Tired?

His and Hers

Chapter 17 – Tired?

Hyomi hurried back into the hotel and located the house phone. “Please be here.” She whispered. But after the phone had rung ten times, she reluctantly hung up. A few minutes later, Jaejoong come into the lobby. “Any luck?” he asked. Hyomi shook her head. “No one’s in the room. We’ll just have to stay here and wait for them.”

“That could take all night.” He sank down into one of the lobby couches. Hyomi sat down beside him. “If only they haven’t gotten married.” She sighed. “I just can’t believe my dad would do anything as stupid as that.” Jaejoong mumbled.

She jerked upright, eyes blazing. “Marrying my mom would not be stupid! The really stupid thing was her getting involved with your dad in the first place!” Jaejoong glared at her. “You’ve really got things mixed up.” “You bet I did. I came here with you, didn’t i?” Hyomi snapped. Jumping up from the couch, she marched over to the main entrance and stood with her back to Jaejoong. And she would be stuck with him for a long time—they still had to ride home together. But after that, Hyomi promised herself she’s ignore him for life!

Half an hour later, she picked up the house phone and called her mother’s room again. There was still no answer. On her way back to the door, she ganced into the lounge—and stopped short. There at a small table sat her mom, laughing at something Mr. Kim was saying.

Hyomi raced over to them. “Mom! How can you just sit here laughing when we’ve spent the whole day looking for you?” Mrs. Park and Mr. Kim looked up at her in amazement. “Hyomi, what on earth are you doing here?” Her mother said.

“we came to find you. And stop you!” Hyomi announced, just as Jaejoong came into the lounge. “Dad! You didn’t do it, did you?” he asked his father. Mr. Kim stared from Hyomi to Jaejoong, obviously confued. “Do what? What are you talking about, son?” “You didn’t marry her, did you? We don’t need her! She’ll just leave like—“ Jaejoong broke off.

“Where did you get that idea?” His father asked incredulously. “Well, we thought—“ Hyomi interruped. “You ran off together. We were afraid you might be up to something—like marriage.” “We didn’t want you to do anything dumb.” Jaejoong added, slumping into a chair next to his father. “Hyomi, sit down.” Mrs. Park said sternly, pointing to the chair next to her. Hyomi sat. “We did not ‘run off’ and there was never any question of marriage. You knew I was going to the convention.”

“Yes, but not with him.” Hyomi said, frowning. “That’s enough. Mr. Kim simply came with me so we could enjoy a day. He’s going on a business trip tonight.” Mr. Kim held up his right hand. “On my honor as a former Boy Scout. I fly to Seoul at nine o’clock.” He said sonlemnly.

“Now about this marriage nonsense…” Mrs. Park began. She and Mr. Park explained how they felt about each other. In turn, Jaejoong and Hyomi told their parents how strongly they objected to their relationship

“I knew our friendship had upset you.” Mrs. Park said when Hyomi had finished. “but I had no idea how much. We’ll talk more about it when I get back from this convention.” She sighed. “Perhaps I have been seeing Dongwoon too often.”

An hour later, Hyomi and Jaejoong were on their way home. Hyomi say rigidly on her side of the front seat, thinking if she and Jaejoong had really succeeded in breaking up their parents’ romance, she wouldn’t have to see him anymore.

“Looks like your mission might be accomplished.” He said. Hyomi nodded, stifling a yawn. “I hope so.” Jaejoong glanced at her. “Tired? You can put your head on my shoulder if you like.” “No I’m fine.” Hyomi wasn’t going to rest her head on his shoulder, no matter how worn-out she was.

“It’s pretty exhausting, keeping up with parents, isn’t it?” Jaejoong murmured. And when he reached out and pulled her close to his, Hyomi didn’t resist.