Minhee's True Feelings.

Robot Malfunction

 

Eunmi’s POV

It’s been hours since the Woohyun incident. After he had confronted me, I ran away. Ran all the way home, coming to a house full of silence. No one was home, no note to indicate where Jay and the others had gone.

My body was still heaving, the shaking started up halfway through my run to get to my room. I wanted to rest, to sleep, to wash away all that has happen in the past hours. Once I stumbled upon the living room, I curled on top of a three-seated couch, to will away the pain in my head and my chest.

Why would Woohyun do that? Every encounter I had with him, he’s been nothing but playful and nice. I did not expect him to act like that, at the thought of that kiss, my hands reached out to touch my mouth. My fingertips brushing against my swollen lips, I hastily tried rubbing away the scent and feel of Woohyun still lingering.

When I was sure I was not going to get into a dizzy spell, I took a shower. Which lasted about two hours, I was pruning like a dried-up raisin. Now, I was dressed and outside going to work; travelling to West Seoul. Hearing my arrival when I stepped through the front door, Amy ran towards me.

“EUNMI, I MISSED YOU SO MUCH!” It was only one day since I last saw her. Even though my lack of response was normal, she immediately knew something was wrong. Dragging me to the employee’s room, she seated me down onto the couch.

“Spill. And don’t give me the nothing crap.” She said when I was about to say, ‘It’s nothing’. I stayed silent and stood up. If she was not going to believe my lies anymore, what use was it to tell the truth? Woohyun confused me. It was the first time anything like that happened to me. Yet it was the second time I ever felt weak and frighten to the core.

“I have to change, my shift starts in 5 minutes.” I said. Amy huffed and went out the door, not before shouting out an ‘I’ll get it out of you sooner or later!’ Terrific. When my uniform was placed nicely on me, I began to tug the skirt down. Why oh why did it stop halfway down my thigh, while it made Amy look like a model, it made me look like a child; younger than I looked. Henry’s uniform was of course a chef apron and hat; he looked like a cuter version of that Pillsbury dough boy. Giving up, the skirt stretched back into its original shape.

Taking off my glasses, I furiously rubbed at my eyes. I was beginning to see hazy and blurry images, wearing fake lenses were straining my sight enough as it is. Was it really worth my self-consciousness to keep up this image? Did it really matter what people thought of me or saw me as what I am? Even if I did not like how I looked? I contemplated; making a final decision I ditched my glasses, tossing them into the garbage bin.

I could always buy another pair if I was desperate.

Striding out, my shift officially started. It was a dull day, Mrs. Yang finally came back from her daughter’s place, wherever she was. “Eunmi! I see you’re better now.” She said with her big, sweet smile. I couldn’t help but smile back. She always had this effect on me, drawing out my emotions that I so carefully closed away.

Near me, there were these two guys sitting at one of the tables facing my way. I had already taken their order 10 minutes ago. When they saw me sprout an emotion not portraying ‘blank’ and ‘nothing’ they were love struck. The next thing I knew I was back at their table listening to them struggle with their words and stutter another order.

“C-Can I have another of t-that Chocolate Cheesecake?” Idiot #1 asked. Idiot #2 couldn’t stop staring at me. I grew irritated just waiting for him to speak up. “And you sir?” I gritted through my teeth. Snapping back into reality he ordered. “I-I’ll just have a-another cup of coffee. Please.” Flipping the notepad closed, I stalked away trying to distance myself from the two weirdoes.

Amy who saw the display grinned in my direction, “Someone’s got it going on!” She said with a wiggle of her eyebrows. “If you want I can introduce you to them, they’re childhood friends of Henry and mine.” I ignored her and went into the kitchen, with a quick ‘A cup of coffee to the one with orange hair’. Her laughter was heard even when the doors closed between us.

-

Amy’s POV

“She’s so easy to tease.” I was still laughing, doubling over actually. I finished with what I was doing at the cash register and went over to the two morons staring off at the door Eunmi went through. “Hey, Gongchan, I heard that stuttering.” I snickered and punch him on his arm. “First note on flirting Sandeul, no staring for more than a few seconds, that was hilarious.” I said, placing a cup of coffee next to his empty cup.

They only gave me a glare, “It’s not our fault. We were under pressure.” I had to laugh again, “Pressure from what?” Sandeul shot up from his seat, “Did you not see her?! She was adorably cute when she smiled! Cuter than her ice cold personality that Gongchan finds attractive!” “HEY” Gongchan stood up also, the action making the chair he was sitting in fall backwards. Embarrassed he started whacking Sandeul.

“God you two are idiots. Why are you here anyways?” Picking up the fallen chair, I flicked both their forehead. “Visiting Henry of course! With the bonus of seeing that lovely girl that exited a while ago.” Sandeul replied; I flicked his forehead again, harder. “And you! Geez women, can’t take a joke.” I stuck my tongue out.

“Fine. I won’t introduce you to Eunmi then.” With that I stomp away, trying to hold in my laughter. That caused them to shout out in surprise. “MWOH?! YOU’RE FRIENDS WITH HER?!” That’s it, my laughter spilled out of my mouth.

-

Eunmi’s POV

Looking up from his baking, Henry turned to me with questioning eyes. I silently laughed at the flour that brandished his forehead. “One chocolate cheesecake.”That idiot of course had to pick the one item we had to make again because he ate the last piece. I leaned against the sink, watching him bake. When his gaze turned towards mine, I looked away. Pretending I was not staring at him a few seconds ago. Chuckling he went back to his work.

“Slow day today?” I nodded, but Henry knew me enough to know my silent answers. “Are you just going to stand there or are you going to help me decorate this cake?” I hesitated but decided to help anyways. I wasn’t doing anything at the moment. “Can you pass me the ingredients to make the base?” I did what was told.

During my time helping Henry, my hair kept making me distracted. My long bangs were good at concealing me but not for when I was doing a task at hand. Seeing me blow air up towards my bangs, making them fly up Henry suggested I should clip up my front bangs. “But I don’t have a clip.” He stopped for a minute before stating that Amy always kept a spare in her jacket pocket.

I went to the employee’s room that was connected with the kitchen and rummaged around in Amy’s jacket. When I found a black bobby pin, I scrunched up my straight bangs and lifted them from my forehead. Securing the hair, I made sure no pieces were strayed away from the pin, satisfied I went back into the kitchen.

Seeing me with no curtains covering my face, Henry’s eyebrows shot up. “Shut up.” I remarked; I know I looked weird. Seeming to read my mind, he spoke up, “You look cute as always.” Smiling, he finished up the base. I distance myself farther from him, seeing this he smiled only wider.

Henry and Amy were back to normal. As normal as it can get, they still treated me the same which made me feel at ease. As Henry placed a rolled up chocolate on the cake, Amy yelled for me. She needed help getting orders because she was busy with the cash register. Taking the cake I walked out, forgetting I still had that bobby pin in my hair.

Upon seeing me with a new hairstyle, Amy started whooping. “SO CUTE. YOUR SKIN’S SMOOTH AS A BABY’S BOTTOM!” I stared at her with empty eyes, which translated as ‘Shut up now or get out’. She did neither of those things, only told me to go over to the couple near the window booth after I was done cutting a piece out of the cake made minutes ago. After slicing a piece out, I put the rest of the delectable dessert on the display rack. “By the way, you can keep that bobby pin. It does justice to you than it does to me.” I ignored her.

Walking over to the two idiots, I put the plate down in front of the tall one. “Chocolate cheesecake. Enjoy.” They frantically looked down when I caught them all out staring. Freaks I thought. When I heard Amy’s laughter, I realized I said that out loud. Oh well.

Before I was in reach of the couple, the girl spotted me. A girl that looked awfully familiar. “EUNMI?!” Oh no. “What would you like to order.” I said, taking out a pen and my notepad out from my pocket. “Do you know how worried I was when you didn’t return?!” Her cute face turned into a sad pout, “Jay oppa worked Myungsoo oppa and the others really hard to go look for you! I was so lonely at school.” She grabbed me and pulled me into a hug.

I admit, when I heard her call Jay ‘oppa’ I was a bit annoyed. I didn’t even call him that anymore yet she, a girl whom he met a couple days ago, calls him that freely-nilly now? Whatever, he deserves a girl calling him ‘big brother’ when his real sister pretended he did not exist.

With Minhee, was of course Sungyeol. He lost some fat from his cheeks, making his cheekbones longer and hollow. A dashing look he sported wearing a black blazer and a navy blue t-shirt underneath. It did look like they were on a date, somehow the thought made my stomach queasy.

Releasing me from her grip she sat back down, pulling me along with her. I was seated beside her while Sungyeol was in front of us. He shot me a glare that I translated into a ‘You’re such a third-wheel’. I immediately got up, “What would you like.” I tried again.

But failed. “I’m sorry I didn’t come to school today, Myungsoo oppa was thinking I leave Seoul High and go back to Woolim High with him and the other oppas. But I thought about you and I co-““I don’t care. Leave.” I interrupted, causing her to falter on her words.

Minhee suddenly remembered my cold words the last time we been at school together. Seeing her hurt expression, Sungyeol attacked me. “Shut up or I’ll make you.” I turned towards him, was that a threat directed at me? “Apologize.” I did not want to. I had only spoken my mind, why did I have to apologize just because I hurt his girl’s feelings?

“People are waiting, for the last time what would you like.” I blankly said, trying not to let Sungyeol know he was irritating the hell out of me. “No. I said apologize, so apologize. Now.” I emotionlessly stared at him, my blood boiling. Sungyeol had this effect on me, I did not like it one bit.

Somewhere in the pit of my stomach, I regret giving him my jacket and winter gear that one stormy night. If he kept up this attitude, he was not going to get his stuff back. “What. Would. You. Like.” Great, I was back to gritting through my teeth. The thought of Woohyun only made me madder.

“Sungyeol-oppa, stop it. It’s okay.” Minhee said, sensing the tense atmosphere and preventing something before it got ugly. “But she was being rude.” Sungyeol stated, glaring at me with an utmost hatred I ever seen. Oh look, I got on his bad side. Lucky me. “It was my fault.” She turned towards me with an apologetic lower of her head, “Sorry Eunmi-ah. Just two cups of coffee please.”

I dashed out of there beforeI made it ugly. “Two cups of coffee.” I said. Seeing the exchange with the male customer, Amy cautiously poured the coffee. Then carefully handed it to me, she could tell I was angry. Smart girl not to get on my nerve right now.

“Here. You. Go.” I placed the cups in front of them. “Thank you.” Minhee politely said. I got the silent treatment from Sungyeol. Figures. Speed walking, I went into the kitchen. Surprised at my entrance, Henry kept a distance, also noticing my mood. Breathing in and out, I leaned against the door.

First Woohyun and now Sungyeol? Calm, I had to stay calm.

-

Sungyeol’s POV

What a rude girl. I was still seething with anger. “Sungyeol, that was rude of you.” Minhee spoke to me; I only looked away from her disapproving gaze. “Apologize when Eunmi gets back.” This time, my head whipped around to look at her. Was she out of her mind?!

“She should be the one to apologize. Not me.” Why would I apologize? “She was being a total to you.” I earned a frown from Minhee, which made me regret saying that word in front of her. I knew she hated violence and bad mouthing. Taking her hands across the table, I apologize. To her.

“I’m sorry.” She smiled, which made my heart beat faster. Then I heard the shuffle of feet coming our way, I released my hold on Minhee’s hands just as the came along. I did not need to remember her name in my mind until she proves herself of her existence to me.

“Here. You. Go.” I stayed silent while Minhee thanked her.

-

Eunmi’s POV

It was closing time and they were still here. The two idiots had already gone after receiving a call from somebody raging through the phone. Thank god, I thought I was going to have to handle them as well. After saying my goodbyes to Henry, Amy, and Mrs. Yang I went home. Only to meet with Minhee and Sungyeol at the front door.

“Oh, going home now Eunmi?” Minhee timidly asked. I nodded. Walking past them, the cool night air brushed along my skin. Hearing the door open again behind me, I quickly walked home. My earphones buzzing with loud music prevented me from hearing Minhee’s cries of “Wait!” It wasn’t until I felt a hand grasp my arm that I noticed someone was calling my name.

Minhee, short out of breathe from running after me, was doubled over. “Wait-“ Huff. “A-“ Huff. “Minute.” I blandly stared at her, what did she want now? “It’s too dark for you to walk home alone; Sungyeol oppa will take you back.” She said in a fast blur once she had air refueling her lungs.

Just then, the devil appeared, also appearing out of breathe. “Minhee, you shouldn’t run off like that.” He scolded her. To which Minhee replied with, “Oppa, walk Eunmi home please.” Sungyeol stared at her as if she had grown two heads. “And why the hell should I do that?” He clenched his hands, being around me did something to his head that he did not like.

“Oppa. Remember what we talked about. Be nice!” Minhee pouted, Sungyeol immediately stiffen. He didn’t like causing Minhee problems, if she wanted him to walk the home, he do it. Even if he didn’t want to. At all.

Taking his silence as an ok, Minhee happily hugged him goodbye. “Thank you oppa! I’ll see you at home. Be safe.” She turned towards me. “I’m glad you’re alright.” Then she left for home, which was 2 blocks away. “YAH, make sure your cell phone is on!” Sungyeol yelled just as she was out of sight. A faint “Araso” was heard.

-

Minhee’s POV

I don’t understand why Sungyeol oppa doesn’t like Eunmi. I puffed up my cheeks, “That boy needs someone in his life other than me.” I was hoping it be Eunmi. Something about her screamed out to me, the same feeling I felt when Myungsoo oppa and I first met Sungyeol oppa. I don’t want Eunmi to have the impression that Sungyeol oppa’s a mean person and vice versa.

I sighed as I was almost home.

The thought of Sungyeol oppa always made my heart thump. Everybody believed that I’m in love with him, even Myungsoo oppa thinks so! Nobody knew my heart was already taken by someone else.

I sighed again, more deeply this time.

I knew Sungyeol oppa loved me, more than a best friend. More than a sister. I can’t keep stringing him along like this. I have to let go of him, even though he was my first love.

Why is love so difficult?

-

Eunmi’s POV

I tried ditching him, but every time I think I managed to slip away he’s always there behind me. I thought he was going to leave right after Minhee left. I did not expect him to actually take me home. “Quit trying to lose me.” He stated. I wordlessly kept walking. What was the use anymore?

It was awkwardly silent.

I was in the lead while he trailed behind me, I felt like a child and he was the parent looking after me. I did not like it. For some strange reason, my heart was beating furiously through my chest. This did not usually happen; the only time I felt like this was today, when I was with Woohyun. Was I having an allergic reaction to jerks? Was there a pill that could make them go away? I hoped there was.

The silence was stretching on to forever, I was conscious of my surroundings with him nearby. My iPod just had to run out of batteries tonight of all night. I knew I should have went with my gut instinct this morning and charged it. I had to say something to fill this dread.

“You hate me, there’s no need to walk with me. I hate you, so we’re even. Leave.”

A feeling deep in my stomach disagreed with my sentence, I did not hate him. Glancing at me, from the corner of his eyes, he remained expressionless. “I told Minhee I was going to take you home. I will.” I stopped walking. This made him stop as well.

Tonight, I was a different person. A nosy person that got answers she did not like to hear.

“Do you always do what she asks?” I stared straight in his eyes, which looked right back at mines. “I love her.” Sungyeol felt a need to say that to Eunmi. “Does she love you?” This time, he broke eye contact and looked away. “Are we almost there.” He changed the subject.

‘Minhee does not love him back?’ I thought with a pang of relief flooding through my system. Wait, why did I feel relief? Taking it as I was dead tired, I blamed the unwanted emotion on lack of sleep.

“Halfway there.” I marched off, leaving him to follow behind me, lost in his thoughts.

-

A few more minutes and then my house would be within view. There were the shuffles of feet heard throughout the night, no cars zooming by on the streets, no other people wandering by either. The silence was deafening.

“You can go. It’s only 5 minutes from here.” I stated, stopping in my track to look at him. He did not respond, and then I saw a slight nod from him. Taking that as my cue to leave his sight, I started speeding up my walk. Only to stop midway, when I heard Sungyeol say, “I’m sorry.” More like mutter but it was audible to my ears either way.

Freezing in my tracks, I slowly turned his way again. “What.” I demanded. He ignored my stare, “I said I’m sorry.” He repeated himself. I could only look at him as my brain tried to register the words coming out of his mouth. Him, apologizing? I thought I was the bigger person. But of course I had to crush this ‘sentimental-once-in-a-lifetime’ moment.

“You’re only saying that because Minhee told you to.”

Bullseye. “Just take the sorry.” Sungyeol growled at me.

Then he the heel of his sneakers and walked back to West Seoul. My brain and heart was urging me to say something too. Something I did not want to say. ‘If he can say it, you can too.’ My inner voice told me, ‘Don’t be such .’ Even my inner self did not like me. Closing my eyes, I breathed in deeply.

“I’m sorry.” I whispered. “To Minhee and you.”

I was hoping he did not hear it, seeing as he was far away from me. The bad thing about an empty street is that the wind can carry your voice from one end, to the other with no difficulty. He heard me, but showed no sign of hearing the words though.

A drop of warmth filled up Sungyeol’s heart, well a very small part of it. Still, he felt this urge to turn around and walk back towards me. The thought of Minhee waiting anxiously at home for him was what kept him from making that happen and from listening to that small drop of desire. 

Seriously, Woohyun and Sungyeol? Why me.