What?!

His and Hers

Chapter one

 

Park Hyomi hurried through the halls, dying to get out and head home. The afternoon had been a total disaster. She ran a hand through her long curly hair and nearly bumped into Narsha, her chemistry lab partner. Trying to forget about her problem for a moment, Hyomi smiled at the dark-haired girl. “Sure is warm out there today,” she said.

Narsha fell in step beside her. “I just wish that it won’t get TOO hot.” “Sometimes I’m tempted to head for Alaska.” Hyomi added, laughing. 

As two girls parted in the crowded hallway, Hyomi waved to several other kids in her class. She thought that the best part of being junior class president was meeting so many people.

 

Usually she would linger after school and talk with classmates she knew. But todaywas different. She had to get out of school- and fast!

 

It had all started after lunch. During fourth period, a dozen people must have asked if her mother was really dating Jaejoong’s father. Hyomi scowled at the memory. If it was true, why hadn’t her mom told her? How could she keep something like this from her only  child?

Evidently Jaejoong had been griping to the entire basketball team about his dad dating her mom, and the time wasted no time spreading it around.  How embarrassing! Hyomi thought dismally.

Just before she stepped out the front doors, someone tapped her on the shoulder. Hyomi turned to see a boy in a green letterman jacket. He grinned and raised an eyebrow, “Hey, Hyomi, Jaejoong said his dad has a date with your mom! Is that true?”

That was the last straw. “NO!” Hyomi shouted. “And I’m sick and tired of hearing about it!” Then she spun around and hurried out the door. It had been like this all afternoon. If her mother had to start seeing somebody, why did it have to be an athlete’s dad? She totally hated dumb, boring athletes, especially that jerk, Jaejoong!

 

She began to run home, then slowed her pace to jog for the last few blocks. Once she reached her house, she dashed up the stairs to her bedroom, dropping her books on the way. Flopping down on the bed, she sighed.  ‘if it’s true, why didn’t mom tell me? Why did I have to hear about it from all the kids at school?’ she thought miserably.

At that moment, she needed comfort. When Hyomi’s father had died, she and her mother had suffered. But they had learned to be happy again and now her mother was going to spoil everything by dating. Hyomi rolled over. She’d known her mom would probably want to start dating one of these days, but why did she have to pick a classmate’s father?

A short while later, Hyomi heard her mother come home from work. She heard her walk up the stairs and knock softly on her door. “May I come in?” her mother asked from the doorway.

Kari took a deep breath,forcing herself to remain calm. “Come on in.” she said. “Is anything wrong? I picked up your books- they were all over the stairway. You’re not sick, are you?” Her mother asked as she entered the room and put the pile of books on Hyomi’s desk. “Mom,there’s something I have to know.” Hyomi blurted out. “Are you dating Kim Jaejoong’s father?”

 

Mrs. Park looked puzzled, and for a moment Hyomi hoped that it was all a silly rumor. Then her mother pushed aside some discarded clothing and sat down in the chair next to Hyomi’s bed.

 

“As a matter of fact, I’m going out with him on Thursday night,” She admitted.

 

Hyomi’s heart sank. It was true. Tears began welling up in her eyes, and she willed them to stay back. “Why didn’t you tell me? Everyone at school knew. Why did I have to be the last to find out?”

Her mother let out a long sigh. “I’m so sorry Hyomi. I was going to tell you tonight. I’m surprised that anyone else knew about it- I didn’t think it was such a big thing.” “Well, it is a big thing. It’s terrible!” Kari said angrily. “honey, I’m just having dinner with him-“ “I thought we were a happy family,” Hyomi interrupted. “Why do you have to start dating?” She realized how selfish she must sound, but she was afraid that things were going to change.

A date would be just the beginning. What if her mother decided to get married again? “I don’t want anyone to take Dad’s place! You know I love dad so much!” She added miserably.

“Oh, Hyomi.” Brushing her hair away from her face, her mom put her arms around her daughter. “”NO one could ever take Dad’s place, you know that. And I’m happy with you. Hyomi, I couldn’t have survived these past four years without you. We need each other. But lately I’ve been thinking that it’s time I started developing a social life of my own. You know, in less than two years you’ll off to college and I’ll be here alone.”

 

A wave of guilt washed over Hyomi. “Oh, mom I’m sorry.” She said. How could she be so thoughtless of her mother’s feelings? Still, she hated the idea of her mom dating Jaejoong’s father. “I didn’t mean you shouldn’t have friends. But couldn’t you go out with somebody else?”

“What’s wrong with him?” Her mom asked. “Well, to begin with, his son goes to my school and he’s a real jerk.” Her mom looked surprised. “Really? I heard Jaejoong was somewhat of a star in every sport.” “He’s just a dumb jock, but a lot of the girls act like he’s some kind of Greek God.” Hyomi said, frowning.

“Just give him a chance. Maybe if you got to know him…”  “I don’t want to know him! He’s so stuck on himself that he doesn’t even talk to anyone except his dorky jock friends.” Her mom sighed.  “how about Mr. Soo Man down at the neighborhood? He doesn’t have a wife and he’s good looking.” Hyomi suggested.

Laughing, her mother shook her head. “Now don’t turn into a matchmaker on me! I can handle my own social life.”

Not if all you can dig up is Jaejoong’s dad, Hyomi thought.

“Regardless of what his son is like,” Her mom continued, “Mr. Kim is very nice- and after all, we’re just going to have dinner.”   “How did you meet him anyway?”

“he’s  a client my company does business with.” Mrs. Park stood up and started for the door. “Now I’m going to make us an early dinner. I have a meeting tonight.” Pausing in the doorway, she added. “Hyomi, this isn’t going to spoil things for us, I promise.”

“Don’t bother making dinner for me.” Hyomi said. “I’m going to eat at Wendy’s. We’ve got two impossible math problems to finish before tomorrow’s trig class.” “All right. But don’t stay too late. It’s a school night. Remember.”

When her mom had left the room, Hyomi hopped off the bed. She felt a little better, but not much . She’d probably feel a lot better after she shared this catastrophe with Sun Mi, her best friend.

 

At Sun mi’s house. Taking the stairs two at a time, Hyomi burst into her best friend’s room. Sun Mi was sitting on the bed, watching performances of the new hottest Korean pop idol groups. “Argh!” Sun mi screeched. “You scared me out of an inch of growth!” Hyomi laughed. “We can’t let that happen or you’ll shrink away at nothing.”

 

Sun mi was only five feet tall, a good six inches shorter than Hyomi.

 

“Did you figure out the trig problems?” Sun Mi asked. Hyomi shook her head. “I decided we’d better attack them together. But first I have to tell you about the disaster at home.” Sun mi’s eyes widened. “What happened?”  “You mean you haven’t heard? I thought the whole school knew!” “I haven’t heard a thing.” Sun mi said. “What is it?”

“It’s terrible! That’s what! My mo is going out with Jaejoong’s dad!” “You’ve got to be kidding!” Sun mi exclaimed. “Is he as cute as JaejoonG?”

“Come on sun mi! Jaejoong may be nice looking, but you know what those jocks are like. Anybody whose friends call him ‘Joongie’ can’t be very bright. And he’s so stuck up.” Sunmi wrinkled her nose. “That nickname is kind of stupid. But maybe Jaejoong isn’t.” Sun Mi groaned. “Now you’re sounding like my mother.”

Sun mi gave her a mischievous look. “I just don’t understand how Jaejoong can be so good in every single sport. Don’t you think it might be interesting to date THE KIM JAEJOONG?”  “Come on Sun mi! I wouldn’t date Jaejoong if he begged me. Besides I don’t even know him.”

“Is he in any of your classes?”  Hyomi nodded. “Yeah, we have chemistry together. But he sits in the back of the room with the other sport goons, and he never answers any questions or anything.”

After a short break for dinner, Hyomi and Sun mi finished their trigonometry homework. Hyomi enjoyed working with Sun Mi – they could actually study together and get something done. The time had passed quickly, and glancing at her watch, Hyomi saw that it was half past nine.

“I have to go,” She told Sun Mi. “I promised Mom I wouldn’t  be late”  Sun Mi yawned. “I guess that’s enough studying for me, too. Just remember what I said about Jaejoong. Try to be nice.”  “I’ll think about it.” Hyomi said as she gathered up her belongings. “That sounds like, ‘No I won’t’ to me.” Hyomi frowned. “Sorry, but I can’t see myself getting all friendly with him.” “At least say hi,” Sun mi urged. “Who knows? Maybe he’ll get his buddies to quit making cracks about your mom and his dad.”

“I guess I could speak to him. Anything to get those guys off my case.” Hyomi said. “I’m not sure I could stand another day like today.”

When she arrived home, the house was empty. Her mom was still at her meeting. ‘When mom starts dating, there might be a lot of nights like this’ Hyomi thought. She didn’t like that idea at all.

 

--

Comments are really really appreciated.