Cheater!

His and Hers

Chapter thirteen – Cheater!

After working in the student government office, Hyomi was late for lunch on Monday. She went through the cafeteria line and found Sun Mi, who had saved her a seat at their usual table.

“Jaejoong came by and asked where you were.” Sun Mi told her. “He seemed very disappointed that you weren’t here.” Hyomi felt a blush creep over her cheeks. She’d filled her friend in about most of Saturday night, but she hadn’t said a word about her growing feelings for Jaejoong. Sun Mi didn’t miss the blush. “Hmmmm.. Very interesting.”

Glancing to over where Jaejoong was sitting, Hyomi found him looking at her. When their eyes met, he grinned and waved, and Hyomi waved back.

“I think there’s more than planning session going on here.” Sun mi said as she watched the exchange.

Hyomi picked up her sandwich. “Well, you’re wrong. The only reason we’re seeing each other so much is to figure out a way to break up our parents’ romance.”

Throughout lunch, whenever Hyomi stole a glance at Jaejoong, she caught him looking at her. Shortly before the bell rang, he came over to her table. Smiling, he said. “I missed you at your locker this morning.”

“Look at the time!” Sun Mi suddenly said, picking up her tray. “I’d better get going. See you later, Hyomi.” She hurried off, leaving Hyomi and Jaejoong alone.

Hyomi stood up, too, and began gathering her books. “I had an early meeting with the other class presidents. Was there something you wanted to see me about?” “Yeah.” Jaejoong said. “I thought maybe we could study together for Friday’s chemistry test after baseball practice today.”

Hyomi’s heart gave a little skip of pleasure. “That’s a great idea.” Hyomi said. “But I really can’t. I have to go home and hang out by the phone.” Then she explained the mistake she’d made bout their parents’ dinner date. “I sure goofed on that one.” She added. He shook his head. “It wasn’t your fault. I thought he’d already asked her. And I guess you’re right—he’ll probably be calling her. Dad got home from his trip last night.” The bell rang, and Jaejoong added. “Come on. I’ll walk you to class.”

They joined the crowd of students leaving the cafeteria. “Isn’t your fourth period class over in the other wing?” Hyomi asked. “Yeah.” He said. “So I’ll be a little late.”

He left Hyomi at the door to her classroom, then strode off in the opposite direction. Hyomi walked slowly down the aisle to her seat, her mind in whirl. How could she ever have thought Jaejoong was like that dumb football player and all the other athletes she’d known? He was nothing like them at all. In fact, he was nothing like any other boy Hyomi had ever met.

That night, Hyomi got lucky. Just before six. Mr. Kim called. Hyomi told him her mom wasn’t home. She asked him if she could take a message. Mr. Kim hesitated. “I just wanted to invite her out for dinner on Saturday.

“Oh, that’s too bad.” Hyomi’s mind began racing frantically to come up with an excuse. “We’re—we’re going camping!” “Camping?” Hyomi picked up on her distaste in his voice. Delighted, she said. “Oh, we love the outdoor thing. You know—hiking, tents , no running water, dirt.” After a long pause, Mr. Kim said, “Oh, well. I’ll talk to her later.”

When she hung up, Hyomi slumped into a chair. Now all she had to do was convince her mom to come along with her and Sun Mi’s family and that wasn’t going to be easy!

Two days later, Hyomi headed for her chemistry class, hoping to have a few minutes to talk to Jaejoong, she hurried to catch up with them. She was about to say something, but they were deep in conversation, so she hung back.  “We’ve got to take that test on Friday.” She heard Yunho saying. Jaejoong sighed. “I can’t believe he’d do that to us.”

“With all these extra practices, I haven’t had a chance to study at all.” Yunho said. “Have you got a copy?” “You’re in luck my man. Here.” Jaejoong reached into his notebook and handed Yunho several pages stapled together.

Hyomi froze. Jaejoong wasactually giving Yunho the chemistry test! That was cheating! She clenched her fist , staring after the boys as they walked away. She blinked back tears of anger and disappointment. She’d begun to think that Jaejoong was different, but he wasn’t. Now she was convinced that he really was a dumb jock--  and a cheater, too!

Early Sunday, Hyomi kicked open the side door of the garage and dumped her sleeping bag and duffel bag on the laundry table. It might have been a decent camping trip if her anger at Jaejoong hadn’t spoiled everything. He’d tried to talk to her last week, but she’d refused to speak to him. And she’d studied extra hard to make sure that she’d do well on Friday’s chemistry test.

Hyomi could still hardly believe Jaejoong had given Yunho a copy of that test. She’d been right about him in the first place. She would never get involved with an athlete again, no matter how handsome and charming he was.

Before going into the house, Hyomi took her dirty laundry out of the duffel bag and started a load of wash. Everything sure got grungy on a camping trip—that was the part her mom didn’t like. Hyomi’s effort to convince her to come along had been a dismal failure. No amount of coaxing had worked, so Hyomi had given up and gone without her, telling herself that if Mr. Kim called while she was away, she’d worry bout later. Unfortunately, this was later.

Wondering what happened, Hyomi went into the kitchen. Hyomi paused an sniffed. Something delicious—like cookies baking. Just then the door to the dining room swung open.