maybe if he picked up his phone I wouldn’t have to!”

Xiumin felt the phone go off in his hand.

From: Doe-eyed
Sorry, sir. I am in school.

“You put him in as ‘Doe-eyed’?” Xiumin started laughing.

Joonmyun quickly snatched his phone back. “Shut up.” He glanced at the text. “School? That wasn’t in his file.”

Xiumin shrugs. “I got everything I could get, and no I will not dig any deeper.”

Joonmyun sighed as he sat back down in his chair. “How come every time I call him, he’s busy?!”

“I don’t know, maybe he’s just lying to you because he doesn’t want to see you.”

“Why you little—“

Xiumin prances out the door laughing at him. “Meeting in 10.”

To: Doe-eyed
You better call me whenever you’re done! You still owe me a date!

Joonmyun set down his phone and went to his meeting.

However, he never got his reply.

The week went on like this.

Joonmyun would call Kyungsoo and then Kyungsoo would reply with an excuse straight after. If it wasn’t band practice, it was school. If it wasn’t school, it was work. If it wasn’t work, it was sleep.

Joonmyun’s patience with the kid was wearing thin it was already Friday, almost a week after he told Kyungsoo he was going to take him on a date and he was determined to have that date. No one blows Kim Joonmyun off and gets away with it.

----

Kai, Tao and Kyungsoo were setting up for the night.

They hadn’t talked about the incident last Saturday at the party, but it was almost a week since and Tao and Kai thought that it’s been long enough.

They sat down at a table in the restaurant with Kyungsoo sitting across from Kai and Tao.

“So Kyungsoo. We want to know what happened last Saturday.”

“Yeah, you kind of freaked us out a little bit.”

Kyungsoo sighed because he knew that this conversation was going to come up eventually. “It was nothing.”

“Don’t lie to us Do Kyungsoo.”

“Yeah, we know you better than that.”

Kyungsoo scratched his head. “Alright fine. I was nervous okay? It was the first high class event we’ve done and I was nervous. I didn’t want to mess up because if I did, it would’ve reflected bad on not only me, but you guys also. I guess I felt a lot of pressure to make it a good performance. And then when I looked into—“ Kyungsoo cut himself off and his eyes grew a little wide. He was about to say something he didn’t need to say.

“Looked into what Kyungsoo?” Kai asked looking serious.

Kyungsoo hesitated in finishing his sentence.

“Kyungsoo answer us.” Tao urged.

Kyungsoo let his head fall as he stared into his lap. “When… when I looked into Joonmyun’s eyes. At that moment I felt more pressure than I felt before. It was like a ton of bricks fell onto my heart and it stopped beating. Once I stared at him, I knew I couldn’t mess up, but then I did.”

Kyungsoo looked up at the sudden movement of the table. Kai was standing up furious. “So it was all that ing bastards fault.” He rolled up his imaginary sleeves. “When I get my hands on him—“

“Kai sit down.” Tao said pulling him back down in his seat. Tao grabbed Kyungsoo’s hand and squeezed it. “Don’t worry about it Kyungsoo. We made it though that night and that’s all that matters. You did great.” He finished with a smile.

Kyungsoo smiles back and looks over at Kai, who just sighs in defeat at the cute moment they were having. “Good thing we won’t have to see him again.”

Kyungsoo felt a sudden tug at his arm and the next thing he knew he was being lifted to his feet and being dragged off. He turned to see that it was none other than the person he wouldn’t have to see again, Joonmyun.

“HEY!” Kai yelled out after him. “WHERE THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU’RE TAKING HIM!?”

Joonmyun just ignored the shouting boy as he continued to drag Kyungsoo out of the restaurant.

“Sooyoung, tell your dad that I’ll be taking his entertainment for the night.” Joonmyun called back.

Kyungsoo was looking back at his friend with scared and confused eyes.



 

 

A/N: Sorry the late update. I was busy during the day and then when I got home, I developed a major headache, so I had to sleep it off with a nap. And when I was woke up, it was already really late. But I decided that I shouldn't disappoint you guys and update! So I did! I hope you guys enjoy.

Oh and did you see the banner? IT'S NICE RIGHT?! THANKS TO CAREBEARASSASSIN FOR CREATING IT FOR ME!

Sigh. I promise to update Cops and Robbers tomorrow and most likely update this story again tomorrow also. 

Leave comments because I love feed back~ Thanks for reading everyone!!

P.s. I read arbitrage, that one Kaisoo story. and omg. I wish I was as good as them. Even though I don't ship Kaisoo (since Sudo is the best OTP ever) i found the story really really really good. I wish I was that good. .____. /endsobstory