The Follower

Sound of Love

 

 

 “But I can’t help it. He’s just so…”

“Fragile?” Tao finished his sentence.

“Just a little.”

The both sighed as they went into the bedroom themselves, hoping sleep will cure their insecurities.

----

Kyungsoo woke up the next day to smells of breakfast and 3 text messages on his phone, the phone Joonmyun gave him and he knew that was probably who it was from.

From: Joonmyun
Kyungsoo! What are you doing.

From: Joonmyun
Answer me! Where are you?!

From: Joonmyun
Don’t make me come over there!

Kyungsoo groaned at the pestering text as he got up and did his daily routine.

He walked out to the kitchen to get breakfast and got quite a surprise.

“Good morning there Kyungsoo!” Joonmyun said smiling.

His eyes grew wide in shock. He looked over to see Kai and Tao stuffing their faces with extravagant food he’s never seen before.

“I brought over breakfast for you guys, since someone decided not to pick up his phone.” Joonmyun said shooting him a look.

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and sat down in front of him. “I was sleeping, like normal people would be in the morning.”

Joonmyun ignored the snarky little comment, and started to feed Kyungsoo. “Ah.” He said holding a spoon in front of him.

Kyungsoo gave him a what-are-you-doing look and snatched the spoon from him and fed himself.

“So Kyungsoo, let’s hang out today.” Joonmyun said smiling at him with his chin resting on his hands.

“Can’t. Busy.” He said taking a piece of toast. “Got to go. Bye!” Kyungsoo grabbed his backpack and rushed out of the apartment.

“Wait!” Joonmyun called after him, but he had already left. He looked over at Kai and Tao who were staring at him slowly chewing their food. “Does he hate me?” He asked them.

Both of them shrugged.

“Do you know where he went?”

Both of them shrugged again.

“Yah! Stop eating! This was only for Kyungsoo and since he left, I’ll be taking these.” Joonmyun picked up the plates and put them into the container he brought.

“Hey!” They both yelled.

Joonmyun stuck his tongue out and left the other two.

“Well how rude.” Tao said folding his arms.

----

It started to be a daily occurrence for Kyungsoo. Joonmyun came over every day and asked to hang out, but then Kyungsoo would always avoid him and leave before he could do anything.

“Why is he avoiding me?!” Joonmyun said annoyed sitting in the kitchen with Tao and Kai.

Both of them shrug.

“You know, you two are no help.”

And then one day, Joonmyun just decided to follow Kyungsoo. He didn’t even do it secretly.

“Why are you following me?” Kyungsoo said turning around and stopping in front of him.

Joonmyun was surprised by the sudden stop and almost knocked into him. Joonmyun only noticed their lips almost touching. He took a flustered step back. “Well, you keep avoiding me so I decided to follow you.”

Kyungsoo sighed as he turned around and kept on walking as Joonmyun kept following him.

“Where are we going?” Joonmyun asked calling out to him, but Kyungsoo ignored him as he kept walking. He sighed as he kept following him.

He watched Kyungsoo walk into a flower shop and bought some lilies and continued to keep walk, all the while still ignoring Joonmyun.

Then Joonmyun followed him into a small family restaurant and then came out with a small package.

“Where are we going?” Joonmyun called out again, but again, Kyungsoo ignored him. He assumed it was because Kyungsoo was trying to block him out with his headphones. He just sighed as he followed him.

The next place he followed Kyungsoo to was a little surprising.

Kyungsoo walked into a cemetery. Joonmyun tilted his head in confusion and asked himself why Kyungsoo would go here.

He followed Kyungsoo to a grave with no tombstone, but with a small plaque on the ground.

He watched as he placed down the flowers on top of the grave, and then set up some food and a small cake. He lit a candle and sat down in front of it with his knees pulled up to his chest and his arms wrapped around them.

Joonmyun stood under a tree behind him and watched as Kyungsoo sat there for a couple of minutes. His heart hurt watching him just sit there in front of the grave.

He walked over to Kyungsoo and sat down next to him, and saw that tears were falling down his face. Joonmyun didn’t hesitate to wipe the tears away with his thumb.

Kyungsoo jumped at the touch and looked shocked. He pulled out his headphones. “What are you doing there?” Kyungsoo said embarrassingly wiping away his tears.

“I thought I told you that I was following you.” Joonmyun said wiping away some remaining tears.

Kyungsoo pulled away and did it himself. “Well I thought you had stopped some time ago. I didn’t notice you still were.”

Joonmyun’s heart broke as he saw how puffy and red his eyes were. He wanted to do something, anything to fix whatever was hurting him, but he didn’t know how. “Are you okay?” He asked, even though he knew he wasn’t.

“Yeah I’m fine.” He picked up the food and the cake and packed them back up. “Do you want to eat with me?”

Joonmyun kind of cringed on the inside because he didn’t want to eat food that touched ground, but nonetheless he said, “Yes.”

They find a picnic table in a park nearby as they sit down and Kyungsoo sets out the food. Kyungsoo doesn’t really eat, but watches Joonmyun eat instead.

Joonmyun happily downs the food because he’s been following Kyungsoo all day, he’s gotten really hungry.

“Are you curious yet?” Kyungsoo asked, resting his head no his hand.

“Oh well, a little but you don’t—“

“Talk with less food in your mouth.” Kyungsoo said giggling.

Joonmyun quickly swallowed. “Well I am curious, but you don’t have to tell me. It’s okay.”

Kyungsoo shrugged. “Alright then.”

“But if you want to tell me,” Joonmyun quickly said. “I don’t mind.”

Kyungsoo smiled at the quick response. “Well what do you want to know?” Kyungsoo said taking a bite of food.

Joonmyun took a second so that he could word his question as politely as possible. “Who were you visiting?”

Kyungsoo takes another bite of food. “My parents.”

“Oh.” Joonmyun says quietly.

“Yeah. It’s my mom’s birthday so that’s why I’m out here.” Kyungsoo said poking at his food now.

“Oh.” Joonmyun said again. He really couldn’t think of anything else to say at that point.

Kyungsoo stood up and cleaned up a bit. “I’m going back. I still have one more thing to do for her.”

Joonmyun stood and followed him. He watched as Kyungsoo sat down in the position he was in earlier and Joonmyun did the same.

Kyungsoo started tapping his finger against his arm to the beat of a song. (A/N: Song here. SNSD – Dear, Mom.)

오늘은 왠지 힘들고 지쳐
베개를 끌어안은 혼자 방안에 남아
For some reason, today feels so difficult and exhausting
I hold my pillow closer as I sit alone in my room.

전화길 만지작거리는 나의 마음이
웬지 오늘따라 외로운거죠
I fidget with my phone as my heart
for some reason feels empty today

갑자기 울린 전화에 놀라
먹었는지 걱정하는 엄마 목소리가
The suddenly ringing phone surprises me
I hear your voice, asking me if I ate today

귀찮게 들렸던 말이 오늘은 다른걸
잊고 있었던 약속들이 떠올라요
Although at times they annoyed me, today those words feel different
And all the forgotten promises I’ve made come flooding back to me

마음이 예쁜 사람이 될게요
남을 먼저 생각하는 사람 될게요
I will become a warm hearted person
I will become a person that puts others first

엄마의 사랑의 바램들을 지켜갈게요
나와 꿈을 함께 나누던
머릴 빗겨주던 엄마가 생각나
I will fulfill the wishes of your love
The person who I share my dreams with
The one who used to come my hair, I think of my mom

Joonmyun looks over to see Kyungsoo’s tears falling down his face and his heart breaks at the sight and at his voice. All the emotion that Kyungsoo put into the song hit him straight in the heart. He wanted to wipe the tears away and tell him that he’s here for him, but he decides against it. He feels like Kyungsoo needs to sing his emotions out.

때론 잘못된 선택들로 아파했지만
아무 없이 뒤에서 지켜봐 주셨죠
Although at times, I hurt you because of my wrong decisions
You quietly watched over me from afar

서툴고 어린 아이지만 이젠 같아요
엄마의 조용한 기도의 의미를
Although, I’m still a young and clumsy child, I think I understand now
The meaning of your silent prayers

마음이 예쁜 사람이 될게요
남을 먼저 생각하는 사람 될게요
I will become a warm hearted person
I will become a person that puts others first

엄마의 사랑의 바램들을 지켜갈게요
나와 꿈을 함께 나누던
머릴 빗겨주던 엄마가 생각나
I will fulfill the wishes of your love
The person who I share my dreams with
The one who used to come my hair, I think of my mom

어떡하죠 아직 작은 맘이
엄마의 손을 놓으면 혼자 잘할 있을지
아직 부족한 같아 두려운 걸요
What should I do? My heart is still small
If I let go of your hand, I’m not sure if I can make it without you
I don’t think I’m ready yet and I’m scared

지혜로운 엄마의 아들 될게요
어딜가도 자랑스런아들 될게요
I will become a wise son
No matter where I go, I will be a son you can be proud of


엄마의 사랑의 바램들을 지켜갈게요
한없이 보여준 사랑만큼
따스한 맘을 가질게요
수줍어 자주 표현 못했죠
I will fulfill the wishes of yoru love
With all the love that you have shown me
I will have a warm heart
I was too shy to express this to you clearly

엄마 정말로 사랑해요
Mom, I truly love you.

Kyungsoo finished the song with silent sobs. He let himself lean onto Joonmyun’s shoulder. He was surprised by the sudden movement of the other, but gladly accepted it by wrapping his arm around him and gently rubbing circles on his back.

“Thank you.” Kyungsoo says quietly though his tears. Joonmyun only nods as he continues to comfort him.

----

Somewhere along the way, Kyungsoo had fallen asleep so Joonmyun got his driver and drove them back to Kyungsoo’s apartment. Then Joonmyun decided that it was a good idea to carry Kyungsoo on his back to the door.

Joonmyun knocked on the door, meeting Tao who opened it. “Oh. Hello.” He said. Joonmyun walked past him towards the bed room.

“Wait!” Tao called out. “I wouldn’t go in—“

Joonmyun opened the bedroom door to find Lay and Kai making out on the bed, with Lay on top.

“—There” Tao sighed. “I tried to warn you.”

Lay quickly got off a flustered Kai.

“What are you doing here?” Lay asked.

“And what did you do to Kyungsoo?!” Kai almost yelled.

“Sh! He’s just sleeping!” Joonmyun carefully maneuvered himself and Kyungsoo so that he was able to lay him down on the bed.

Joonmyun signaled the other two to leave the bedroom so that he would be able to sleep.

They followed him out and then the barrage of questions started.

“Why were you carrying Kyungsoo?”

“What did you two do today?”

“What did you do to Kyungsoo?!”

Joonmyun raised his hands defensively. “Can we just all chill out here?” the others sighed as they sat down. “Thank you. I followed Kyungsoo around today and he went to a cemetery.”

“Oh.” Kai and Tao said simultaneously.

“So you know.”

“Yes we know.” Kai said.

“That’s why we don’t bother him on this day.” Tao added.

“I’m so lost.”  Lay said confused.

“Today was Kyungsoo’s mom’s birthday.” Kai told him and Lay formed a ‘O’ with his mouth. “You know what’s strange though? Kyungsoo never wants us to come with him, yet he lets you stay with him.”

Joonmyun shrugs. He doesn’t know why Kyungsoo let him stay during what seemed like a precious moment, but he is glad he did. “The way he sang was so beautiful.” He said. “I felt like crying myself listening to him sing. It’s so heartbreaking.”

They others silently agreed, imagining someone like Kyungsoo crying is just heartbreaking.

“If I don’t mind asking, how did they pass away?”

Kai and Tao glance at each other. “You should ask him that.” Kai said.

“Tomorrow.” Tao added. “Now it’s time for you to go. “ He said ushering Joonmyun out. “That means you too lover boy.” Tao said pointing to Lay.

“I’ll see you tomorrow babe.” Lay said planting a kiss on Kai, causing him to blush at the public display of affection.

Joonmyun and Lay walked out together to their respective cars.

“So you really like him huh?” Lay said nudging his friend.

“Huh?” Joonmyun wasn’t really paying attention to him because his mind was somewhere else.

“Kyungsoo. You like Kyungsoo.”

Joonmyun stopped and stared at him for a second, processing the words. He smiled to himself and nodded. “Yeah. I like Kyungsoo.”

“This is a new for Kim Joonmyun. He likes someone!” Lay mocks.

“I’ve liked people before!”

Lay laughed at him. “Name one person you’ve gone out with and actually liked.” Joonmyun drew a blank. “See! You can’t think of any.”

“It’s only because there are so many, I’ve lost track of all of them.”

“Yeah yeah, just be good to Kyungsoo. He seems like a great kid.” Lay says playfully pushing him.

“I’ll do my best.” Joonmyun says genuinely.


 

 

 

A/N: So this is a 6 AM update. WOOO >:DDDD I'm super tired and so there might be mistakes in this.

Sorry but not really for constantly using SNSD songs in everything. LOL I LOVE THEM A LOT OKAY. Plus they're pretty much the only group I listen to and not just their title songs. 

Yeah if you didn't notice, the last chapter was inspired by the Xiuhan CPR on the chinese show xD

I was going to say something else but I forgot what I was going to say so. Hm... Maybe I'll remember it sometime later. Maybe. Hmm......