Work For Me

The Other Side of Cinderella

Allie’s POV

I wake up at my normal time to get Cecelia ready for school. Even though we are living at Myungsoo’s house now, I still want to be a major part of her life since I always was before and I’m concerned about Cecelia like forgetting about me, well not really forgetting about me, but more like just not seeing me around anymore. I told Myungsoo that I’d like to act as though Cecelia and I are doing our daily activities, although Myungsoo has already told me not to go to work, and he even called my job saying that I won’t be attending anymore and to not let me work. Exerting his power much?

I go to Cecelia’s room and wake her up. Yeah, and another thing, that spoiled brat forbids me to cook or do laundry. The only thing that Myungsoo calls work that I can do is getting Cecelia ready for school. Other than that, I can’t do anything. Myungsoo says it’s because he doesn’t want me to work and he wants me to relax while I can. I take it as him not wanting me to mess up his precious house.

After Myungsoo and I got home last night, it feels weird calling this place home; I didn’t see his parents come at all. They probably went away again, that’s what Myungsoo told me at least. I think that they should pay more attention to Myungsoo, and I can kind of see where he gets his personality from.

Cecelia and I sit in the dining room eating breakfast that the workers there so lovingly prepared for us. I’m still not used to this lifestyle; I don’t think I’ll ever get used to it. It’s just too different from what I’m used to. It’s not that I don’t necessarily like it; I just think that I should do at least some work since I used to do all of it at home. I feel guilty just sitting around here doing nothing. I should ask Myungsoo about it later.

I put Cecelia’s coat on her as we walk towards the door to leave and I see Myungsoo leaning up against the door wearing some black track suit swishy pants and a black sweatshirt and does he have his name monogrammed onto that shirt? If I’m not mistaken, I believe that it says L. Kim. Is L his nickname or was it his favorite letter of the alphabet when he was younger? I guess I’ll just call him spoiled brat and loser since it fits with his whole L concept.

“What are you doing?” I ask him trying to stifle my laugh about his sweatshirt.

He can see me trying to hide my laugh and he probably thinks that something’s wrong with me. “Is there something so funny?” he asks eyeing me.

“Nope,” I say. “It’s just…nah, forget it. What are you doing? I’m taking Cecelia to school.”

“I’m coming with you,” Myungsoo insists opening the door for us.

“Why would you want to come? Aren’t you getting ready for school at this time?”

“Remember, I told you I was taking the day off last night.”

Oh crap, I forgot all about that. That means that I have to spend another day with him. I was hoping to get some free time, but it looks like that’s not going to happen today. “Wait,” I say remembering something, “don’t you have exams coming up? You can’t just like not go to school, you have to study.”

“No I don’t,” he simply says as Cecelia and I get into the back of the car. He won’t even let me drive; he has the driver do it. Last night he said that driving was working and I wasn’t to move an inch, plus I think it’s so he can keep an eye on me. Why is he being so overprotective? I mean, it’s not like I’m going to try to run away from him.

“Well how about this,” I say with an idea suddenly popping into my head. “If you stay home, then I’m just going to tutor you, it’s like the same as going to school.” I see his face and it doesn’t look happy. I bet he wasn’t thinking of me saying that one. I bet he’s thinking about which one might possibly be better for him.

Ever since last night, when I cried in front of him…again, I vowed to myself afterwards that I’m not going to cry in front of him anymore. It’s just a simple promise that I made to myself because well, I’ve never cried in front of anyone before, that was the first time. Plus, I don’t want to make things go farther between us than they have to, so by returning back to my normal self, I just want Myungsoo and I to be friends. That’s it, nothing more.

 

Myungsoo’s POV

I watch Allie get Cecelia all ready for school as we’re in the car so that by the time we arrive, she can just go right in with the teacher. I think about what she said, though, either go to college or she’s going to be my teacher today. “Fine then, be my teacher for the day.”

I look at her as she sighs, she’s probably not happy about this, but I don’t really care. She’s supposed to help me pass my exams next week and because I have an inability to study and an inability to attempt to do well in school, having her tutor me doesn’t seem like a bad idea, especially if it’s in place of school.

Allie and I watch Cecelia as she enters the school with the teacher and we start going back before I finally say something. “Tutor me, then,” I state crossing my legs.

“What?” she asks.

“You said that it was either going to college or you tutoring me. I’d honestly want to listen to your lectures than my professors. You’re so much more entertaining.”

I’m going to mess with her now, ever since last night, she’s put up a cold front, that just gives me more to play with. I don’t know why she does that, though, I mean, she’s already told me practically everything about her, well, not that I even know the full story of anything, I just know bits and pieces. Even that, though, makes me want to stay with her longer and watch over. I can’t tell her, though, not while she has this cold front going on. I’m just going to have to get through it.

“So, are you going to tutor me today?” I slyly ask while looking at her. I watch her roll her eyes and I can’t help but laugh inside. “I take that as a yes then.”

“You know, you’re really stubborn,” Allie comments as we both get out of the car. “You won’t let me do anything. Why?”

“I have everything that you could ever want, why do you want to work?” I ask. Wait, I shouldn’t have said that, but it’s too late, it’s out of my mouth.

“There you go again,” she says as she angrily enters the house.

“Allie, I didn’t mean it,” I say going in after her. “So tutor me, please? Lectures are just going to bore me, I’d rather be taught things that I don’t know.”

“But you don’t know what’s going on in the lecture.”

“While that may be true, I don’t remember anything before the lecture either, it makes it harder.”

“And how am I supposed to know?” she asks.

“Because you’re the one who studies all of the time, you have to at least know something.”

We both stare at each other for a moment, neither of us moving from our position until she finally sighs. I think she’s given in. “Fine, we’ll tutor in your room, you better be prepared.”

“Sure,” I say as I make my way upstairs. Is it just me or has the day just gotten extremely brighter?

 

Allie’s POV

I make my way into Myungsoo’s bedroom and see him sitting there at his desk; he’s changed his clothes and looks like a complete idiot. Is he attempting to look smarter? If so, that sweater vest and those glasses aren’t doing anything for him, he just looks like the same spoiled brat.

“Trying to be impressive?” I joke leaning against his doorway.

“Doesn’t work, right?” he asks.

“Heck no,” I say.

I watch him start taking out some books. “What are we going to work on today?” he asks me.

“Well, what are you having the most trouble in?” I ask.

“Everything.”

“Everything? There’s no way that you can be struggling in everything when exams are just a couple of days away. There has to be something that you’re good in.”

“Yeah.”

“What?”

“Lunch, free time, spending money.”

“Spoiled brat,” I mutter under my breath.

“What did you say?” he asks.

“Like you don’t know.” I move towards the desk more. “Then pick a subject that you want to cover.”

“Chemistry?” he asks picking up his book.

“If you want,” I reply.

For the next who knows how long, I tutored Myungsoo in practically all of the subjects that he has. We had to stop when it was time to pick up Cecelia from school.

“Why do you have to follow me like a lost puppy?” I ask him.

“I don’t follow you around like a lost puppy.”

“Yes you do,” I reply as I look out the window. “And you won’t let me do anything.”

“Why, what do you want to do?” he asks. “You can hang out with your friends.”

“I don’t have any friends,” I quietly respond.

The air between us grows awkward for a moment. “Well, what would you like to do then?”

“I want to work,” I tell him. Strange as it sounds, I really do want to work. I’ve worked for the past year supporting Cecelia and me, some could say that it kind of got fun? I like going out and meeting people and at least doing something throughout the day without staying at home like a bum, like some people I just so happen to now know.

“Work,” he says thinking it over. What is there to think over? “I got the perfect thing then.”

“What?” I ask curiously. Is it going to turn out good or bad?

“Be my maid.”

“Maid?” I ask shocked.

“Or personal assistant, whatever you feel like calling it.”

He wants me to be his maid? Personal assistant? Does that sound any better than maid? This isn’t the type of work that I wanted.

 

Myungsoo’s POV

That’s a good way to break down her cold front, right? This way, I’ll be able to spend all of my time with Allie. She can be my personal assistant, following me around. Yes, this plan couldn’t get any better. I get to spend time with her and she can experience the college life by attending all of my classes with me. Am I a genius or what? And she doubts my abilities.

Suddenly, my phone rings. I try my best to ignore it, but it keeps ringing. I look at Allie and she gives me a look. “Are you not going to answer it?”

“I don’t have to,” I respond.

“Should I answer it because I’m your personal assistant?” she asks sarcastically.

“Sure,” I say throwing my phone next to her. She just stares at me; she probably didn’t think that I was going to give it to her just like that. “Are you going to answer it or not?” I ask with a sly smile on my face and crossing my arms across my chest. I slightly laugh at myself as I see her roll her eyes and finally answer my phone.

I don’t really concern myself with phone calls from unknown numbers because I don’t like answering them. I actually always wanted a personal assistant/maid to help with these kinds of things, even if it isn’t much, but it was too troublesome to actually attempt to find someone to do the job. If Allie wants to work, then I have found my assistant, not to mention a little enjoyment.

I hear Allie start yelling at whoever is on the phone and I immediately stare at her. Then it’s probably not Sungyeol that called. Is it some girl?

“What makes you think that I’m dating that spoiled brat?” I hear Allie say. It’s definitely a girl, and she called me spoiled brat. I am not a spoiled brat. “I can call him a spoiled brat whenever I want.” Um, I think that this situation may just be getting a little too much out of hand. I wave my hand in front of Allie’s face and make her hand over the phone.

“Hello?” I ask.

“Oppa, why was some strange girl answering your phone?” a girl asks on the other line. Typical, but I still don’t’ know the name, and it’s not the same girl as before. Actually, I don’t remember what this girl even looks like.

“What does it matter?” I ask.

“Do you want to go somewhere tonight? A bunch of my friends are going to go. We can all hang out together.”

“I’ll think about it.”

“I hope to see you there, oppa,” she says. She proceeds to tell me the place and time, all of which I’ll forget I’m sure. If I felt like doing something tonight, then I find the place myself, I don’t follow others orders to go to a place, besides Sungyeol, sometimes. Once he took me to a horrible place. That was the last time that I fully trusted him to go somewhere.

I hang up the phone and throw it next to me. I notice Allie staring at me. She seems angry; she probably is since the woman on the other line mistook her as my girlfriend. “Doing something tonight?” she asks eyeing me. “What about your exams next week?”

“Never mind about those, and I don’t know if I’m going out,” I respond coolly. “I will if I will and I won’t if I won’t. The exams, it doesn’t matter.”

She just looks at me and rolls her eyes. “Okay, spoiled brat.”

“Spoiled brat?” I ask. She’s been calling me that for a while.

“Oh look, Cecelia’s here.” I quickly turn my attention to the little girl running to get into the car. I hadn’t noticed that the bell rang already.

“Unni, the teacher wants to talk with you before you leave,” Cecelia says looking at Allie.

“Did you get in trouble?” Allie asks concerned.

“I don’t know, I don’t think so,” she responds.

“Well, you just wait here with that oppa, I’ll be right back.”

Allie leaves and I’m stuck in the car with Cecelia. We look awkwardly at each other before I start forming a plan in my head and a smile appears on my face. “Why are you smiling oppa?” Cecelia asks me.

“Oh, nothing,” I say, but I rethink the decision. “Hey, would you like to help me with something?”

“Sure,” she says brightly, “what are we doing?”

I lean closer to her as I start thinking about my plan.

 

Allie’s POV

I make my way through the school and wonder what the teacher wants to talk about. I’m rarely ever called back to school because of Cecelia; she’s a good girl, so this meeting probably isn’t only about that.

“Hello,” I say bowing before the teacher, she greets and bows back to me. “You wanted to see me?”

“Ah, yes, just to check up a bit on Cecelia. She’s a good girl don’t you know.”

“Yes, I know,” I say. “I’m happy that she’s happy and well behaved, considering everything that’s happening. What is this meeting about?”

“I just wanted to ask you a couple of questions. Cecelia has been saying that you moved houses.”

Darn, I was hoping that it wasn’t going to be about my current living situation, but I can’t help that Cecelia would say something about moving because we did.

“Yes,” I say nodding my head. “We have temporarily moved houses because of the fire. What has Cecelia been saying?”

“She’s been saying that you live with a nice ‘oppa’ and that she thinks that you and him would make a good couple.”

“Well, you know kids these days,” I say gently laughing.

“Yeah, kids,” she says, but suddenly the air between us turns serious. “Stay away from him.”

“Stay away from who?”

“Kim Myungsoo, I know that you’re living with him. Don’t get too close.”

“The spoiled brat, why would I ever?”

“You call him a spoiled brat?” she asks shocked.

“What would it matter? Why do you care whether or not I get close to him or be friends?”

“I’m his girlfriend.” I stare at her. If she’s his girlfriend, why didn’t he say anything about her? It feels like she reads my mind, though. “I was the one on the phone just now, didn’t you notice?” Wait, is she the girl that his parents thought I was? Is she really his girlfriend?

 

Myungsoo’s POV

Once Allie comes back to the car, we start heading back home. The air between us seems awkward, but Cecelia doesn’t seem to take notice of anything wrong. “Hey,” I say breaking the silence, “do you mind if I take Cecelia out tonight for some bonding time?”

“Bonding time?” she asks in disbelief looking at me. “You babysat her once, isn’t that enough bonding time?”

“Yeah, but…” I start. “She needs new clothes, doesn’t she?” I see Allie thinking, I’m right. She knows I’m right because everything was in the fire. Speaking of, Allie probably needs new clothes, too. “Unless, do you want to come with? I can buy you some things, too.”

“I don’t need your money, but we can both take her shopping tomorrow. Today…today I just don’t feel like it,” she says with a sigh. I can’t help but start feeling concerned. Did something happen in the school? I shouldn’t ask, though, but I really want to know what’s going on.

Slowly, night falls and I get a call from Sungyeol. “Want to go out tonight?” he simply asks.

“Sure,” I respond. “Meeting at the usual place?”

“You know, the usual,” Sungyeol responds. He’s probably smiling on the other end. We end the conversation there.

I make my way downstairs and find Allie and Cecelia watching some television together. I can’t help but smile to myself as I walk towards them. Cecelia must’ve heard me coming because she suddenly turns around. “Oppa,” she exclaims.

“Hey,” I say picking her up. “How is Cecelia doing?”

“Good, unni and I are watching a television show.”

“That’s good,” I say looking at Allie who pretends like I don’t exist anymore. I don’t know what’s gotten into her. “Um…oppa is going to go out for a while, okay?”

“Where are you going?” Cecelia asks, I can read the curiosity in her eyes.

“Just somewhere with my friends…like a play date,” I say with a slight smile and happiness that I was able to come up with that comparison. “Okay?” I ask attempting to get Allie to look at me. “Are you and Cecelia going to be okay in this house by yourselves?”

“We’re going to be just fine,” Allie responds.

“Okay,” I say as I sit Cecelia back down onto the ground. “If you have any trouble, don’t hesitate to call, or just ask someone here, but call if you run into trouble.”

I start walking upstairs and I look back. Allie’s not even looking at me, before she at least had the decency to look at a person when they were talking. Now she doesn’t even turn her head or blink twice. Did something happen today that I don’t know about?

 

Allie’s POV

I listen as the front door opens and shut, signaling that Myungsoo has left to go out with his friends, probably to go out to a club, probably to see his girlfriend. Why am I concerning myself with this? I’m just a tenant at his house, nothing more. We’ve already agreed to be just friends, so why is she so concerned with me getting close to him?

Not even five minutes later, I hear the doorbell. Did he forget something? I signal to the maid that I’m going to get the door and I open it. “Spoiled brat, what did you forget this time?”

“Spoiled brat?” a voice says. I look up and I see that it’s not Myungsoo, it’s Woohyun. “I didn’t know that we already had nicknames for each other.”

“I’m sorry,” I say immediately bowing. “I thought you were Myungsoo.”

“He’s not here?”

“No, he left.” I think about it for a moment. “Would you like to come in anyway?”

“Sure,” he says smiling as he steps into the house.

I bring Woohyun to where Cecelia and I were watching television, with Cecelia now playing with some of her dolls on the floor. Woohyun and I take up residency on the couch, just watching her play contently.

“Why are you here?” I ask.

“I just wanted to see Myungsoo and maybe catch up. I finally got a break at the restaurant.”

“It seems like it’s hard work,” I say.

“It was hard work becoming one to the standard of my parents. They sent me to America for schooling when I was in middle school so I could learn from the greatest. Then, in high school, I was sent to Europe.”

“You’ve been all over the world.”

“I guess you could say,” he says with a smile, I can’t help but smile back.

Woohyun stays for quite a while and before either of us notice, it has already gotten late. “Be sure to stop by the restaurant sometime,” he says before he leaves.

“Sure, I’ll bring Cecelia,” I respond as I wave to him. Woohyun quickly hugs me before departing.

I carry Cecelia to go up to her room. We pass by Myungsoo’s room and I notice that his door is open and it looks like he’s passed out onto his bed, he must be drunk, but how long has he been home? I didn’t notice the door at all and he didn’t say anything when he entered. I shrug it of as I put Cecelia down into her bed and then later go to mine to sleep.

 

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to,” a boy says with tears in his eyes.

“I guess I never meant anything to you,” I say teary eyed.

“Allie, I like you, I really like you. Wait for me,” the boy confesses.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who is the boy that Allie is dreaming about? Is it more than one boy? Are Woohyun and Allie going to have a friendship with each other? Why didn't Myungsoo say anything to Allie when he came back in the house? What is Allie going to do about the threat of Myungsoo's "girlfriend"?

 

Chapter 7 is finished. Hope you enjoyed :D

 

If you guys have questions like either regarding the story or just general questions, don't be afraid to write a comment or message me. If you write a comment with a question, I'll write the answer, without giving away too many spoilers :), in the section after the story, like this one. If you send me a message, I'll respond back in the message. So don't be afraid to do so :D