Just this once

His and Hers

Chapter 4

The following Thursday, Hyomi came home from school after a Student Council meeting. Turning her key in the lock, she opened the door and called, “Mom! I’m home and I’m starved!”

When there was no answer, she dumped her books in the hall and headed for the kitchen. On the table, Hyomi spied a note propped up on the basket of silk tulips that served as a spring centerpiece. As she read the words, her heart fell.

Hyomi:

Catching an early movie with Mr. Kim. Won’t be late. Dinner in the oven.

Love,Mom

“Again?” Hyomi said aloud as she wadded up the note and tossed it in the trash can. Why couldn’t Jaejoong’s dad leave her mom alone? Taking the meat loaf and vegetables out of the oven, Hyomi set it on the table and found the salad her mom had left in the refrigerator. She served herself, then began shoving the food around on her plate. Somehow she wasn’t very hungry anymore. It was no fun eating alone.

Absentmindedly, she scratched her head, thinking about what her mother had said last week: “I’m just having dinner with him on Thursday night.” Yeah right, Hyomi thought. And a second dinner on Saturday night, and several phone calls over the weekend. Mr. Kim was monopolizing all of her mom’s free time. But Hyomi had to admit that her mom seemed awfully happy lately.

Several times she’d heard her singing—something her mom hadn’t done since Hyomi’s father died. Dating did seem to lift her mom’s spirit. And any man would take up a lot of time. But she’d feel a whole lot better about it if the man wasn’t Kim Jaejoong’s dad.

“Come on, Mimi.” She called to the dachshund who pranced her heels. “You’ll just have to help me think harder to find some other eligible men. I have to replace Mr. Kim as soon as possible, before mom starts getting serious bout him.” *Note, Mimi is her pet*

The next afternoon, Hyomi came straight home from school alone. She didn’t have a student council meeting and Sun Mi had gone to her modeling class. As Hyomi came in the door, her mom called down from her bedroom. Surprised, Hyomi went up stairs. “Mom! What are you doing home so early? You’re not sick are you?”

She found her mom sitting on the bed surrounded by department store bags. “No, I’m just fine.” She said. “I had to pick up some papers and it was too late to go back to the office so I decided to do some shopping.”

“I noticed. What did you do, buy out the store?” Hyomi asked with a smile.

Laughing, Mrs. Parl opened a bag and pulled out a soft jersey dress in a muted raspberry color. “What do you think?” she asked. “I love it! It’s so different than those suits you always wear to the office.” “How about the color?” “It’s perfect for you. Hold it up!” Mrs. Park stood up and held the dress against herself.

“I haven’t thought anything like this since…” Her voice trailed off. “since dad died,” Hyomi finished for her. “I know. It’s bout time you had something pretty.”  She watched the glow return to her mom’s face. The raspberry color was very becoming to her, and Hyomi liked the softness of the style. “What else did you get?”

“Maybe I overdid it, but I haven’t shopped in such a long time, and I just couldn’t decide which to put back.” Mrs. Park confessed. She spread out two pairs of slacks, a frilly top and another dress. Then she reached for the last bag. “This might have been a splurge, but I couldn’t resist it.”

Hyomi gasped at the floral dress her mom took out of the bag. She couldn’t picture her wearing such a youthful style.

“Well, I guess it isn’t right for me.” Hyomi’s mom said, seeing her daughter’s expression. “oh no!” Hyomi said quickly. “it’s lovely, mom. I was just surprised because it’s so…”

“Young, I know.” Her mom sighed as she folded the dress and started to put it back in the bag. “But it made me feel so good when I tried it on.” “Then you should keep it.” Hyomi told her taking the dress from her. “You’ll look terrific in it when you go out somewhere fancy.” Hyomi stopped. Of course, that’s why her mom had bought all these new clothes! She’d bought them to wear when she went out with Mr. Kim. Hyomi forced a smile. “I’ll just hang it up for you.”

“Thanks, honey.” Mrs. Park hugged her. “I’ll hang up the rest. Then I’ll start dinner.”

On her way out of the bedroom. Hyomi felt confused. She was happy for her mom , but she felt sad, too. Things were definitely changing in their lives, and there didn’t seem to be anything Hyomi could do about it.

“Hyomi.” Her mom called. “I need to talk to you.” Trying to keep her expression blank. Hyomi came in from the hall and sat down at the kitchen table. Her mom sat in the chair opposite her. “This is a lot to ask,honey but would you mind terribly if I went on a picnic tomorrow with Mr. Kim?”

“But tomorrow is Sunday!” Hyomi cried. “Sundays belongs to the two of us!” Hyomi and her mom always spent Sundays together. They usually planned something special, but the important thing was that they were together. Now her mom wanted to break their tradition and go out with Mr. Kim again. Hyomi felt crushed.

“It’s his company picnic and…. And he wants me to meet the people from his office” Mrs. Park said. “but if it really bothers you I’ll tell him I can’t go.” She added quickly. Hyomi sighed. “No—go ahead. I’ll find something to do. But I hope its just this once.” Hyomi saw her mom’s face light up, and Hyomi realized again how happy her mom seemed lately.

Shaking her head,  she got up and started out of the kitchen.