Saved By Danger

My Genie, Woohyun // Bonus Chapter: 'Keyword' Added
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

▬ Chapter 10: Saved By Danger ▬

 

Minji walked in the hallways as usual but noticed something different about the people around her. They were livelier than how they typically were and all of them were excited. She raised an eyebrow as she wondered why all of them were so pumped up.

Woohyun happened to follow her that morning, invisible to others, of course, and detected Minji’s confused expression.

“Why are they all happy today?” he asked.

“Like I’m supposed to know?”

“Well, you do go to this school,” he replied bluntly as both of them sat down in the classroom. “It feels like a festival or something is going to happen soon.”

Minji shot up from her desk and thought of something. She looked at Woohyun who was chilling beside her on the other desk. “What day is today?” she asked.

“Monday?”

“No, the date.”

“I think it’s the fifteenth.”

“Of?”

“Of what? You only asked for the date.”

“Hey!”

“Aw, you look so cute when you’re angry,” he teased. “But it’s the 15th of September, why?”

Minji sighed and plopped back down on her chair. Her head was resting on both of her hands which were propped on the table. “I knew it.”

“Why are you so gloomy all of a sudden?” Woohyun moved his chair closer to her and asked, concerned.

“It’s that time of the year.” Before Woohyun could ask another question, Mr. Kim came in.

“Good morning, class. As most of you know, it’s that time of the year again.” The class cheered and Woohyun was still left puzzled while Minji shrunk lower in her seat. “It’s almost time for the school talent show and you know what that means: auditions!” Mr. Kim exclaimed.

The class cheered again and Woohyun now had a light bulb moment.

“So the auditions will be held next week. Check out the flyers in the bulletin to find out the exact dates. I hope there will be exciting auditions this year and good luck to all of you!”

 

Class ended longer than usual for Minji as the day dragged on. Woohyun knew why Minji was down today but he did not know why she was like that. He wondered what got her depressed to that extent.

It’s just a school festival, what could go wrong? He thought.

Minji sat in her most favorite spot during lunch, under the “Grandfather Tree,” and sighed again.

“Ah, I hate this time of the year.”

“Why? It’s just a school talent show, right?” Woohyun inquired as he sat beside her.

“It’s not just a talent show. Everyone has to do the audition.”

“Are you scared?” he teased. But he soon knew that he picked the wrong words when Minji grew silent. “Sorry. I shouldn’t have asked.”

“It’s fine,” she replied after a few minutes of silence. “And yes, I am scared.”

“Of what? Maybe I can help.”

“It’s just that for the auditions, I sing but when I go up on stage, I get frightened and I begin to stutter and lose my voice. I love to sing but I just can’t do it in front of people.”

“That’s where I come in,” Woohyun stood up and smiled.

“Huh?”

“Are you forgetting that I’m your genie?”

“But, I don’t want to waste my last two wishes on something so small and insignificant.” Minji sat up and stared at Woohyun.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter