Friends Are Close, But Enemies Are Closer

The Other Side of Cinderella

Allie’s POV

I stare at Myungsoo. Something’s not right; I know that something’s not right by the sound of his voice when he was talking on the phone. Did Cecelia and Sungyeol get into an accident? Hearing this end of the conversation, I know that Myungsoo didn’t know who was on the phone and the person wasn’t giving him any answers.

“Who was it?” I ask concerned. Myungsoo doesn’t say anything and just looks at me. “Myungsoo,” I say, but before I can say anything else, Myungsoo wraps me in his arms and hugs me tightly.

“I’m going to fix this problem, okay? I’ll make sure that everything is okay.”

“What?” I ask confused. “What’s going on?” I know that he doesn’t want to tell me. Is he trying to protect me from being hurt? I’m concerned about my little sister right now. “You can tell me, I’m strong. I want to help you.”

“But I’m going to help you,” he says as he the back of my head.

“Not unless you tell me what’s wrong,” I say pulling away from the hug. “Is there something wrong with Cecelia and Sungyeol?”

“I don’t know where they are right now,” Myungsoo whispers. It’s amazing that I can barely hear his voice.

“What do you mean?” I ask not wanting to accept the reality that I’m hearing.

“I don’t know where they are and the person on the phone…”

“What person?” Panic is rising in my voice and so is anger. I want to know what’s going on, but if Myungsoo doesn’t have answers, then no one does.

“They said that we have to do everything that they say.”

“Who says that?”

“I don’t know,” Myungsoo says shaking his head. “It was some stranger that answered the phone.”

“Stranger? So that means that Sungyeol and Cecelia… So no one…” Words aren’t even forming anymore. I can’t handle it. First the story, the accident, being reunited with my best friend from elementary school and then finding out that my sister and Myungsoo’s friend are missing. It’s too much.

“Shh,” Myungsoo says taking me into his arms again. “I’m going to get this sorted out, okay? Don’t worry. Don’t underestimate the power of Kim Myungsoo. You should get some rest now.” I shake my head. “I know that you want to wait to see what happens, but how are you ever going to help rescue them if you have no energy to do anything? Rest, I’m going to sort it out. You can sleep in my room, okay?”

Reluctantly, I get up with Myungsoo’s help and manage to get into his room and relax on his bed. I don’t know what to do. If Cecelia is missing and she gets killed, how am I ever going to be able to live with myself? My whole family was in danger around me and I was unable to do anything. I was unable to give my sister a good life. She’s only six; she has her whole life ahead of her. This shouldn’t be happening. If they both get hurt, I’ll feel guilty for my whole life. I don’t know what I’ll be able to do.

Slowly, my mind becomes blank with unknown thoughts as my eyelids get heavier and I finally fall asleep.

 

Myungsoo’s POV

I stare at the sleeping Allie. I feel so sorry towards her. So many things have happened to her and with Cecelia and Sungyeol gone missing, that’s just another thing to add. “I’m not going to let you suffer,” I whisper. “I’m going to find out who did this.”

I head downstairs and pick up the old yearbook and page through it again. Would it be Sunggyu? But why would he want to do such a thing? I still don’t fully understand why Sunggyu said that Allie was his. Did he have a crush on her or something when we were in elementary school? I don’t remember. The only thing I remember is us three were friends and then I went away and when I came back, it was Sunggyu who remembered me from elementary school as his hoobae, since he’s older. I wouldn’t have ever remembered him, but Sunggyu was the one that approached me first. Is that weird?

Ugh, it’s so confusing. I shouldn’t waste any time in attempting to find out where they are, but the person on the other line told me that they would tell me the first thing tomorrow morning. Tomorrow morning, but I have exams. Maybe if I say that my best friend got kidnapped they’ll realize my importance in having to miss. Maybe if I say that a little girl got kidnapped along with him, they’ll understand even more.

Should I get the police involved? They didn’t say anything about not getting the police involved, but that doesn’t mean that they’ll sit around while the police are on their case. If I were to get the police involved then something worse might happen to the two. I guess I’ll have to wait and see what type of thing they want us to do. That’s the only way to determine what my next move is.

I look again at the sleeping Allie. I can’t believe that she’s my best friend from elementary school, my first love. Does that mean that I still love her? well, I was in love with her even before figuring out that she was my first love. I guess fate has a funny way of doing things. I would have never thought in a million years that the person who I’m helping right now, the person who I’m living with right now, would be my best friend from elementary school that I had to leave. I also would’ve never thought that the person that I helped from the accident would be her parents. Is that why he said the comment about me falling in love with one of his daughters? Could he somehow recognize and remember me?

I’m probably already changing from what Uee made me. Ever since I met Allie again, she has changed my life in more ways than I could have imagined. I went from partying all the time to actually staying at home and doing things together with them. The things with my parents don’t seem to bother me anymore, either. It’s like thanks to those two, I’ve realized the importance of family and togetherness, but if only my parents were around more often to experience this change in me. I don’t even know where they went this time. Maybe they’re living at the other house that they bought for my marriage. I don’t live there anymore; there are too many old memories that would haunt me.

Does Allie feel the same thing, though? Did I help her as much as she’s helped me? I know that I’ve helped provide a place for her to stay, but other than that I don’t think I’ve done much. Maybe I should do my best and attempt to do more for her.

I put the yearbook on the side table before going into the bathroom and getting ready for bed. Once I’m ready, I slip into bed next to Allie, but I don’t go anywhere close to her, not after what Sunggyu did to her. Me sleeping in this same bed as she is would be nerve-wracking for her. I should remember to take her to the doctor’s to get a checkup. Yeah, that’s what I’ll do, besides saving Sungyeol and Cecelia, I need to take Allie to the doctor.

I turn and take one last look at the sleeping Allie before falling asleep myself.

 

Allie’s POV

I slowly wake up and look around me. I don’t see Myungsoo anywhere. Is he attending his finals? I grab my crutches and wash myself up before heading downstairs to get something to eat.

“Oh, you’re up,” a voice cheerfully greets me.

“Myungsoo,” I say as I sit down at the table. “You’re cheerful.” I still can’t get last night out of my mind. Just too many things happened for me to be able to digest it all.

“Always,” he says with a smile. “Are you ready to go to the doctor’s?”

“What about your exams?”

“The exams can wait,” he says. “I worry about you more.”

“Myungsoo, if you’re trying to reestablish your place as my first love, then good luck,” I smirk.

“Who said I was doing that? I didn’t know I was your first love.” Slowly, Myungsoo’s face comes closer. Crap. I shouldn’t have said that. “But since I was your first love and you were mine, why don’t we get together? Like boyfriend and girlfriend?”

“Myungsoo…”

“You’re not ready; I’m not going to force you to say anything.” Myungsoo still has that bright smile on. What is the change from when we went to bed until now? It doesn’t seem like something is right with him. “So, doctor’s office. Shall we get going?”

“But I don’t have an appointment,” I say.

“No worries, I’m going to take you to one very trusted doctor.”

“Who?” I ask.

“Sungjong.”

“Sungjong?”

“Yup, he was in Infinite in high school, too. I never realized this, but he was always younger than we were, but he skipped plenty of grades because he’s smart. Being the son of two doctors has to pay off. So he’s a doctor himself,” Myungsoo explains. “He basically skipped right through college since he was supposed to be a doctor since he was born.”

“Well, I guess if you want me to go.”

“I want you to go,” Myungsoo firmly says. “Now let’s get going, we can’t keep Sungjong waiting all day for us.”

Myungsoo shuffles me into one of his cars, a change for once since he normally has a driver. “Someone knows how to drive,” I remark as he gets into the driver’s seat.

“Of course,” Myungsoo says as he starts up the car.

“Then why do you always have a driver?”

“Because I’m lazy and a spoiled brat,” he says looking at me and giving me a sly smile. “Ah, I’m okay joking.” I give him a sly smile back as he pulls out his garage and onto the road.

It doesn’t take us long until we’re finally at the hospital. Myungsoo helps me out and goes right in and asks if Dr. Lee is in his office. I see the nurse at the desk politely smile, and perhaps flirt with him a little, as she points down the hallway to where his office probably is. Myungsoo just comes over and wraps his arms around my waist without saying a word; he’s probably trying to show that nurse that we’re together when we’re not together.

“I can walk perfectly fine,” I say attempting to get his hands off of me.

“Shh,” he whispers into my ear, “people are looking.”

I can only shut up and continue walking with him until we reach an office that says Dr. Lee on the front of it. Myungsoo opens the door for me and I walk in. Surprisingly, the office seems very nice and very un-like any other office that I’ve been in before.

 

Myungsoo’s POV

“Sungjongie,” I immediately say as we enter the office. The boy looks up from his papers with a wide smile.

“Hyung! Right on time. Is this Allie?” he asks looking at her.

“Yup, I was wondering if you could do a checkup on her.”

“Of course, hyung. Is there anything specific that I’m supposed to be doing?”

“Um…she can tell you,” I say looking at her.

“Are we disturbing you, though?” Allie worriedly asks looking at Sungjong.

“No, I’d do anything for my favorite hyung,” Sungjong quickly says.

“Well, if you’d check up on her, I think I’ll be in the hallway,” I say as I make my way towards the door.

“Okay, hyung. I’ll be out to tell you when we’re through,” Sungjong says giving me a thumbs up. He’s one of the best dongsaengs out there.

Going outside of the room, I find a nearby bench and just sit down. I hope that nothing’s wrong with Allie. If Sunggyu did anything to Allie, well he already did something to Allie, but if he does anything to Sungyeol and Cecelia, I’ll kill him for real this time. Why is he targeting me? Is it only me that he’s aiming for? Why must he target everyone that’s close to me? There has to be something that bothers him about me, I don’t know what that is though because there are plenty of things that are bothering me about him.

I close my eyes and rest my head on the back wall when I feel a rush of air in front of me from someone walking by. I slowly open my eyes and see the nurse from before standing there. “I thought you wanted to see Dr. Lee, his room is right here,” she says pointing.

“Oh, I already know. I’m not the one who has to see him,” I say. “I have to make sure that my girlfriend is doing alright.”

“Then why request Dr. Lee?” she asks sitting down uninvitingly. I move a little away from her. She looks too fake, and actually, she kind of reminds me of Uee. I don’t like girls like her anymore. They’re not my style.

“He’s a good friend of mine.”

“So you guys are about the same age? Then I’m your noona.”

“I don’t think I’ll be calling you noona any time soon,” I tell her standing up from the seat. I see her about to say something, but my phone rings. “Sorry, I have to take it,” I say without even looking at the phone yet. As soon as I look at my phone, my heart drops.

I move myself away from where I’m standing into a corner where I’m sure that that annoying nurse won’t be able to hear me. I don’t want anyone hearing this conversation. “Tell me where you are,” I demand.

“So feisty,” the voice on the other line says. They’re obviously using a voice changer so I don’t know who it is and I have no idea. “Is your wife okay at the hospital? Why are you guys there? Is she pregnant? You’re going to be a father, congratulations.”

“Just tell me what you want already or give me Sungyeol and Cecelia.”

“Hold your horses, things are going to take one step at a time.”

“What do you mean things are going to take one step at a time?”

“Sungyeol and Cecelia haven’t even woken up yet, and to be perfectly honest, I’m not sure if they ever will.”

“Hey!” I yell into the phone earning a couple of glares from some of the people in the rooms and the other people walking by. “What do you think you’re doing?”

“What do you think you’re doing? You’re yelling in a hospital. That’s not really accepted.”

“How do you know…” I begin. I start walking from where I’m standing and attempt to look for someone with a cell phone, someone who looks suspicious, anybody. A sense of fear starts to set in.

“You know L,” the person on the other line says emphasizing my nickname. “I thought you would be smarter than this. I thought you would at least realize more than this by now.”

“What do you want?” I ask. “How do you know my nickname?”

“You know, L, sometimes things are closer than you’d like them to be. Thank you for already completing your first task.”

My first task? What task are they talking about? Suddenly, as if on instinct, I run towards Sungjong’s office. No way, no way, no way. There’s no way, he’s a good donseang, he’s a good person, there’s no way that he would ever do this.

I slam open the door and see the empty office. No. This can’t be happening. I fall down to my knees with my hand still on the doorknob. Why? Why is this happening?

“L, once again, I thank you,” the voice says before disconnecting the line.

 

Allie’s POV

Once Myungsoo left, before I could even register what was happening, a blindfold was quickly placed over my eyes and something like a gag was placed in my mouth. “Hurry,” I heard a strange voice say, it wasn’t Sungjong since he didn’t speak like that before. I don’t know who this new stranger is, but I know that the other one behind this is Sungjong, what is happening? Don’t tell me that these are the people that took Cecelia and Sungyeol. Why did I ever agree to come to the doctor?

I feel myself being lifted up, which I’m sure is by this new guy because it didn’t look like Sungjong could life me up, especially when I this angry bandage weighing me down on my ankle. “Someone’s being a good girl and not saying anything,” the strange man says whispering into my ear. I want to retort and tell them that they’re the ones that placed something in my mouth to inhibit me from being able to talk, but because of the thing in my mouth, I can’t.

I don’t know where they’re taking me; the only thing that I know is that I’m placed into some vehicle since I hear the engine start up. “Hyung, hurry up,” I hear Sungjong say. “I have to call him now.”

The whole exchange between Myungsoo and the stranger on the phone is Sungjong. He’s probably using some sort of voice changer that prevents Myungsoo from knowing who is talking. That means that these are the people that took Sungyeol and Cecelia, they’re the people that kidnapped them. Is this how they were kidnapped? Cecelia is going to be traumatized for life. She’s probably going to need some counseling after this thing is over…if it ever gets over.

Before I even realize, I’m picked up again, but I have no idea where I am. I have no idea how long we’ve been driving for. If I wanted to run away to get help, I have no idea how far I would have to run before running into someone. I don’t even know which way to go. I guess I’m just utterly lost with no other way of being able to do anything.

“Now, if you’re a good girl, we’ll take off the blindfold and gag.” I slowly nod my head as I feel the blindfold coming undone and the gag is removed from my mouth.

I take a good look around the room and see that it doesn’t look as bad as the other people make it, like a basement. It looks like an actual bedroom in an actual house. There is a bed in the room, but that’s about it, besides a window.

“You’re going to stay in this place for a little while, okay?” Sungjong asks coming into the view. I see him standing there next to the other guy who I don’t recognize at all.

“Don’t worry, we’ve already stripped you of your phone,” the other guys says holding it up. “I don’t think L, your husband, is going to be able to get in contact with you for a while. And in case you’re wondering, you’re just going to live in here, okay? That’s it. That’s all we’re really asking…for now,” he smirks as he closes the door. I hear him lock it.

I’m stuck in here. I’m stuck in this room with no way of getting out. The window could be a possibility, but it’s too small. Are Cecelia and Sungyeol stuck in the same situation as me? Are they alone in separate rooms or are they together? I hope they’re together, it would be better for Cecelia if she at least had an adult there.

I slouch down onto the bed and stare at the ceiling. It’s a decent bed, it’s not shabby or beaten up. I can’t believe that I got kidnapped. I can’t believe that I got captured by someone that Myungsoo considers a trustworthy doctor, a friend. He has to know by now, right? He probably stormed in the room and saw that we were no longer there. What is he thinking about now? Is he hurt about the whole situation? He probably is, he has to be. It’s a friend that he trusted about my condition, to get a checkup about Sunggyu when it turns out that this guy was working with Sunggyu the whole time. He and I were both betrayed.

I just hope that I get out of this situation fast; I hope that Cecelia and Sungyeol are alright. I hope this finishes soon.

 

Myungsoo’s POV

“Why did you call me over here?” Woohyun asks walking into the living room as one of the maids lets him in. I stare at the things from elementary school that are now scattered around the living room. There has to be some clue, something that would let me figure out why I’m being targeted by Sunggyu, the person that I should be targeting if I still loved Uee. “Earth to Myungsoo.”

I snap out of my daze as Woohyun waves his hand in front of my face. “Oh, you’re here, hyung,” I say nonchalantly as I flip through some pictures that the maids and nannies had taken in hopes of showing my parents what their child was doing during school. Turns out that I never knew they took these pictures primarily because my parents never saw them. They never cared enough to even look at them.

“Why did you call me? What’s all this stuff? Is that you in elementary school?” Woohyun asks with a laugh.

“Yah! I’m trying to find something out.”

“Then why did you call me?”

“I need your help.”

“My help?”

“Allie…” I begin, “Allie…she…Sungyeol…Cecelia…” I can’t say anything, I can only say their names.

“Myungsoo, what’s going on? I don’t think I’ve ever seen you this distressed since your wedding was called off,” Woohyun says sitting next to me.

“They were kidnapped, Woohyun. They were kidnapped by Sungjong and I bet Sunggyu is behind it, too,” I say in a soft voice. “There has to be something that makes him want to target me, if I only knew.”

“I’ll help you,” Woohyun says as he picks up some things. “What do you remember from elementary school? Anything? Anything that could possibly help you find out where they took them?”

“Allie was my best friend in elementary school. You know the girl that I would always tell you about when I was sent to that dreaded boarding school, that’s Allie. My first love. I remember that Sunggyu, Allie, and I used to be friends, but why would he want to target me? Why does he say that Allie is his?”

“Did he have a crush on Allie?” Woohyun asks after some serious thinking. “Do you know if he had a crush on her?” I shake my head. “If he had a crush on her and if you were her best friend, then this could be out of jealousy.”

“It was fourteen years ago,” I say. “Why keep a grudge for fourteen years?”

“Then something else bigger had to happen in elementary school,” Woohyun states. “I didn’t go to your elementary school so I have no idea.”

“But we were neighborhood friends,” I say. “There has to be something.” I think about it even harder. Woohyun and I lived in the same neighborhood. Allie, Sunggyu, and I attended the same elementary school and I met some of the other guys because of Sunggyu and Woohyun, so I knew some of them as I came back from the boarding school and went to high school.

“Let’s call Hoya,” Woohyun says taking out his phone.

“You still keep in contact with him?” I ask.

“No, but I have a phone number from our high school years. Granted they weren’t that long ago, so I highly doubt that he actually changed his number, right? It doesn’t hurt to give it a try. Plus, maybe he kept in contact with Sungjong or Sunggyu ever since the discord.”

“Maybe,” I mutter. “We have to find them, hyung. We have to find them like or life depends on it.”

“We will, Myungsoo. Don’t give up.”

“I’m serious,” I say looking into his eyes. “I love Allie. I’m not letting her go this time.” Woohyun gives me a simple nod before he continues with phoning Hoya.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myungsoo confessed to Woohyun that he loved Allie, what will he go through to rescue the three of them? How will Woohyun provide help to Myungsoo? Will Hoya have any answers for Woohyun and Myungsoo? Where are Sungyeol and Cecelia being kept? How are they going to be rescued? What is the bigger conflict that makes Sunggyu target Myungsoo out of all people?

 

Chapter 17 is up. Hope you guys enjoyed :D It was drama filled and full of twists :)