Who Are You?

The Other Side of Cinderella

Allie’s POV

I open my eyes to an unfamiliar room, where am I? I don’t recognize this place at all. “You’re awake, that’s good,” I hear a voice say. I turn and see that…it’s a maid? Where am I? I look underneath of the blankets and thankfully I still have clothes on, so that at least gets rid of a couple of my worries.

“Where am I?” I ask. I look down at my hand and it feels slightly warm. Why?

“At the Little Master’s house,” she simply replies. The Little Master? Who in the world is the Little Master?

“And who is this Little Master?” I ask when it suddenly hits me. There was a fire, the apartment burned down and Myungsoo came to the rescue. Is this his house? Where’s Cecelia?

“Little Master’s name is Kim Myungsoo,” she responds going over and opening the bedroom curtains.

This is Myungsoo’s house, I slept in Myungsoo’s house and he didn’t do anything to me? Maybe he’s not the type of person I thought he was. “Do you know where the Little Master might be?”

“He should be home soon from classes.” Classes as in university classes? I look at the watch that’s still on my hand and it reads that it’s practically three. I quickly get out o bed. “Where are you going?” she asks.

“I have to go pick up my little sister from school,” I respond.

“No you don’t,” she says shaking her head. “Little Master already took care of her transportation. You don’t have to worry. Do you have any other questions?” I shake my head and she nods and smiles as she leaves the room.

He’s doing all of this for me? Why? Why would a guy that has everything be doing things for a girl that has nothing, it doesn’t make sense. I sit back down in the bed and just look around. It looks nice, it’s big, it’s like as big as our whole apartment. Well, maybe it’s not that dramatic, but the size of his room is pretty impressive. I take my phone off of the nearby table and see that I have a text message from Myungsoo that was sent hours ago, instead of writing a note he probably sent it.

 

You awake? Good. I left for classes and sent Cecelia to school. Thankfully I was able to find out where she goes. Don’t worry about picking her up, either, I have that all taken care of. You should just rest for now. I’ll be coming home straight after classes.

Kim Myungsoo

 

I stare at the note. What is this guy doing to me? He’s a guy that is probably capable of getting whatever he wants in the world. What is he doing spending his time with a measly girl like me? It’s not even like I like him, I don’t like people that get everything that they want. I don’t like them. I don’t.

 

Myungsoo’s POV

“Do you want to do something today before exams? They’re next week already,” Sungyeol comments. “Oh, how’s that tutoring going for you?”

“We didn’t have a lot of time together, I’ve only had one session,” I comment as we walk along. Classes have ended and I’m antsy to get back home. Someone should be picking up Cecelia right about now; I introduced her to the maid that should do it this morning so she’s comfortable with her. Cecelia’s probably going to get home before I do, but she can play with the toys in her playroom, that’s what they are for anyway.

“Myungsoo,” Sungyeol says snapping his fingers in front of me. “Are you even listening to me?”

“Sorry,” I comment.

“You’ve been acting strange today. Did something happen with Allie? Did you confess your feelings for her?”

“Heck no,” I say. “What force is going to compel me to do that?”

“Because you like her,” he says in a sing-song voice. I just eye him. “Anyway, why did you guys only have one tutoring session?”

“Things…happened yesterday.” I don’t tell him about the fire and about Allie being at my house right now. Everyone’s heard of the fire, but Sungyeol doesn’t know that that’s the place where Allie lives. I’m not going to tell him, not yet at least.

“Oh, well what kinds of things happened?”

“I have to get going,” I comment as I start heading towards my car.

“So you don’t want to do anything?”

“Can’t, maybe sometime later, okay?” I ask.

“Um…I guess,” Sungyeol says. I know that he’s probably thinking about what’s up with me because normally I never pass down an opportunity to hang out or to do something that involves catching girls, but today, I have other priorities, I have to check up on Allie and Cecelia, there’s no way that I can leave either of them alone. Without me, they would be homeless right now. As I drive back to my house, last night flashes in my head again.

 

LAST NIGHT

I sit still on my bed as Allie cries into my chest. What do I say to her now? She just lost everything regarding her parents and I feel bad about it. I’m not a person who feels bad about just anything, though. “Allie, listen to me,” I say while she’s crying, “I won’t let you go out into the world by yourself anymore. I’ll be here for you, okay?” I don’t need for her to respond back to my words. “I’m going to protect you forever and ever, okay?”

As soon as I say that sentence, though, an image flashes through my mind for a split second, but what is that picture of? Have I said that sentence to someone before? As far as my memory goes, I haven’t said it to anyone; I didn’t even say it to her. Why am I saying it now, though? Is it because I take pity on Allie? No, I don’t take pity on her; I think she’s a strong person for having to go through everything alone. I’ll never be able to tell her that, though. I’m not the guy who confesses my feelings to girls; they have to do it first.

I gently put Allie back onto the bed and tuck her into the blankets. As I turn to go away, she suddenly grabs my hand. “Please stay here a little longer with me,” she says softly. I know I shouldn’t read too much into it, but does that mean that she has slight feelings for me? She probably doesn’t, she just wants someone to comfort her. Why am I over thinking everything she says?

“Sure,” I say sitting down in the same spot and holding her hand. I hold her hand until she drifts off to sleep. I sneak away, after I make sure she’s sleeping, to go get changed into my pajamas and climb into the other side of my bed next to Cecelia.

 

Allie’s POV

“Unni!” I hear Cecelia yell running up to greet me. I’m now sitting in the living room, after asking one of the maids where I would be able to watch some television.

“Hello Cecelia,” I state as she hugs me and I hug her back. “Did you have a good day at school? Sorry that unni overslept.”

“It’s alright, oppa explained everything to me,” she says with a smile. What in the world could Myungsoo have said to her?

“What did the oppa say?” I ask.

“He said that you were just tired from working yesterday. Unni, I think you should take a break once in a while.”

“I will,” I say with a smile at how cute Cecelia is. “Don’t worry; I won’t do it ever again.”

“Okay,” she says. “I’m going to go play with toys now.”

She follows one of the maids to go to who knows where and I’m left in the room alone, or so I thought for a brief moment.

“So, you’re awake,” Myungsoo says. I turn around and he’s standing at the other entranceway with his arms crossed across his chest. I just nod my head and he comes and sits down next to me. “Are you okay?”

I sigh, at least things aren’t awkward. I thought that they were going to be because of last night, or what I can remember. “I guess.” I look around the house to put my eyesight on anything besides Myungsoo. “I really don’t know.”

“Listen,” Myungsoo begins, “you can live here. What I said last night, I meant it.”

“My memory after the fire is a little sketchy,” I admit.

He looks at me seriously. “How much do you remember then?”

“I remember you coming to the site of the fire and taking me to your house. After that, I don’t really remember much except waking up in your room this morning. Did something happen in between there?” I ask curiously.

“No, nothing,” he dismisses. “Then do you remember me offering to let you stay here?”

“A little bit,” I comment. I don’t really remember much of what anyone said. It feels like everything is just bunched up together into a big blob.

“Well, you and Cecelia are free to stay here, I’m offering my house to you guys, okay?” he asks standing up.

“I don’t need your help,” I say. “I will be able to find a new place to live.”

“Well until then, will you be able to stay here? I’d hate to see you and Cecelia stay out on the streets.” I stare at him. “You could take a couple of days off of work and recover; I have staff here that would be able to help you with anything that you want, including looking after Cecelia.”

“Is that what you want?” I ask him.

“What?”

“You just want to tell me how rich you are and how much you can do for me who has nothing?” I ask.

“Allie, I didn’t mean it that way,” he says coming up next to me.

“This is exactly the reason why I don’t like people who get everything they want in the world. They just feel the need to rub it in everyone’s faces.” I just look at him, this is exactly why I was hesitant getting involved with this guy in the first place, especially after he kept doing things for me.

“I didn’t mean for you to get angry at me,” Myungsoo says attempting to explain. “I just thought that you should rest yourself up for a little bit and then return to your natural duties.”

I stare at him, is he worried about me now? It’s probably just an act to get my affection or to get me on the same side as him. “You don’t need to help me. Why are you so concerned?”

Myungsoo sits down next to me on the couch and I eye him warily. “I just want to help, I’m not trying to get at anything,” he says. “I’m just extending my hand as a friend. Friends?” Myungsoo extends his hand for me to shake and I just stare at him. “Go ahead, take it, I’m not going to do anything.”

“Fine,” I finally sigh. “Friends, we can be friends.” I shake his hands and we both just stare at each other for a moment, pulling away awkwardly.

“So then, would you like to stay here? At least until you find a place.”

I stare at him and think about the offer. It is true that Cecelia and I wouldn’t have a place to go. I primarily think for Cecelia rather than myself. “I guess so,” I finally say. “Just until I’m able to find another place, though.”

“Of course, there’s nothing that’s going to keep you here,” Myungsoo says. “Shall I give you the grand tour of the place then?”

“I guess.” Myungsoo and I both stand up off of the couch and he extends his arm to me. I simply just look at it.

“Take it,” he insists. “Your body is weak right now. I don’t want you to danger yourself.” I look at it once more before I finally put my arm through his.

 

Myungsoo’s POV

Why is my heart beating so fast just from this simple touch? No other girls have done this to be before. Who is Allie and what has she done to me? “Okay then,” I say starting off the tour. “This is the living room, this is where people live. Not really, I don’t really use this room, but if you want to, feel free to,” I say.

We walk through the rest of the house and I show her a room that she could use as hers and one that Cecelia could use, unless she would like for them to be in the same room. I also show her the kitchen, although I told her that she wouldn’t have to cook because we have a chef, and also the dining room and Cecelia’s playroom that I made for her the other day.

“Hey, Cecelia,” Allie says going up to her. “Are you okay with living with this oppa for a while?”

“We’re going to live here, why?” Cecelia asks.

It then hits me that Cecelia knows nothing about the fire. Allie wasn’t able to tell her anything last night, Cecelia was sleeping last night anyway, and then this morning, we just sent Cecelia off to school without telling her anything. “Cecelia,” I say bending down to her level. “Your house is getting some repairs done, so in a meanwhile, you’re going to be living with me.” I look at Allie and she gets the picture.

“Yeah,” she says agreeing with me. “This oppa was nice enough to offer to let us stay here before we go back home. Is it okay with you?”

“Of course,” she says coming over and hugging me and then hugging Allie. “I like this house and I like oppa. Unni, you and oppa should get married one day.” I practically choke on my saliva when I hear that.

“Why would you say that?” Allie asks.

“Because I like unni and I like oppa. The two people I like getting together.” Such an innocent answer for an innocent girl.

“Who knows,” I say winking at Cecelia. I can feel Allie’s gaze on me, she probably thinks that I’m crazy for saying such a thing to a little girl. “Hey, Cecelia, I’m going to go show your unni the rest of the house. Are you okay playing here? Do you want me to call Sungyeol-oppa?” I suggest.

“Sure,” she says with a smile.

Allie and I go out of the room where I quickly call Sungyeol and asks him if he wants to come over and play with Cecelia. He quickly agrees and says that he wasn’t doing anything because I said that I didn’t want to do anything.

“But why is Cecelia over at your house?” he asks.

“She wanted to play and you’re her best playmate she says,” I say with a laugh. “The minds of children think alike.”

“I’ll be over in five,” Sungyeol simply says before hanging up.

I hang up the phone and continue the tour of the house. I take Allie everywhere and show her everything the house has, not to rub it in her face like she probably thinks I’m doing, but to show her the route to get from place to place just in case she gets lost and so she at least, maybe, might have a general idea where everything is.

We find a spot to sit outside and we just sit in silence. I don’t know if it’s awkward or not, but she doesn’t know anything about what happened last night, but it’s somehow eating at my brain a little. She doesn’t remember much, why is it bothering me? I should just forget it, right? Forget it, that’s what I’m going to do.

“I’m sorry if I sounded a little snobby in there,” I start out. “I didn’t mean for it to be like that.”

“That’s alright,” Allie says, but I can tell that she was still thinking about it. Maybe I shouldn’t have brought it up. “You mentioned something about last night and if I remembered, was there something that I should know?”

“N-n-no,” I stutter. Why did I stutter? She has to know something’s going on now.

She just stares at me. “Are you sure?” she eyes me. I can’t tell her about last night, it’s too embarrassing. It was embarrassing when it happened; I’m not going to repeat it again.

“I’m sure, there’s nothing that you need to know,” I repeat and I flash a smile, but she just stares at me. “Hey, you like studying right?” I ask attempting to change the subject.

“Well I am tutoring you,” she responds.

“Why aren’t you going to university?” I ask.

“There’s no time.”

“Well now there’s time,” I say forming an idea in my head.

“I have to work.”

“While you’re living with me, don’t work.”

“Living with you?” she asks. “You make it sounds like we’re boyfriend and girlfriend and I have to work. How else am I going to be able to find another place for Cecelia and me to live?”

“Just take a break from work for a while,” I repeat.

“Why?” she asks.

Why am I asking her to take off of work? I don’t want her to stay here any longer than she has to, right? After a while she has to leave, she can’t stay here forever. Right? Then why am I asking her to stay? Do I really like her that much? I can’t like her, I don’t fall for girls, girls fall for me. I’m a heartbreaker and a playboy, what is this image I’m conveying now?

“Go to university,” I tell her on a whim. I think she has what it takes to get into university and with my father, I’m sure she’ll be able to get aid to help pay for it, either that or I’m going to pay and convince my father. I’m not going to tell her that, though.

“What university am I going to go to now? I have no money to spend to go to university if I can’t find an apartment for Cecelia and me to live in?”

“Go to my university.” What am I saying? Why can’t I control my mouth when I’m around Allie?

Your university?” she asks confused. “Are you going to like pay the university to let me in?”

“I have connections,” I assure her with a smile, but she still just eyes me a strange look. Maybe she still doesn’t trust me or maybe she thinks that I’m just flaunting my wealth, but there’s just this burning desire in me to help her.

 

Allie’s POV

Of course he has connections, he has connections everywhere, right? Why wouldn’t he, he’s rich and rich people have connections. I do want to go to university, though, but after the death of my parents, it was difficult to leave Cecelia behind with family members. I thought that she would forget me and I wanted to help her, she is my younger sister after all. That’s why I study, though. I study because I want to go to college after Cecelia’s old enough, but I can’t tell Myungsoo that.

I think about his offer, it sounds appealing to go to college, but I can’t. I can’t leave Cecelia behind here with maids to take care of her and I can’t stop working because I need to find another place.

“I can’t…” I respond softly.

“Yes you can,” he insists.

“Why? I can’t leave Cecelia behind. I have to work in order to get to a new apartment.”

“Don’t you have money in the bank? You should.”

“Yeah, but…I don’t want to use that,” I say.

“Well, if you don’t want to use that to get a new apartment, then just stop working temporarily, live in this house with Cecelia, and go to university. I’ll make sure that all of your classes are throughout the course of the day when Cecelia is at school, so you don’t have to worry.”

“I still can’t.”

“Isn’t furthering your education important, too? Don’t you want to create an even better life for you and Cecelia?”

“I do.”

“Then go to university, please.”

Why is he so concerned with me going to university? It is a good offer, though, I have to at least admit that, but I shouldn’t take it. Myungsoo’s been giving me too much, I shouldn’t just mooch off of him anymore, and I can’t bring myself to do it more than I already have.

“I…can’t,” I repeat.

“Think it over, okay?” he asks getting up off of the bench. “Are you hungry? Thirsty? I’m thirty, let’s go get a drink.”

We walk through the house together when I suddenly hear a voice behind us.

“Omo!” I hear a woman’s voice say. “Myungsooie, don’t tell me that this is your girlfriend.”

Girlfriend? Is this lady crazy? We aren’t even holding hands and we don’t even have our arms intertwined. Why in the world would this woman think that we’re boyfriend and girlfriend?

Myungsoo and I both turn around and stare at the woman. “Mom?” I hear Myungsoo exclaim. So this woman is mother? His mother thinks that I’m his girlfriend?

“Myungsooie, this must be your girlfriend, right?” she asks coming up to me. “You’ve never let us meet her before. I’m glad that we showed up unexpectedly.”

“It’s not what you think,” I begin, but she cuts me off.

“No, it’s alright, you’ve been dating our Myungsooie long enough, we trust you guys.” I’ve been dating him long enough? Who does his parents think I am?

 

Myungsoo’s POV

This can’t be happening. I guess it’s my fault for letting it happen in the first place. I haven’t exactly told my parents that my previous girlfriend and I broke up, but I don’t like to talk about her anymore. They never met her before either, so they have absolutely no idea who my girlfriend is, or was. Now they think that Allie is my girlfriend?

“Um…Mom,” I begin, “it’s good that you’re home.”

“Of course, your father is home, too.”

“That’s nice, but Allie and I were just leaving,” I say as I push Allie forward a little.

“Oh, okay,” she responds. “I have to unpack and go to the office. Are we going to have dinner together?”

“Um, sure,” I quickly say as I watch her leave. As soon as she’s out of sight, I drag Allie through the house and to my room.

“Why does she think that I’m your girlfriend?” Allie demands. “Who is your girlfriend anyway?”

“I don’t have one,” I say.

“You have multiple, right?” she asks crossing her arms over her chest.

“No, it’s not that. It’s a complicated story, okay?” I ask her. “I’ll clear up this misunderstanding with them. Just bear with it a little for now.” She stares at me; a million questions are probably circling throughout her mind.

“Well what’s the story with you and your girlfriend, or shall I say ex-girlfriend?”

“It’s a long story, it’s complicated,” I tell her.

The story’s not only long and complicated, but it’s hard for me to tell.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myungsoo's mother thinks that he and Allie are boyfriend and girlfriend, now what? Myungsoo and Allie are going to be living under the same roof now, what is going to happen? Is Allie going to take Myungsoo's offer about going to college? What happened between Myungsoo and his previous girlfriend? What are these images and pictures that Allie and Myungsoo keep thinking of?

 

Another chapter up. Hope you enjoyed :D