The Explanation

Sound of Love

 

Kai shook his head. “None of that will work.”

“Why not?” Xiumin asked.

Kai looked at Tao who nodded. “Because he’s deaf.”

Joonmyun looked up at him. “What are you talking about?”

“Yeah. Kyungsoo’s not deaf, he has conversations with us.” Xiumin said with a confused look.

Kai shook his head. “He’s been lip reading.”

“This whole time?” Joonmyun said in shock.

“That’s impossible.” Lay said.

“It’s not.” Kai simply said. “Haven’t you noticed that whenever he talks to you he stares at you?”

Joonmyun thought for a second and realized that Kyungsoo was always looking at him when he was talking.

“And whenever he was facing away or doing something, he had headphones on? That’s so whoever was trying to talk to him, they’d have to actually tap him to get his attention.”

Joonmyun’s mind began to recalling all the events now.

“Remember the time he was crying in front of the Pororo store? I had to wipe away his tears before speaking with him so he can look at my mouth as I spoke.”

Joonmyun realizes that no wonder Kyungsoo always stared while he spoke and whenever he ate, Kyungsoo asked for him to swallow all his food first.

“And then he would never pick up your calls, but he would text you after?”

Joonmyun just realized it also. “Bu-but how can he sing? Don’t you need to hear the music to sing?”

Kai sighed. “He was a singing prodigy. He had thing this called perfect pitch or something and so that he would never be off key. He memorized how each note sounds and every octave, so if you gave him sheet music, he’d be able to sing it and so after he lost his hearing, he was still able to sing.”

“How’d he lose his hearing?” Lay asked.

Kai glanced at Joonmyun. “The accident.”

If Joonmyun’s heart could break any further. It would.

“We don’t have time to talk about this, we need to go find him!” Kai yelled.

“Right. We’ll split up. Lay and Kai, me and Tao. Xiumin call Luhan.” Kris said.

“Stay here.” Xiumin told Joonmyun. “We’ll go find him.”

Joonmyun weakly nodded in his state of shock. The others nodded as they ran out of the building ready to put all their efforts into searching for Kyungsoo.

----

2 hours into the search, no one came up with anything.

Joonmyun sat in his office, worried, scared, and terrified. He didn’t want Kyungsoo to hate him. He didn’t want Kyungsoo to feel anything different for him. He wanted Kyungsoo to know how he actually felt.

That’s when he got up and decided to search on his own for him.

He knew Kyungsoo wasn’t at home because Lay and Kai have already check there. Xiumin and Luhan have check at and around the restaurant. Kris and Tao have searched pretty much every Pororo store in the city.

Pretty much every place has been searched and it was almost getting dark.

However, there was one place he thought of.

Joonmyun sobered up enough to drive to the destination and when he got there, Kyungsoo was sitting there with his knees pulled up to his chest.

Joonmyun pulled out his phone and called Xiumin. “I found him.”

“What where?!” Xiumin exclaimed.

“Cemetery. I’ll call you later.”

“Wait for—“

But Joonmyun already hung up.

“Kyungsoo.” He called out, but then he realized he was trying to talk to a deaf person. He is still and insensitive jerk.

He sighed as he hesitated to go sit next to him. What if he hates him? What if he just ups and runs away again? What if—

“I know you’re there Joonmyun.” Kyungsoo turned around to reveal his puffy red eyes.

“Wh-what, how?”

“It’s not that hard to notice giant headlights from behind. Plus Tao and Kai don’t even know where this cemetery is.” Kyungsoo said turning back around and facing the tombstone.

Joonmyun sat down next to him. He struggled to find the words to say. He didn’t want to say anything wrong or offensive.

“I overheard you.” Kyungsoo said quietly.

Joonymun looked over at him and saw that he was carefully watching him from the corner of his eye.

“Kai told us.” Joonmyun said as he watched Kyungsoo’s reaction. He didn’t seem surprised. He just nodded slightly.

Kyungsoo wasn’t looking at him anymore he was just staring blankly at nowhere. Joonmyun scooted so that he was sitting in front of him now. “Why didn’t you tell me?” He asked quietly.

“And have you look at me like I have a disability? Treat me different because I’m pitiful? No thanks.” Kyungsoo said lowering his head into his arms. “Ever since I was young, I was always treated… differently. I always liked singing when other kids my age liked sports and video games. I was outcasted. But that didn’t stop me from doing what I loved. I became a prodigy. My parents stuck me in singing classes and so I started to memorize notes, melodies, octaves and things like that. That’s when I learned I had a thing called perfect pitch. Given the sheet music, I could match any song perfectly.”

Kyungsoo took a deep breath before he started again. Joonmyun left from in front of him and sat down next to him again.

“But then, the accident happened.” Kyungsoo’s voice trailed off a little. “My ears had gotten damaged. After that, I was told that I’d have no chance of singing again. There’d be no chance for me. So that started my life being deaf. I became depressed. Everyone started treating me differently again, now because I was deaf.”

Joonmyun’s hand hesitantly made its way around Kyungsoo’s shoulder, squeezing it lightly. Kyungsoo smiled a bit.

“I met Tao because he was an exchange student. He was like me, an outcast in school. So somehow, we became friends. He treated me normally. So I was happy.” He smiled recalling the past. “We volunteered at juvenile detention center and that’s how we met Kai. He, like Tao, treated me normally. He treated me great. Both of them protected me. They were my first real friends. And in a long time, I felt happy.”

A silence came over them. Kyungsoo let his head fall onto Joonmyun’s shoulder, which shocked him a little. But he happily pulled him closer.

“You know, I’m not mad at you. I was peeking through the door when you were talking to Xiumin. I saw how angry you were, how much pain you have put yourself though. I felt your sorrow.”

Joonmyun nudged him a little, causing him to look up. “Then why’d you run?”

Kyungsoo placed his head back down. “I guess… I was just in shock, and the only thing I knew was to run.”

For some reason there were tears falling from Joonmyun’s face. Kyungsoo noticed his breathing pattern was off and looked up to see him crying.

“What’s wrong?” Kyungsoo asked worriedly.

Joonmyun smiled and shook his head. “I don’t want you to forgive me yet.”

“Wh-what?”

“I’m going to make it up to you.” Joonmyun extended his hand to him. “I’m gonna make it up.”

Kyungsoo took his hand and then Joonmyun stood up and pulled him along.

“Slow down!” Kyungsoo said stumbling along.

Joonmyun turned around and smiled at him. This is the happiest he’s felt in a long time.

 

 

 


 

 

Ok, I lied. I said I would update 'The Chasers.' But a lot of you felt confused on the last chapter, so I decided to post a short chapter explaining everything! So don't hate me too much because it's short :( 

I'll hope to update this soon again :P And i'm hoping to get 200 subscribers by the end of this story, but that's just wishful thinking :PP

Anyway, I hope you guys comment with feedback. Thanks to all the readers!

I bet some of you are going back and trying to re-read to see if what I said was true or not ;D