My treat

His and Hers

Chapter 16 – My treat

To her surprise, a slow smile crossed Jaejoong’s face. “I did gave yunho a copy of a test last week. Now don’t get all icy on me again. Let me explain.” Hyomi waited, wondering what kind of an explanation he’d come up with. He took her hand. “Yunho and I had a test for baseball on Friday. The coach wanted to make sure we knew all the rules inside and out and he passed out the questions so we’d know what to study. I just gave Yunho my sample copy to look over.”

Hyomi caught her breath. “You mean.. oh..I feel so stupid!” She had neve wanted to believe that Jaejoong was capable of cheating. Now she’d made a fool of herself. she wanted to slide under the table and hide. “I thought it was happening all over again.” She whispered.

“What was happening?” Jaejoong asked. When he insisted, Hyomi told him about the cheating episode with the football player.

“No wonder you were all bent out of shape.”  He said when she had finished. “Honest, Hyomi. I’m not like him.”

Too embarrassed to meet his gaze, Hyomi looked away.

--

Dropping onto a bench, they tried to decide what to do next. “Since this is going to take longer than I thought. I’d better call gramma and tell her where we are. She probably thinks we’re at a movie in a mall or something.” Hyomi said.

At a much slower speed, Hyomi and Jaejoong traced their steps to the Café du Monde and found a phone booth. After Hyomi made her call, she rejoined Jaejoong, shaking her head. “Mom called about an hour ago. She’s delighted we went out together!” Hyomi rolled her eyes.

“Did she say anything about changing hotels?” Jaejoong asked. Hyomi sighed. “Not a word. Let’s go back to the Royal Sonesta (the hotel)” she suggested. “That’s where mom was supposed to be.” “How about if we get something else to eat first? I’m starving.” Jaejoong announced. “Everything around here costs about a month’s worth of allowance. Why don’t we find some fast food outside?”

“Okay, but let’s hurry. We’ve got to get back and try to find them.” Hyomi looked out the window. “I just hope we’re not too late.” She whispered.

When they found a hamburger place and went inside, Hyomi realized she had no idea if she had enough money. Turning her back to Jaejoong, she pulled out her wallet to see what she could afford to order. It didn’t look like it was going to be much, so she ordered a small hamburger.

Jaejoong was surprised. “No frieds, no drinks?” “That is fine.” Hyomi assured him. “I’m kind of short on cash.”

“Hey, I’ll buy.” He offered. “No.” she shook her head, “You paid for my beignets.” Jaejoong told her to find a table while he waited for their orders. When he joined her, Hyomi saw that he had gotten two double cheeseburgers, two fries and two large sodas. He put one of each in front of her, Hyomi started to protest but Jaejoong just said. “My treat, okay?”

Hyomi smiled. “okay, thanks!”

They ate in silence. Just before they were ready to go, Hyomi said. “Jaejoong, tell me something.” She hesitated, wondering if she should go on , then decided she might as well. “Why do all the guys call you ‘Joongie’?” Jaejoong grinned at her. “Why? Don’t you like it?”

“Well.. it’s just that—it makes you sound..” Hyomi floundered. “Dorky?” Jaejoong suggested. “I hate it too.” He started laughing. Hyomi said, “Well then, why..?”

“Jake started calling me Joongie after we first started playing football back in grade school. It just sort of caught on, and I never did anything bout it. Maybe it’s time I did.” Hyomi laughed too. “I think maybe you’re right. Jaejoong’s really a very nice name.”

“Thanks.” Jaejoong said, “Okay, Slave driver. Now that we’ve satisfied the old appetite, we can get back to tracing our problem parents.”

“Let’s check the Royal Sonesta one more time.” Hyomi said. “Maybe mom had checked in by now.”

They got into the car and headed back. When they reached the hotel, Hyomi went inside again. She discovered that a new desk clerk had come on duty. Giving him her mother’s name , she watched him call up the computer listings. “No one registered by that name, miss.”

Hyomi swallowed hard. “Try Dongwoon then.” She crossed her fingers, hoping her mother wasn’t registered under Mr. Dongwoon’s name. that could only mean one thing…married.

“Nothing there either.” The desk clerk leaned forward and spoke in a fatherly manner. “Honey, are you sure your mother was planning to stay here?” “Yes—she’s attending the convention that starts tomorrow.” His face lit up. “Then she might be listed under the company.”

Hyomi hadn’t thought of that. She gave him the name of her mom’s company and he turned back to the computer. “Here it is—I have a Park listed.”

“Is it single or double?” Hyomi asked anxiously. “A single. She’s all checked in.”

“oh, thank you sir! Thank you so much.” Hyomi exclaimed. She raced out of the hotel, almost knocking over a bellboy coming in with a cart full of luggage.

Seeing Jaejoong double-parked in front of the hotel, she ran over to him. “I found mom’s registration!” She shouted. “Are she and my dad there?” he asked. “I’ll try to find out while you get a parking place.”

 

--

Guys! I'm going to start a new fanfic with Aira after this. Here's the link -- > http://www.asianfanfics.com/index.php/story/view/2243/love-on-wheels-you
Please vote for the boy main character. Please do leave a comment of your choice.