My Fiancée’s Life

The Other Side of Cinderella

Myungsoo’s POV

“Today’s an exciting day, isn’t it?” Sungyeol asks coming up and putting his arm around me.

“An exciting day, my ,” I say. “You wouldn’t be happy if you had to do this.”

“Who knows, you may fall in love with you.”

I scoff at the statement. “Fall in love? Are you crazy? You surely seem like you are.”

“Hey guys,” Sungyeol says to the rest of the group, he just totally ignores me. Today is the day that I’m meeting the woman that I’m supposed to get married to when I graduate high school. Today isn’t going to be a happy day. “Myungsoo here is going to meet his fiancée.”

“Lucky,” I hear Sungjong comment.

“Hey, you wouldn’t be feeling the same way if it were you getting married,” I growl at him.

“Does anyone know if Woohyun is going to come back for your wedding?” Dongwoo asks.

“Has anyone actually kept in contact with Woohyun after he left elementary school?” Sunggyu asks. Everyone shakes their head. “Then I guess we’re just going to have to find a way to contact him, right?”

“I guess?” Hoya asks looking at everyone.

“Let’s get to class,” I say walking away. “We don’t want to be late again.”

“Well, look at Mr. Punctual,” Sungyeol says catching up with me. We’re both in the same class. We say goodbye to the rest of the boys who go their separate ways. “Have you thought about your future yet?” Sungyeol randomly asks as we sit down in the classroom.

“What are you talking about?” I ask.

“Well, your future,” Sungyeol says not expanding on the subject whatsoever.

“I’m going to get married and take over from one of my parents. It will probably be my mother, running her clothing line,” I calmly state as I take all of my books out and set them evenly on my desk. I like to be an organized person; I like to have things in order. If things aren’t in order, it bugs me and I’ll complain about it incessantly until it’s changed. Sungyeol knows that feeling more than anyone else since he’s always with me.

“That sounds like a boring life,” Sungyeol complains.

“Well too bad, it’s my life, not yours,” I say before the teacher comes in.

As soon as the teacher comes in, I’m quiet and I pay attention to the class, no matter how boring it may be. I quickly glance over to look at Sungyeol during the middle of one of the thousands of classes that it feels like I’m sitting through. I roll my eyes when I realize that he’s sleeping. How in the world is he going to pass school by sleeping through classes all of the time? This guy really has to have some sense put into him.

Finally, the bell rings for lunch. As if his body automatically knows, Sungyeol wakes up a second before the bell rings and is the first one out of the classroom without even waiting to hear the assignment from the teacher like everyone else. After successfully packing up my bags, I glance out the window before leaving the classroom.

I do a double take looking out the window, blinking my eyes and rubbing them before I look outside again, but the person has already past. “It’s been what, five years now?” I ask myself rubbing the top of my head. “There’s no way that I’d run into you, I was the one that left first. I don’t even remember your name anymore.”

Making my way into the cafeteria, I feel two people on both sides of me and they both have their arms around me. It doesn’t take me a second more to realize that it’s Dongwoo and Hoya.

“T minus what, two hours until you meet your wife-to-be?” Dongwoo asks looking at Hoya. I don’t even bother to give them the time of day, it’s normal behavior for them like this.

As we walk past the lunch tables, a bunch of girls swoon over us. It’s not unusual, ever since we started Infinite; girls have always been all over us. Maybe it’s the reason why we started it in the first place, to have a group of friends where looks didn’t matter. I mean one look at Dongwoo, especially when he laughs, and someone might wonder how he got into the group. Another look at Sunggyu and one will wonder if he can even see when he’s walking around. As far as Sungjong goes, someone might think that he’s a girl who is just pretending to act a guy. Many wonder if Sungyeol is ever actually acting his age, they wonder if Hoya is an animal in a human costume. Then with me, they wonder if I’m some robot who is attempting to function in the real world. Yes, all of us have our own flaws, yet we all have the looks that girls fawn over. We all have our own special characteristics.

“You have to at least show some excitement,” Hoya says as we sit down at the table. He nudges me in the side and I just look at him.

“Do you think you would be happy about meeting the one that you’re supposed to be married with?” I ask looking at him. “I’m not happy about it at all.”

“Then why don’t you put up a fit like those other rich kids that have to go through with arranged marriages?” Sungjong asks as he eats some yogurt.

“Because, they’re my parents,” I whisper.

“We’ve heard you complain about your parents hundreds of times,” Sunggyu says, “why are you doing something for them when they do nothing for you?”

“It’s not their fault,” I comment. “They’re busy with work. I completely understand them.”

“We know how you feel,” Sungyeol says as he munches loudly on an apple. “All of our parents are busy with work. No one blames you.”

“So, do you know anything about her?” Sungjong asks attempting to change the subject.

“No, not much,” I admit. “I only know that her parents are apparently some very influential people. I don’t even know their name. I only know that her name is Uee.”

“An interesting name,” Sunggyu comments. “Is she from overseas?”

“I’m not sure,” I say. I don’t know anything about the person that I’m supposed to marry; I just know that we’re supposed to get married our senior year in high school, which thankfully is a couple of years away from now. I’m at least thankful that I’m not going to meet her on the day of the marriage. That would just be awkward, especially when I would have to kiss her.

That’s when it suddenly hits me. I’m going to be spending the rest of my life with the woman that I meet today. I don’t even know how old she is. What if she’s like some cougar who can’t get married to anyone and I’m stuck with her? “Ugh, this is so confusing,” I say lowering my head into my arms and putting it down onto the table.

“Are you okay?” the guys ask looking at me concerned.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” I say lifting my head up and straightening my shirt.

“Looks like someone has the stress of being married.”

“So?” I ask as I get up from the table.

“Myungsoo, where are you going?” Sungyeol calls out.

“Clearing my head,” I say as I make my way to the roof.

In about two hours, I’m going to meet the person that I’m going to spend the rest of my life with. It doesn’t make sense. I never thought that my parents would put me through this. I thought that I would at least be able to choose what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, and if not that, I would at least be able to choose who I wanted to spend the rest of my life with, but that’s being taken away from me, too.

Up on the roof, I stare out at the city. That’s when I see her again. This time, I’m able to get a closer look, a longer look, and my heart suddenly hurts.

“It was just a stupid child promise,” I say as I rest my chin on the fencing around the roof. “I left her, there’s no way that she would ever remember me. I don’t even remember her name, I’m such a bad person.” I look at the ground and kick a nearby stone. “You’re getting married, Kim Myungsoo, you can’t be looking at other women now. Not that you ever did, but it doesn’t matter now.”

I watch her as she goes into a nearby store of the school. She looks exactly the same as before, well, maybe a couple of differences since we’re now in high school, but she looks almost the same. I think I would’ve recognized her, maybe. Give me a couple of more years and I don’t think I’ll be able to anymore. Maybe she’s having a much better life than I am. Then again, maybe she’s not. Maybe she’s looking for me. Maybe she’s wondering where I disappeared to after I left, but I can’t talk to her. I’m getting married, I’m getting engaged.

No, I’m not going to talk to her. I was the one that walked out of her life, even if we were in elementary school; I was the one that left her. She probably hates me, she probably forgot about me. This is better. If we never meet each other again, this is better.

I hear the bell ring meaning that it’s the end of the lunch period. I slowly make my way back to the classroom as the minutes until I meet my fiancée countdown.

“My son looks so handsome,” my mother says as she straightens out my suit jacket. School has ended about an hour ago, and now I’m on the way to meet my fiancée. This single day, both of my parents decided to clear their schedules. They never cleared it when I had something to do; they only do it when there’s something in it for them.

“Are you sure that you guys don’t’ have anything to do?” I ask looking at the both of them in the car as the driver drives us to the location. I don’t even know where we’re going. That’s how much I know about this marriage.

“We’re positive,” my father says putting his hand on my shoulder. “Are you nervous?”

“No,” I say with a straight face. My parents were never concerned about me before, so why should they be concerned about me now? Why the sudden change?

Oh yeah, I’m getting engaged, that’s why.

The car slowly comes to a stop as we pull into a fancy looking restaurant. Of course our parents would decide to meet here. If she’s as famous as my parents say that she is, then our parents would want to meet nowhere less than the best restaurant in Seoul.

I follow my parents as they enter the restaurant. I attempt to look like I’m happy and actually enjoying going to such a meeting, but I highly doubt there’s anyone like that. Arranged marriages are well…arranged. What more is there to say? I’m being forced to marry someone. I have to marry someone that I don’t love. What is love?

“Oh, you guys are already here?” I hear my mother ask putting on her best voice. She has different voice tones. One for when she’s really mad, really happy, and then there’s one annoying one that I can’t stand for when she’s doing her best to impress people. That’s the one that she’s doing right now. I faintly roll my eyes as my mother ushers me to go forward next to her. “And here is our lovely son, Myungsoo,” she says introducing me in front of these strangers.

“Hello,” I say bowing, “I’m Kim Myungsoo.” I don’t dare look at the people in the eyes because I don’t know what I’ll be faced with. I don’t know whether this person will be fat or thin, pretty or ugly, old or young. None of those things really matter to me, besides the being old part. I don’t think I could handle being married to someone who is the same age as my mom. Could someone say awkward?

“A boy with such good manners. Your parents must be proud,” the woman says pinching my cheeks. I’ll take a good guess and say that she’s the mother. I look at her and realize that she’s actually not that old, so there’s hope that her child is probably around the same age that I am. Hope bubbles inside of me.

“Here, sit down,” the other man says, who I’m guessing is the husband.

My parents and I sit down opposite of these people. “Our daughter isn’t here yet,” the mother says apologizing.

“No need to apologize, I’m sure that she’s busy. Myungsoo is busy, too. We just so happened to catch him on a very good day,” my father says.

“Good day my ,” I mutter under my breath.

“Did you say something, sweetie?” my mother asks patting my back.

“Ah, no,” I say shaking my head. “I was simply saying how your daughter must be a very busy person.”

“Of course, she is very involved in the school,” her mother says boasting about her. So, my future mother-in-law is one of those people. She’s the kind like my mother, the one to boast about their child doing something better than another’s just to make themselves feel like they were part of their child’s life. It’s typical around rich people. Well, around rich adults. They always feel like they have to one up everyone else. It gets on my nerves, but I could never tell my parents that.

After about ten minutes, I see a girl running in from the front of the restaurant.

“I’m so sorry,” she says quickly bowing. She’s wearing a black dress that looks kind of tight onto her body and her makeup looks a little smeared and her hair looks like it’s in a little mess. Thankfully, she looks like she’s about the same age as I am, if not a couple of years or so older? Or maybe that’s just the makeup. But, do I smell alcohol and cigarettes on her?

Her parents don’t notice anything, though, and neither do mine. If they do notice something, they don’t say anything about it. To her parents, she probably seems like an angel. She probably seems like an angel to my parents, too and I finally see why. I take a good look at her face and see it immediately.

She…is…beautiful…

Okay, so maybe her hair is a mess and maybe her makeup is smeared and maybe it looks like she just came from a club, but putting all of that aside, she looks beautiful. Is this love at first sight? Is this what love feels like? My heart is racing as I watch her fix her hair and dress to make it look like she’s dressed halfway appropriately to meet my parents and to meet me.

“Uee,” her mother says to her. So this is Uee, well, her beauty sure matches the uniqueness of her name. “This is the Kim Family.” She introduces both of my parents, to which Uee does a polite bow and greeting. Her mother reaches me. “And this is their handsome and dashing son, Myungsoo.” Immediately upon hearing my name, I stand up and offer my hand to Uee.

“Hello, I’m Kim Myungsoo.”

“Hello,” she says looking back at me and shaking my hand. “I’m Uee.”

“Well, now that we have introductions out of the way,” my mother says moving the conversation forward. “Why don’t we talk a little bit about the wedding? I know that it’s not going to be until our children graduate, or at least until Myungsoo graduates from high school since Uee is a couple of years older, but there’s no harm in settling all of the details and letting the children live out their engaged lifestyle.”

“Of course,” Uee’s mother says with a wide smile.

I think that this arranged marriage just might go well.

Before I realize it, two years have already passed from me being engaged to Uee. I’m already a junior in high school and Uee has already graduated, along with some of my friends from Infinite. Sunggyu and Dongwoo have graduated. Woohyun would be on his way to graduating if he was still in Korea. As far as we know, we think he’s in Europe learning how to cook. His parents are really focused on him becoming a chef and he is too, otherwise he would’ve never agreed to leave after elementary school.

“So, are we going out tonight?” Uee asks me as she puts in one of her hoop earnings that I love so much.

We both moved into the same house after our first year of our engagement. Both of our parents thought that it would be good if we got to know each other better, and they didn’t mind if we wanted to have a child before we got married. I wasn’t so keen on that idea and Uee didn’t say anything about the subject. It was like she was avoiding it, so maybe she was nervous about it as much as I was.

“Sure,” I say walking over to her and wrapping my arms around her waist. I pull her close and smell her hair. I love her scent; I think I could get drunk off of just smelling it. It may sound weird, but I’m pretty sure that I love Uee. I think this arranged marriage couldn’t get any better. I’m happy that my parents actually did something good for me once in my life. “You know,” I say as I gently rock us back and forth. “I love you.”

I don’t wait for her to respond before crashing my lips onto hers. It feels like I’m being taken into a new high. I don’t know. I guess this is what love feels like, needing someone and them needing back. I don’t want this feeling to ever fade. Ever. I promise that I’m going to be with Uee for the rest of my life. Forever. If there’s one promise I’ll keep forever, it’s that I’m going to be spend the rest of my life with Uee and love her unconditionally as long as I shall live.

“Let’s get going,” Uee says pulling me to the car.

“Of course,” I say following behind her.

Within a couple of minutes, we end up at a famous club together. We’re regulars here and even though we’re underage, well, at least I am, no one stops either of us because of our parents. For once, I’m kind of glad that my parents are who they are. They are the ones that set me up with Uee and they are the ones that allow me to spend more time with her. For once, I think I actually feel thankful towards them. I never thought that I would say that thing, ever.

“I’ll see you later, babe,” Uee says quickly kissing me on the lips before she goes off to meet some of her friends. It’s normal when we go out to clubs. She parties with her friends and I hang out with some of mine.

Infinite doesn’t go to the clubs too often. They say that they always have something else to do, although I know that Dongwoo probably goes sometimes, the same goes with Sunggyu, but I never see them. They probably go to some different ones than what I go to. Sungyeol went with me once, but he said that it wasn’t his style for the time being. He suggested that we should party in college, but I just said that we should party now, what’s the point in waiting when there’s a whole mysterious world out there?

As I make my way through the crowd, girls look at me. I know they’re probably drooling all over my looks and I mean, they should. Two years ago, I was someone that wouldn’t go anywhere near clubs, I was all about school and nothing else. I was all about pleasing my parents for the future, but Uee…Uee has changed my life. Now I’ve learned how to let loose a little bit and although school is still important for me, I’ve learned how to balance both school and partying. It’s a good balance, I think.

After who knows how long, I see Sungyeol over by the entrance. “Hyung!” I say going over and hugging him.

“Myungsoo,” he says pushing me away from him, “you’re drunk.”

“No I’m not,” I say shaking my head. If I’m drunk, I can’t tell. Maybe I am. All I know is that I’m having a good time.

“Yes you are. Uee called me and told me to come pick you up.”

“Uee?” I ask. My ears perk up immediately hearing the name.

“Yes, Uee,” Sungyeol says as he attempts to drag me out.

“I love Uee,” I say as I feel my arms wrap around Sungyeol again. It’s like I have no control over my body, or my mouth. Maybe I really am drunk.

“Do you?” Sungyeol asks. My head suddenly hurts as Sungyeol quickly apologizes.

“What was that?” I ask pointing a finger at him.

“You hit your head,” Sungyeol says. “If you only learned how to walk straight sometimes.”

“Walk straight? I can walk straight,” I say as I feel my body move.

“You’re drunk, just admit it already,” Sungyeol says as he successfully gets me into the seat. I then feel him buckle my seatbelt.

“Where’s Uee?” I ask looking around.

“She’s not here. She said that she’s going to come home later. You’re going to bed when you get home.”

“I need to go home with Uee.”

“What’s up with you and Uee?”

“She’s my fiancée, she’s almost my wife,” I say as I halfway close my eyes. I’m feeling tired all of a sudden. I don’t hear Sungyeol say anything. I turn and point my finger at him. “You should find a wife.” I sling my arm as far around Sungyeol’s shoulder as I can get it since I’m buckled in the seat in a moving car. “Maybe you would lighten up some.”

“What happened to you?” Sungyeol asks.

“What happened to me?” I ask pointing at myself. “What happened to you?” I ask pointing a finger at him, yet again.

“Nothing happened to me,” Sungyeol angrily says.

“Are you sure?” I ask trying to look into his eyes.

“You’re drunk, why do I even bother talking to you?”

“I’m not drunk,” I say shaking my head and wiggling my finger.

“Yes you are,” Sungyeol says.

I don’t know how much time has passed, but I feel Sungyeol attempting to drag me again. This time, I’m guessing we’re going into my house because I feel Sungyeol feeling around my pockets.

“Hey, you’re not allowed to sleep with me,” I say as I try to push him away from me.

“I’m trying to find the key to your house!” Sungyeol yells.

I guess he found it since the door opens and I walk inside, stumbling and all. “Home sweet home,” I say spreading my arms wide. Suddenly, the room becomes bright and I shield my eyes. “Brightness, turn out the light!” I yell at Sungyeol.

“No, you’re going to trip on something.”

“Fine,” I say as I attempt to walk up the stairs, but I feel Sungyeol’s arms around me. “I can walk by myself, I’m not a baby.”

“What has gotten into you, Kim Myungsoo?”

“Me? What about you?”

“Ever since you met Uee, you’ve been partying nonstop. Don’t you think that it’s time to put an end to your partying days?”

“An end?” I ask. “They’ve just started!”

“I don’t think that Uee is a good person for you.”

“What are you talking about?” I ask getting defensive. “Uee is so a good person for me. I love her and she loves me.”

“Have you ever heard her say that she loves you?” Sungyeol asks as I feel myself get thrown onto the bed. “Just go to sleep, but this is the last time that I’ll ever pick you up again. You can get alcohol poisoning and have liver failure for all I care. You don’t care about anyone anymore, Myungsoo. What happened to the you that was so serious about school and about his future? What happened to the you that was always there for his friends? I don’t know you anymore, Infinite doesn’t know you anymore. As far as I’m concerned, you and I, our friendship, we’re done.”

As soon as the door closes with a bang, I quickly cover my ears as I crawl underneath the blankets to get a good night’s sleep.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, the past of how Myungsoo and Uee met and then a little time jump within a flashback to move the story along a little bit. The whole chapter was told in Myungsoo's point of view. This one was the first half of the engagement the next chapter will be the second half, along with their falling out. It will also be told fully in Myungsoo's point of view.

 

Who is the person that Myungsoo saw when he was in the classroom and on the roof? Does Uee really love Myungsoo? Is it an act? What does Uee do at the clubs when Myungsoo gets drunk and goes home? If Sungyeol told Myungsoo that he and him were no longer friends, how did they get their friendship back?

 

Another chapter is up. Hope you enjoyed :D