Stone Cold.

Robot Malfunction

Eunmi's POV

"No." I was sitting on the floor in front of the TV at Amy and Henry's house. After the little declaration of my death at their aunts house, I stormed out only to be dragged off by Amy and coming here instead. It was currently 8:00pm and I have been here, endlessly watching TV because I did not want to go home.

"C'mon Eunmi, go home. Your parents must be worried by now." Amy insisted alarmingly. "No. No. No." I repeated for the millionth time. "Ugh, I should've let you run off," she gave up and flopped down on the one seated couch beside me. She seemed her normal self, but I knew that she was acting. 

"They wouldn't worry." They're already gone. 

"YAH, LEE EUNMI, GET YOUR HOME THIS INSTANT!" She yelled, acting like an immature parent. "Don't want to." I lazily flipped through the channels. I then felt a presence hover over me from behind. Tilting my head back, I saw Henry holding a carton of strawberry milk. I eyed it as he sat down on the floor, instantly remembering the way he just left when he found out I was going to... go away soon, I quickly turned my attention back on the TV. 

'Is he still mad?' I kept wondering, which caused me to slightly pout because I was so into deep thought about it. This was the reason why I did not want anyone to know. They'll either be mad, angry, or furious, those emotions that fall under the 'hurt' category. This was why I'm not close to anyone anymore.

Upon seeing me pout reflected on the TV screen , the ends of Henry's mouth slightly curled up. Realizing he was mad at me though, he quickly vanquished the thought and grabbed the remote out of my hands. Causing me to jump a little in surprised. Putting the controller on the coffee table, he sat himself right behind me.

"I was watching that." I said tiredly. 

"We have to talk." Henry said. Hearing the seriousness in his voice, I turned around to face him. Amy, who was silently watching us listened attentively, already knowing what her brother was to say.

"Fine. Let's talk, I'm not so sure I'm willing to speak more than 3 sentences." I stared him straight in the eyes. But regretting it as I could not hold on to his soul-piercing gaze. I momentarily forgot that I was vulnerable nowadays. At least until that stupid baboon gives me back my glasses. Damnit Nichkhun. 

Losing the battle, my eyes drifted elsewhere. 

"Eunmi, why didn't you tell us?" It seemed like the air was out of the room and was replaced by tension. Looking upwards at the ceiling, I took a moment to relish the scene, taking in Henry's and Amy's familiar presence. Thinking, 'this may be the last time I'll hangout with them'. 

Composing myself, I answered him in my usual mono toned voice.

"You guys simply did not need to know." I reasoned. It was true, they of course didn't need to know. I would be out of their life the second I graduate from Seoul High. Pack my bags and leave silently. They would forget me eventually. But, if there was a choice of telling them or not, I didn't want them to know anyway. Parting with people who I knew and loved was hard. I did not want to go through that again.

Silence filled the already tensioned room, Amy snuck a glance at Henry and vice versa. 

"Eunmi, you're dying. How can you be so... indifferent about this?" Amy's tone was barely above a whisper yet we all heard her. My head turned in her direction. They were both in front of me, Henry on the floor next to the couch that Amy was sitting on. All waiting for my response.

There were many replies in my head, formulating and debating which one I should choose and say. Mean, cold words I usually give to people to make them hate me. If only my mouth worked. It turned dry and the words were stuck inside my throat. I suddenly felt panicked, causing my attention to Amy's unanswered question to waver. 

Furrowing her brows, noticing something wrong with me with just one look, Amy asked, "Eunmi? Are you alright?" Reaching towards me with a raise of her left arm, before she could touch my forehead to check to see if my fever returned, I dodged her. Pulling back. Surprised and hurt filled her eyes, I never pulled away from her before.

Placing her arm back to her side, she continued staring at me. Henry watched this all with a look of sadness, already predicting what the outcome of this talk would become. His intentions were backfiring and displaying the opposite effects he was hoping for. 

"I'm fine." 

"Eunmi .. don't be like this. Please, we just want to he-" 

"Stop." 

One word, that caused Henry's sentence to go unfinished. Stop, I said with one powerful tone of voice. The word 'help', did not go in my dictionary. I did not need help. Because help wasn't going to do anything at all.

"I'm fine." I repeated, seems like ' I'm fine ' was going to be my most said replied answer. 

Again another blanket of silence covered us. I for one have always loved the silence, but this particular quietness was too much for me to bear. I had to get out of it. 

Sighing, I took a deep breath. "Look, I know you guys are just trying to be good friends by caring about me and wanting to know more." They both looked at me as I talked to the ceiling. "But stop." I looked right at them with my deep, emotionless eyes.

The look I gave startled them, it was my first time showing them this extremely cold side to me.

"I do not and will not need your so call help. I took care of this for years, I can take care of it now." I paused a little to let it sink in. "So I appreciate it if you just the hell out and mind your own business." 

The room was now officially in the awkward silence department. 

Looking at the clock it was just 8:30pm, "Thanks for clothes and not taking me to the hospital," I said in a less harsher voice. Standing up, I grabbed my bag that was on the coffee table and went to the front door leading my exit away from this uncomfortable space. It was getting hard to breathe. 

Right after slipping on my shoes, I utter a quick and quiet reply that could still be heard from the living room. "I didn't tell you guys because I didn't want to see you like this." And then I was gone.

-

Third Person's POV

"GRRRR, HER PERSONALITY USUALLY DOESN'T PISS ME OFF BUT RIGHT NOW IT DOES. WHO DOES SHE THINK SHE IS? WE'RE JUST FRICKIN' WORRIED ABOUT HER. AND HOW DARE SHE SPEAK TO ME IN THAT TONE OF VOICE."

Amy snapped out of her sad daze and raged. "AND YOU," she pointed at Henry who also snapped back to reality, "YOU THOUGHT YOU COULD BRIBE HER TO TALK WITH THE STRAWBERRY MILK? YOU DIDN'T EVEN USE IT."

On and on Amy went, venting out her pent up emotions.

After about a few minutes, she laid down on the couch. "I don't know what to do," she whispered. Henry went over and rubbed her arm up and down, comforting her even though he needed someone to comfort him as well. "You heard her, she doesn't want us to be sad and upset."

"BUT I AM SAD AND UPSET. HOW COULD ANYBODY NOT IN THIS SITUATION? HENRY, A FRIEND OF OURS, A DEAR SISTER OF OURS, HAS BRAIN CANCER." Amy cried out, releasing her tears. Snatching her arm away from Henry's comforting gesture, she laid it down on her eyes. Blocking Henry's view of her frustration. "She has brain cancer..." Amy quietly cried. "For Christ's sake, she's going to die." 

"I KNOW STOP SAYING THAT." Henry finally roared. Seems like he couldn't take it either. "I KNOW. I KNOW." He angrily replied, ruffling up his hair and sitting down beside Amy's legs on the couch. " We can't do anything she doesn't agree on though, we can't do anything. " He repeated, he was frustrated as well.

There was a moment of silence, as the truth sank in. It was true, they couldn't do anything. 

"And stop bad-mouthing her. You know what she said wasn't true. She's just saying that to get on your nerves and make you angry at her." Henry revealed my plan. "She didn't want us to know because she doesn't want us to go through the process of losing someone we love. " He stopped for a bit, "she was hoping to get away once she graduate and leave us here clueless as to what's happening to her."

Amy let out a replied from under her arms, "You got all that from this talk? All I got was a bunch of bull. And here I thought I was the smart one." She chuckled a bit, half-heartedly. 

"So we keep quiet and act normal huh?" Amy asked. "That's the way she wants it to be." Henry replied. Amy was contemplating whether or not to follow what Eunmi wanted. Knowing her though... 

"Hell no am I doing that. Sure I'll act normal but keeping quiet? My attention is on her for the next 6 months." She decided, going back to her strong self. Sitting up-right and knocking Henry back onto the floor with her swinging legs, she stood up. "I'm going to follow Eunmi and know where she lives and talk to her parents. It's time for her to stop playing mysterious stranger. Yup, I am doing that. Right now." 

Henry, who was on the floor, stood up. He too was back to himself, "Count me in. That girl doesn't know what she got herself into when she has friends like us." He grinned from ear to ear, Amy looked at him and smiled. "Let's go before we lose her!" 

-

Eunmi's POV

It was surprising that I manage to get home without getting lost. Amy and Henry lived right in the middle of the section between South and West Seoul. I made it home at exactly 10:00pm, stopping a bit at one of the ramen stands and ate dinner.

Speaking of dinner, there were these two odd people at the stand I was eating in. Every time I look at them, they quickly turned away and pretended that they weren't looking at me. Weird, but I ignored them. It was a tiring day for me and I wanted to finish eating fast and get home. 

I was also wondering if I was too harsh on Amy and Henry. 'You needed to be harsh.' My subconsciousness told me.  My eyes suddenly went dark and hollow. That's right, if I appear cold, they won't go near me again. Which means, no one will want to be around me or care, I thought thinking about the kids from my childhood past. 

As I was entering the front door, I was expecting Jay to bombard me with questions. Instead, all I got was an empty house. Pitch black. No one was home. Not even bothering to wonder where they were, most likely they were looking for me, I reached for the phone. Dialing Jay's number, I waited for the constant ringing. 

All I got was, "The number you have dialed is unavailable. Please try again in the next few minutes." Hanging up, I went upstairs to my room. Jay's fault for keeping his phone busy all the time, I'll let him worry a bit more.

Once up the stairs, I walked past the other's rooms until mine came into view. My brows instantly scrunched up. My door was open a crack, I always leave it close. Always. Slowing down my steps, I cautiously stepped towards my door. Nudging it a bit, the door swung open creating a screeching sound from the hinges. Note to self, fix that noise soon. 

Flicking on the lights, I stood motionless looking at the view before me. I absolutely disliked it when people go through my stuff, touch my stuff without permission, and mess everything up. This person did all three. Somebody had went into my room, messed with all my stuff, cleaned it up and tried putting it back the way it was but failing, and left food crumbs everywhere.

I was not amused. 

I could not sleep here, I was beyond tired and didn't feel like cleaning up. Much less doing my homework either I thought, spotting the pile of papers on my work table. Changing into a pair of dark gray sweatpants and a pullover, I did my daily bathroom duties and then headed to Jay's room. Revealing a neat and tidy, big, open space. 

Crashing onto his perfectly made bed sheets, I made myself comfortable which caused the perfectness of the bed to unravel and drifted off to sleep. It was going to be a long day tomorrow when Jay finds me in his room safe and sound.