Moving On

The Other Side of Cinderella

Allie’s POV

By the time that I realized, it was already our night in Japan. After that night of finding out about Myungsoo’s half-brother, I have kind of been avoiding him, I guess. Whenever I see him, I go the opposite way or I just get closer to Woohyun or Sungyeol.

I guess Myungsoo understands, but I don’t know why I can’t accept it. Maybe it’s because of everything that Sunggyu has done to me. Maybe that’s why I can’t accept the fact that they’re related.

Even though Myungsoo and I share the same room, we sleep on opposite sides of the bed because I would feel bad if he had to go onto the floor since this is his bedroom after all. When I said I would go on the floor, he wouldn’t allow it. Hence both of us are placed far away from each other.

“Ah, you’re not sleeping yet,” Myungsoo says as he enters the bedroom. I’m guessing that he was out talking with his grandmother again or doing something at the company. It seems that ever since that argument between the two, his grandmother has been trying to mend things between them, but it appears to be very difficult.

“No, I’m not,” I say giving him a short answer.

“Okay,” he says as he goes into the bathroom to get washed up. He no longer questions me about things and he just lets things be as they are. I don’t know what he’s thinking anymore. The guy that was once my best friend and first love is no longer there. It’s like he’s a completely new person.

I turn out the lights and lie down on the bed to sleep once more in Myungsoo’s bed before we go back. When we go back, I’m going to start looking for a cheap apartment to live in. I think Cecelia and I should move out of Myungsoo’s house. As much as it’s been nice that he’s let us live there, I don’t think we should prolong our stay any longer. Maybe it’s time to cut all ties with Myungsoo. Maybe our friendship from our early years can’t be saved.

After a while, I hear Myungsoo come back into the room. He moves around quietly because he probably thinks that I’m sleeping. I don’t move to tell him that I’m awake and I don’t speak to him. There are no more words that need to be spoken between us. We can just live our life like this, silently between each other.

Quickly, I close my eyes because I see Myungsoo coming towards me. What does he want? I feel the bed sink a little as he sits down on the edge of it near me. Is this what he does every night I go to bed?

“Allie, how much are you hurting because of me?” Myungsoo whispers as his fingers touch my cheek. “Ever since you met me your life has been a mess. What would have happened if you never met me again?”

Is Myungsoo thinking the same thing that I’m thinking? Is he thinking that we should just no longer speak to each other?

“I’ve tried and tried, Allie,” Myungsoo continues, “but it seems like you still don’t accept me. It seems that you still don’t trust me. Maybe you would be happy with Woohyun-hyung. Maybe I’m just a failure, but I’ll always love you. Remember that.”

With his last sentence, Myungsoo gets off of the bed and goes onto his side. His words make me really sad for some reason. I’m not pushing him away intentionally, though. It was just that I was going through a difficult time. After everything that’s happened to me even before I met him, I had a hard time trusting people.

It’s not your fault, Myungsoo, it’s mine, too.

 

Myungsoo’s POV

I wake up early. I didn’t get a good sleep last night. Looking at the time, I realize that it’s already nine thirty. Our flight to go back to Korea is at five in the evening, so we have some time to make the best out of our last day here.

I haven’t made up with my grandmother and I don’t know if I ever will, but what she’s done to Sunggyu and his mother gives him perfect reason to hate me. I guess I have to live with what she’s done, but after I get Allie settled, I’m going to go apologize to him. I’m going to be the bigger person; I’m going to do it.

After washing up for the day, I find the suitcases and begin packing in my things. I’m pretty sure that Allie’s going to want to pack in her own things because I’m not sure what she wants to wear, but I guess it could never hurt picking it out for her.

Going through her clothes, I pick out a regular pair of jeans and a plain blue t-shirt. Unlike Woohyun, I actually pick out something that’s her style.

“You guys are up early,” I say as I enter the dining room to eat breakfast.

“Can’t help it,” Sungyeol says. “Cecelia woke me up this morning.”

“Why is Cecelia up so early?” I ask leaning down to her level.

“Because this is the schedule, oppa,” she says with a bright smile. I smile at her response. “Where’s unni?” she asks looking around.

“Your unni is still sleeping, do you want to wake her up?” I ask.

“Sure,” she says hopping down from the seat. Sungyeol and I watch her as she runs up the stairs to go to the bedroom to wake up Allie.

“She still hasn’t forgiven you yet?” Sungyeol asks as I take my place at the table.

“I’m not sure if it’s forgiveness she’s not giving,” I tell him. “It just seems like she was shocked to find out that he is my brother and it’s likes he’s still trying to accept it but can’t. I don’t blame her, though.”

“So what are you going to do?”

I sigh. “When we get back to Korea, I’m really going to confess my feelings for her and then I’m going to let her go.”

“Let her go?” Sungyeol asks practically spitting his food all over the table.

“Who’s letting what go?” Hoya asks coming down the stairs with Woohyun.

“Did you guys sleep together or something?” Sungyeol asks staring at them. I reach over and hit him on the head. “What?” he asks. “Cecelia’s not here, it’s okay to say that.”

“Anyway, who’s letting who go?” Woohyun asks as they sit down.

“Myungsoo’s letting Allie go,” Sungyeol says.

“Does that mean that you’re giving her to me?” Woohyun asks.

“If you wish,” I tell him. It kills me inside to say that, but if it’s for the better, then I guess I have to. “If it’s for the better, then you can have her Woohyun. I’m not going to stop you.”

Woohyun stares at me in disbelief. I guess he can’t believe that I’m just going to let Allie go after all that I’ve done for her. “So, what are you going to do?” he clarifies.

“Once we get back to Korea, I’m going to take Allie out, just me and her. Could you three watch Cecelia? She’ll probably be tired, possibly, but if not, her toys are all at my house. I don’t want to tell her just yet that she’s going to be moving back and not see me ever again. I’m not sure if I could do that.”

“Okay, we will,” Sungyeol says nodding his head.

“We’re here to help,” Hoya announces.

“Okay, well, when I take Allie out, I’m planning on truly confessing my feelings. I think she gets the gist that I like, no, love her, but I’ve never actually told her through a confession.”

“Look at Kim Myungsoo confessing to girls,” Woohyun says with a smile, “I thought Kim Myungsoo doesn’t fall for girls, girls fall for him.”

“Ah, that old saying,” I say remembering what I used to say before I met Allie. “I’ve changed, but I’ll confess to Allie and I’ll let her go. I’ll tell her that she doesn’t ever have to see me again if she doesn’t want to. It’s not that she was really ever mind in the beginning, but I’m letting her go.”

I stare at the guys. They must be shocked. It is true that I’ve come a long way since I met Allie. I’ve changed dramatically and it’s all because of her. But in me becoming the better person, it has caused Allie’s life to worsen. What would have happened if she never met me? Would her house still be there? Would her memories of her parents still be there? Would she be living a happy life? These thoughts are the ones that are telling me to let her go.

 

Allie’s POV

The ride on the plane to Korea seems fairly quick. I still sit with Cecelia and Hoya, which makes it go even faster. I think sitting with Myungsoo would’ve caused the awkwardness to make it seem as though the flight was going to be longer.

For some strange reason, Hoya kept looking at me through the whole flight, but when I asked him about it, he merely denied anything and continued playing with Cecelia.

Thinking about Cecelia, I wonder what she would think when I tell her that we’re moving away from Myungsoo’s house. I think she’ll be very sad knowing that she won’t see Myungsoo every day like she’s used to. How long have we been living at his house anyway? I’ve lost track of the time.

Even though we would be moving away, she would still be able to see them. I’ll let Sungyeol look after her and maybe that means I could take up some more shifts at a new job. Perhaps I should contact the café first and see if I can get my job back. But what about school? I’ve missed the exams. I should probably just stop. With Cecelia and getting a new job, it’s not like I’m going to be able to manage to do both.

As all of us gather our luggage in the airport in Korea, it seems like a solemn atmosphere has come over us. Do they know about my plan to leave?

“Hey,” Myungsoo says coming over to me. This is really the first word that he’s spoken to me ever since last night’s bedside confession.

“Hey,” I say looking down at my luggage while we walk to the car that’s waiting for us.

“Let’s get in a different car. Come here,” he says pulling my arm. “Don’t worry about your luggage, Sungyeol’s taking care of it.”

“What?” I ask as he opens the door to a different car and puts me in. “Where are you taking me?”

I begin freaking out. Being taken to place suddenly is not my forte and it will never be ever since I got kidnapped. I’m pretty sure that I’m never going to like not knowing where we’re going. So, in short, I don’t like surprises. Not at all. Surprises and I will not get along.

“Let’s go to dinner.”

“Dinner?” I ask. “Isn’t it too late for dinner?”

“Nope,” Myungsoo says shaking his head. “You didn’t eat much in the airport and I was worried about you. So why don’t we eat?”

I sigh as I lean against the window. There’s no point in arguing with him now, the car is already moving. “Whatever.”

“Good,” he says with a gigantic foolish smile on his face. “Let’s get going.”

“Where are we going?” I ask after a couple of minutes of silence that I can no longer handle.

“To a restaurant.”

“No, really?” I ask. Myungsoo only smiles at me. What is wrong with him? “Okay,” I say as I turn to look out the window again.

The rest of the ride is in silence. I begin to feel sleepy and as I close my eyes, the car comes to a final stop. “We’re here,” Myungsoo announces.

I look out the window and see the familiar restaurant that we’re at. “We’re at Woohyun-oppa’s restaurant? But didn’t he just come back? He’s not working.”

“It doesn’t matter,” Myungsoo says before he gets out. “We’re here and you’re probably hungry. Let’s go inside and eat.”

I stare at Myungsoo. He has got to be kidding me. I was supposed to tell him when we got back to his house that Cecelia and I are leaving tomorrow, yet instead he decides to bring me out to dinner for who knows what apparent reason. Tonight I was supposed to pack up the remainder of Cecelia and my stuff, but I’m here. This is only going to prolong our stay and I want to leave as soon as possible to let both of us carry on with our lives.

“Kim Myungsoo,” a guy says as soon as we enter. I see that Myungsoo is still as popular as before. “Your regular table?”

“Yes please,” Myungsoo says bowing to the guy.

The guy gets some menus and begins walking with Myungsoo and me following behind him. Myungsoo slips his fingers in between mine and I let him. I mean, I’m leaving soon, so I have no problem with him doing that. Myungsoo doesn’t seem that surprised at the action.

“Here you go,” the guy says putting the menus down on the same table that we were at when Myungsoo first brought Cecelia and me here. “So, this was your plan?” I ask as we sit down.

“What?” Myungsoo asks looking at me.

“You just wanted to bring me here to spend alone time with me, right?” I ask him.

“You could say that,” he says nodding his head. Really, though, what’s going on in his mind? “Why don’t we wait until our food arrives and then we can talk, alright?” I nod my head as I begin searching through the menu to find something to eat. “Need help?”

“Why would I need help from you?” I ask.

“I was just offering. No need to get defensive,” Myungsoo says with a smile. “But I’ll order for you, okay?”

I sigh and close the menu. Myungsoo smiles at his accomplishment.

 

Myungsoo’s POV

Allie probably doesn’t realize why we’re here and I’m not going to let her know until dinner. I’m just going to be savoring this moment alone with her as it’s probably the last chance that I’ll ever get. Pretty soon, Allie will be with Woohyun, or at least Woohyun will be attempting to prove his feelings for her and they’ll be together for a happily ever after. I, meanwhile, have to fix everything between Sunggyu and my family. I can’t believe I’m going to do that.

Finally, our food comes. We both eat in silence for a little bit, until Allie decides to break it. She probably doesn’t like silence or awkward dinner feelings. “Why didn’t you tell me Sunggyu was your brother?” she asks. I look up from eating and see her intently staring at me.

I put down my fork and stare at her. “I wasn’t so keen on accepting it myself,” I say with a light chuckle. “I wanted answers, so we went to Japan and I got them. I wanted answers before I actually made it public that I have a half-brother.”

“And what were those answers?” she asks.

“They aren’t the most pleasant answers in the world.”

“I don’t care. I’m trying to accept the fact that you’re related and if you can accept it after you got your answers, then tell me.”

Does she really want to hear the answers? “If you hear them, there’s no turning back.”

“I want to hear them,” Allie says standing her ground.

“Well, my mother is my father’s second wife. I didn’t know that. I didn’t know that my father was married before and he was married to Sunggyu’s mother. Apparently, my grandmother didn’t like his mother, so she kept sort of torturing her until one day his mother couldn’t take it anymore and left. My grandmother then spread a nasty rumor to all of the big corporations about her so she found it difficult to get a job. When my mother came into the picture, she started doing those same things because she resented the fact that there was another son besides me. She couldn’t take it, so my grandmother and my very own mother made a plan to get the both of the out of Korea.”

I continue telling their story to Allie as I watch her face. She doesn’t seem shocked by anything and looks like she’s taking it pretty well.

“So, I want to apologize to him,” I finish off. “I want to tell him that he’s accepted into my family that I don’t care what my grandmother or mother says. He’s my brother, we have half of the same DNA and I completely understand why he’s out to target me.”

“At least you’re being the bigger person,” Allie says with a smile.

“Yeah,” I say looking down at my food.

“Maybe I can forgive him for what he’s done, but I’m not so set on it yet.”

“You don’t have to,” I tell her. “Take as long as you need. But that’s not the real reason why we’re here.”

“Then why are we here?” Allie asks.

I take a deep breath. The moment of telling her that I love her and telling her goodbye has come. “I like you Allie, you know that, right? Well, actually, no, I love you,” I correct myself. “I’ve kept this feeling in for so long, but I’ve expressed it, I just never did it in a proper way.”

“What are you talking about?” Allie asks confused.

“I love you. I always have and I always will. You changed me ever since you met me and moved in. I didn’t notice it myself but I finally realize it now. I changed to be a better person for you. Whenever you were in danger, I wanted to protect you. I wanted to help you when you needed help.”

“Aren’t you sure that it’s pity rather than love?”

“No, I’m sure it’s love,” I tell her. “I love you and nothing will ever change that. Here,” I say pulling out a box. I look at Allie as she stares at the box. “This is my present to you, for finally confessing my love.” I open the box and show Allie what’s inside. “It’s a necklace that I got in Japan; it has the letter L on it. Maybe you’ll always remember me by it.”

“Remember you?” she asks.

“That’s the second part,” I say getting up from where I’m sitting to put the necklace around her neck. “I’m letting you go. I made arrangements. There’s an apartment for you that’s not far away from my house. It’s nice and I’ll pay for it. You guys can live there. I’ve destroyed your life too many times to count. Maybe it’s better without me in your life. I’m sure Cecelia will be upset, but she can always visit and if you ever need a babysitter, the house isn’t that far and I have a car, plus Sungyeol will always watch her, too.”

“Myungsoo,” Allie starts.

“Just give me a moment, okay?” I ask her as I go sit back down in my seat. “This is already hard enough. Even though I love her, it’s because I love you that I’m letting you go. I just think I’m bad luck to you. Even though my life has gotten better with you around, I think it’s better if we just stop interfering with each other’s lives.”

“Myungsoo,” Allie says again. “I was going to say the same thing.”

I stare at her in disbelief. She was going to say the same thing? She was going to offer moving out? She wanted to move out?

“You wanted to say the same thing?” I ask with a space of disbelief between every word.

“I wanted to say the same thing,” Allie says nodding her head. “I think that it is time for each of us to move on with our lives. It was fun while it lasted. I’ll always remember you, Kim Myungsoo. The kindness that you’ve shared with Ceceila and me. I’ll never forget it.”

I stare at Allie as she says her words. Moving on. Is that what this is? Is this feeling the feeling of moving on after loving someone? Am I capable of doing that?

 

Allie’s POV

“Look, I just think that Cecelia and I have leaned on you too much and I think it’s time for us to start doing our own separate things. I was going to tell you tonight that I was going to go look for an apartment tomorrow, but I guess since you said that you already found one, looks like this was coming anyway.”

I look down at my food and think about to what I told Cecelia earlier. I already told her when she came into my room to wake me up this morning that I was thinking about moving. At first she really didn’t like it, but then I explained to her the reason behind it and she slowly understood the reason. I also told her that she would still be able to see Myungsoo and Sungyeol, it’s just that we wouldn’t be living with them anymore.

“Yeah,” Myungsoo says.

“Look,” I say looking at him straight in the eyes. “I guess this is a part of life, moving on from everything that’s happened. We have no control over it, right? Things just happened and now it’s time for another chapter in our lives. It just so happens that those chapters don’t involve either of us.”

“What were you thinking about school, though?” Myungsoo asks. “You’re still enrolled.”

“I was thinking about just not doing it,” I honestly say. “I was thinking about going back to the café to see if I could work again or getting another job somewhere else.”

“But I’m going to be paying for everything, your apartment, I’ll pay for it all,” Myungsoo says. “At least you could finish college and then get a job. At that point, I’ll stop paying for everything.”

“But isn’t that sort of leaning on you? I’d like to live on my own again. It’s been a while since Cecelia and I have been on our own and I’d like to get back to that.”

“How about we make a deal then,” Myungsoo says obviously unwilling to give up in helping me. “I’ll just pay for your school fees; well you’re on a scholarship anyway so I’m technically paying for them. I’ll pay for your apartment for the first couple of months. The school is willing, or rather, my father is willing to let you take your exams later because I explained to him everything that has happened, and kind of used the Sunggyu thing against him, for now. Or I can help pay for Ceceila’s school.” Myungsoo really must want to help me.

I stare at Myungsoo. Should I finish school? It would be beneficial in trying to find a better job and paying salary so I can help support Cecelia in school, but Myungsoo says that he wants to pay that. There are so many questions running through my mind. There are so many decisions to be made.

 

Myungsoo’s POV

The day comes too fast. Allie and Cecelia spent their last night at my house last night. I’m sad that this day has come. Allie and I spent the night in the same bed, but we still didn’t do anything. The most that I did was just hold her all night in my arms while waiting for today to come. At least I was able to do that once.

“Remember, if you need anything, never be afraid to call,” Sungyeol says as he holds Cecelia in his arms and speaks to Allie.

“Yeah, we’ll always be here,” Woohyun says while he takes a little break before heading into the restaurant to work. It’s like everyone’s going back to their normal lives.

“Myungsoo, why don’t you say something?” Sungyeol asks looking back at me.

“What?” I ask as I walk up to them. “Oh, yeah.” I look at the ground. It feels embarrassing now. “I guess this is goodbye.”

“Goodbye,” Allie says as she holds out her hand for me to shake. I stare at it and just hug her immediately. Quickly, I let her go.

“Take care,” I tell her nodding my head. She nods her head as she motions for Cecelia to get into the car. She reluctantly gets down from Sungyeol’s arms. The three of us stare at the car starts to drive away. Cecelia is poking out the back window and waving to us.

This isn’t goodbye. This isn’t even close to a goodbye. I’ll see her around. I’ll see Allie around in the future, we’ll run into each other like fate has allowed us before. That is if fate will only give us one more chance.

As the car rounds the corner it finally hits me. I never got the answer to my confession.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allie and Cecelia are officially out of Myungsoo's house, how are they going to move on? How is Myungsoo going to move on from Allie? Will they ever meet again? Does Allie have feelings for Myungsoo? How is Myungsoo going to make it up to Sunggyu? And don't forget about Yuri.

 

And there's another poll!!! So, I decided that I'll have a sequel. And here is the important part, deciding whether or not there should be a time jump. That's what the poll is about, a time jump. Don't forget to vote :)

 

 

And Chapter 24 is finished. Hope you enjoyed reading it :)

Just what do you think is going to happen next?

Oh, and if any of you have any good titles for the sequel, don't be afraid to tell me, but this story isn't ending yet. There are still too many questions to be answered. I'll tell you when the ending is drawing near.

 

Pssttt. Hey. Hey you. I made a Twitter. Follow it for frequent updates, mkay? You don't have to, it's just another way to know what I'm working on right now. Click here to go to it. Have a nice day/night/afternoon/evening :)