Joongie!

His and Hers

Chapter 6

When Hyomi got home, she sat in the kitchen, thinking about what Sun Mi had said. She just couldn’t let her mom marry Mr. Kim, and she needed help. As much as Hyomi hated to ask Jaejoong for anything, she decided to call him right away, before she lost her nerve.

She looked up Kim Dong Woon (Jaejoong’s dad’s name) in the phonebook, and slowly , reluctantly, dialed the number. Jaejoong answered, and Hyomi was sure surprised at how pleasant his voice sounded.

“Hi. Jaejoong. This is Hyomi Park.” She said. Trying to keep it light, she went on. “What’s going on with our parents?” “Well, it wasn’t my idea.” Jaejoong snapped. He didn’t sound pleasant anymore.  Taken back by his abruptness, Hyomi swallowed , then continued. “I guess neither of us is happy about it.”

There was a long silence, and Hyomi wondered if Jaejoong was going to hang up on her. Finally, he said, “My dad doesn’t need some woman trying to get her hooks into him.” “What?” Hyomi shrieked. “My mom is not like that! It’s your dad who’s chasing her!” “Yeah, right. Dad and I were getting along fine, just the two of us, until she came along.”

“Wrong!” Hyomi insisted. “He’s been monopolizing my mom’s time!” “My dad’s not spending a lot of time here, either. He’s always with her!” Hyomi took a deep breath, trying to calm herself down. As evenly as she could, she said, “Well, at least we agree on something. So what are we going to do about it?”

After another long silence, Jaejoong murmured. “I don’t know.” “Why don’t we meet tomorrow after school and see what we can come up with?” Hyomi suggested. “I have baseball practice everyday after school.” He said. “I can wait.” Hyomi said promptly. “I have a lot of stuff to do in the student government office.” “Yeah, that’s right. You’re junior class president.”

“Do you have any problems with that?” she asked defensively. “No. In fact, It’s pretty cool.” Thrown off by his compliment, Hyomi almost forgot that he hadn’t answered her question. She decided to act as if he’d agreed. “I’ll meet you at the Pizza Palace tomorrow right after practice, okay?”

After a pause, Jaejoong said, “I’ll be there.” As she hung up, Hyomi thought about his attitude. Although Jaejoong was obviously just as upset as she was about their parents, she certainly didn’t like the things he’d said. Imagine him thinking her mother was doing the chasing! Jaejoong should be glad his dad was dating such a wonderful person!


The next day…   

Hyomi finished her work in the student government office a little early, so she headed for the baseball field. Careful to stay out of Jaejoong’s- and Yunho’s sigh, she watched the last part of practice. They looked as if they were having fun.

When the team headed for the gym, Hyomi hurried across the street to the Pizza Palace. She bought herself a soda and found a table in the back corner. Fifteen minutes later, Jaejoong walked in. His hair was still wet from the shower, and Hyomi couldn’t help noticing how handsome he was. He spotted her and nodded, then got a soda and spoke to several kids at a table near the front before he ambled back to where Hyomi was sitting.

“Well, I’m here.” He said ungraciously.
“Thanks for coming.” Hyomi said with a friendly smile. She figured if they began to arguing, nothing would be accomplished. He pulled out a chair and sat down. “I don’t think there’s anything we can do.”  “We can at least talk about it.” Jaejoong scoled. “What good is talk?”

Losing her patience, Hyomi slapped her hand on the table. “Look, Jaejoong, if we don’t at least try to do something, we could end up stepbrother and sister!” Jaejoong looked shocked. “I—I never thought of that” “Well, think about it now.” Hyomi snapped. “Married. Jeez.” Jaejoong shook his head. “You’re right – we have to do something. I’ve thought about trying to break them up, but I don’t have any idea where to start. I’ve already told my dad I don’t like her.” He said gloomily.

Hyomi glared at him. “How could you not like my mom? You don’t even know her! She’s everything a man could want!” Jaejoong glared back. “Some man, maybe, but not my dad! We don’t need any woman in our lives. Women just foul everything up!”

“Well, a man would foul up our lives, too!” Hyomi announced. “So, let’s decide what we can do. I’ve thought of a couple of things.” “I figured you’d have it all worked out.” Jaejoong said with a sneer. Hyomi’s temper flared. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

He shrugged. “You’re obviously the organized type.” “Well, at least I’ve been trying to come up with some plans!” “Okay, okay. Let’s hear them.” Jaejoong propped his chin on his hands, starring at her grimly.

“First.” Hyomi said. “I thought we could try to answer the phone all the time and if one of them calls, tell them the other one isn’t home.” “forget it. They’ll  just keep trying. Besides, they can call each other at their offices.” Hyomi frowned. “Well, it was just an idea. Then I thought when your dad calls. I could pretend to mistake him for someone else. That way he’d think there were a lot of men in her life.”

Jaejoong just laughed. “You don’t know much about men, do you?” Hyomi fidgeted under his gaze. “What do you mean? What’s wrong with my idea?” “If dad thinks a lot of guys are after your mom, it will probably make him jealous and then he’d call even more.”

Hyomi hadn’t thought about that, but she had to admit he might be right. “I don’t know—I guess it wouldn’t have hurt to try it. What other neat things have you planned?” Jaejoong asked. “Well,” Hyomi said. “you might try to find some other woman for your dad.” “Why would I want to do that? I just told you I don’t want any woman messing up our lives!” “I thought that’s how I felt, too. But now I’ve decided my mom needs somebody to have fun with—but not your father.”

“Are you trying to tell me my dad isn’t good enough for your mom?” Jaejoong yelled, then glanced over his shoulder, checking to see who might have heard. Lowering his voice, he added. “My dad is really cool.”

“I’ll take your word for it,” Hyomi said. “But he’s just not right for my mom.” “If you want someone else for your mom,okay. But I want my dad to stay single.” Exasperated, Hyomi said,”I’m so glad I have your permission!”

Out of the corner of her eye, Hyomi saw Jaejoong’s buddy Yunho come in the door and peer around. When he saw them, he started shouting, “Hey, Joongie! I’ve been looking all over for you!” He eyed Hyomi curiously.

Jaejoong stood up. “I’m finished here, right, Hyomi?” When she nodded, he turned to Yunho. “Hey, man. Want to go take a look at your carburetor problem?” Watching them walk away, Hyomi sighed. Some help Jaejoong had been! She wondered if he would do anything at all. He was upset about their parents’ relationship, but would he follow through? Hyomi felt that she couldn’t depend on him. She’d just have to step up her own efforts to find another man for her mom—and try to intercept any calls from Mr. Kim.