Temporary

His and Hers

Chapter 18 – Temporary

For the next several days, Hyomi and Jaejoong saw each other at school, but thee was no reason for them to be tohether, and no further plans to be made. They were waiting for their parents to come home to find out if they had really broken up.

A few times Jaejoong started to come over to her in the halls, but something always seemed to happen. Once, they’d even begun to talk, but Yunho had butted in with some of his corny jokes. Another time at lunch, Jaejoong had walked toward her and Sun Mi’s table, then hesitated and changed course, joining a group of baseball players instead.

Hyomi had to admit that she missed Jaejoong—she’d gotten used to meeting him everyday. And whenever she thought about their movie date, or the comfortable feeling she’d had snuggled next to him on the trip back, she wished they could get together again. It seemed a lifetime ago since Hyomi had thought he was a dumb jock and a cheater.

When Hyomi got home from school on Thursday afternoon, her mother and grandmother were sitting at the kitchen table having a cup of coffee. Hyomi ran to her mom and hugged her tightly. “I’m glad to have you back.” She said, not sure if she meant from the convention or from Mr. Kim.

Mrs. Park smiled. “It’s good to be back, honey. The conference went well, but I missed you.” Mimi looked up from where he lay her feet and whimpered. “And you, too.” She added.

Hyomi’s grandmother poured a glass of milk for her and offered her some cookies. When Hyomi sat down at the table. Mrs. Park said quietly, “Before you ask, Hyomi. I want you to know that Mr. Kim and I have decided not to see each other for a while.” Granma frowned. “Hyemi, are you sure…?”

“We agreed that we couldn’t ignore the feelings of both our kids.” “Oh mom, I’m so glad!” Hyomi exclaimed. “Now we can have our Sundays together again, and I won’t have to eat alone anymore.”

“I’m glad you’re glad. We’ll plan something nice for Sunday while we drive your grandmother home.”  Leaning over, Hyomi kissed her grandmother “You’ll fill the cookie jar before you leave, won’t you grandma?” Her grandmother smiled. “That’s a promise!”

The following morning, Jaejoong met Hyomi at her locker. Grinning, he held out his hand. “Congratulations, partner!” Hyomi shook his exended hand and felt a familiar tingle at his touch. “Mom told me they’d decided not to see each other for the time being.” She said.

“Yeah, my dad said the same thing.” Slowly, he released her hand. “he said it was because it matters so much to me.” “I guess we’re pretty lucky to have parents that pay attention to our feelings.” Hyomi said. “Yeah, Hey, I feel like celebrating? We could catch a soda afterschoo. I don’t have practice today.”

“I can’t.” Hyomi said regretfully. “There’s a meeting for anyone planning to run for office next year.”

“You running for senior class president?”

“I’m going to try.”

“Well, you’ve got my vote.” Jaejoong said. Then suddenly he slapped his forehead. “Oh, brother! I just remembered that I couldn’t have gone either. I promised to take this kid I’m tutoring out for pizza.”

Hyomi’s eyes widened. “You tutor somebody?”

“Usually just on Saturday afternoon.” He said. “but this time’s special. He actually got a B on a test.” As Jaejoong left, Hyomi watched him until he disappeared into the throng of students. So that was what he did on Saturdays! And here she’d just assumed he was playing some dumb sport. Hyomi finding out more and more about Jaejoong, and she definitely liked what she was learning.

 

During the next few days, Hyomi noticed a difference to her mom. She hardly ever smiled and she didn’t sing anymore. It was almost like they year Hyomi’s father had died. Surely Mr. Kim didn’t meant that much to her—did he?

At first, Hyomi had been thrilled to have her mother’s company for dinner every night. But It wasn’t as much as fun as she had anticipated. Mrs. Park seemed preoccupied. She didn’t have much to say, and Hyomi had to provide the most of the converstion.

Bit by bit, an uneasy feeling crept over her. Her mother obviously wasn’t happy. The spark was gone,  and it was all Hyomi’s fault. She’d been thinking only of herself when she’d been so eager to break up the romance with Mr. Kim. She hadn’t considered her mother’s feeling at all.

“I’ve really been so selfish.”she murmured to herself as Mrs. Park sat in the living room watching tv. “I love mom so much, but all I’ve done is make her miserable. If only there was some way I could make up for it….”

At school the next day, Hyomi sought Jaejoong out before chemistry class. “How are things going at home?” She asked. He shrugged. “Okay, I guess. My dad isn’t very good company, though. He eats in front of the tv or work all night. We used to talk a lot, but now he seems sort of out of it.”

Hyomi sighed. “Yeah, I know what you mean. It’s the same with my mom.” Jaejoong sat down on the edge of his desk. “I didn’t think they’d be so unhappy.” “I didn’t either.” Hyomi said. “but I’m afraid that’s what happened.” Jaejoong gave her a hopeful look. “Maybe they’ll get over it.” “I hope so.” Hyomi said.

She caught the sight of Yunho and two of Jaejoong’s other friends coming into the classroom, so she said goodbye and went to her seat.Maybe Jaejoong was right. Maybe it was only temporary.