Keys

His and Hers

Chapter eleven - Keys

“Want some popcorn?” he asked as they stepped into the lobby. Hyomi nodded. She loved popcorn at the movies. When they entered the theater, the previews were in progress, so they found seats halfway down. “This okay?” Jaejoong whispered as he led the way to the center seats. Hyomi sat next to him and put her sweater across her lap.

Jaejoong balanced the large tub of popcorn on the arm seat, steadying it with his hand. Hyomi could feel his arm touching hers, and a tingle ran through her. She shook her head. This wouldn’t do at all!

When the main feature started, Hyomi was glad they’d decided on a comedy. She certainly didn’t want to see a lot of romantic stuff sitting next to Jaejoong. The plot of the movie involved a funny mix-up of several couples. Soon both Hyomi and Jaejoong were laughing, and Hyomi no longer felt self-conscious. But she was starting to feel cold. Why did they have always to keep movie theaters so freezing? She shivered a little.

Jaejoong whispered, “Are you cold?” He trailed his finger along her arm. “You’ve got goose bumps.” Hyomi shivered again, but not because she was chilly. Jaejoong leaned closer. “Do you need help with your sweater?” he asked.

His hair brushed her cheek, and Hyomi’s pulse raced. She nodded, hoping he didn’t know the effect he was having on her. Jaejoong took her bulky pullover sweater and tried to help. But as he pulled it over her head, Hyomi realized he’d gotten it off center. Her head was stuck in an armhole! With one arm already in a sleeve, and Jaejoong tugging on the sweater, Hyomi felt like she was on a straitjacket. Giggling, she gasped. “I’m stuck! Help me take it off!”

“What? I can’t understand you.” Jaejoong kept pulling and Hyomi giggled even harder.

“Will you two settle down?” Someone whispered from behind them. Hyomi finally struggled out of the sweater by herself and started all over. Without Jaejoong’s help this time, she got her arms in the sleeves and quickly popped her head out of the neck opening. The stricken look on Jaejoong’s face sent Hyomi into another wave of laughter, and she clapped her hand over to keep it back. Jaejoong began to laugh, too.

 

“Quiet!” the voice behind them hissed angrily. They swallowed their giggles, and Hyomi willed herself not to look at Jaejoong for fear she’d burst out laughing again. For the next hour, Hyomi spent more time watching Jaejoong’s hand than the screen.

First he moved it to his half of the armrest. Then he inched it over closer to where her own hand lay just below his on her knee. Was he going to hold her hand? If he did, what would she do? Did she really want to hold hands with Jaejoong? To her own amazement, Hyomi decided that she did. But Jaejoong didn’t touch her at all, and she was oddly disappointed.

They walked out of the theater after the movie was over. “It was really good.” Hyomi said but she had to admit that she hadn’t paid much attention to the film. “Yeah, great.” Jaejoong agreed. “Listen, we need to talk. Want to get a soda and some pizza?” “I’d love to.” Hyomi said then wondered if she sounded too eager.

“Did you drive?”

“No—my friend Sun Mi dropped me off.”

“Then, we’ll take my car.” Jaejoong said. “It’s at the back of the lot.” Jaejoong pointed off to the left, and started making their way through the parked cars. “You like pepperonie on your pizza?”

“Actually, I prefer mushrooms.” Hyomi admitted. Jaejoong grimaced. “We’ll order it by the slice, then.”

When they reached his cars,Jaejoong fished in his jeans pocket for the keys. Frowning, he dug in another pocket and then anoter, mumbling, “Where the heck….?” Hyomi happened to glanced through the car window. “Uh- Jaejoong,” She said softly. “I think we have a problem.” There, in the ignition, were the keys.

-------------- =

Sorry for the short chapter. I’ll get back and update soon. I just want to tease you guys.