Mimi

His and Hers

Chapter nine - Mimi

When Hyomi got home late that afternoon, after finishing up some student government business, her mother wasn’t there. Hyomi knew she had to do something about the dinner at La Cherie. Not wanting to lie to her mother in person, she scribbled a note saying that Mr. Kim had called, canceling their dinner date for next Saturday night.

Mrs. Park had gone straight from work to pick up Mimi from the veterinary clinic. Hyomi was hoping that something might develop between her mother and the handsome vet. Maybe they would become better aquainted.

Hearing the car in the driveway at last, Hyomi bolted out the front door and raced over. Mimi had already jumped up and pressed his nose to the window. When he saw Hyomi, his tail wagged so hard, he looked like a windup toy.

“Mimi!” she cried, opening the car door and scooping the dog off the front seat. “You’re all better!” Mrs. Park got out. “The doctor said they had to put him out to remove the burr. But as soon as he woke up, he was fine.” She handed Hyomi a small package. “You’ll have to be in charge of his medicine.” “Did the doctor look as gorgeous as he did yesterday?” she asked as they walked to the house.

Mrs. Park smiled. “He is a good-looking man, isn’t he?” When she didn’t say anything else,Hyomi demanded. “Well?” “Well,what?” Grinning, her mom added. “Were you hoping we’d have a steamy rendezvous in the back room?”

“MOM! You know I wasn’t!” Hyomi glanced at her mother. “But I did think that maybe he’d ask you out.” Mrs. Park sighed as they went inside. “Hyomi, you can’t choose a man for me. I have to do that myself.”

“I was just pointing out a few possibilities.” Her mom sat down on the sofa. “Honey, why don’t you like Mr. Kim?”

“It’s not that I don’t like him.” Hyomi said. Choosing her words very carefully. “I just don’t think he’s right for you.”  Mrs. Park shook her head sadly. “I was hoping you’d change your mind. You know, it’s hard to date someone when your daughter—in my case, my whole family—is against him.”

A wave of guilt washed over Hyomi. She didn’t want to make her mom unhappy, if only she could be seeing someone other than Jaejoong’s dad! At least her mother was concerned about how Hyomi felt. A tiny flicker of hope rekindled itself. But what if she couldn’t find anyone to replace Mr. Kim?

Later that evening, Mrs. Park came into the kitchen where Hyomi was doing her homework at the table. She looked puzzled. “Hyomi, I don’t understand this message from Mr. Kim” Now Hyomi felt really guilty. She tried to smile. “I guess something came up.” She answered.

Her mother shook her head. “The strange part is…I don’t remember him asking me to dinner.” Hyomi froze, thinking. I can’t believe this! I canceled the invitation before mr. Kim did the inviting!

“Hmmm.. Well, maybe I just forgot.” Still shaking her head, Mrs. Park read the note again as she walked out of the room.

Hyomi panicked. What should she do now? Mr. Kim was sure to call and invite her mother to dinner and when he did, she’d know Hyomi was interfering with her life. Even worse, she’d know Hyomi had lied. Then she thought, what If mom calls him now? She had to get to the phone first! Racing to her room, Hyomi held her breath as she picked up the receiver. Hearing the dial tone, she heaved a sigh of relief and immediately called Sun Mi. as soon as her friend answered, Hyomi explained that they needed to talk for a long time until it was too late for her mom to phone Mr. Kim.

“I was just going to call you anyway.” Sun Mi said. “Something awful happened this afternoon. I just can’t believe they’d do this to me!” “Who? What’d they do?” “Oh, Hyomi, I’m so embarrassed. I felt like such a fool! You know that job the agency got for me? They said I was to be a product spokesperson. Well it turned out when I got there that I wasn’t for a modeling job.” She paused. “it was to pass out free samples at the grocery store!” “That’s terrible! But something else will some along.” Hyomi assured her. “did anyone from school see you?”

“No. Thank goodness.” Sun Mi said. “That would have been totally humiliating.” They talked for about an hour. When Hyomi hung up, she glanced at the clock. It was ten-thirty, and she figured that it was safe now. So far, so good. She thought. But when Mr. Kim did invite her mom to that dinner, she was sure there would be fireworks.