I hate eating alone

His and Hers

Chapter 7

When the phone rang the next night, Hyomi answered it and heard Mr. Kim asking for her mom. “Oh, hello, Mr. Jung.” She said brightly. “mom’s at a meeting tonight.” She was glad that her mom was really out.

“Err..” Mr. Kim hesitated. “This is Mr. Kim, not Mr. Jung. Will you please tell her I called?” “I’ll leave her a note.” Hyomi said in her sweetest voice. As soon as she hung up, she scribbled the message and then dropped the note into a drawer in the table. For a moment she cringed at doing something so sneaky, but then she decided it was okay to be sneaky for a good cause.

Mrs. Park got home late, and Hyomi made sure she was in bed so her mom wouldn’t ask her if anyone had called. She smiled. Mr. Kim sure had seemed surprised when she’d mentioned Mr. Jung’s name. she couldn’t wait to tell Jaejoong what she’d done.

The next day, she met him in front of her English classroom. For once he wasn’t with Yunho. “Any new developments?” he asked. Surprised that Jaejoong had actually been the first to speak. Hyomi told him about his father’s phone about last night. “But we’re going to have to come up with a lot more than that.” She added.

“Yeah. My dad has two tickets to some play on his dresser. He’s probably planning to ask your mom. He’s bound to get hold of her sooner or later.”

“If we can just slow things down a little. It will help.” Hyomi said. “At least until I can find her someone else.”

Jaejoong frowned. “What’s wrong with my dad? Why do you want to get rid of him so badly?” “Well. I….” Hyomi couldn’t tell Jaejoong it was because she didn’t want her mom dating the father of a dumb, stuck-up athlete. Actually, Jaejoong wasn’t acting that stuck-up now, and she was beginning to think he wasn’t dumb at all.

“Never mind.” He said before she could come up with a suitable response. “I don’t want her in my dad’s life , either. We manage just fine all by ourselves.” Hyomi stuck out her hand. “Fine. Then we’re partners.”

 

Jaejoong looked at her hand a moment before he shook it. “Just keep making more plans.” He said, then walked away down the hall. Hyomi stared at her hand. She was glad Jaejoong had sealed the bargain, but she hadn’t been prepared for the tingle she’d felt when he took her hand. “No way.” She muttered as she entered the classroom. She wasn’t getting all gaga over some jock, especially not Kim Jaejoong.

The night Hyomi asked her mom to go to the movies with her on Friday night. Mrs. Park was both pleased abnd surprised. “That sounds nice. But why don’t you usually do the movie thing with Sun mi?” “Well,yeah but I thought maybe you and I could do something—just the two of us.”

Hyomi certainly didn’t want her mom including Mr. Kim. “WE haven’t done anything together for a long time.” “Well… I was going to a concert with Mr. Kim” Mrs. Park hesitated. “But I’m sure that he will understand if I explain how important it is to you.” “That’s great Mom!” Hyomi threw her arms around her mom and gave her a big hug. It had worked! She’d actually put a stop to a date with Mr. Kim. Now she had to think of more things to do.

During the next 2 weeks, Hyomi spent every available minute with her mom. She dragged her to the mall on shopping sprees and talked her into taking long walks and bike rides in the park. Hyomi even treated her mom to dinner at a local restaurant. And she made regular reports to Jaejoong who seemed to be doing a pretty good job of keeping his father busy, too.

By the end of those two weeks, Mrs. Park and Hyomi were exhausted. Hyomi was falling behind her homework, and she felt guilty when Sun Mi complained that they never saw each other anymore. And in spite of everything, her plan wasn’t a complete success.

AS they were having breakfast, Mrs. Park told Hyomi that she planned to go to a play with Mr. Kim that night. Drat! Hyomi thought. “But we were having such a good time together.” She said. “We’ve had a wonderful time.” Mrs. Park said with a smile. “But we’re not twins, you know. You need to be with your friends and I need some time with mine, too.” “but mom….” “We’ll still do things.” Her mother assured her. “Just not every night.”

When her mom had left for work, Hyomi grabbed her books and raced to Sun Mi’s house. She found her friend in the kitchen finishing her breakfast. “You’re early.” Sun Mi said as she drank her orange juice.

“I know. Can we leave now? I need to talk to Jaejoong  before school.”

Raising one eyebrow, Sun Mi gave Hyomi a knowing look. “You’ve been doing an awful lot of talking to Jaejoong lately.” “you know what it’s about.” Sun Mi nodded. “But the rest of the kids at school don’t. Everyone’s buzzing about the two of you. They think you’ve got something going.”

Hyomi’s mouth dropped open. Could the kids really be pairing them up as a couple? “Why didn’t you tell me?” “I tried several times.” Sun mi said as she gathered up her books. “But I haven’t seen much of you since you decided on all this togetherness with your mom.” Hyomi sighed. “I’m sorry. But I can’t imagine people thinking that Jaejoong and I…” “Well they are.”

They left the house and started walking to school.

When they reached the school. Hyomi said. “I’m going to find Jaejoong. See you at lunch.” As she walked quickly down the corridor she saw Jaejoong ahead, taking some books out of his locker and talking to Yunho. Why does Yunho always have to be hanging around? She thought.

Yunho winked when he saw her and leaned against the locker. “Here’s your girlfriend, Joongie.” Jaejoong glared at his friend. “I’ll see you in class.” He said. With a grin, Yunho ambled off down the hall and Jaejoong turned to Hyomi. “What’s up?”

“I’ve been keeping my mom busy, but I can’t do it anymore.” Hyomi said. “She wants some space”  He shrugged. “It’s nice while it lasted. Dad’s actually been home at night. We’ve even eaten dinner together for a change.” Hyomi smiled. “So have mom and i. I hate eating by myself.” “Me,too.” He said. “Maybe we should have gotten together. I mean, so we didn’t have to eat alone.” He added quickly. (Shy..isn’t he? I’m so bad making him so shy like that.)

“I guess we’re lucky we haven’t suggested we all go out to dinner together like one big happy family.” Jaejoong grimaced. “My dad’s already mentioned that. He just hasn’t said anything to your mom yet.” Just then the bell rang, and Jaejoong slammed his locker shut. “Where’s your homeroom?"

“Over in B wing.” “come on. Let’s get going, I’m heading that way too.”

Hyomi noticed several students eyeing them as they walked to the other side o the building. She was sure the kids were speculating on how her ‘romance’ with Jaejoong was going. Some romance. She thought.

“Well, see you.” Jaejoong said as he left her at her homeroom. “Keep me posted and I’ll let you know if anything develops on this end.”

Hyomi watched him walk away, Jaejoong seemed to be enjoying their consultations and she had to admit that she was, too.