Tryouts?

Bump! Set! Score!

 

               The first day of school was about to start again, summer passed by fast. This past summer I went to New York to visit my parents who have been working in the states because of the family business. Although they are in the states they did not leave me alone, my Oppa is still here to accompany me, and better yet he's like my appa never letting me out without telling him every detail. I grew up with Oppa being that we are only 5 years apart we are pretty close. Before he got married he would always tell him his problems with unni but now they are so lovey-dovey it makes me want to throw up. Oppa was 22 when he got married, I envied how he found the love of his life when he was only 18, and I want something like that too. Unni on the other hand didn't have any experience with guys until she met Oppa, it was like a fairy tale because she married her true love, and the only one she fell in love with.

                Back to me now, its early fall and everything returned to normal after vacationing in New York. I went to all the famous places like the Statue of Liberty, Empire State building, Soho and many more. I met friends there too, people are extremely friendly, a complete opposite from my old school. This year I transferred from A.S Academy to F.D High School located in Seoul because I did not like the environment at A.S it was so dull and people cared about nothing but themselves and money. I was bored of that life.

Stepping into the halls made me feel weird; everyone looked at me knowing that I was the new girl. The main reason why I transferred to F.D High School was because of my passion, volleyball. They had one of the best volleyball teams in Seoul and I want to test my skills to see where I can get. Try outs are tomorrow and well right now all I can think of is what to train on to make sure I make the team, so concentrated that I got lost in the school. Luckily the teacher's office was right in front of me. My day then began.

                First I went to class with my homeroom teacher and she introduced me to everyone. First day of class was actually pretty easy, no one did anything and people were nice. They all asked me why I transferred and so I told them that "The people at A.S Academy are kind of stuck up and I was tired of them" which I made them all laugh in agreement. Seems like I will like this High School a lot I thought to myself as I watched flocks of girls run towards two guys. The taller one was called Oh Sehun, the Captain of the boys volleyball team, he was so good that he got scouted before graduation to Seoul University to play for their team along with Lu Han the Co-captain. Unlike girls my age, I was not interested in relationship or boys at all. It seems too unrealistic to have a good relationship during high school, I mean how many of those couples actually last. I just walked passed them to go through the door so I can check out the school gym, it will be the place where I spend the most time from now on.

 

A week later

 

“GIRLS VOLLEYBALL TRYOUTS ARE GOING TO BE HELD TODAY AFTER SCHOOL IN THE GYM” was what a poster said right outside of my classroom. Trying out has been the talk among all the girls and guys lately because only those who are good can join and the best of those can be the starting 6. But here’s the catch, the Captain and Co-captain are still present and the both play setter and libero respectively which means that there are only 4 spots. Suddenly right before class started I was called out of class by the gym teacher. I thought to myself,

“Crap, did I do something wrong? Am I in trouble?”

Then the teacher introduced herself, as if I don’t know who she was. Her name was Kim Inhae the coach of the girls and boys volleyball team and also a retired pro-athlete volleyball player.

“I hope you are trying out this afternoon because I have heard a lot about you.”

“About me?” I asked puzzled.

“Yes, although this will be considered a fresh start for you I know you can make our team shine more. Due to last year’s graduates we are missing a strong outsider and well your record speaks for it all.”

“Thank you. I haven‘t really thought about being an outside hitter again but if chances allow I would like to take on the challenge. I guess I‘ll see you later Coach Kim, in the gym. Bye, class is about to start.” I said while running back to class, “Hey she seemed like a really nice coach” I thought to myself.

                The afternoon came when we had to try out. Surprisingly Sehun-shi and Luhan-shi was also present. Seems like they were the ones to give Coach some opinions about each of the girl’s abilities.

“~~~~, it’s your turn” coach Kim announced

“I want you to serve 5 balls all hitting the left corner first”

“Wait coach, isn’t that a bit unreasonable?” Sehun asked

“Yeah, I mean she’s new so how can she do that. Not even I can 100% place all 5 balls there” Luhan added

“No, if it’s her she can” interrupted Victoria, the captain of the team “she should be able to control it well.”

“Can I start?” I asked picking up the ball and going to the left corner

“Why would she stand all the way on the left side? Wouldn’t it make more sense to stand a bit in the middle so she has more of a chance to serve it in the court?” Sehun asked

“Most of the times girls serve cross court because straight down is hard, but just watch” Coach Kim added

“Yes, you may begin now ~~~~” Victoria answered

This was when I thought to myself why the left corner? I mean it’s considered pretty easy because it’s just a straight hit down the line but whatever. I threw the ball high up in the air, jumped and hit; the ball landed right on the line where the two outlines crossed, on the left corner of the court.

“Told you” Victoria said smiling at Sehun and Luhan who was amazed after the 4th serve the coach said “alright that’s enough, one more thing now. Victoria”

“Yes coach Kim. ~~~~ can you come over here and do some hitting drills. Sehun, go try and block her, if you can.” she teased

“Okay” I did as they said and hit the ball but Sehun blocked it

“HA! What was so hard about that” he laughed while giving a high five to Luhan

“~~~~!” Coach Kim yelled “give it your full strength, take it like a game”

“Yes,” I answered

“That wasn’t her full strength?” Luhan asked

“Watch.” Coach Kim answered

BAM, the ball when right pass Sehun and straight to the ground right before the ten foot line.

“Welcome to the team ~~~~.” Said the captain as soon as the ball hit the ground.