Married

His and Hers

Chapter 14 – Married?

“Gramma!” Hyomi cried, running to give her grandmother a hug. “What are you doing here?”

“HI sweetie. My, it’s good to see you!” her grandmother said. Noticing Hyomi’s puzzled expression, she added, “Did you forget about the conference your mother’s attending in Jeju Island?”

“Oh yeah, I remember now. But doesn’t it start tomorrow?” Her grandmother pulled out a tray of chocolate chip cookies from the oven. “She decided to go down a day early and wanted me to be here when you got home from your camping trip. But I didn’t expect you until this evening.”

Hyomi took a cartoon of milk from the refrigerator and poured herself a tall glass. “The weather wasn’t all that great. I guess we should have gone earlier in the year, before it got so hot and sticky.” Piling a handful of warm cookies on a napkin. Hyomi sat down at the kitchen table. “These are great, as usual.” She said, popping a cookie into . It was always nice to see her grandmother , but now she’d have to wait until her mother came home to find out if Mr Kim had succeeded in inviting her to dinner.

“I’m glad your mom could get away for a day of relaxation before that big convention starts.” Her grandmother said. “And I really like that nice Mr. Kim she went with. They seem to enjoy each other’s company.”

Hyomi choked on her cookie. There had to be some mistake! Her mother couldn’t have gone off to JeJu Island with Mr. Kim! “You’re sure the man’s name was Mr. Dongwoon Kim?”

“Yes, dear. I’m sure. He seemed like a delightful man and it’s nice that your mother didn’t have to drive all by herself.”  “Excuse me, Gramma!” Hyomi grabbed another cookie and dashed out of the kitchen and up the stairs to her bedroom. Her first impulse was to call Jaejoong but since she was so mad at him, she decided to phone Sun Mi instead.

When her friend answered, Hyomi didn’t even say hello. “Sun Mi, this is really serious.” She wailed. “Gramma’s here and she says mom went to Jeju isand with Mr. Kim!” Sun Mi gasped. “You don’t think…..”

“That’s exactly what I am thinking.” Hyomi collapsed on the bed. “I’m afraid they ran off to get married! Oh, Sun Mi! I’ve got to stop them!” “It might be too late.” Sun Mi said. “But I have to try.” Hyomi’s stomach tightened in panic. “I’m going to Jeju island to find them. Can you get the car and drive me?”

“sorry, but I can’t. I’d like to, but my folks and I are going to my uncle’s. We’re just about to leave.” “Can’t you get out of it?” Hyomi pleaded. “No way. It’s a family celebration for my aunt’s birthday.” Then she added. “Why don’t you call Jaejoong? Maybe he could drive you.”

“Jaejoong? You’ve got t be kidding!” Hyomi exclaimed. “I’d rather die!”

“Try to forget about wha happened. Fro the moment anyway.” Sun Mi suggested. “Jaejoong has a car and he’ll be probably be just as upset as you are.” Reluctantly, Hyomi said, “I guess you’re right.” “I’ve got to go.” Sun Mi said. “Call him okay?”

When she hung up, Hyomi started at the phone a long time. She hated the thought of calling Jaeoong, and she hated the thought of riding to Jeju island with him even more. But how else could she get there?

Before dialing his number, Hyomi called her mother’s hotel but there was no listing for either Mrs. Park or a Mr. Kim. She groaned. Maybe they’d registered under fake names so she and Jaejoong couldn’t track them down!

Hyomi gave up, realizing that she couldn’t handle this alone. Gritting her teeth, she phoned Jaejoong. She wasn’t surprised by the wariness in his voice. “Oh, so now you’ve decided to speak to me again.” He said. “Are you going to let me know what’s wrong?”

Hyomi ignored his question. “This is an emergency.” “oh sure!” Jaejoong scoffed. Hyomi took a deep breath. “I think our parents might have gone off to get married!” “What?!” Jaejoong yelled. “Where did you get that dumb idea?” “We’ll see how dumb it is. Did your dad go out of town today?” “Yeah, on a business trip.” “Well, he went to Jeju island with my mother!” Hyomi’s voice rose, but she couldn’t seem to control it.

“Your mom tagged along with my dad?” Jaejoong sounded outraged. “She has a lot of nerve!”

“My mother has a conference in Jeju island. It was your father who tagged along with her!” Hyomi shouted. “What if they’ve run away to get married?”

There was a silence on Jaejoong’s end of the line. Finally he asked, “Do you really think they did?” “I hope not, but I’m going to try and find them.”

“Wait for me! I’ll drive.” Jaejoong said promptly. Before she could respond, he hung up. After hanging up the phone, Hyomi changed her clothes and added a touch of make-up and wondering why she bothered. Then she hurried downstairs to tell her grandmother that she and Jaejoong were going out for a while.