Movies?

His and Hers

Chapter 8

“Oh no, it’s seven thirty!” Hyomi jumped out of bed the next morning and flung on her clothes. After a restless night worrying about her pet, Mimi, she’d overslept. Gulping down a breakfast shake, she glanced at a clock and moaned. Why did she have to be late today of all days? There might not be time to see Jaejoong.

Sun Mi had gotten a late start,too. So the two girls almost ran all the way to school. “For someone who isn’t interested in Jaejoong, you’re sure in a rush to see him his morning.” Sun Mi pointed out.

“That’s only because I have something really important…”Hyomi began. But by this time, Sun Mi was halfway down the hall, so Hyomi headed the opposite way. She was amazed to find Jaejoong standing by her locker.

“I—I’m really late this morning.” She stammered, thinking how dorky she must sound. He’d have to be really stupid not to realize that.

“No, kidding.” Jaejoong said. He looked very glum. “I’ve been waiting for about fifteen minutes.” “You have? Is there any news?”

“Yeah. My dad’s taking your mom to dinner at La Cherie next Saturday night.” He told her. “I heard him making the reservations.”

“Oh,no!” Hyomi moaned. “That’s the most romantic spot in town!” The French restaurant overlooked the river and had a board walk along the water. They definitely didn’t want their parents to go there. “Why did he make the reservation so far ahead of time?”

Jaejoong shook his head. “Beats me. Maybe they fill up fast.” “Will the moon be full then?” Hyomi asked anxiously. “The moon?” Jaejoong stared at her. “What’s the moon got to do with it?”

“Everything. A full moon would be much too romantic.” Hyomi stated. “We’ve got to stop them.”

“Well, for starters, I’ve already canceled the reservation.” Jaejoong said with a flicker of a smile. Hyomi was really surprised. He was finally going into action. “That’s great. But what do we do next?”

Jaejoong’s smile disappeared. “You got me. Any ideas?” Hyomi thought hard. “I don’t like doing this but I think I’ll have to leave my mom a phony message saying your dad called and canceled.”

“Hey! That might work!” Jaejoong said. “I just hope she doesn’t call him to ask him why.” “Me,too.” Hyomi said. “Oopps—there’s the bell. We’d better get moving.” “okay, see you at lunch.”

As Jaejoong headed for his homeroom, Hyomi stared after him. What did he mean he’ll see me at lunch? She wondered. They usually don’t talk so often.

When Hyomi went into the cafeteria at noon, she saw Jaejoong leaning on one of the posts near her usual table. She decided to talk to him before she got her lunch—and before Sun Mi arrived.

“Hi.” He said, smiling. “How’s it going?” Hyomi put her books on the table. “Well, I had a quiz math, and we’re real busy in student government, getting ready for elections.”

There was an awkward pause. Then Jaejoong said. “Say, I was thinking….” “You have another idea?” “Not exactly, I just—I mean we never get to talk very long between classes, and I’m kind of a hurry now..” “Do you want to meet after school again?” Hyomi asked.

Jaejoong shook his head. “I was wondering we could maybe take in a movie Friday night.” Hyomi could hardly believe her ears. A movie? Did he mean a date? No of course not, it wouldn’t be a real date—it would be a plan. There was no reason why she couldn’t go just this once. Then she remembered Sun Mi. Since Hyomi had been with her mom the last two Friday nights, she’d promised to go bowling with her friend.

“Sorry—I can’t” she said. “I already have plans. Besides, I make it a policy never to go out with athletes.” Jaejoong looked surprised. “Why not?” “I’d rather not talk about it, if you don’t mind.” Hyomi said. She certainly wasn’t going to explain anything to him. “What about Saturday afternoon?” She suggested. “If you want to—if you’re free, that is.”

Jaejoong studied the pole he’d been leaning against and rubbed his thumb over a name somoneh ad scratched there, “Uh—uh I have something I have to do every Saturday afternoon.” “Do you have a job?” Hyomi asked.  “Not exactly, it’s just something I do.” He said. Apparently he didn’t want to explain anything to her, either. Struggling, Hyomi said. “Okay.”

Jaejoong took a deep breath, “What about a Saturday night movie?” Without thinking, she said, “That’s great!” and then wondered why she was so enthusiastic. “I mean, I guess that will be all right.”

“I’ll pick you up about seven-thirty.” He said, then walked away to join Yunho and several other guys at a table in the corner of the cafeteria.

Hyomi jumped when Sun Mi poked her in the ribs. “Hey, Earth to Hyomi! Come in, please.” Hyomi turned to her friend. “You’ll never guess what just happened!” “I bet it had something to do with Jaejoong.” Sun Mi said, grinning. “Tell me about it while we get our lunch.”

“He asked me to go to the movies.” She said as they headed for the salad bar. “And of course, you turned him down.” Stealing a glance at Jaejoong, Hyomi shrugged her head.” No, I said I’d go. We’re going to do some more planning.”

Sun Mi raised an eyebrow. “At the movies?”

Hyomi felt herself blushing, “We’ll probably go somewhere afterward and talk.” “Yeah, right.” Sun Mi gave her friend a knowing look. “Just don’t make plans for next weekend, okay? Remember, we’re going camping.”

“I haven’t forgotten.” Now Hyomi was having second thoughts. Why had she said she’d go to the movies with Jaejoong? It would just make it look as if the gossip about them was true. And it wasn’t true at all. They were nothing more than partners in a plot to break up their parents.

 

------------

Sorry for the delay. I was a bit busy with school. Sorry again. I promise to update later on. I'll just do some homework.